Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 6, 2012 6:59 PM

Mar 2009
KingOfNoodles said:
The people that were taken may be taken elsewhere, but not killed. Maybe they were the people who were killing people at the start of the 1st episode.

No, because the start of the first episode is clearly more or less in our present day.
The main action of this show takes place a thousand years into the future.

KingOfNoodles said:
Needs more yuri.

No, it really doesn't. Go read the manga if that is what you want.

KingOfNoodles said:
When do they grow up?

Soon™, oh ye of little patience.

KingOfNoodles said:
Children in anime annoy me. They're either too mature for their age, or they're totally annoying.

A lot of this probably has to do with the practice of using adult voice actors, who generally either sound too mature for the age of the characters they are supposed to be playing, or overdo their attempts to sound childish and come off as totally annoying. (English) Dubs are even worse in this respect than the Japanese tracks.
Oct 6, 2012 7:08 PM
Jan 2010
ArcanaTrace said:
Something tells me that the rats are the NORMAL humans that got turned into rats by the psychic humans. Judging from the current episode and the synopsis of the show.

creepy
Oct 6, 2012 7:46 PM

Nov 2010
boring so far.
Oct 6, 2012 8:00 PM
Sep 2012
Heh? Is this out early or on a different schedule, since it's not on crunchyroll.
Oct 6, 2012 8:09 PM

Mar 2011
xtremexx said:
Heh? Is this out early or on a different schedule, since it's not on crunchyroll.

There are 2 schedules
First the saturday airing which used by most fansubs and the later airing on wednesday used by Crunchyroll
Oct 6, 2012 9:14 PM

Aug 2011
Zero-11 said:
ArcanaTrace said:
Something tells me that the rats are the NORMAL humans that got turned into rats by the psychic humans. Judging from the current episode and the synopsis of the show.

creepy

omg. if thats true...then this just got worse than higurashi O_O
Oct 6, 2012 11:39 PM

Oct 2011
I just realized this is kind of dark.
Haha i should have realized sooner
It's a good show though
Oct 7, 2012 12:07 AM

Jul 2012
This show's atmosphere always makes my mind fully prepare for something bad will happen. Like when the rock ball flying above the student's heads, I almost held my breath, lolz.
Oct 7, 2012 12:31 AM
Dec 2008
seems interesting...cant wait for next ep :)
Oct 7, 2012 1:07 AM

Dec 2011
Glad this episode lightened up.
The first episode was kinda dark compared to this one.
This episode was fun.
Having a psychic team battle.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2012 1:11 AM

Feb 2010
this is strangely good
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Oct 7, 2012 1:27 AM

Nov 2011
Some people simply have no stamina for clapping.
Oct 7, 2012 2:15 AM

Aug 2012
um, ok so I guess we are in the past? or is this a story from the past told by someone... or are we in the presence? I'm confused, nothing makes sense @_@
Oct 7, 2012 2:32 AM

Apr 2009
Liph said:
um, ok so I guess we are in the past? or is this a story from the past told by someone... or are we in the presence? I'm confused, nothing makes sense @_@

Oct 7, 2012 3:19 AM

Feb 2008
This show sure keeps getting more and more interesting!
Oct 7, 2012 5:28 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
This chapter reminded me of Harry Potter and Quidditch. Not that the games are similar (cause they aren't) but how some chapter completely devoted to preparing and playing the game.
Certainly not as good as the first episode, but it was interesting to watch (it felt so short) and it showed some of how that world works. I have to say I was expecting a more concern about the disappearance of Reiko.
Next chapter looks like it's going to be good.
Oct 7, 2012 6:39 AM
Feb 2012
Was pretty good 2nd episode imo. It's just setting things up it seems so far.

Flashback in the beginning did make me ponder if I had missed something for few seconds at first though lol.
I guess the pacing it's at will quicken since there appears to be only 12 episodes according to anime news network.
Oct 7, 2012 7:07 AM

Mar 2011
lolwutfool said:

Flashback in the beginning did make me ponder if I had missed something for few seconds at first though lol.
I guess the pacing it's at will quicken since there appears to be only 12 episodes according to anime news network.

No, It's confirmed 25 episodes according to the official website
Oct 7, 2012 7:17 AM

Oct 2012
Vizi_Reality said:
lolwutfool said:

No, It's confirmed 25 episodes according to the official website

That's good news.
Oct 7, 2012 7:32 AM

Nov 2009
Hmmm what I noticed is that the stories they recite in their class actually points out the possible reason why a child "vanishes." That Amano Reiko, for instance, must have gone out of that boundary or something...and endangered the Psychic community in a way. Manabu, too, became too full of himself, as in the story recited on this ep.

Hmmm that adult Saki narrates seems pretty...sad. Her voice somehow foreshadows that would happen next would be a great disaster...

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Oct 7, 2012 8:29 AM

Sep 2011
witchhuntress said:
Hmmm what I noticed is that the stories they recite in their class actually points out the possible reason why a child "vanishes." That Amano Reiko, for instance, must have gone out of that boundary or something...and endangered the Psychic community in a way. Manabu, too, became too full of himself, as in the story recited on this ep.

I partially agree, because I don't think Reiko "vanished" because of that. In my opinion her powers where too weak and that was the reason she was liquidated.
Talking about the stories, am I the only one who gets a rather bad feeling about them? The karma demon story... I found it creepy and...Sad. And if you add in the chanting voices in the backround ... O.O...Scary...
I think Maria will be the one who finds the robot which contains the "memories of the past". So, if a war starts between humans and the demons of the forest, she will indirectly be the cause of it.
The ending was beautiful, I have great expectations for the the opening!! :)
But all the clocks in the city
Began to whirr and chime:
'O let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time.
Oct 7, 2012 9:04 AM

Dec 2010
I don't even know what i watched, i don't think this is for me, the anime overall is too dark, both plot wise, and color wise, and it's too slow moving for me and i just don't get what they're talking about for half of the time
Oct 7, 2012 9:11 AM

May 2009
I've seen the first two episodes, and I'm still unsure what to make of this. Nothing really makes much sense right now, and it's not making me particularly happy.

With so many shows this season, it's not looking good for this one...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 7, 2012 11:03 AM

Apr 2008
I'm surprised people think this is slow. Shiki was an example of an extremely slow starting series because in that the in show suspense was surrounded by viewer knowledge. You knew it was vampires and every moment of the characters not getting it dragged a bit. Ookami Kakushi was another (far, far worse) slow one. That one stayed a bit mysterious, but it was saturated with wrongness that the characters just refused to pick up on. The disconnect between what we're discovering and what the characters see is really important to pacing, I feel. Unless you guys really think nothing happeed in these episodes.
In this the reality isn't half as clear. We can see that this is a repressed society with something extremely wrong and a zero tolerance policy, but one, we know very little of the motivations. We're learning why powers have to be restricted, getting hints of the governing bodies, and seeing the relation with the supernatural creatures. And two, the characters are not ignorant. They're reacting to the wrongness and questioning at the society even with the bounds of their perception of normalcy.
I'm pretty enthralled with this series, honestly. It's by far the best I've watched of the new season so far, and I'm excited both for what I've seen and what's to come. Only real complaint with this episode is that I feel they could have addressed Reiko's disappearance more. They time skipped over what had to be a pretty big deal to the kids, and we only get a mention of how the feeling faded? I guess the end is what will count, but it's important, especially if this follows the rebellion path it looks to be.
Oct 7, 2012 11:33 AM

Sep 2012
Bio said:
They time skipped over what had to be a pretty big deal to the kids, and we only get a mention of how the feeling faded?

This is deliberate because it is really what happened in the novel - The disappearance of Reiko was NOT FELT by the kids.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 7, 2012 11:41 AM

Oct 2009
for people who don't read novel, it's pretty weird for now ^^;

huh !?! time

ssf4ae (pc) : misterCybou
sc2 : CybE // 665
Oct 7, 2012 11:43 AM

Apr 2008
symbv said:
Bio said:
They time skipped over what had to be a pretty big deal to the kids, and we only get a mention of how the feeling faded?

This is deliberate because it is really what happened in the novel - The disappearance of Reiko was NOT FELT by the kids.

If that was the intent then it still wasn't handled well. Saki was previously showing concern for the other kids still at Harmony school, and the feelings faded implies they existed at one point. That they unnaturally failed to ever care or notice is not something I think you can get from the time skip.
Oct 7, 2012 11:46 AM

Aug 2012
That game looks really fun
Oct 7, 2012 11:49 AM

Sep 2012
Hakuromatsu said:
That being said, the flashback at the beginning of this episode was completely detached from the rest of the episode, in both plot and theme. There's no doubt that the scene will have some farther-reaching significance, but when you write for television you always have to think in 24-minute chunks. In masterful adaptations of non-TV source material, every scene has some tie to the episode itself.

As I know there are a flashback prologue in each of the first 3 episodes, each a slice of history before the time of the main story. So I would say that the flashbacks are put there with a grander view of a tie to the whole story (the present world) instead of the episode itself.

Hakuromatsu said:

The last line had no context in the scene (nor did the narration). It was like the story voluntarily hung itself off a cliff to artificially create suspense. You can't do that.

That line was said at around that part by the narrator (though not exactly at that scene). It serves to color the perspective of the readers about how they view Maria for the rest of the novel, so I guess it just needs to be introduced somewhere in the first few episodes - and they chose to put it at the end of ep.2.
symbvOct 7, 2012 11:58 AM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 7, 2012 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
Bio said:
symbv said:
Bio said:

If that was the intent then it still wasn't handled well. Saki was previously showing concern for the other kids still at Harmony school, and the feelings faded implies they existed at one point. That they unnaturally failed to ever care or notice is not something I think you can get from the time skip.

Not sure what you mean by "time skip". But you can say that if Saki could faintly remember those kids in Harmony School, she should also realize Reiko is not around. My reading is that they, Saki included, are not as close to Reiko (and definitely Saki spent more time with those kids at Harmony School than Reiko), and so their residual memory was not that strong to remember REiko.

Oct 7, 2012 11:57 AM

Sep 2012
Kurini said:
OH, so the narrator is the main character but when she'll be older? But the seiyuu is not the same. I thought that Taneda Risa (Saki) will voice her olf self too...
I'm so slow.

I guess the age difference is too wide for her to voice her older self?

If you are really curious
symbvOct 7, 2012 1:06 PM

Oct 7, 2012 11:58 AM

Feb 2012
I didn't really like this episode. The game they played was really lame and they took it way too seriously. I plan on sticking with it though because the first episode was really good and I'm hoping it gets better.
Oct 7, 2012 12:17 PM

Sep 2012
Shane777 said:
I didn't really like this episode. The game they played was really lame and they took it way too seriously.

I think just like Qiddich in Harry Potter, kids often treated a tournament very seriously, right?

I think the game also shows a few other things:
- how the education system works in this world (particularly the role of the teacher)
- how it serves to train and filter students based on their behavior and aptitude
- further illustrate the personality of the 5 main characters and their relationship, particularly the intelligence of Shun, or a glimpse of growing closeness between Maria and Mamoru.

BTW, the official website of the anime actually has quite a lot of information about the world view including the location of the village (do you know there are only NINE such villages survived in Japan now?), its map (it covers 15 square kilometer and in the map you can see the location of the characters' home and major buildings) as well as the school system, odd animals, fiend & karma demon, queerats and Cantus power.
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/library/index.html

Oct 7, 2012 12:56 PM

Apr 2008
symbv said:
Bio said:
symbv said:
Bio said:

Not sure what you mean by "time skip". But you can say that if Saki could faintly remember those kids in Harmony School, she should also realize Reiko is not around. My reading is that they, Saki included, are not as close to Reiko (and definitely Saki spent more time with those kids at Harmony School than Reiko), and so their residual memory was not that strong to remember REiko.

I mean right after they show Reiko's name stamped and the title where they say a month later by time skip. They were on the same team and working together each day and have existing concerns over children being taken by cat demons. I don't think you can give an easy explanation for them not caring. If this is something they take as a matter of fact then that's a level of apathy being developed that I'd like to be explicit.
Oct 7, 2012 12:58 PM

Sep 2012
Bio said:

I mean right after they show Reiko's name stamped and the title where they say a month later by time skip. They were on the same team and working together each day and have existing concerns over children being taken by cat demons. I don't think you can give an easy explanation for them not caring. If this is something they take as a matter of fact then that's a level of apathy being developed that I'd like to be explicit.

There is a reason and time skip is not the reason.
I won't even call their reactions apathy even.
Also we do not really know how long Saki etc spent time together with Reiko.
symbvOct 7, 2012 1:03 PM

Oct 7, 2012 1:11 PM

Feb 2010
I love how they use flashbacks and timeskips to portray how this society of people/psychics has emerged and how they now inhabit the earth. I don't really think it's slow in a bad way, it's helping me become fully immersed in the story and I've enjoyed every minute.

Such a strange and interesting show.
Oct 7, 2012 1:19 PM

Apr 2008
symbv said:
Bio said:

There is a reason and time skip is not the reason.
I won't even call their reactions apathy even.
Also we do not really know how long Saki etc spent time together with Reiko.

That's the point, though. If there is another reason we can't see it due to the time skip.
Oct 7, 2012 1:35 PM

Oct 2010
These are just random theories of mines but I might evolve on them if I have time. Quite the episode really and I see the intellect of the comments too. Well short on time and lots of things to see to catch up.

Copycat ate Manabu due to his breaking of justice. Saki witnessed Manabu being eaten by the cat due to her being last shown before the cat acts.

Suspecting Maria to be tamer and controller of Copycat. Sending to whom she thinks broke justice or stuff around school as maybe it was with the other girl before. This is based on Saki’s last words on many lives could be spared if Maria was not born.

Suspecting rats to consider Saki their queen and her being exiled with friends from village due to suspicion of rebellion with rats against village hence MONSTER WARS! It’s possible such a scenario may occur. Furthermore it was clearly shown with how the rats bowed down to Saki.

That being said a chilly/dark episode with a hint of light. Might edit later.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Oct 7, 2012 1:54 PM

Sep 2011
This show has a very uneasy and kinda disturbing feeling to it. Might turn out to be interesting.
Oct 7, 2012 1:57 PM

Jul 2010
Damn cheaters everywhere.

I have the feeling adult Saki is telling this story actually. It's actually a woman's voice narrating.

Oct 7, 2012 7:54 PM

Feb 2012
Wow, this is a really unique show. I love the setting, and the characters don't feel cliche.

I am loving this series.
Oct 7, 2012 9:19 PM

Sep 2012
Bio said:

That's the point, though. If there is another reason we can't see it due to the time skip.

It is deliberate -- to create a sense of uneasiness and strangeness to the readers/watchers because we read/see the behavior of the children being so contrary to our standard expectation of how they would react. We should feel that something is not right in this world and something must have happened to the kids for them to behave this way. And it is not, as you said, that it was a failure of the anime/novel because it did not tell you the reason of their strange reaction right away. As I said, time skip has nothing to do with how they behaved after Reiko disappeared.
symbvOct 7, 2012 9:28 PM

Oct 7, 2012 9:58 PM
Jan 2010
Shane777 said:
I didn't really like this episode. The game they played was really lame and they took it way too seriously. I plan on sticking with it though because the first episode was really good and I'm hoping it gets better.

same here - the Game part was really a turn off
Oct 7, 2012 10:03 PM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
Shane777 said:
I didn't really like this episode. The game they played was really lame and they took it way too seriously.

I think just like Qiddich in Harry Potter, kids often treated a tournament very seriously, right?

I think the game also shows a few other things:
- how the education system works in this world (particularly the role of the teacher)
- how it serves to train and filter students based on their behavior and aptitude
- further illustrate the personality of the 5 main characters and their relationship, particularly the intelligence of Shun, or a glimpse of growing closeness between Maria and Mamoru.

BTW, the official website of the anime actually has quite a lot of information about the world view including the location of the village (do you know there are only NINE such villages survived in Japan now?), its map (it covers 15 square kilometer and in the map you can see the location of the characters' home and major buildings) as well as the school system, odd animals, fiend & karma demon, queerats and Cantus power.
http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/shinsekaiyori/library/index.html

Lol, I actually did think of quittich, except quittich was fucking dangerous and the people actually played the sport instead of watching other things do something really boring. I think it was more like a robotics competition, designing, strategizing, then controlling the robots through a remedial task.

My curiosity will probably get the best of me eventually, but I don't want to look at that site because I would rather learn things from the show as it goes.
Oct 7, 2012 10:15 PM

Apr 2008
symbv said:
Bio said:

It is deliberate -- to create a sense of uneasiness and strangeness to the readers/watchers because we read/see the behavior of the children being so contrary to our standard expectation of how they would react. We should feel that something is not right in this world and something must have happened to the kids for them to behave this way. And it is not, as you said, that it was a failure of the anime/novel because it did not tell you the reason of their strange reaction right away. As I said, time skip has nothing to do with how they behaved after Reiko disappeared.

I feel you're really missing what I'm saying. I'm saying that after a month the forgetting does becomes reasonably natural. We don't know if they had any odd reactions because we didn't see them until it would have been worn away by time. We have no idea what their reaction is because we are past the point where it would have been strong. If, as you have said, they failed to react at any point and were creepily disinterested in the loss of a close classmate then it is not conveyed due to the skip. We don't have grounds to assume how they reacted on.

I don't really know what strange reaction you're citing that you think I'm blaming on the time skip. Do you think the month forward was before Reiko disappeared? I didn't get that impression at all, but it would sort of fit with the argument you're making. And it wouldn't be the first oddly phrased jump forward what with the thousands of years later message after the scene with the kids playing games in episode 1. Unless the current time really is thousands of years after identically named kids played around, which I guess is not impossibly weird for this show.
Oct 7, 2012 10:29 PM

Jan 2010
It's so creepy, holy shit. The vibe I'm getting from this anime fills that suspense need very well.
Oct 7, 2012 10:38 PM

Sep 2012
Bio said:

I feel you're really missing what I'm saying. I'm saying that after a month the forgetting does becomes reasonably natural. We don't know if they had any odd reactions because we didn't see them until it would have been worn away by time. We have no idea what their reaction is because we are past the point where it would have been strong. If, as you have said, they failed to react at any point and were creepily disinterested in the loss of a close classmate then it is not conveyed due to the skip. We don't have grounds to assume how they reacted on.

So you mean the behavior of those kids one month after Reiko's appearance looked natural to you? To me I think the lack of mention of Reiko from any kid at the end of ep.1 and the whole ep.2 is supposed to show that they have forgotten the presence of Reiko. This is what I got when I watched the anime. The novel made it clearer but I had not read the novel when I watched the anime. To me the anime successfully gave me the feeling that the lack of concern about Reiko for the kids was odd, and I confirmed that my understanding was correct when I read the relevant part of the novel, but I guess you want some more explicit mention that they were indeed somehow became unconcerned about Reiko even though she had disappeared.
symbvOct 7, 2012 10:42 PM

Oct 7, 2012 11:13 PM

Jul 2012
Just found this, I don't know what to say.
Oct 7, 2012 11:14 PM

Apr 2008
symbv said:
Bio said:

So you mean the behavior of those kids one month after Reiko's appearance looked natural to you? To me I think the lack of mention of Reiko from any kid at the end of ep.1 and the whole ep.2 is supposed to show that they have forgotten the presence of Reiko.

Yeah, I think it's reasonable enough for them to give up mention of it after a full month. They're in a busy time of their lives and we only get a few scenes to share with them. To get no reaction at that point doesn't tell me much about their characters. The end of episode one was the disappearance of Reiko stated by the narrator then the credits, so I don't know what there is to see there.
Oct 7, 2012 11:30 PM

Nov 2009
Best fall 2012 anime by far !
loved the episode ! amazing atmosphere with a world full of mystery
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.