Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Dec 17, 2012 12:31 PM

May 2012
"Good things come to those who wait."

What's wrong with waiting, anyway? It will be aired anyway.

For an enjoyable and good show, I can wait.
Dec 17, 2012 12:33 PM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
symbv said:
Danielcook said:
I'm typing this on my phone, and it sometimes adds a period to my spaces.
Don't expect people to type properly.
I guess that is one thing that makes it funny to read your posts. Anyway, that you posted that question in this thread at the beginning is already funny.

Yeah mang,

I guess you gotta entertain the yourself while you wait for your show to air again.

Why are you trying to troll this show? It's not even in the top 3000 in MAL.
Dec 17, 2012 12:34 PM

Oct 2012
SetsukoHara said:
Danielcook said:
symbv said:
Danielcook said:
I'm typing this on my phone, and it sometimes adds a period to my spaces.
Don't expect people to type properly.
I guess that is one thing that makes it funny to read your posts. Anyway, that you posted that question in this thread at the beginning is already funny.

Yeah mang,

I guess you gotta entertain the yourself while you wait for your show to air again.

Why are you trying to troll this show? It's not even in the top 3000 in MAL.

I'm not trying to troll anything, but I asked a simple question now people are hatin on me and shizz..

We can't express our opinion without someone getting their feelings hurt nowadays?
Dec 17, 2012 12:42 PM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
I'm not trying to troll anything, but I asked a simple question now people are hatin on me and shizz..
SetsukoHara's point, and I think others including I have mentioned before, is your "simple question" is just so general that it is puzzling that you have to pick this anime to ask this "simple question", which I find it to be weird and funny. There are tons of anime without a male main character, what is the point of asking that question in this anime? No wonder people suspect you are trolling.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 17, 2012 12:50 PM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Danielcook said:
SetsukoHara's point, and I think others including I have mentioned before, is your "simple question" is just so general that it is puzzling that you have to pick this anime to ask this "simple question", which I find it to be weird and funny. There are tons of anime without a male main character, what is the point of asking that question in this anime? No wonder people suspect you are trolling.

I'd would have watched this show if it was called "guys and tanks. "

And about the aforementioned in the title too.
Star_BoyDec 17, 2012 12:53 PM
Dec 17, 2012 1:02 PM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
And since it is not called "guys and tanks", I guess it means you are not watching the show?

And posting a stereotyped and generalized criticism for a show you do not watch seems to make you look even more like you are trolling.
symbvDec 17, 2012 1:06 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 17, 2012 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Danielcook said:
And since it is not called "guys and tanks", I guess it means you are not watching the show?

And posting criticism for a show you do not watch seems to make you look even more like you are trolling.

I watched 3 and a half episodes of this.

And I said if it was also about the title.
Dec 17, 2012 1:07 PM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
Then what do you mean by "I'd would have watched this show if it was called "guys and tanks. "" ?
Danielcook said:
what about the title? You are also not happy with the title?

Dec 17, 2012 1:11 PM

Oct 2012
symbv said:
Danielcook said:
Then what do you mean by "I'd would have watched this show if it was called "guys and tanks. "" ?
Danielcook said:
what about the title? You are also not happy with the title?

I would have continued watching, and maybe I should have rephrased that.

And If it was based on guys and tanks instead of girls and tanks as well.
Dec 17, 2012 1:14 PM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
I would have continued watching, and maybe I should have rephrased that.
And If it was based on guys and tanks instead of girls and tanks as well.
Well, it is not as if you did not know what you were getting into. The title made it clear that it is a show about girls and panzer. Not every title is so clear about what it shows but this one does. And yet you watched a bit of it and then complained there is no male main character in it? No wonder you are suspected of trolling by people.
symbvDec 17, 2012 1:26 PM

Dec 17, 2012 1:22 PM
Oct 2012
Danielcook said:
Lol you guys are funny.

Have fun waiting till March for your "good". Show.

Lmao.

Daniel, you know how your mom is always telling you the reason you don't have any friends is because you always sound like a smug little twit?

This is what she was talking about.
Takuan_SohoDec 17, 2012 1:44 PM
Dec 17, 2012 1:47 PM

Oct 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Danielcook said:
Lol you guys are funny.

Lmao.

Daniel, you know how your mom is always telling you the reason you don't have any friends is because you always sound like a smug little twit?

This is what she was talking about.

Good one.
Dec 17, 2012 2:50 PM

Nov 2011
Danielcook said:
Lol you guys are funny.

Lmao.

I believe one of the reasons its delayed(correct me if i'm wrong), is because they never planned on a 2nd season, so now they are remaking the last 2 episodes so that they can have a 2nd season.

Which makes it more of a good thing in the long run.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 17, 2012 8:31 PM

Nov 2012
So the series really isn't deep or incredibly brilliant, and the production of the anime strikes me as a "by the seat of one's pants" style due to the delays, the rush of new characters late into the season and (maybe) major last minute changes to the finale.

Still, let us consider a group of enthusiasts that I'll call the "amateur WWII historians". I believe that they're just as likely to throw money around as the mecha anime fans (Tamiya released a plastic 1/35 Panther in 1961...how about that, Bandai?). There's been tons of literature about military vehicles (Osprey Publishing in particular) for these people to gobble up. Maybe a select few of them have grandfathers that have actually served as a tank crewman. Thus, not exactly an insignificant market, in terms of merchandise buyers.

Would it be fair to say that, until now, there hasn't really been an anime series that directly targets them?

Its true that they came out in force for shows like Sora No Woto and Valkyria Chronicles to point out every historical reference, and odd cameos like the King Tiger appearance in Zero no Tsukaima kinda catered to them. Strike Witches definitely covered the airborne half of the fans, but did new episode discussions devolve into This Fighter Sucks and Hurricane vs Bf109? Did Tamiya see a spike in sales for 1/48 Shturmoviks? (I'm honestly curious, I wasn't around back then.)

Thus, Girls und Panzer: a sports anime that can appeal to an almost untapped crowd the same way a mecha anime can. In that context, is its success really that surprising?
Dec 17, 2012 8:33 PM

Feb 2011
Danielcook said:
Lol you guys are funny.
lol this Daniel guy is seriously funny, I just can't stop laughing reading his questions and stuff.

rederoin said:

I believe one of the reasons its delayed(correct me if i'm wrong), is because they never planned on a 2nd season, so now they are remaking the last 2 episodes so that they can have a 2nd season.

The thing is, this guy never wanted a good thing happen to this show in the first place :(
The Game.
Dec 17, 2012 8:48 PM

Oct 2012
tachime said:
Danielcook said:
Lol you guys are funny.
lol this Daniel guy is seriously funny, I just can't stop laughing reading his questions and stuff.

rederoin said:

The thing is, this guy never wanted a good thing happen to this show in the first place :(

Bro, i hope you mean that in a good way. :)
Dec 17, 2012 9:52 PM

Sep 2012
SatelliteCannon said:
Thus, Girls und Panzer: a sports anime that can appeal to an almost untapped crowd the same way a mecha anime can. In that context, is its success really that surprising?
What you said are all good points, but I think saying that because of this its success is not surprising is dismissing too much of what the staff did right in this time. At the end, your points serve as a good starting point and a premise on which to build the anime and it also successfully identifies certain groups of consumers where it may hold unique appeal. That said, there is also substantial risk of it - it may end up withered by trying to appeal to both the ordinary anime fans (who love seeing girls attractively portrayed) and the military fans (who love seeing tanks attractively portrayed) but end up being rejected or ignored by both. Just look at Upotte. There is never an anime that focuses so much on individual gun models and it has an all-girl cast, but it never goes beyond the very small niche of hardcore fans. So I would still call its success to be truly surprising, given the lack of high acclaim or intensive attention before the anime was aired and even after the first 2 or 3 episodes were out. At the end I believe beyond the foundation and premise you already mentioned, the factors of the screenplay and series composition, in which mainstream sports drama elements are skilfully deployed and balance of hardwork, friendship, humor and thrill are well kept; and of the execution, in terms of rightly deciding a top level of attention to details of the tank drawing and panzer action, along with abundance of trivia and references on military or non-military matters, are all very important. Its success is not sealed just because it is the first sports anime that can appeal to an almost untapped crowd the same way a mecha anime can. That is only a good start. The success only came after it did a lot of other things after that.

Dec 18, 2012 3:16 AM

Oct 2009
I guess the difference between Upotte or Strike witches compared to Girl und Panzer is the existence of moe anthropomorphism, and I think this point is quite pivotal to people opinion about the focus of the series.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 19, 2012 2:39 AM
Dec 2010
To me it's the ultimate combination of 2D moe and real-life technical accuracy that completely nails this kind of shows. For people like me who are maniacal about military hardware of all sorts and appreciate Japanese moe-style art, it hits 2 spots at one time. The only way they could possibly make it better would be to hit my third spot, and that would be esports. Hence, a WoT-GaruPan combo would be nothing short of ulitma-awesomesauce for me.
Dec 19, 2012 6:15 AM

May 2008
I give this anime a try only because I am somewhat familiar with WWII military, especially tanks. Nevertheless I would be very skeptical on the idea of mixing school girls with war machines and calling it a school activity / competitive sport; it's bizzare, just like many new things coming up for Japanese subculture these days IMHO.

I can't take the story or the characters seriously, and the tanks there are even more agile than the ones I play in mainstream video games. In this context only the tanks' appearance in the anime are what targets me as an audience, and... Well, there are a lot of references or cameos here and there that can resonate the military fans. This ranges from military vehicles (models and big ones), songs (e.g. Katyusha), other media (Kurokishi Monogatari, Kelly's Heroes etc), or even little trivial matters like StuGs aren't really "Panzers" or tanks.

The whole thing feels a bit short though, and the fact that there will be two recap episodes in total for something that's 12 episodes long (last 2 won't air until March 2012) makes it a little short from really wanting to get me on the edge of my seat. Nevertheless I was originally expecting it to be a bad fallout, but so far it did its job okay I think. No wonder some people call this series the dark horse of the season.
Dec 19, 2012 7:03 AM
Oct 2012
quentinlau said:
I can't take the story or the characters seriously,

Thank you for responding. Always nice when someone shares their comments about the show without making snide comments about those who watch the show.

I do have a question I want to ask you in all seriousness, and I am asking since you seem an analytical person.

I have always been curious about the critique "I can't take X show seriously." I can understand the complaint when the show states that it wants to be taken "seriously" and fails at it, but I don't understand it all with shows that aren't supposed to be taken seriously from the start. This complaint has been leveled by other people at other shows, so I was curious as to the source of it.

Is it you don't like light-hearted dramas such as GuP, or is it that you had more expectations about the show from the beginning, or is it something else I am missing that you are commenting on? Since this is your personal opinion, I am not saying you are wrong (I can't), but I do want to understand. So any response would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dec 20, 2012 1:53 AM

Sep 2008
This show is not meant to be taken seriously to begin with, don't you see those pink tank and gold tank?
These little girls are making a big deal out of this tank battles, singing national anthems while at it, firing at each other with live ammo, and yet, in the end of day, everybody came out unscathed, lol.

Also there are various national anthems being played in the background, I even recognized one from my country.I know nothing about tanks myself, but this show has been a pretty good entertainment.
Dec 20, 2012 3:18 AM

May 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
quentinlau said:
I can't take the story or the characters seriously,

Thank you for responding. Always nice when someone shares their comments about the show without making snide comments about those who watch the show.

I do have a question I want to ask you in all seriousness, and I am asking since you seem an analytical person.

I have always been curious about the critique "I can't take X show seriously." I can understand the complaint when the show states that it wants to be taken "seriously" and fails at it, but I don't understand it all with shows that aren't supposed to be taken seriously from the start. This complaint has been leveled by other people at other shows, so I was curious as to the source of it.

Is it you don't like light-hearted dramas such as GuP, or is it that you had more expectations about the show from the beginning, or is it something else I am missing that you are commenting on? Since this is your personal opinion, I am not saying you are wrong (I can't), but I do want to understand. So any response would be appreciated.

Thanks!

You have a good point regarding on the phrase "tak(ing) something seriously". The concerned sentence in my previous post was mainly regarded on myself, rather than the anime itself. I did overlook the fact that Girls und Panzer is not supposed to be taken seriously, hence it's not expecting viewers to watch it in that mood. This is more likely got to do with me being a rather serious person, hence I don't watch many llight-hearted dramas or those under slice of life genre.

So in a way, you can say that one like me takes the incompatible and possibly inappropriate mood to watch the anime like Girls und Panzer.
Dec 20, 2012 6:46 AM
Oct 2012
quentinlau said:
You have a good point regarding on the phrase "tak(ing) something seriously". The concerned sentence in my previous post was mainly regarded on myself, rather than the anime itself. I did overlook the fact that Girls und Panzer is not supposed to be taken seriously, hence it's not expecting viewers to watch it in that mood. This is more likely got to do with me being a rather serious person, hence I don't watch many llight-hearted dramas or those under slice of life genre.

So in a way, you can say that one like me takes the incompatible and possibly inappropriate mood to watch the anime like Girls und Panzer.

Thank you for the serious response, I do really appreciate it.

People have different tastes and different preferences for what they want to watch, and because time is a limited commodity, when they invest time into a show that is of a different genre then what they expected, it is natural that they be disappointed that it wasn't what they expected.
Dec 20, 2012 9:41 AM

May 2008
Takuan_Soho said:
Thank you for the serious response, I do really appreciate it.

People have different tastes and different preferences for what they want to watch, and because time is a limited commodity, when they invest time into a show that is of a different genre then what they expected, it is natural that they be disappointed that it wasn't what they expected.

"Disappointed" won't be fitting here, because I don't expect much in the first place. If I do I would have expressed my regret already by now.

It's just that I don't really get into the characters. It's not necessarily a "big minus sign", and it doesn't mean I don't like them, but they unfortunately seem be rather forgettable to me.

I pretty much watch Girls und Panzers just for the vehicles and out of curiosity.
Dec 20, 2012 4:26 PM

Dec 2011
Danielcook said:
symbv said:
Danielcook said:

And about the aforementioned in the title too.

The way you speak makes you look like you are trolling instead of asking others opinion. To me its interesting because the mix of moe and tankery was well executed.
Dec 20, 2012 4:48 PM

Oct 2012
Lesson learned. Dont make threads bashing a particular series because the other people have biased opinions, especially in front of those with specific kinds of avys and sigs which clearly explain their anime preferences.

I hate to sound like an asshole on MAL, and looking back at my posts, it did seem like i was flamebaiting.

Sorry guys, forgive me.
Dec 20, 2012 5:22 PM
Oct 2012
Danielcook said:
Lesson learned. Dont make threads bashing a particular series because the other people have biased opinions, especially in front of those with specific kinds of avys and sigs which clearly explain their anime preferences.

I hate to sound like an asshole on MAL, and looking back at my posts, it did seem like i was flamebaiting.

Sorry guys, forgive me.

Oh dear, even in your apology you feel the need to insult people.

You do realize that this is what most people are retaliating against you for, don't you? Had you stated your criticism in a more neutral statement none of your problems would have happened.

If you think you are subtle you are not, people can tell when you are being condescending, so you shouldn't be surprised when they respond in a like fashion. If you want to criticize the show, then criticize it, state what your objections are. We may respond why we disagree with you, but you will get the same respect your question possesses.
Dec 20, 2012 5:42 PM
Oct 2012
insan3soldiern said:
TheHandOfShame said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Give it time, in the west this show started with a negative buzz (Strike Witches with Tanks, Girls and Pantsu? What, girls in tanks, how ridiculous), and it will take some time to get over this initial reaction and for people to start judging it for what it is, a pretty interesting and most enjoyable show.

Of the three previews ANN had for the show, two were negative, and one thread I've been reading started off negative and dismissive, but has since then turned very positive. People thought it was going to be lame fanservice moeshit, or some mediocre SoL show with occasional tanks in it.

This is my favorite scene so far:

It made me laugh at first because of how unexpected it was, but it's also a very earnest scene that shows how seriously all the girls take sensha-do.

*Watches*.....*Promptly adds to PTW list*

Honestly, after I saw the Katyusha scene I quickly searched for it and started watching the series
Dec 20, 2012 6:07 PM

Oct 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Danielcook said:

Sorry guys, forgive me.

You do realize that this is what most people are retaliating against you for, don't you? Had you stated your criticism in a more neutral statement none of your problems would have happened.

If you think you are subtle you are not, people can tell when you are being condescending, so you shouldn't be surprised when they respond in a like fashion. If you want to criticize the show, then criticize it, state what your objections are. We may respond why we disagree with you, but you will get the same respect your question possesses.

It looks like you are the one looking for trouble, sir.

My apology was as sincere as it could be.

Stop trying to create a wildfire.
Dec 21, 2012 12:28 AM
Dec 2010
Danielcook said:

Sorry guys, forgive me.

You sir, are extremely insensitive in your words. As much as I can feel that you are trying to apply some level of damage control, your name-calling and patronizing phrases simply undo your efforts of sincerity.

And on another note, everybody is biased, and everyone has preferences. It's not a crime to have them, nor it is one to display them and honor them. TBH I don't t know where you're drawing your references from. Only 1 person on the entire page 9 has a Tank-related avatar out of so many Garupan lovers.
Dec 21, 2012 4:45 AM

Oct 2012
newnar said:
Danielcook said:

Sorry guys, forgive me.

You sir, are extremely insensitive in your words. As much as I can feel that you are trying to apply some level of damage control, your name-calling and patronizing phrases simply undo your efforts of sincerity.

And on another note, everybody is biased, and everyone has preferences. It's not a crime to have them, nor it is one to display them and honor them. TBH I don't t know where you're drawing your references from. Only 1 person on the entire page 9 has a Tank-related avatar out of so many Garupan lovers.

1. I didn't say being biased was a crime.
2. Didnt mean that people needed to have GuP avatars. Just avatars/signitures of moé characters in general. I find that enough to base my statement on.

Thanks for your feedback!
Dec 21, 2012 6:09 AM

Nov 2012
Danielcook said:

Sorry guys, forgive me.

c- effort on the trolling, your failure has been noted.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 21, 2012 6:30 AM

Oct 2012
no_good_name said:
Danielcook said:

Sorry guys, forgive me.

c- effort on the trolling, your failure has been noted.

Thanks for your assessment.
Dec 21, 2012 8:23 AM
Oct 2012
newnar said:

Not sure if you like to have epistemological arguments, if not ignore this post. I love these types of discussions, but know that they annoy most people, so I feel it necessary to point it out at the beginning.

Everyone is not necessarily biased. Merely to have likes or dislikes, or to have an opinion, doesn't make one automatically biased. If one likes tanks, and consequently likes this show because it accurately depicts tanks, this is not a biased opinion. A bias is something that impedes an impartial opinion. In this case one can say impartially that this show depicts tanks accurately, and is one of the first (if not the first) animations to do this and that you consequently are enjoying the animation. That is not a biased opinion.

The word "bias" comes from dividing a circle into 2 parts. In short the focus is on separating things merely because the line, which you have drawn, exists. If you believed that everyone should like the show because it has tanks and that those who do not are thereby wrong, then you would be exhibiting a bias. Expressing one's personal statement as being their belief, if stated as such without a corresponding judgement, can never be "biased".

As an example, quentinlau above stated "I cannot take these characters seriously". That is his opinion, his reason for it, that he likes "serious characters", is his preference. Neither is biased. Had he said "I can't believe anyone takes these characters seriously" or "this animation is horrible because it isn't serious", that would be reflecting a biased opinion.

This is why "bias" has a negative connotation. The person who calls other people's preferences "biased" is implying that their preference is wrong, that they cannot see things impartially. This is where Mr. Cook's apology failed. He places the majority of the failure not with his condescending posts, but rather that he even attempted to communicate with such "biased" people in the first place.

The mood of his apology can be summed up as being passive aggressive.
Dec 21, 2012 8:26 AM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
newnar said:

Not sure if you like to have epistemological arguments, if not ignore this post. I love these types of discussions, but know that they annoy most people, so I feel it necessary to point it out at the beginning.

Everyone is not necessarily biased. Merely to have likes or dislikes, or to have an opinion, doesn't make one automatically biased. If one likes tanks, and consequently likes this show because it accurately depicts tanks, this is not a biased opinion. A bias is something that impedes an impartial opinion. In this case one can say impartially that this show depicts tanks accurately, and is one of the first (if not the first) animations to do this and that you consequently are enjoying the animation. That is not a biased opinion.

The word "bias" comes from dividing a circle into 2 parts. In short the focus is on separating things merely because the line, which you have drawn, exists. If you believed that everyone should like the show because it has tanks and that those who do not are thereby wrong, then you would be exhibiting a bias. Expressing one's personal statement as being their belief, if stated as such without a corresponding judgement, can never be "biased".

As an example, quentinlau above stated "I cannot take these characters seriously". That is his opinion, his reason for it, that he likes "serious characters", is his preference. Neither is biased. Had he said "I can't believe anyone takes these characters seriously" or "this animation is horrible because it isn't serious", that would be reflecting a biased opinion.

This is why "bias" has a negative connotation. The person who calls other people's preferences "biased" is implying that their preference is wrong, that they cannot see things impartially. This is where Mr. Cock's apology failed. He places the majority of the failure not with his condescending posts, but rather that he even attempted to communicate with such "biased" people in the first place.

Fixed
Yes i'm being childish.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 21, 2012 8:42 AM

Sep 2012
Danielcook said:
Takuan_Soho said:
Danielcook said:
Sorry guys, forgive me.

It looks like you are the one looking for trouble, sir.
My apology was as sincere as it could be.
Stop trying to create a wildfire.
Well, it does not sound fully sincere to me as you said "Dont make threads bashing a particular series because the other people have biased opinions" as if all those who suspected you were trolling and those who did not find your complaints convincing all did so because they have biased opinions -- the sense of condescension is obvious. Perhaps you should check what bias you have when you first posted in this thread? And if you want to offer a sincere apology to somebody do you think it is a good idea to mix in criticism of the other side in the apology? Your saying that this is an apology "as sincere as it could be" also seems like an attempt to show you have already conceded much ground and we should be grateful to accept what you have to offer, including your view that most of us in this threads are just people with biased opinion about this anime. That said, I appreciate your admission that some of your previous posts indeed seem like flamebaiting. I still hope that you are being sincere to build communication with us but I must say that I cannot be certain of it from what you posted here so far.
symbvDec 21, 2012 8:57 AM

Dec 22, 2012 10:03 AM
Dec 2010
Takuan_Soho said:
newnar said:

This is why "bias" has a negative connotation. The person who calls other people's preferences "biased" is implying that their preference is wrong, that they cannot see things impartially. This is where Mr. Cook's apology failed. He places the majority of the failure not with his condescending posts, but rather that he even attempted to communicate with such "biased" people in the first place.

My good sir, I most certainly enjoyed that argument to a very large degree. In retort, or rather response, I should simply highlight the fact that I am using the word "biased" without regard to its negative connotation. My definition for "biased" in my sentence is simply to have varying opinions on the same topic for no apparent rational reason whatsoever. If you'd like to accuse me of using the word without critically considering its nuances, I plead guilty as charged. My reason for such is only because I believe that the person who originally used the word(Danielcook-san) wasn't a carrier of ill-intentions, instead he chose such vocabulary due to lack of meticulousness in choice of words in his original post.

But anyway, just to satisfy myself:

"In this case one can say impartially that this show depicts tanks accurately, and is one of the first (if not the first) animations to do this and that you consequently are enjoying the animation. That is not a biased opinion."
Whether or not the show depicts tanks accurately is a biased opinion, because "accurately" does not define the actual level of accuracy nor does it compare the show to anything else that depicts tanks. Therefore it is a relative term and by the way relative terms work, it may be accurate for some and inaccurate for others. But ofc, by benefit of doubt it can be assumed that this is speaking of the general public. Nevertheless, it will still be an biased opinion.
In comparison, the fact that this is the first Japanese animation series to fully focus their ideas and core concept on tanks is actually a undeniable fact that cannot be a biased opinion (once proven because I'm still not sure whether or not it actually is or was there a super-old show that beat GaruPan to it).
And of course, the last bit of your sentence, about how I am enjoying this show, is obviously and definitely a biased opinion. Both in terms of how you define and measure me as enjoying the show and in terms of whether or not I am actually enjoying the show according to my own personal psyche.
Dec 22, 2012 10:35 AM

Oct 2012
If you Google the phrase "Everyone has their biases"
you will see lots of examples that make it clear
that this phrase is not offensive. It is always
acceptable to invoke this. It appears to be possible
to see the range of connotations by looking at all
the examples of the usage of that phrase.

By the way, you have to include the quotation marks
when you Google the phrase. That way Google will
look for occurences of the exact phrase in quotes.
Dec 22, 2012 4:54 PM
Oct 2012
okanagan said:
If you Google the phrase "Everyone has their biases" you will see lots of examples that make it clear that this phrase is not offensive.

Saying "everybody" is not offensive, it is inaccurate, but it is not offensive. Saying "the other people have biased opinions" is something altogether different. The first is a universal statement, it includes the entire set, including the speaker, into the definition. Since it treats everyone equally, it is not offensive. The second statement is particular, it singles out a group specifically, while implying that the group the speaking is in is not biased. That is a fairly offensive thing to say.

But the statement "everybody is bias" is invalid. Whether or not someone is "bias" is a statement of opinion, not a statement of fact, and therefore cannot be stated as a universal. Furthermore it ignores that degrees of bias exists, creating a false equivalency.

newnar said:
If you'd like to accuse me

I hope you noticed that I did not accuse you of anything. I specifically refrained from using the second person pronoun "you" for that very reason. I merely took the expression used "everyone has bias" to form my argument.

newnar said:
Whether or not the show depicts tanks accurately is a biased opinion

I would disagree with that. One can point to certain demonstrative facts to prove or disprove the statement "this animation uses tanks accurately". The idea that everything is relative, therefore nothing can be proven is prevalent, but it has absolutely no basis.

However even if we assume that everything is relative doesn't mean that a statement is bias. I can say "Hitler is evil" and not be biased. Evil is relative, but it can be defined in different ways to indicate categories of degrees. Then actual facts exist that would either support or deny the statement. If Hitler's actions are indeed put him into the category of "evil", then the statement is not biased. Bias would only enter into the picture if I were then to say "Stalin wasn't evil", because both people committed similar "evil" acts and I was including one person into a category and excluding another from the category based upon a personal preference, not a categorical fact.
Dec 22, 2012 5:38 PM
Dec 2010
Takuan_Soho said:

Saying "everybody" is not offensive, it is inaccurate, but it is not offensive. Saying "the other people have biased opinions" is something altogether different. The first is a universal statement, it includes the entire set, including the speaker, into the definition. Since it treats everyone equally, it is not offensive. The second statement is particular, it singles out a group specifically, while implying that the group the speaking is in is not biased. That is a fairly offensive thing to say.

But the statement "everybody is bias" is invalid. Whether or not someone is "bias" is a statement of opinion, not a statement of fact, and therefore cannot be stated as a universal. Furthermore it ignores that degrees of bias exists, creating a false equivalency.

Well as I have said in my previous post, if we do take the negative connotations into consideration then I will have to relinquish my argument and admit defeat since that is exactly where I made an assumption.

"Everybody is biased" (I assumed that you missed out the -ed) is not invalid because it is simply a loose way of saying,"Every statement made by every person is a biased statement". Needless to say, this "statement" would refer to a statement where bias would come into significance, meaning factual statements are left out as well as statements based on information not created by the individual. Once this is established, I argue that whether or not someone is biased is in fact a categorization defined by the definition we give "biased" itself. Once this categorization criteria is set in stone, it is possible to empirically classify statements as biased. Therefore, whether or not someone is biased can be a completely factual statement as long as the above-mentioned is defined. This will be explained in detail below.

Takuan_Soho said:
newnar said:
If you'd like to accuse me

I hope you noticed that I did not accuse you of anything. I specifically refrained from using the second person pronoun "you" for that very reason. I merely took the expression used "everyone has bias" to form my argument.

The "If you'd like to accuse me" part is simply just to allow myself to admit my inherent fault of assuming Danielcook's intentions to be of peace. It was meant no harm to you sarcastically or in any other way. But in the end, we ARE arguing about what each other had said, so I don't see a point in tabooing the word "you". It may be a form of respect from you, I thank you for that, but I prefer to be clinical and clear-cut in my arguments. Just as long as no personal insults are induced, I do not see the reason for not using a simple word in the English language in our discussion.

Takuan_Soho said:

I would disagree with that. One can point to certain demonstrative facts to prove or disprove the statement "this animation uses tanks accurately". The idea that everything is relative, therefore nothing can be proven is prevalent, but it has absolutely no basis.

However even if we assume that everything is relative doesn't mean that a statement is bias. I can say "Hitler is evil" and not be biased. Evil is relative, but it can be defined in different ways to indicate categories of degrees. Then actual facts exist that would either support or deny the statement. If Hitler's actions are indeed put him into the category of "evil", then the statement is not biased. Bias would only enter into the picture if I were then to say "Stalin wasn't evil", because both people committed similar "evil" acts and I was including one person into a category and excluding another from the category based upon a personal preference, not a categorical fact.

Haha, but you see, categorical fact requires categorization, which is something that is again, arbitrary. Just by placing arbitrary definition on something arbitrary does not define the thing object in question. Whether or not Hitler's actions put him in the category of (again, whose)evil, doesn't change the fact that your statement is still biased. What is crucial here is how you are going to prove that your internal decision-making that provides you with such a conclusion is completely rational and in no way related to personal preference?

I concur that bias is defined by the fact that one's decision-making is not affected or influenced in anyway by personal details and solely based on proven facts. The problem is, how are you going to prove these statements of yours are made under such specific and unrelentingly strict mental scenario by the respective manifesto?

P.S. This was a great argument and I enjoyed it greatly. Thanks for providing such interesting and intriguing intellectual conversation!
newnarDec 22, 2012 5:42 PM
Dec 22, 2012 6:14 PM
Oct 2012
First let me begin by saying, I likewise have enjoyed this discussion. Thank you for responding :-)

newnar said:
"Every statement made by every person is a biased statement". Needless to say, this "statement" would refer to a statement where bias would come into significance

But that is a tautology. Basically what you are saying is "all bias statements are biased", which of course one cannot argue with. But in excluding certain statements, you have already proven my point: that not every statement is biased. Likewise not every opinion is biased. Now it is just an argument over what is considered a fact.

newnar said:
Therefore, whether or not someone is biased can be a completely factual statement as long as the above-mentioned is defined. This will be explained in detail below.

Agree with that statement, however this is something very different from what people who say "everyone is biased" generally mean.

newnar said:
It was meant no harm to you sarcastically or in any other way. But in the end, we ARE arguing about what each other had said, so I don't see a point in tabooing the word "you". It may be a form of respect from you, I thank you for that, but I prefer to be clinical and clear-cut in my arguments.

Avoiding "you" is not a taboo, I just wanted to avoid reading too much into your statement. Since you provided no context for it. I would have been assuming that MY interpretation of your meaning was YOUR interpretation. Which would have been inaccurate. It is a bit funny, but I didn't take your response as being harmful or sarcastic, I was more afraid that I had unintentionally insulted you. It is hard sometimes to be clear in text, so I am trying to make a special effort to be exact in my usage.

newnar said:
Haha, but you see, categorical fact requires categorization, which is something that is again, arbitrary.

Much like perception of bias, there are degrees to being arbitrary. They range from highly subjective to highly objective. For instance, murder is a category that is defined by law, most people would consider the definition as being objective. One can of course argue that this is ultimately "arbitrary", but to say that this category is as arbitrary as say a preference for a type of animation, again creates a false equivalency. There are categories that are accepted by such a vast majority of people that contrary definitions of said categories cannot be considered equal. This is actually an axiom that has to be accepted, otherwise no communication is possible, since the same logic underlines the definition of words. One can say that a stop sign is "red" for people who have normal human vision and speak English, and this would be a fact, that the word "red" is completely arbitrary doesn't make it accurate to call it blue.

newnar said:
What is crucial here is how you are going to prove that your internal decision-making that provides you with such a conclusion is completely rational and in no way related to personal preference?

Simple, while we are holding a conversation we can define our terms. If we mutually agree upon the terms, then statement of fact can be made without bias.
Dec 22, 2012 6:27 PM

Apr 2010
You eventually work your mind around the fact that we have high school-aged girls driving around tanks and shooting at each other with live rounds for sport. Rolling up on stuff, crashing into buildings when they fight on land.

Yes, it's an alternate universe.

I love the show though. It has heart. And more than once I laughed my ass off at some scenes. I'm never bored when I watch this show. But now it's on hiatus until March.

Dec 22, 2012 6:42 PM
Oct 2012
Akamitsu said:
You eventually work your mind around the fact that we have high school-aged girls driving around tanks and shooting at each other with live rounds for sport. Rolling up on stuff, crashing into buildings when they fight on land.

Yes, it's an alternate universe.

I love the show though. It has heart. And more than once I laughed my ass off at some scenes. I'm never bored when I watch this show. But now it's on hiatus until March.

There are two mangas that are running, one basically following the current story line and one following Miho in Junior High School. Those can keep you company until we get more animation.

I am hoping that sometime around the final episode release we will get an OVA movie announcement as well as a second season. They have created an interesting world here (many people have speculated that the huge ships were done to accent that this isn't our world), that I really want them to flush out.
Dec 22, 2012 11:56 PM
Dec 2010
There seems to be some misunderstanding of my previous post......

Takuan_Soho said:

But that is a tautology. Basically what you are saying is "all bias statements are biased", which of course one cannot argue with. But in excluding certain statements, you have already proven my point: that not every statement is biased. Likewise not every opinion is biased. Now it is just an argument over what is considered a fact.

The reason i said this is to narrow down the type of statements we are talking about here, not to prove anything. It will be pointless is we argued over whether things like "50 plus 50 equals to 100" is biased or not because it does not represent personal opinion. Thus, my full statement is:"Needless to say, this "statement" would refer to a statement where bias would come into significance, meaning factual statements are left out as well as statements based on information not created by the individual."
On what you said, it is true that not all statements are biased because there are some statements that are incapable of being biased in the first place(50+50=100). But that does not mean that all opinions are biased. Opinions have to be made by people(or other sentient beings), statements do not. See, my point is that, although it is possible to have unbiased statements exist, those made by humans and are capable of being biased are all biased because you can't prove that they are not biased.

Takuan_Soho said:
newnar said:
Therefore, whether or not someone is biased can be a completely factual statement as long as the above-mentioned is defined. This will be explained in detail below.

Agree with that statement, however this is something very different from what people who say "everyone is biased" generally mean.

Again, the pretext for me posting this is to counter your: "Whether or not someone is "bias" is a statement of opinion, not a statement of fact, and therefore cannot be stated as a universal." This basically means that once the line is drawn between what is considered biased and what is considered not, the classification of whether or not an individual is biased becomes set in stone for that context and therefore, factual. I don't see how this is very different from what the general consensus is.

Takuan_Soho said:
newnar said:
Haha, but you see, categorical fact requires categorization, which is something that is again, arbitrary.

Much like perception of bias, there are degrees to being arbitrary. They range from highly subjective to highly objective. For instance, murder is a category that is defined by law, most people would consider the definition as being objective. One can of course argue that this is ultimately "arbitrary", but to say that this category is as arbitrary as say a preference for a type of animation, again creates a false equivalency. There are categories that are accepted by such a vast majority of people that contrary definitions of said categories cannot be considered equal. This is actually an axiom that has to be accepted, otherwise no communication is possible, since the same logic underlines the definition of words. One can say that a stop sign is "red" for people who have normal human vision and speak English, and this would be a fact, that the word "red" is completely arbitrary doesn't make it accurate to call it blue.

True there are degrees, but that doesn't mean that there are no lines drawn. The electromagnetic spectrum is a continuous range of wavelengths of light, each with varying degrees. But this doesn't stop scientist from being able to say,"Anything between 300MHz and 300GHz is considered a microwave, 400–790 THz is considered visible light(regardless of whether everyone can see all of it)". What I am interested in is simply whether or not people can be considered biased using my definition. I have no interest in the degree or the whether varying levels of bias are equivalent.

Takuan_Solo said:
newnar said:
What is crucial here is how you are going to prove that your internal decision-making that provides you with such a conclusion is completely rational and in no way related to personal preference?

Simple, while we are holding a conversation we can define our terms. If we mutually agree upon the terms, then statement of fact can be made without bias.

I don't think you quite understand what I am saying here. I am asking if you are capable of proving that statements made by people do not include any influence or opinionated ideas from their own minds. It doesn't matter whether or not we can mutually agree upon the terms. Using the "Hitler is evil" as an example. Even if you define what is evil and what is not, saying "Hitler is evil" is STILL a biased statement simply because for all I know, you may be saying that with completely disregard to the definition we agreed upon and only said that due to some random factor like Hitler raping kids or Hitler owing you millions of dollars before dying, etc. Thus, my point is, you can never be sure of what other people are actually thinking when they say things, and because you can't prove them unbiased, all of them are biased.

Edit: Formatting
newnarDec 23, 2012 12:09 AM
Dec 23, 2012 7:19 AM
Oct 2012
newnar said:
I am asking if you are capable of proving that statements made by people do not include any influence or opinionated ideas from their own minds.

Since one can never prove a negative, it is therefore incumbent on the person making the assertion to prove the assertion. That no bias exists is the baseline, it requires evidence to assert that a bias does exist.

The argument "everyone is biased" is an attempt to avoid providing either an argument or related evidence, it is not an argument on its own. It is no more valid than the old childish argument we used to make to our parents to justify our actions (well everyone does it), and their related response (would you jump off a bridge if everyone did it).

newnar said:
See, my point is that, although it is possible to have unbiased statements exist, those made by humans and are capable of being biased are all biased because you can't prove that they are not biased.

You repeated this, so it is obviously your main point. That someone is capable of being biased doesn't mean that they are biased. Everyone is capable of committing murder, but not everyone is a murderer and there is no way I can't prove that they are not murderers. That I cannot prove that they are not a murderer doesn't in anyway justify my assuming that they are murderers. The same is true of bias, I cannot assume that people are biased without evidence to support that view.

newnar said:
Again, the pretext for me posting this is to counter your: "Whether or not someone is "bias" is a statement of opinion, not a statement of fact, and therefore cannot be stated as a universal." This basically means that once the line is drawn between what is considered biased and what is considered not, the classification of whether or not an individual is biased becomes set in stone for that context and therefore, factual. I don't see how this is very different from what the general consensus is.

Your interpretation is backwards of my intent, which is why you don't see much difference. A "universal" is something that is true all the time without exception, the classic being "all people are mortal". That can be stated as a universal because it is a fact: all men are mortal. Mortality is a both a fact and it is one of these line drawn that you mentioned above.
Neither of these statements applies to bias. Bias can exist in degrees, it may or may not exist depending on the circumstances. So to say "all men are biased" isn't a fact. Much like the statement "all men are good" or "all men are evil", it is really an opinion not backed up by any facts.

newnar said:
What I am interested in is simply whether or not people can be considered biased using my definition. I have no interest in the degree or the whether varying levels of bias are equivalent.

But in that "bias" is not a universal, the degree of said bias is incredibly important. Let's replace "bias" with "racist". Even if we were to accept the premise "all men are racist", there is a world of difference between a supremacist and the old lady on the bus who is a bit leery of young, loud, aggressive males of a certain skin tone.
Besides your definition really isn't a definition, in that one can always pretend that a single drop exists to confirm one's (shall I say "bias") the bias always exists.

newnar said:

Let me re-answer the question, in that perhaps I went the wrong route above. I don't have to prove that my internal decision making is rational, indeed it would be impossible for me to do so. It is up to you to prove that I am not being rational. I would guess that you do not go around assuming that everyone you meet is irrational (I think that would probably be viewed as a good sign that the person doing that isn't rational), likewise you shouldn't go around assuming people are biased, without the ability to prove that such a bias does exist. The burden of proof, as always is on the person making the positive assertion.
Dec 31, 2012 5:51 AM
Dec 2010
Sorry for the hiatus on the reply. Was really swamped last week. After reading everything all over again, I think I can sum up my argument.

Opinions are a form of voiced judgement passed by individuals. Judgement is done by processing facts, either true or relative facts(facts that the individual thinks is true but it may or may not be). However the exact details of how individuals process such facts is not universal among humans, nor can it be equal between 2 different individuals. The complications involved in said process are so immensely large that it would require infinite dimensions of comparison to even be able to inaccurately gauge one individual's method of judgement from another individual's. As such, the final opinion passed off in the end, regardless of whether they are in agreement between two individuals, will still biased towards one another because they way that they were conceived is already essentially and most definitely different.

As such, my stand is: For one to even be able to conceive an opinion already provides utmost evidence and confirmation that said opinion will be made under bias with no exceptions.
Jan 1, 2013 2:54 PM

Jun 2009
Hello Daniel. It's been a while buddy ^_^.

Danielcook said:
Hello. My Name is Daniel. I've been an anime fan for some time now. (Maybe 7 years or so.) I have recently been effected with this unusual condition/complex. I do not understand why I feel this way, as a never felt this way in my life before, but I recently developed an attraction to Lolis from animes. I think I has something to do with how I recently started exploring the new 2012 anime lineup. It's not a sexual kind of attraction, just a regular attraction, which I cant fully explain. This is quite embarrassing. To be honest, they're pretty hot. (Does this make me a pedophile?)

I'm afraid to talk about this in real life, for the fact that most of my real life friends arent anime/manga fans at all. In fact, I only know about 2 people that actually follow anime/manga (Mainstream ones such as Naruto, Bleach, etc.)

I'm a straight 16 year old Chinese male. I like females my age in real life. (Large chested, Developed body parts, etc.) I'm afraid that if my parents find out, they'll disown me. My father has very great expectations of me. (He wants me to study hard so I could go to med school and become a Doctor someday.) I usually spend about half an hour a day watching anime.

I really don't get it. I am 100% sure that I am not attracted to Children in real life, so why the heck am I attracted to Lolis in anime. Guys. What do you think of my condition? Is it normal? Or maybe i'm losing my mind? I'm honestly really creeped out about myself. And I feel really dissapointed in myself. Should I go to a psychologist to try and get rid of this attraction? I don't want to go to jail or anything. :(

Seemed like you haven't got over your "Uncomfortable with liking cute anime girl syndrome" yet... How's the moe therapy working out for ya? Did the shrink tell you that we're all psychos? Tell me more about what happen. ^_^ Aniki is curious.

That was a great thread btw, provided the forum so much fun and loli pics.

Anyways... Looking at the past few pages... It's clear that you're still having trouble with word-choices... Always manage to piss people off with the way you word things...
AirStylesJan 1, 2013 3:02 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2013 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
Hello Daniel. It's been a while buddy ^_^.

Danielcook said:
Hello. My Name is Daniel. I've been an anime fan for some time now. (Maybe 7 years or so.) I have recently been effected with this unusual condition/complex. I do not understand why I feel this way, as a never felt this way in my life before, but I recently developed an attraction to Lolis from animes. I think I has something to do with how I recently started exploring the new 2012 anime lineup. It's not a sexual kind of attraction, just a regular attraction, which I cant fully explain. This is quite embarrassing. To be honest, they're pretty hot. (Does this make me a pedophile?)

I'm afraid to talk about this in real life, for the fact that most of my real life friends arent anime/manga fans at all. In fact, I only know about 2 people that actually follow anime/manga (Mainstream ones such as Naruto, Bleach, etc.)

I'm a straight 16 year old Chinese male. I like females my age in real life. (Large chested, Developed body parts, etc.) I'm afraid that if my parents find out, they'll disown me. My father has very great expectations of me. (He wants me to study hard so I could go to med school and become a Doctor someday.) I usually spend about half an hour a day watching anime.

I really don't get it. I am 100% sure that I am not attracted to Children in real life, so why the heck am I attracted to Lolis in anime. Guys. What do you think of my condition? Is it normal? Or maybe i'm losing my mind? I'm honestly really creeped out about myself. And I feel really dissapointed in myself. Should I go to a psychologist to try and get rid of this attraction? I don't want to go to jail or anything. :(

Seemed like you haven't got over your "Uncomfortable with liking cute anime girl syndrome" yet... How's the moe therapy working out for ya? Did the shrink tell you that we're all psychos? Tell me more about what happen. ^_^ Aniki is curious.

That was a great thread btw, provided the forum so much fun and loli pics.

Anyways... Looking at the past few pages... It's clear that you're still having trouble with word-choices... Always manage to piss people off with the way you word things...

Umm.. Where did you get that copy-paste from? I swear I deleted that thread... O_O omg..

And to anyone that I pissed off, I'm sorry. no more hate on the series. I totally understand the fandom now.
Jan 1, 2013 7:08 PM
Oct 2012
Danielcook said:
And to anyone that I pissed off, I'm sorry. no more hate on the series. I totally understand the fandom now.

You certainly didn't piss me off, I just like to remind people that words have meaning :-)
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

okanagan - Mar 25, 2013

274 by aimso1 »»
May 19, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Oct 8, 2012

250 by shawn77134 »»
May 12, 2:33 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Oct 29, 2012

243 by Abeke »»
Mar 14, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

167 by giannis85 »»
Jan 21, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

191 by giannis85 »»
Jan 18, 4:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.