Aug 11, 2019 2:03 PM
Dec 2018
Your question is: "why do i hate nagisa"
Because believe me you are the only fucking one
#kyoanistrong
Aug 12, 2019 12:33 AM
May 2019
WinterSnowflake said:
The only character I hated in the show was Fuko. This I can totally understand why people hate her. She's probably one of the most annoying and unbearable characters I've ever witnessed. The way she kept popping up in season 1 all the time, like she wanted the show to be about her, and her arc served nothing until the end. Carving starfishes for 6 whole episodes. What could have been easily done in 1 episode was 6 episodes wasted. And I was glad the way it ended because her arc was so boring and meaningless, which is another reason why I think After Story is 1000x better than the first season. No more useless stars on display.
All the other characters (including Nagisa) are much better than Fuko.
I can definetely see why people hate Fuko but I don't know why people hate Nagisa since she's the total opposite of Fuko.

Fuko was the best part of season 1 though.. It took a considerable dive afterwards. The only thing in the Clannad universe that bored me was the first 10 episodes of After Story. It was that whole gang storyline that sucked. It made me almost quit watching but I'm happy I didn't because the 10 episodes after that were pure gold. Again, Fuka's storyline was the best of season 1.
Aug 19, 2019 2:26 PM
Oct 2016
Its a complication of the loud unhappy minority and the quiet content majority.
as someone who works in retail, alot of customers are happy, but rarely every say anything, or write good reviews.
but the unhappy customers are very vocal and it can seem as tho that is what everyone thinks, but they are just very noisy.
I liked nagisa, yeah she was abit unrealistic and childish and dumb... going on retarded, but if you take her parents into the equation then it kinda makes sense.
I think tomoya and nagisa are a good compliment, im happy with the outcome.
tbh tomoya is in a few ways not good enough for some of the other girls.
Oct 28, 2019 1:32 AM
Jul 2018
7 years late for most of these replies but screw it. Just finished my playthrough of the entire Clannad VN and Nagisa is a lovely character. The embodiment of what a woman, wife, and mother should be.

And so, apparently, people hate Nagisa because she's "weak"...

Wtf does this even mean?
Do men not feel the urge to protect women anymore?
Is physical strength that important in a woman?
Is being emotional a bad trait for a girl to have?

Nagisa isn't weak willed anymore than Tomoya is. That's literally the whole point of their relationship. At the beginning of the story, they had both given up on their life. But Tomoya supported Nagisa in fulfilling her dreams, and Nagisa supported Tomoya, becoming his reason for living.
She's a wonderful person, someone I would love to have as a wife, as a life partner, someone I would greatly cherish. Not to mention the determination she had to deliver her baby and to become a mother. Despite Sanae, Tomoya, and the doctor telling her she should get an abortion (this is emphasized more in the VN) she vehementally refuses. She cannot kill her baby just because she might be physically weak -- no, she wants to be strong and she will give it all she haves to bring her and Tomoya's child into the world.
Yet she's "weak"? Sure, her body is dainty and can't play sports. But after she has a friend (and eventually lover) in Tomoya, she has a strong will of her own to put on a play. Then to finish school, alone as a repeater for a second year (everyone in the school totally ostracized her, yet she persisted). She cooks every day for Tomoya as soon as she returns from her lonely, stressful day at school. She cleans the apartment and makes it tidy. She decides to get a part time job to help Tomoya pay expenses. She is the one who convinces Tomoya to go see his dad. And I already mentioned her will to be a good mother to her baby. And I'm sure there's even more that she does to help Tomoya.
What a pathetic damsel in distress, amirite?

Do the people in this thread just hate femininity or something?

Tennouji said:
She's too dependent to Tomoya I could say and weak-willed.

Newsflash: Tomoya is dependent on Nagisa too.

Scrypt said:
The supporting cast were given more character opposed to Nagisa who seem to play damsel in distress cliche throughout season 1 and 2, hence for her unpopularity. Whilst I don't hate her character, I wouldn't have her as first choice regardless of Ushio.

Ushio takes heavily after her mother so if you like Ushio, why don't you like Nagisa? Ohh because "damsel in distress". Whatever that means. Because men helping women, that's just horrible, ain't it.

Dodgers20 said:
Foxley88 said:
Yes she's weak, yes she's a crybaby but I don't think that should make her hateworthy.?

You're right about this one, but IMO the thing it makes her hateworthy is that her character presentation and development is nearly not strong enough to create a stellar character for her, she's pretty much just an android that was programmed to represent the "good waifu" stereotype, and thus she doesn't have any character, or soul besides that.

Good girl who is shy, wants to help people, and doesn't like offending people = "android"?

KingOfNoodles said:
Nagisa was really annoying in the first Clannad series, she didn't really have a lot of depth to her character, kinda always acting out like the damsel in distress

Fucking hell

Star_Boy said:
She's pretty ugly in appearance.

And too clingy

Weak

You must be really desperate to hit on her when there's a lot more better girls out there.

Do men prefer bodybuilder women these days or something?
I literally cannot fathom a man not liking a woman because she is physically weak. Unless you mean mentally weak, in which case, you are a poor judge of character. I'm sure you think very low of shy people in real life, too, which is a shame.

mikozee said:
gigglingidiot said:
Dependent?

You may not have liked her character much. I get that. But she wasn't "dependent."

I think she's dependent in the sense that she has no real independent goals that she strives to achieve on her own, aside from the drama club which she got a lot of help from. She struggled as a person and didn't really have a sense of self-identity until Tomoya came along. Tomoya, in that sense, is far more independent. He may not have had goals, but he still had friends and a sense of who he was. Nagisa only helped supplement what was lacking in his life, but it didn't replace his entire being.

While I don't hate Nagisa, I do like Tomoyo better simply because she's a more independent woman who works towards completing her goal. Even in the alternative world scenarios, Tomoyo worked towards her goal on her own. Kyou and Ryou also have independent goals that they strive towards (and achieve, kindergarten teacher and nurse respectively) and Kotomi wanted to continue her parents research.

What's wrong with receiving help?
And ffs, Tomoya didn't "replace Nagisa's entire being". Even in other routes of Clannad, Nagisa is the same girl, with the same personality. Tomoya was the one, however, who helped her become happy, and she did the same for him. They compliment one another. Y'know, as lovers should.
Call Nagisa a "supplement" for Tomoya, and Tomoya would say that you're wrong. She is not a supplement, she is irreplacable and his meaning for life.
Tomoya also was lost and had no identity of his own. Did you watch the show at all? He was friends with Sunohara because Sunohara was the only one as pathetic as he was. The Fujibayashi's only liked him because he was a handsome delinquent badboy. In other words, nothing to do with his character, but just his demeanor.
Nagisa actually did have a friend in her teacher Kouko Ibuki btw. But regardless, not having friends isn't a reason to think someone is a bad character.

Also, LMAO at the "independent woman" remark. I suspected that the dislike of Nagisa had to do with some sort of feminist narrative.

Riptos said:
I have never liked Nagisa. Her being the main heroine is the only real detriment I can place on Clannad and Clannad: AS.

As Key main heroines go she is by FAR the weakest. The rest of the main heroines have more personality whereas Nagisa is about as interesting as a wet dishcloth for 90% of the show.
Of course it's all opinion which is what all of this is. However I feel that in comparison to ALL the other Key Main Heroines, she falls flat and is dull.

HAHAHAHAHA just kill me already. "Nagisa is a weak little bitch! I only like strong, independent women! I am an ally of women! But if a woman needs to rely on her man, then she's a worthless piece of shit!"

Arcofdream said:
Because she's fucking useless and annoying.

Right back at ya, big guy.
removed-userOct 28, 2019 1:50 AM
Feb 14, 2021 8:30 AM
Dec 2018
People on MAL hate characters with following traits:
1. Crybaby
2. Cannot overcome weakness / disability even with power of friendship
3. Is realistic

It's been years on MAL and people still give stupid argument. I mean it's your preference, you can hate a character; but just say it, don't try to back it with stupid arguments. The concept of an ideal ('realistic') character here comes from a Shonen protagonist, who is strong, doesn't give up, doesn't cry, and overcomes all the hardship in life, either by the power of will, or power of friendship. That explains the bias towards Tomoyo, she's a typical Shonen character.

I don't what's wrong with people here, but if you think a person who cries and seeks help is annoying, you might need some help yourself. It's not difficult to understand why Nagisa is like the way she is. She has a weak body, was sick most of the time, and absent from school. When you have such a condition, it's really hard to make friends. on top of that, imagine repeating a year. Most won't know about your condition, and you'll feel to uncomfortable to talk to anyone. You're thinking about Tomoya here, if Nagisa is best for him. Well maybe not, but think about Nagisa; is there anyone who can care for her like Tomoya does? She's stupid, but how is she supposed to be clever when she's not seen the outer world as much as others? She's not strong, and lacked confidence before she met Tomoya. And right Tomoya had friends before, but his life changed only after he met Nagisa. She made him feel needed, which no other girl could do, and that probably pushed him to help others too. If Nagisa was independent and the powerful girl you expect her to be, Clannad wouldn't be Clannad, but another High School Drama. Nagisa was the person who was on the same level as him, and that's what made them depend on each other. I've not played the VN, but having seen 'Another World' specials, both felt shallow and random.

Her character reminds me of Madoka from Madoka Magica (I first watched Madoka Magica years back, and then Clannad this weekend). Same hate goes for her; she cries a lot, is weak, etc. I guess people here have spend so much time watching anime they have lost touch with reality. There's no rapid character development in real life, people have their weakness, they cry (atleast girl, don't know what kind of childhood you guys had). Damn I'd be happiest person to find someone like Nagisa in life (not the sickness, don't want my life to be Clannad).
salarxFeb 14, 2021 8:34 AM
Feb 14, 2021 11:22 PM

Nov 2019
Does anyone actually hate Nagisa? I think people like her but they prefer the other girls similar to me. I prefer the other 4 over her but i still do like Nagisa.
Feb 15, 2021 11:28 AM

Aug 2020
Well, I think people hate her because she lacks personality. I think she's ok she at least matures in after story.
Feb 18, 2021 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
I hate nice girls that's all I can say. I hate how they are nice no matter what, even though sometimes you don't have to be like that. I hate that part of them. Simple as that.
Sep 11, 2021 5:15 PM

Jul 2019
Because she's dumb and moe to a pandering degree and her whole character arc is about you feeling sorry for her, while all the other girls have so much going on for them, except Kyou's twin who is simply basic

Nagisa could've became interesting during AS after all the S1 setup, but instead she just fucking dies having no brain cells left and nothing is accomplished with her
RojasebSep 11, 2021 5:18 PM
Sep 13, 2021 3:07 PM

Jul 2021
I hate Nagisa because, Her Story Arc in season 1 is the MOST FORCE DRAMA I have ever seen! BTW its not an opinion its a FACT!

Sep 19, 2021 3:51 AM
Aug 2021
I also don't know she is very good, kind and innocent person. I like her. She is my favorite.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

id - Feb 12, 2009

725 by H8trs »»
2 hours ago

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

3 by Ricdumb »»
Apr 20, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Davison - Oct 16, 2008

260 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kiseki - Oct 2, 2008

347 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 7, 6:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.