Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 10, 2012 6:04 PM

Jul 2012
Basically what the topic says. I've heard good things about the manga counterpart of this and am pretty interested in the adaption. However, I want to know if I need to have already seen To LOVE-Ru before I'm able to watch this when it comes out. I sort of hope that I don't have to, since from what I've heard To LOVE-Ru is pretty much ecchi and fanservice central.
Aug 10, 2012 6:15 PM

Jan 2012
Well if you want to know more about the charaters then yes. Since Darkness is a sequel they espect you to know most stuff. Also alot of Darkness also is pretty much fanservice though it also has a plot.
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Aug 10, 2012 6:23 PM

Nov 2011
It would be a good idea as it would give you a better understanding of the characters.

One of the most popular characters in the original series plays the main role in Darkness so it is recommended to watch the To Love Ru to know her better. There is also a new character in Darkness not from the original series but all the main cast returns in this upcoming anime with two of them getting main roles.

Recommended but not a total must in my estimate.
Aug 10, 2012 7:17 PM

Aug 2010
Definitely will help if you watch the original series, but it's not absolutely necessary, they will re introduce the characters again I think at the start of the new series. There will be existing character relations though that you may not understand.
Eyes always lose their fire

Aug 14, 2012 3:12 PM

Oct 2008
First series is pretty awful, watch motto if you want some introduction to the cast.
Aug 16, 2012 3:42 PM
Mar 2012
Is there a OVA of it cause I just saw one o.o and its RAW atm
Aug 16, 2012 3:44 PM

Nov 2010
crysisxforce said:
Is there a OVA of it cause I just saw one o.o and its RAW atm

Yeah a To Love Ru Darkness OVA came out today raw
Aug 17, 2012 10:19 AM
Jul 2018
I will say you should better watch To Love Ru( first season) and Motto To Love Ru (Second season) before To Love Ru Darkness, because it will help you understand the characters. If you start watching To Love Ru Darkness first, you will be confuse.
removed-userAug 17, 2012 10:27 AM
Aug 17, 2012 11:39 AM

May 2010
I say you should skip the first season (read manga instead) then switch anime at the point were motto to love ru started. Then continue watching form there. That's what I did
Aug 17, 2012 12:05 PM

Nov 2010
noyoureinsane said:
Basically what the topic says. I've heard good things about the manga counterpart of this and am pretty interested in the adaption. However, I want to know if I need to have already seen To LOVE-Ru before I'm able to watch this when it comes out. I sort of hope that I don't have to, since from what I've heard To LOVE-Ru is pretty much ecchi and fanservice central.

I am pretty damn sure that fan service and ecchiness is what people are looking for when they go to watch To Love Ru, and Darkness is going to have probably more(including nipples). Like they say the characters are the same, I don't know about just watching Motto To Love Ru because it doesn't show the introduction to the characters( their personality and attitude when the MC first met them) and there are a lot of girl characters that you would have to remember without enough story to remember them. To Love Ru is only 26 episodes if you watch it you should be able to finish it in a couple days.
Aug 21, 2012 11:06 PM

Feb 2011
well if you come for the plot, then the answer is a resounding yes.
Sep 4, 2012 7:53 PM

Dec 2007
Basically it's like this:

To LOVE-Ru starts off following the manga then strays midway into a unique (and crappy) end.

To LOVE-Ru OVA adds more manga content into the series as well as introduce characters the anime didn't to prepare for the Motto sequel.

Motto To LOVE-Ru follows the manga 100%, ignoring the stuff that To LOVE-Ru already showed and ends exactly where the manga ended.

To LOVE-Ru Darkness follows directly after the events from Motto To LOVE-Ru end so yeah, you kinda need to watch the previous anime.

To LOVE-Ru Darkness OVA is a few small skits from the To LOVE-Ru Darkness manga.
WhaleCostumeSep 4, 2012 7:58 PM
Sep 5, 2012 1:54 PM

Feb 2011
Darkness is a direct sequel. It would make no sense without having watched/read To-LOVE-Ru.
Sep 5, 2012 4:15 PM

Jan 2012
I would you recommend to start reading the manga (its really good). The first season of TLR was awfull with many fillers, it will not give you a good impression about TLR. The OVA's and Moto To Lo Ru are much better so you could combine these things.
Sep 5, 2012 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
The first season was quite awful due to huge amount of fillers. It will be better if you read the manga. It was a lot better than the anime itself. The second season Motto To Love Ru was better than the first season.

To Love Ru Darkness is a sequel, you can watch To Love Ru and Motto To Love Ru if you want to only if you want to understand the characters.
Sep 13, 2012 12:49 PM

Dec 2010
I would say its best to read or watch To Love Ru to understand the characters better, not to mention Motto To Love Ru was very faithful to the manga so its worth a watch regardless, the first season has a lot of filler thus making it mediocre but it still isn't horrible and it will give you a good grasp on certain character relationships.
Oct 13, 2012 11:43 AM

Sep 2012
rishardew said:

I watched To Love-Ru back in 2008 (and didn't really like it), and now I was thinking about picking up Darkness.
So, I read that Motto went till the end of the manga, but the first two seasons covered the whole manga?

Anyway, I don't plan to rewatch the first season, so anyone could tell me at which chapter Motto starts?

Honestly I would rather forget the first season because it messed up the character design as well as original stories that do not feel right.

By contrast, Motto sticks close to the spirit of the manga and uses almost only stories originally in the manga. I gave two thumbs up to Motto (proved by buying the whole season's BDs). So to me, ToLoveRu is one of very rare thing in anime that the 2nd season is far better than the 1st season.

The first episode of Motto is from around the second half of Vol.6 and the last episode is precisely the last chapter in the manga (and Darkness picks up right after that). Just bear in mind that stories in the anime do not necessarily follow the order in the manga.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 13, 2012 2:22 PM

Dec 2010
rishardew said:
Thanks for the fast answer!

symbv said:
Honestly I would rather forget the first season because it messed up the character design as well as original stories that do not feel right.

What did they mess up in the character designs?

symbv said:
The first episode of Motto is from around the second half of Vol.6 and the last episode is precisely the last chapter in the manga (and Darkness picks up right after that). Just bear in mind that stories in the anime do not necessarily follow the order in the manga.

I might read till vol.7 and then pick up the second season then, or just skip to Motto at once D:

And what about the OVAs, should I bother with these?

Well they introduce Momo if i recall, so you might want to try them, from what i remember tho they aren't much better than season 1 if at all, thus worst than Motto and obviously worse than Darkness
Oct 13, 2012 2:28 PM

Sep 2012
rishardew said:

What did they mess up in the character designs?

If you love the characters in the manga, you should find the behavior of the characters in those original stories in the 1st season anime quite out of character.

rishardew said:

I might read till vol.7 and then pick up the second season then, or just skip to Motto at once D:

You don't really need to read the manga to enjoy Motto. The anime is almost like the manga animated. OK there can be changes or lumping of a few stories into one but it never feels out of place. Of course you can read the manga for those stories that are not animated, but since ToLoveRu does not really have any strict chronological order, even if you miss some stories there is no problem for your understanding of the ToLoveRu world.
rishardew said:

And what about the OVAs, should I bother with these?

There are 6 of them and there are original stories as well as stories from the manga, and feedback is good for all of them. Not as good as Motto maybe but definitely much better than season 1. As InfiniteDestiny said, Nana and Momo only started to show up in OVA (if I remember correctly it is OVA #4), so you may want to check them out if you want to know more about the two characters before starting Darkness.
symbvOct 13, 2012 2:33 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 13, 2012 6:16 PM

Mar 2012
I would definitely avoid to love ru or simply watch the first five or so episodes for a basic understanding. Most of it was useless and I never even understood most of the story from watching the first season ( don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing the manga). Even now I am confused about certain things such as how they got celine but all the information you really need to know is that rito is making a harem and golden darkness is an asssassin
Oct 13, 2012 6:18 PM

Dec 2010
You'll have a better time understanding the whole plot if you watch TLR. It's not really just mindless ecchi.

Otherwise this wouldn't be such a great show. OK maybe it would but it's even better because there's actually a story behind it, too.

Oct 14, 2012 8:06 PM
Aug 2012
I'd say you should probably read the manga and/ore watch Motto, the first season was ok but it had way too much filler. And the OVAs were pretty good.
Oct 15, 2012 9:43 AM

Sep 2012
@rishardew
In short, I advise you to watch the OVA first and then Motto (manga too if you have time). That should help you enjoy Darkness more.

Oct 16, 2012 12:55 PM

Dec 2010
rishardew said:
symbv said:
@rishardew
In short, I advise you to watch the OVA first and then Motto (manga too if you have time). That should help you enjoy Darkness more.

Got it, everything is ready :D
Last one: Darkness OVAs after Motto?

Yes, but Darkness OVA well episode 1 at least is a prequel to the first episode of Darkness, it shows Momo harem concept coming together. So in other words for order

To Love Ru (you can skip this, if anything reading the manga is way way better, the anime really ruined the designs which is something Motto fixed up imo)
1.To Love Ru OVA (you should watch this for Momo)
2.To Love Ru Motto (faithful to the manga but out of order if i remember correctly, but it doesn't matter anyway, its mostly episodic)
3.To Love Ru Darkness OVA
4.To Love Ru Darkness
Aug 27, 2016 10:02 PM
Apr 2016
After struggling to get through the boring to love ru ovas to get to motto to love ru, I can say to anyone confidently, just after getting through 2 episodes of Motto (which apparently is episode 6 since each episode is split up into parts) that you really have no need to watch anything before this if your goal is to get to Darkness. They are harem characters, you figure them out so fast and their relationships backstories etc are given to you-like I said I'm near the end of episode 2 of Motto after giving up on the boring OVAS before it (got through like 2) and it's "episode 6" in to love ru terms and it just seems to be a bunch of mini ovas (3 per episode) without any purpose but to set up the show for Darkness. I'm obviously not a fan of shows with no story but I think I could get through this instead of the huge time sink I was dreading before Darkness. That's my opinion. Hope it helps those who are turned off by silly pointless and mostly boring slice of life ecchi harem 'comedy'.

Edit- Again, this is from the opinion of someone who is not interested in the ecchi harem 'comedy' slice-of-life rinse and repeat style (I.E. no action nor overarching plot) t hat you force yourself through-again if you aren't: 1) A fan of the manga, old school or otherwise. 2) A fan of the original show/first season. 3) Or just don't have enough time and/or alcohol to get through it then this post might help those who waver on getting into this series. After I posted, I forced myself through motto love-ru ep 5-again in motto terms that essentially means 25 short stories to get you familiar with the characters. I got sick of it. Now 5 minutes into Darkness s1e01, it appears very single character that's important is already getting their intro/set up. That's my opinion AND AGAIN nothing against people who love this franchise, that's my opinion and I imagine it coincides with anyone else who struggled to get into the to love-ru universe.
anonmangodAug 28, 2016 12:53 AM
Oct 7, 2016 11:19 PM
Master NEET
Oct 2010
Try a couple of prequel episodes; the first season can actually be shortened in half they are not as good. It gets better in Motto better in Darkness and even better in Darkness 2nd. It's actually quite satisfying to see a show that I generally liked (8/10) - u can tell from my profile name - get better and better. The manga for Darkness is 9.2/10 i believe.

I would recommend watching the prequels.

If you find the prequel not bad, then u will be excited to know that there are over 4 seasons and they get better and better.

More topics from this board

Poll: » To LOVE-Ru Darkness Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2012

133 by Beerster »»
Jan 2, 12:19 PM

Poll: » To LOVE-Ru Darkness Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2012

156 by Beerster »»
Sep 24, 2023 7:36 AM

» does anybody know the ost in ep 11 at around 21:20

Mowskyie - Aug 15, 2023

5 by removed-user »»
Aug 17, 2023 2:16 PM

Poll: » To LOVE-Ru Darkness Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2012

64 by nghuytoan1993 »»
Feb 6, 2023 6:18 AM

Poll: » To LOVE-Ru Darkness Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

74 by nghuytoan1993 »»
Feb 6, 2023 5:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.