Forum Settings
Forums

Immigrants. Cheaper employees, a nuisance or a great asset?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 2, 2012 4:41 PM
Mar 2012
@Bloody-Rage

"Bitching". Yes this could be one word for it, the better term for it is "discussing", brining up a topic and seeing others their opinion is what we try to do here on GD.
Sep 2, 2012 4:43 PM

Jun 2012
Andyis said:

Well I personally believe if someone went through what was needed to become a legal citizen then they have the right to get minimal help
People shouldn't immigrate illegally, but as long as it doesn't disturb anyone it should be fine.
However if it causes taxes to go to them rather than schools, repairing structure etc. then it would cause a problem.
I suppose I may be cruel but I don't think people who have already broken a rule should continue to cause other problems

You are overrating cost of social justice for immigrant. It will never empty a government budget.

I understand the broken rule argument, that's why government have to give condition to make sure immigrant are not profiting a more interesting system, or if they just have no choice. Also if there's illegal migrant, government failed somewhere, and have to take responsibility for people stuck in their country

Again regulate Immigrant, you fix the problem. It's a bit different in US indeed with drug cartel and stuff like that. Not really aware of this.

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Sep 2, 2012 4:43 PM

Mar 2012
BloodyRage said:
BluntZ said:
I'm surprised jewish people are even being mentioned in a thread about immigration.

Well thats an interesting thought there.

Well the problem would be people became cocky and forgot that there is always some one who wants to work for cheap. Well, no . . . the real problem is people just bitch. About? Their life, their job, their kids, their sex time, their bills, their private areas, their illness, their car, they even bitch about how their crap smells or rather whose smelly crap is that there.

ahhh suddenly im shinning new light on this issue.

You're shinning new light on something, I just can't tell what the hell it is.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 2, 2012 4:48 PM

Apr 2012
Karpman said:
@Bloody-Rage

"Bitching". Yes this could be one word for it, the better term for it is "discussing", brining up a topic and seeing others their opinion is what we try to do here on GD.

Sure.
Sep 2, 2012 4:51 PM

Apr 2012
Post-Josh said:
BloodyRage said:
BluntZ said:
I'm surprised jewish people are even being mentioned in a thread about immigration.

Well the problem would be people became cocky and forgot that there is always some one who wants to work for cheap. Well, no . . . the real problem is people just bitch. About? Their life, their job, their kids, their sex time, their bills, their private areas, their illness, their car, they even bitch about how their crap smells or rather whose smelly crap is that there.

You're shinning new light on something, I just can't tell what the hell it is.

Well, I was not serious about the whole light thing. . . I really just wrote to see what kind of comments I would have got from it.
Sep 2, 2012 4:53 PM

Jun 2010
BloodyRage said:
BluntZ said:

You have shone nothing on anything. Your comment was merely a regurgitated belaboring of what you think other people 'bitch' about.
Sep 2, 2012 4:58 PM

Jun 2012
BluntZ said:
Post-Josh said:
He should have said prejudice instead of racist, but other than that I don't really see what the problem is. He was obviously insinuating Jewishness, as Semitic usually does, "ignoring" the Palestinians is normal.

You just nailed the problem. "Ignoring" Palestinians and all other Arabs when referring to Semites is just a reflection of the nationalist and militant sentiments that surround the discussion-the politics of language. In any case, I'm surprised jewish people are even being mentioned in a thread about immigration.

It happen IMO because Antisemitism is used to define Jew discrimination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

But your are right Semitic don't mean Jew in any manner.

And Jew were mentioned in the topic because of some people ignorance.
MordercaMuminkow said:

But let's come back to topic - it depends. I saw for example families with ~8-10 children in UK only to earn wealthcare money (jew families, but this is probably obvious). And there is my dad, who work in Norway - because they don't have enough qualified personel (and he earn, like, 6x more than in my country). Some countries really need emmigrants. Some not that much.

Kira-oniisan said:

Okay, phew from racist to Zionsit would have been a really awkward switch.

But now I have a question, off topic, don't answer it if you don't want to disliking something at a minority/populations is the same thing with racism?
You mentioned jews as being greedy, greedy, money grabbing, insular, conspiring, I've also heard that at a lot of other people.
Mentioning their downsides is the same thing with hating their entire population?

Also I've accidentally learned the meaning of a Zionist about two years ago, and only a few people make the difference between a Zionist and Jew, for example the most easiest one to observe is their religion, with Jews believing in one god and the Zionists denying it utterly, also where Jews are pacifists and accept this exile as a "divine punishment" and Zionist's belief in the force of arms(but I'm way off topic right now).

The main thing is that Jews as immigrants don't pose a big threat to the economy like the countries from eastern europe

I sometime have funky grammar, sorry about that. If you can correct some of my post, you would be an angel.
Sep 2, 2012 5:04 PM

Apr 2012
Hitchens said:
BloodyRage said:
BluntZ said:

You have shone nothing on anything. Your comment was merely a regurgitated belaboring of what you think other people 'bitch' about.

That’s very true. You read my comment how it was intended. As a nothing on nothing.
Sep 2, 2012 5:30 PM

Dec 2011
The main problem is that most immigrants who reside, especially in the US, have big families. Just the other day, I saw a mexican family who had(Im quite sure) at least 5 children.

With more and more children born, especially into immigrant families, less jobs(future ones too) are available. Also I've noticed that employers are more keen to hiring a minority such as a mexican over a white or black person in the US. -_-
Sep 2, 2012 5:36 PM

Mar 2012
I don't want to post on this forum anymore.
LoneWolf said:
Sep 2, 2012 5:37 PM

Jun 2012
I'm done with this topic, fuck

Sep 2, 2012 5:55 PM

Dec 2011
Cassper said:
The main problem is that most immigrants who reside, especially in the US, have big families. Just the other day, I saw a mexican family who had(Im quite sure) at least 5 children.

With more and more children born, especially into immigrant families, less jobs(future ones too) are available. Also I've noticed that employers are more keen to hiring a minority such as a mexican over a white or black person in the US. -_-

Is that just your own observations or do you have statistics to back that up...?
and btw black people are actually more of a minority now in the US than Hispanics.
Sep 2, 2012 5:58 PM

Mar 2012
He saw a potentially Mexican family that might be immigrants with at least five children that might not have all been theirs, ISN'T THAT ENOUGH!?
LoneWolf said:
Sep 2, 2012 6:00 PM
Nov 2011
remember that most immigrants are illegal.

Sep 2, 2012 6:10 PM

Jun 2012
In what country, which statistic. How can you even make statistic on immigration supposed to be ILLEGAL??
HapaxSep 3, 2012 3:57 AM

Sep 2, 2012 6:11 PM

Dec 2011
uzu-dragons said:
Cassper said:

Is that just your own observations or do you have statistics to back that up...?
and btw black people are actually more of a minority now in the US than Hispanics.

True. Blacks and whites are becoming more of the minority considering that immigrants are coming here to the US, having big families and then their children having big families.
Sep 2, 2012 6:14 PM

Jun 2012

Sep 2, 2012 6:19 PM

Dec 2011
it's always a little funny when Americans make a fuss about immigrants cause America began as a nation of immigrants, and the only people that were actually native to the land we tried to wipe out.
But everyone feels entitled to shit anyway.
Nov 2011
Hapax said:
FUCK
In what country, which statistic. How can you even make statistic on immigration supposed to be ILLEGAL??

by busts being done with over 10 000 fake passports.

Dec 2011
In fact, my friend told me something the other day at college. A white or black person with a high GPA could be rejected admission to a 4 year university cause the college want to fulfill a minority quota.

If its true, that scares me cause I plan to apply for a transfer to GMU when I finish my associates degree at my community college.
Sep 2, 2012 6:22 PM

Dec 2011
Cassper said:

True. Blacks and whites are becoming more of the minority considering that immigrants are coming here to the US, having big families and then their children having big families.

i only said black people.. white people are still the majority by far. Wikipedia lists:
White - 72% of US Population
Hispanic - 16%
Black - 12%
Sep 2, 2012 6:25 PM

Dec 2011
uzu-dragons said:
Cassper said:

i only said black people.. white people are still the majority by far. Wikipedia lists:
Hispanic - 16%
Black - 12%

I don't consider Wikipedia a reliable source. :/
Sep 2, 2012 6:26 PM
Aug 2012
Karpman said:
It happens everywhere. People come from one country to another for work, better living and the likes, e.g. Mexicans who go to America, Mid-Europeans within countries like Poland and Romania go the countries with a more prosperous economy. A lot of people see them as job-thieves or just a plain annoyance, but the other side is that they are helping our economy. With employers having to spend less money on wages and the overall profit going up, this is helping our economy, and then there is the thing which leaves the natives with less job possibilities.

So, what I ask of you is: What are your opinions on this subject?

That's interesting. Because my parents are immigrants to Canada, I'm first generation. Now.. who's job did my dad take in the 80's? No one's, he went into the managers office, picked him up and said in poor broken english "I need a f*ckin job to feed my family, I just came here, you can give me the worst positions ever and kick me in the face, but I still need that job" that's how he got his job. Now; my mom has a masters degree in teaching+psychology, yet her degree isn't recognized here. So she cannot work as a teacher. Sucks right? Not really, because they are both educated; and with their intellect I live as if my parents were getting the salary of lawyers (cool right? You can be smart; get a shitty job, and yet live well. So the point is.. get an education if you worry about immigrants taking your jobs)

So no, immigrants don't take cushiony jobs. People who think that.. are hicks who themselves have no education, and don't know what to do. Sorry to say but that's the truth. I have YET to see an immigrant who is highly educated, don't tell me your "Pakistani pharmacist" because they got their degree's in the country.

The only "job loss" is for part-time jobs. And that's not even because of immigrants; it's because of the decline in education. No one wants to educate themselves because a lot of people give up; or waste time on hobbies. For example, in my high school 90% of the people said "Nah after high school i'm done with school. Another 4? 8 years? No I hate school." This causes people to compete over the low-end jobs. Wages are not "cheaper", wages at minimum wage have been going up. No matter who you are/where you are from, you will get minimum wage, and that's standard for all. So no the company won't say "Oh you're from the USA; you get $9.25 an hour; Oh you're from Europe; you get $8.25" No that doesn't work. The same thing as you hear as jokes in the USA "I hired a mexican gardener for 10 cents a day" well guess what; if they're illegal immigrants, you get fined. If they are legal immigrants, you get fined, for not paying minimum wage.

I don't want to hear about "Immigrants are thieves" because no immigrant would want to risk them being deported from the country. (yes that can happen), and that will cause even more problems when they go back to their home country because they have an international criminal record.

In all seriousness; immigrants are more hard working than the people here. They deserve more pay, and they are more respectable than the people in the USA/Canada. Don't say "You're saying that because your parents are immigrants" Because in all honesty, even if they weren't I'd say the same thing.

Cassper said:
uzu-dragons said:
Cassper said:

Hispanic - 16%
Black - 12%

Ok if you don't consider WIkipedia a reliable source press the "47" above the quote; and then click that link, it'll take you to a website which is more "reliable"
http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf
Here it is.
Sep 2, 2012 6:29 PM

Jun 2012
^thanks

x_Triggerbee said:
Hapax said:
FUCK

In which country US :around 675 000 legals
canada 280 681 etc...
anyhow more than 10 000.
HapaxSep 2, 2012 6:36 PM

Sep 2, 2012 6:30 PM

Mar 2011
Very good for capitalist countries, especially the illegal ones, as you can pay them below the minimum wage.

Personally, I see no reason to stop immigrants coming to our country to work, in the UK unemployment is very low right now, and so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't come an work.

Obviously you have some who come from countries with very different culture, and this is also fine. The only people that concern me are people of very different cultures (of one we consider to be bad in terms of gender or race equality) who continue to act as they are in their own country. Those people are of a very small minority though, and so I wouldn't let that affect my opinion on accepting immigrants at all.
Sep 2, 2012 6:32 PM

Dec 2011
Zanzie said:
Karpman said:
It happens everywhere. People come from one country to another for work, better living and the likes, e.g. Mexicans who go to America, Mid-Europeans within countries like Poland and Romania go the countries with a more prosperous economy. A lot of people see them as job-thieves or just a plain annoyance, but the other side is that they are helping our economy. With employers having to spend less money on wages and the overall profit going up, this is helping our economy, and then there is the thing which leaves the natives with less job possibilities.

That's interesting. Because my parents are immigrants to Canada, I'm first generation. Now.. who's job did my dad take in the 80's? No one's, he went into the managers office, picked him up and said in poor broken english "I need a f*ckin job to feed my family, I just came here, you can give me the worst positions ever and kick me in the face, but I still need that job" that's how he got his job. Now; my mom has a masters degree in teaching+psychology, yet her degree isn't recognized here. So she cannot work as a teacher. Sucks right? Not really, because they are both educated; and with their intellect I live as if my parents were getting the salary of lawyers (cool right? You can be smart; get a shitty job, and yet live well. So the point is.. get an education if you worry about immigrants taking your jobs)

So no, immigrants don't take cushiony jobs. People who think that.. are hicks who themselves have no education, and don't know what to do. Sorry to say but that's the truth. I have YET to see an immigrant who is highly educated, don't tell me your "Pakistani pharmacist" because they got their degree's in the country.

The only "job loss" is for part-time jobs. And that's not even because of immigrants; it's because of the decline in education. No one wants to educate themselves because a lot of people give up; or waste time on hobbies. For example, in my high school 90% of the people said "Nah after high school i'm done with school. Another 4? 8 years? No I hate school." This causes people to compete over the low-end jobs. Wages are not "cheaper", wages at minimum wage have been going up. No matter who you are/where you are from, you will get minimum wage, and that's standard for all. So no the company won't say "Oh you're from the USA; you get $9.25 an hour; Oh you're from Europe; you get $8.25" No that doesn't work. The same thing as you hear as jokes in the USA "I hired a mexican gardener for 10 cents a day" well guess what; if they're illegal immigrants, you get fined. If they are legal immigrants, you get fined, for not paying minimum wage.

I don't want to hear about "Immigrants are thieves" because no immigrant would want to risk them being deported from the country. (yes that can happen), and that will cause even more problems when they go back to their home country because they have an international criminal record.

In all seriousness; immigrants are more hard working than the people here. They deserve more pay, and they are more respectable than the people in the USA/Canada. Don't say "You're saying that because your parents are immigrants" Because in all honesty, even if they weren't I'd say the same thing.

Cassper said:
uzu-dragons said:
Cassper said:

Hispanic - 16%
Black - 12%

Ok if you don't consider WIkipedia a reliable source press the "47" above the quote; and then click that link, it'll take you to a website which is more "reliable"
Here it is.

So if they don't want to risk being deported, then why even come here yet. I understand that alot of your immigrants in the US are illegal but trying to get citizenship, but getting citizenship takes awhile to obtain. They should try to obtain the citizenship before coming here.
Sep 2, 2012 6:40 PM
Aug 2012
Cassper said:
Zanzie said:
Karpman said:

Cassper said:
uzu-dragons said:
Cassper said:

Hispanic - 16%
Black - 12%

Here it is.

So if they don't want to risk being deported, then why even come here yet. I understand that alot of your immigrants in the US are illegal but trying to get citizenship, but getting citizenship takes awhile to obtain. They should try to obtain the citizenship before coming here.

To commit crimes to be deported; even if you legalize your citizenship, and for example you commit armed robbery, they can deport you from the US/Canada. It depends on the crime, and how long you have been a citizen. But I'm sure someone who immigrates legally and is a citizen for 20 years (now 40 years old) is going to commit crimes for money.
Sep 2, 2012 6:41 PM

Dec 2011
Cassper said:
uzu-dragons said:
Cassper said:

Hispanic - 16%
Black - 12%

uh k. How about from the US Census Bureau even though it's the same as wikipedia.
In 2010 white alone is 69.1% of the total population.
http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/population/cb12-90.html
in 2011 the hispanic population is around 16.7, up from 16.3 in 2010

guys... at least spoiler tag your gigantic quotes
Sep 2, 2012 6:46 PM
Nov 2011
Hapax said:
^thanks

x_Triggerbee said:
Hapax said:
FUCK

In which country US :around 675 000 legals
canada 280 681 etc...
anyhow more than 10 000.

busts. with an s.
so ya over 10 000 lol
and anyway i use to know some guys who did that stuff.
to bring over they're family and cousins and crap.

there's ALOT more then what you see in the news or read online.
think the cops and govt are just going to be like hey! look at how incompitent we are!

Sep 2, 2012 6:47 PM

Dec 2011
Zanzie said:
Cassper said:
Zanzie said:
Karpman said:

Cassper said:
uzu-dragons said:
Cassper said:

Hispanic - 16%
Black - 12%

Here it is.

To commit crimes to be deported; even if you legalize your citizenship, and for example you commit armed robbery, they can deport you from the US/Canada. It depends on the crime, and how long you have been a citizen. But I'm sure someone who immigrates legally and is a citizen for 20 years (now 40 years old) is going to commit crimes for money.

I wouldn't go as far to say they would. If they immigrate here legally and are a citizen, they wouldn't deport you. You're a citizen and will treated like one in a court of law.

And being here illegally is a crime in itself!
Sep 2, 2012 7:08 PM
Aug 2012
Cassper said:

I wouldn't go as far to say they would. If they immigrate here legally and are a citizen, they wouldn't deport you. You're a citizen and will treated like one in a court of law.

It's quite possible. It's actually not common for that to happen; but in the first few years of immigration you can be deported even if you are a citizen. Have you not seen people having to leave the country and their kids aren't deported because they were born in the country?
http://www.filipinojournal.com/v2/index.php?pagetype=read&article_num=11242008232006&latest_issue=V22-N22
Read this;
Sep 2, 2012 7:32 PM

Apr 2012
Zanzie said:
Cassper said:

It's quite possible. It's actually not common for that to happen; but in the first few years of immigration you can be deported even if you are a citizen. Have you not seen people having to leave the country and their kids aren't deported because they were born in the country?
http://www.filipinojournal.com/v2/index.php?pagetype=read&article_num=11242008232006&latest_issue=V22-N22
Read this;

I had a teacher whom was Filipino. Just posting some random shit here.
Sep 2, 2012 7:42 PM
Aug 2012
BloodyRage said:
Zanzie said:
Cassper said:

Read this;

That's fine; I had a teacher who was from India. Depends on how it works. Back in the 80's it was much harder to get a "acceptable" teaching degree. My teacher who was from India actually finished his degree in Canada; so he could work here.
I can tell you your Filipino teacher either 1) Had the degree from your country or 2) passed an exam in your country.
Personal information: Read if you want;
Sep 2, 2012 7:51 PM

Apr 2012
Zanzie said:
BloodyRage said:
Zanzie said:
Cassper said:

Read this;

That's fine; I had a teacher who was from India. Depends on how it works. Back in the 80's it was much harder to get a "acceptable" teaching degree. My teacher who was from India actually finished his degree in Canada; so he could work here.
I can tell you your Filipino teacher either 1) Had the degree from your country or 2) passed an exam in your country.
Personal information: Read if you want;

Oh wow, thats hella interesting. Cool. And true, true.
Sep 3, 2012 3:26 AM
Nov 2011

"*unwatch thread*

so to sum it up white people are being assimilated.

in canada and the u.s
look at how many "other" there is. ALOT right.
look at china. japan. africa. how many f****** white people you see there.

o whats that? not as many as here? barely any?

checkmate. and good bye.

p.s when you look it up....
look at the world as a whole. WHITE people are a minority.

help keep the race from being extinct. as we are a dying breed. "

Sep 3, 2012 3:32 AM

Jun 2012
assets, people bitch about immigration, i.e builders in the UK complaining all the Polish who have come over have stolen their jobs. No they haven't stolen your job they have just done it better than you. Quite bitching and work harder. If you want to live in a capitalist society role with the punches and stop complaining.

On another note, fuck capitalism!
Sep 3, 2012 1:28 PM

Jun 2010
XR said:
assets, people bitch about immigration, i.e builders in the UK complaining all the Polish who have come over have stolen their jobs. No they haven't stolen your job they have just done it better than you. Quite bitching and work harder. If you want to live in a capitalist society role with the punches and stop complaining.

Fuck capitalism even though it's the most moral and compassionate system towards immigrants?

Movie of the Week
Humanity and Paper Balloons
( Sadao Yamanaka, 1937 )

If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan
club! Thank you (:

Sep 3, 2012 1:43 PM

Jul 2011
BluntZ said:
XR said:

Fuck capitalism even though it's the most moral and compassionate system towards immigrants?

While its morality and compassion can be questioned, there shouldn't be any question that capitalism has empowered the lowest classes in developing countries and immigrants from those countries.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Sep 3, 2012 2:23 PM

Aug 2012
I don't have a problem with immigrants (I'm the offspring of immigrants, lol). They should be given every opportunity that natural born citizens have, so they shouldn't be paid any less for the same work that a non-immigrant might do in the same job.

People who pay illegal immigrants less than minimum wage simply because they can get away with it are abusing their power over them, they should be punished more so than the illegal immigrants so that there is no incentive for them to hire illegal immigrants in the first place, and if natural-born citizens still don't want those jobs than make the immigration process easier for the immigrants to move legally to the new country and take on those jobs while still at least being paid minimum wage.
Sep 3, 2012 3:35 PM

Jul 2011
AozoraZoro said:
I don't have a problem with immigrants (I'm the offspring of immigrants, lol). They should be given every opportunity that natural born citizens have, so they shouldn't be paid any less for the same work that a non-immigrant might do in the same job.

People who pay illegal immigrants less than minimum wage simply because they can get away with it are abusing their power over them, they should be punished more so than the illegal immigrants so that there is no incentive for them to hire illegal immigrants in the first place, and if natural-born citizens still don't want those jobs than make the immigration process easier for the immigrants to move legally to the new country and take on those jobs while still at least being paid minimum wage.

Their work is not worth minimum wage though, why shouldn't they be paid less than workers in a developed country? Remember that the wages they are getting paid here are many times better than the ones they could get in their home country.

Btw, I'm assuming we're talking about unskilled labor here.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Sep 3, 2012 5:14 PM

Aug 2012
jrgcool35 said:
AozoraZoro said:

Their work is not worth minimum wage though, why shouldn't they be paid less than workers in a developed country? Remember that the wages they are getting paid here are many times better than the ones they could get in their home country.

Btw, I'm assuming we're talking about unskilled labor here.
Minimum wage laws (and labour laws in general) exist to ensure that citizens can a passable quality of life in the country they live in. They are adjusted every so often to take cost of living (inflation) into account. Even if the immigrant is making more money than they would have back in their own country it doesn't guarantee their quality of life would be better, housing costs, food costs, utilities, these are all things that change depending on where you live, even within your own country. For example, some places here in Canada a litre of milk costs twice or three times as much as other places because of transportation reasons (isolated areas). Housing costs are more expensive in cities is another example. There is also no guarantee that the wages are better than the ones they would get back in their native countries, since they are illegal and the price is set by the employer there is no way to back that claim up.

There's also economic reasons too... if every employer is trying to pay the least amount possible and is paying extremely low wages to illegal immigrants than that's less money in the community over all, since the employer is likely to just sit on it or spend it elsewhere whereas workers are going to spend it in their community. If workers can afford to go out to restaurants or nightclubs or the cinemas after work then those businesses also flourish, so it's better for everyone if everyone gets at least minimum wage and can live decently then always having to scrap by, even if they were doing worse off before immigrating. There are people in Canada who have homes, but no electricity because they can't afford it, there are people living in worse conditions than that.

But the biggest problem isn't just the wages. Illegal immigrants have absolutely no protections at all. There is nothing stopping someone from firing their workers just because another illegal immigrant shows up and is willing to work for a few cents less. Also a lot of illegal immigrants work very dangerous jobs, such as in slaughterhouses and end up getting injuries that they can never be compensated for, since they are illegal immigrants. Children of illegal immigrants could also end up being forced to work as well, working long work hours that could be spent in school. It's all, like I said, abuse of power simply because the illegal immigrant doesn't have the ability to work and be protected in the country legally. They are human rights violations which is why it's better to make sure there is no incentive to hire illegal immigrants in the first place, and if they are needed (because citizens aren't taking the jobs), then make it easier for them to get into the country.
Sep 3, 2012 5:44 PM

Dec 2011
I live in Canada...
Sep 3, 2012 6:31 PM

Jun 2012
a) minimum wage does not matter anymore. it was progressive in maybe the 30s in america (don't know where you live) tho because of labors very poor power in america and other countries (eg. britain) minimum wage has pretty much only increased at inflation's rate which means it hasn't changed much

very little change over a long period of time in effective dollars

yeah generally crap work is called minimum work and therefore deserves legal pay
just cause i break my back in a construction job while you sit on your fat ass in a chair doesn't mean you should get 3x more money than me
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Sep 3, 2012 9:16 PM

Jun 2012
Actually allot of Construction company hire Illegal migrant because they just don't find any legal worker (france). I don't get why government don't give those stay pass...

And yes minimun wage (correlate with inflation) dropped (france). It's not enough anymore to live, mostly because of this stupid real estate crisis. Tons of uninhabited housing and tons of people living in the street. Makes no sense

Regicide said:

yeah generally crap work is called minimum work and therefore deserves legal pay
just cause i break my back in a construction job while you sit on your fat ass in a chair doesn't mean you should get 3x more money than me

They should went to school /sarcasm
Everytime someone tells this, I think to invest in a baseball bat.
HapaxSep 4, 2012 12:40 AM

Sep 3, 2012 11:22 PM

Jun 2012
oh yah that too
in america i have the same thing. something like 1/7 houses are uninhabited
theres plenty of room for immigrants ( or the homeless, who are only 1/400 in my country
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Sep 3, 2012 11:39 PM
Aug 2012
AozoraZoro said:

Well you do know it is illegal to hire illegal immigrants right? There already are laws against it. Too many people joke saying "Yeah I paid 5 cents to my mexican gardener" well that's not how it works. Usually people who say that have millions of dollars and it's in comparison to their own wealth. So no one hires illegal immigrants for cheaper.

To people saying inflation/minimum wage etc. no one has ever had the ability to live off minimum wage; ever. People who claim to have lived on minimum wage have had multiple jobs, bonuses from the company and probably did under the table deals.
Sep 4, 2012 12:15 AM

Jun 2012
Zanzie said:

Well you do know it is illegal to hire illegal immigrants right? There already are laws against it. Too many people joke saying "Yeah I paid 5 cents to my mexican gardener" well that's not how it works. Usually people who say that have millions of dollars and it's in comparison to their own wealth. So no one hires illegal immigrants for cheaper.

Well, illegal immigrant work is somehow "tolerated" (france). There's actually case of illegal migrant who get official salary sheet... And indeed I don't think many company would risk to pay under minimum wage (heavy condamnation). Still happen

Zanzie said:

To people saying inflation/minimum wage etc. no one has ever had the ability to live off minimum wage; ever. People who claim to have lived on minimum wage have had multiple jobs, bonuses from the company and probably did under the table deals.

Well, the graph show it was possible 10 years ago. And if I refer to older person I know, it was indeed possible 10 years ago. (but it was in france, a bit higher min. wage) Also depend on familial situation, health, etc...
HapaxSep 4, 2012 12:31 AM

Sep 4, 2012 1:22 AM

Feb 2009
It all depends on the current economy whether immigrants are considered a boon or a blight. In good times you'll always hear how hardworking and family oriented they are, and willing to do hard jobs for cheap. In bad times they suddenly become the source of all crime and poverty, sucking at the government's teat, stealing the benefits meant for citizens while overpopulating like cockroaches.

Every group of immigrants goes through this when they first come to a new country, and then their kids (1st and 2nd generation citizens) lead the wave against the new immigrants.

My favorite thing is whenever there is a backlash against immigrants, the ones attacking always give the same story - "My (insert ancestor here) came to this country with nothing but the clothes on his back, (insert insignificant amount of money) in his pocket, and a dream. But he did it the right way, not like this bunch of rabble we have now..."

Either way, they always end up getting used as either a stepping stone or a whipping boy.
Is there another word for synonym?
Sep 4, 2012 5:36 AM

Aug 2012
Hapax said:
Hyunckel said:
I see the first post from OP has been taken care of as well. Good job mods =)

Seeing some of the replies, I think this thread can't go anywhere except bringing hate inside (being by racist posts or trolls baiting others into posting in a manner that would make them appear racist).

This thread should be locked imo.

My dear, regarding some post and comment I'm sure you have straight opinion on this. It would really be a waste to not share it. Please help yourself

I don't see how it will change anything to share one's view on the subject. Thus, I won't share my opinion on the subject. It's a complicated matter that can't be summarized in one liners.

And the people that thought/debated on that topic before us, didn't find a solution either. It's like the subs vs dubs flamewar. Each one is entitled to like what he think is the best for him.

On the immigration matter, there are a lot of things the general people do not know about (hey, not everything politics tell you they do if for your own good).

Depending on your interlocutor's degree of enlightenment, you can't have the same discour.

Tl;dr this subject shouldn't be treated lightly on a mere anime forum where half of the people taking part in it have not the necessary knowledge to have a real opinion about it.

Cheers.

EDIT: I found out why you wanted to bait me. You're the one's ideas I thought were flawed in that other thread you linked (that I completely forgot).
Seems like you had to change your nickname and hide you're from France. So sad. You should be proud of your country :)
Anyway, I have nothing more to tell you, especially that I know your opinion on all of that. And you should have understood mine as well.
Ciao
HyunckelSep 4, 2012 6:09 AM

Sep 4, 2012 6:04 AM

Aug 2012
Karpman said:
Hyunckel said:
I see the first post from OP has been taken care of as well. Good job mods =)

Seeing some of the replies, I think this thread can't go anywhere except bringing hate inside (being by racist posts or trolls baiting others into posting in a manner that would make them appear racist).

This thread should be locked imo.

What do you mean? Unless I am tripping balls nothing happened with my post. Actually if you looked in the first two pages some actual discussion happened, I knew it was a bit of trollbait, but nonetheless I tried, don't understand your problem here. Unless you want "[insert important guy here] died :(" and music threads all day, this can give some discussion, but I think you just looked at the title and decided to make this post.

I would rather have these kind of threads plus gun threads then visit MAL to say "RIP Osama bin Laden" every day.

x_Triggerbee said:
they got a black prez to please the masses.

What?! The Americans voted themselves so "they" is themselves, not somebody else, as I mentioned in my previous post, white people are as racist as anybody else, it is all up to the individual, only that black people tend to be more racist because they had been abused in the past and still in South Africa, check up your facts more.

What ? I read 5 pages, yes there was 5 before Regicide's posts were taken care of, and those of Kira-onisan as well it seems. I had enough and saw this was coming nowhere.

Sorry if I thought the OP was gone as well, must have been a misunderstanding.

Anyway, I still predict this thread to get lock sometime in the future, people take everything personal here.

Sorry for the double post.
HyunckelSep 4, 2012 6:09 AM

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
15 minutes ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
39 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
46 minutes ago

» Looking for friends | Cultural exchange and otaku conversations

KMIR - 48 minutes ago

0 by KMIR »»
48 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

83 by Dracowyn »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.