Forum Settings
Forums

For non-japanese:-Have you ever though of learning Japanese so watching Anime would be sooooo much easier?????

New
Sep 13, 2008 2:15 PM

Aug 2008
Imagine watching Anime is much easier\funnier\more straightforward..... etc

Actually I am really into it, I think I am going to do it sometime in the future, At least you could watch new episodes when it still [RAW]

This alone is a big advantage, yet there are a lot of advantages ahead of you I think.
SweetMoniaSep 13, 2008 3:09 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 13, 2008 2:20 PM

Sep 2007
Reading subtitles isn't at all hard for me so I could care less about learning Japanese to make watching anime easier.
Sep 13, 2008 2:21 PM

Jul 2008
It also gives you access to older and more obscure shows and comics that never have and probably never will be translated into English - a bigger deal than new shows that will probably be translated if you give it a month or so.

And if you have a more general interest in Japan there's that as well.
Sep 13, 2008 2:21 PM

Apr 2007
I am japanese, so no.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2008 2:22 PM

Apr 2008
The only thing you really get from learning Japanese just for watching anime is that you'll most likely will have a greater understanding of japanese customs and names (including honorifics), which would make it easier for you to understand certain jokes.

Don't bother learning japanese for the sole purpose of watching anime. I still read subtitles for anime or films (be it in japanese or english) as it's just habit.
Sep 13, 2008 2:28 PM

Apr 2008
I once thought of learning more kanji so that I could read a yaoi doujin about Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

Seriously.
Sep 13, 2008 2:28 PM

Aug 2008
Iriya said:
Reading subtitles isn't at all hard for me so I could care less about learning Japanese to make watching anime easier.

Sohei said:
The only thing you really get from learning Japanese just for watching anime is that you'll most likely will have a greater understanding of japanese customs and names (including honorifics), which would make it easier for you to understand certain jokes.

Don't bother learning japanese for the sole purpose of watching anime. I still read subtitles for anime or films (be it in japanese or english) as it's just habit.

Reading subtitles is not hard, but it's a very great to be able to understand a new culture (Japanese one is interesting). Plus, after my experience of learning Chinese(I know a little actually), I find it very amusing to be able to understand languages that always seemed just like random sketches(no offense meant here).

It isn't All about making watching easier, Making it much funnier too.

SweetMoniaSep 13, 2008 2:33 PM
Sep 13, 2008 2:30 PM

Aug 2008
Sohei said:

This is one of my reasons, actually
Sep 13, 2008 2:33 PM

Apr 2008
SweetMonia said:

Reading subtitles is not hard, but it's a very great to be able to understand a new culture (Japanese one is interesting). Plus, after my experience of learning Chinese(I know a little actually), I find it very amusing to be able to understand languages that always seemed just like random sketches(no offense meant here).

Well yes, but to understand a culture you don't necessarily have to speak the language. I watch all my films with subtitles, even though i might be fluent in both langauges as it sometimes alerts us to words we might otherwise have missed.
Sep 13, 2008 2:36 PM

Aug 2008
Sohei said:
SweetMonia said:

Well yes, but to understand a culture you don't necessarily have to speak the language. I watch all my films with subtitles, even though i might be fluent in both langauges as it sometimes alerts us to words we might otherwise have missed.

You are right, But understand the language make learning the culture much easier, like having the ability to make friend with people who don't speak any other language(Japanese who speak only Japanese), Plus they say that people trust those who speak their first language(psychology theory)

From you talking I assume that you speak English\Japanesse, Japanesse is your first language ^_^
Sep 13, 2008 2:37 PM

Aug 2008
Sohei said:
SweetMonia said:

You are right, But understand the language make learning the culture much easier, like having the ability to make friend with people who don't speak any other language(Japanese who speak only Japanese), Plus they say that people trust those who speak their first language(psychology theory)

From your talking I assume that you speak English\Japanesse, Japanesse is your first language ^_^
Sep 13, 2008 2:37 PM

Jul 2008
You'll never be in the wrong trying to learn a new language; learning a new language will improve you native language as well.
Sep 13, 2008 2:38 PM

Aug 2008
yakyuu-addict said:
You'll never be in the wrong trying to learn a new language; learning a new language will improve you native language as well.

Right, It also increase your ability in math, and give you ability to be more expressive, Personne will never know when he\she will be in need to this new language
Sep 13, 2008 2:39 PM

Aug 2008
Neverender said:
I am japanese, so no.

Then here is the question:-
For japanese:-Have you ever though of forgeting Japanese so watching Anime would be sooooo much Harder?????

>>>> Just kidding ^_^
Sep 13, 2008 2:40 PM

Apr 2007
Yes, at times that idea has sounded appealing, but I have never gone through with it. I imagine completely forgetting my first language would be quite difficult.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2008 2:41 PM

May 2008
no i don't. plus i've watched enough already to get basic phrases and words.
Sep 13, 2008 2:44 PM

Apr 2008
SweetMonia said:
Sohei said:
SweetMonia said:

From your talking I assume that you speak EnglishJapanesse, Japanesse is your first language ^_^

Well, definately it helps when you're actually living in the country (to speak the language), but learning a language for the sole purpose of watching anime is quite a waste. Now im not sure what kind of culture you're refering to, as you don't necessarily need to have japanese friends to understand japanese culture (although it is definately beneficial) as culture is more than just language.
I'm not familiar with the psychogical principle, although in my experiences it definantely isn't true.
Japanese is actually my 4th language, after Dutch, English and French.
Sep 13, 2008 3:00 PM

Aug 2008
Sohei said:
SweetMonia said:
Sohei said:
SweetMonia said:

Well yes, but to understand a culture you don't necessarily have to speak the language. I watch all my films with subtitles, even though i might be fluent in both langauges as it sometimes alerts us to words wemight otherwise have missed.

From your talking I assume that you speak EnglishJapanesse, Japanesse is your first language ^_^

Well, definately it helps when you're actually living in the country (to speak the language), but learning a language for the sole purpose of watching anime is quite a waste. Now im not sure what kind of culture you're refering to, as you don't necessarily need to have japanese friends to understand japanese culture (although it is definately beneficial) as culture is more than just language.
I'm not familiar with the psychogical principle, although in my experiences it definantely isn't true.
Japanese is actually my 4th language, after Dutch, English and French.

That's maybe true, Watching Anime isn't the sole purpose of me learning Japanese(Although it's a very very important one), that's why Japanese is still my 5th language until now(after Arabic,English,French,Chinese), Just the though of the Idea make it quite interesting, I don't like hearing things I cannot understand.

Sohei said:

I'm not familiar with the psychophysical principle, although in my experiences it definitely isn't true.

I think the most correct form of the theory is:-"people tend to trust those who speak their first language", they may trust you and they not, But you will have a better chance here(Not an enough reason to consider learning their language).
Sep 13, 2008 3:11 PM

Apr 2008
SweetMonia said:

That's maybe true, Watching Anime isn't the sole purpose of me learning Japanese(Although it's a very very important one), that's why Japanese is still my 5th language until now(after Arabic,English,French,Chinese), Just the though of the Idea make it quite interesting, I don't like hearing things I cannot understand.

Well if you really want to learn japanese i suggest doing it for more than the single purpose of understanding anime. Theres many more intresting things in japan than just anime. As to how to achieve this, depending on how old you are, try to get a year of studying abroad while in college.
Sep 13, 2008 3:15 PM

Aug 2008
ive thought about it, but learning a new language is too hard... im alrdy learning spanish and even english is a second language for me
Sep 13, 2008 3:18 PM

Oct 2007
No. I'm a very fast reader, so subs are not a problem for me.

I have, however, thought of and still plan to learn Japanese for the sake of playing eroge and visual novels that have little to no chance of being translated.

bubblehead said:
It also gives you access to older and more obscure shows and comics that never have and probably never will be translated into English - a bigger deal than new shows that will probably be translated if you give it a month or so.

Truth. While not the initial reason, that has given me more motivation to learn the language.

yakyuu-addict said:

Also truth, and is actually the initial reason I decided to learn Japanese :) Tragically (or is it?), my ulterior motives managed to overshadow this. XD
You can find me on IRC.
Sep 13, 2008 3:29 PM

Aug 2008
Sohei said:
SweetMonia said:

Well if you really want to learn japanese i suggest doing it for more than the single purpose of understanding anime. Theres many more intresting things in japan than just anime. As to how to achieve this, depending on how old you are, try to get a year of studying abroad while in college.

You are quite right, I heard Japanese is one of the most useful for scientific purposes(I just got my Bachelor in Computer Science), Sometimes, It's confusing to chose what languages to learn, Japanese is still on my waiting list(will compete with Germany, which is another good language to learn), studying abroad is a good way of practicing, but it shouldn't be considered unless you had some grip on the language, otherwise you will end up learning it the very hard way.

I am happy to have this discussion with you, It's nice to have people who share the same interest as yours.
Sep 13, 2008 3:31 PM

Dec 2007
i learned most of my japanese by watchin anime. and japanese dramas. ^^ i wanna learn how to write in kanji though.
Sep 13, 2008 3:32 PM

May 2008
While it's ok for for media like anime to spark an interest in a foreign culture like Japan, anime itself is the last reason you should want to learn a language. Of course it's not a COMPLETELY invalid one if you really love anime.

But really, learning Japanese for anime makes it sound as if Japanese is a completely useless language and anime fans wouldn't care a thing about anything of Japanese culture if it weren't for anime.
ukonkiviSep 13, 2008 5:53 PM

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Sep 13, 2008 3:34 PM

Aug 2008
Kuyukly said:
No. I'm a very fast reader, so subs are not a problem for me.

I have, however, thought of and still plan to learn Japanese for the sake of playing eroge and visual novels that have little to no chance of being translated.

bubblehead said:

Truth. While not the initial reason, that has given me more motivation to learn the language.

yakyuu-addict said:

Also truth, and is actually the initial reason I decided to learn Japanese :) Tragically (or is it?), my ulterior motives managed to overshadow this. XD

I like this "Ulterior Motives" thing, It make learning the language much funnier, Later, You will always find another ways to get\realize the benefits of your new language.
Sep 13, 2008 3:42 PM

Aug 2008
ukonkivi said:
While it's ok for for media like anime to spark an interest in a foreign culture like Japan, anime itself is the last reason you should want to learn a language. It's not a COMPLETELY invalid one if you really love anime.

But really, learning Japanese for anime makes it sound as if Japanese is a completely useless language and anime fans wouldn't care a thing about anything of Japanese culture if it weren't for anime.

No, Japanese is never a useless Language(Sorry if it sounded like this), But Anime is part of the Japanese media that people around the world tend to watch, It made many people know Japan more and more(I used to like Japan before knowing that Anime is made in Japan ^^), There are many other things that make people focuses on Japan, Japan is the second most country I wish to visit someday(after France).

SweetMonia said:

You are quite right, I heard Japanese is one of the most useful for scientific purposes(I just got my Bachelor in Computer Science), Sometimes, It's confusing to chose what languages to learn, Japanese is still on my waiting list(will compete with Germany, which is another good language to learn), studying abroad is a good way of practicing, but it shouldn't be considered unless you had some grip on the language, otherwise you will end up learning it the very hard way.

Sep 13, 2008 3:43 PM

Dec 2007
ah. i see your point. srry,if it was any disrespect to the japanese culture.
Sep 13, 2008 3:45 PM

Apr 2008
SweetMonia said:

I am happy to have this discussion with you, It's nice to have people who share the same interest as yours.

You don't necessarily need to understand the language of the country you want to study in. There are many english language universities throughout the world (even in Japan) where you can continue studying while at the same time taking an intensive course on the language of the country.

Sep 13, 2008 3:49 PM

Aug 2008
Sohei said:
SweetMonia said:

You don't necessarily need to understand the language of the country you want to study in. There are many english language universities throughout the world (even in Japan) where you can continue studying while at the same time taking an intensive course on the language of the country.

That's right, I missed this point ^^
Sep 13, 2008 4:00 PM

May 2008
It`s easier to read than listen...
Sep 13, 2008 4:01 PM

Dec 2007
Reading the subs is easy, but sometimes the subs are wrong, so I suppose it would help to learn.
Zetsubou Shi- I'm in despair~ Me being such a horrible fan in a world filled with so many anime and cool japanese internet meme-things, not to mention games, ect. has left me in despair!~
Sep 13, 2008 4:05 PM

Aug 2008
Nijo said:
It`s easier to read than listen...

Well, It depend on the series, Some series's are fast paced
Sep 13, 2008 4:07 PM

Aug 2008
Reading subtitles isn't at all hard for me, but I am trying to learn alittle japanese.
Sep 13, 2008 4:10 PM

Jan 2008
yes i plan to learn japanese, and french

Sep 13, 2008 4:10 PM

Aug 2008
Damnedman said:
ive thought about it, but learning a new language is too hard... im alrdy learning spanish and even english is a second language for me

It's not so hard(although it requires a considerable efforts), It's just need a lot of time
Sep 13, 2008 4:13 PM

Aug 2008
Nameless-Shadow said:
Reading subtitles isn't at all hard for me, but I am trying to learn alittle japanese.

Which makes watching more funnier, even for just simple phrases(like:- Arigato, Taijobo?, Wakata)
Sep 13, 2008 4:15 PM

Jul 2008
Already learning Japanese ^^;; not for Anime purposes but of course that will be a big plus! And learning a new language is not very hard at all. I've learned English and German (Swedish is my mother tongue) and I find that you just have to be patient with it.
Life is ephemeral..smile when you can and make the most of it ^^;

Currently scribble for Cyten.co.uk
Sep 13, 2008 4:16 PM

Jul 2008
When I make a hit-list, I'll be sure to put you near the top.

Sep 13, 2008 4:18 PM

Nov 2006
i know teeny bits and pieces and all it does it make it more frustrating because sometimes (rarely) i can understand all of a sentence except one word. problem when i attempt a raw because of lack of/slow subs or looking through a doujinshi for fun.

too lazy to try harder though, o well.

Reavery2k said:
rude.
Sep 13, 2008 4:18 PM

Aug 2008
VoiceWithin said:
Already learning Japanese ^^;; not for Anime purposes but of course that will be a big plus! And learning a new language is not very hard at all. I've learned English and German (Swedish is my mother tongue) and I find that you just have to be patient with it.

I am learning French right now, I already learned English and I am going to learn Chinese afterward(Arabic is my first language).

It's nice to meet you
Sep 13, 2008 4:20 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
SweetMonia, please stop double posting so much. There's an edit link below every single forum post you make. Use that one if you want to add something. You don't have to make 2 posts to quite 2 different people. Much appreciated.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 13, 2008 4:21 PM

Jul 2008
SweetMonia said:
VoiceWithin said:

I am learning French right now, I already learned English and I am going to learn Chinese afterward(Arabic is my first language).

It's nice to meet you

Nice to meet you too!! I want to learn Chinese as well as Arabic..but for the time being I'm concentrating on Japanese :)
Life is ephemeral..smile when you can and make the most of it ^^;

Currently scribble for Cyten.co.uk
Sep 13, 2008 4:21 PM

Aug 2008
Reavery2k said:

I haven't understand this one, Could you explain please!!!!
Sep 13, 2008 4:23 PM

Nov 2006
SweetMonia said:
Reavery2k said:

they're trolling, ignore it.
Sep 13, 2008 4:24 PM

Aug 2008
cyruz said:
SweetMonia, please stop double posting so much. There's an edit link below every single forum post you make. Use that one if you want to add something. You don't have to make 2 posts to quite 2 different people. Much appreciated.

Haaaaaai, I will use one post for multi-replying, Which is much easier, But double posts comes from problems in my internet conncection,I am very Sorry about that. ^^
Sep 13, 2008 4:25 PM

Sep 2008
windy said:
SweetMonia said:
Reavery2k said:

they're trolling, ignore it.

That might need explaining, too.
Sep 13, 2008 4:34 PM

Jul 2008
Definitely - after a while you stop being proud of yourself for getting the gist and the tone of the anime you're following and start to feel guilty for not bothering to learn all these years since you started. I'm currently learning hiragana and katakana - and oh my, is it taking me an amazingly long time - but the second I get near a Japanese cultural centre late some time next month, I am so there. I may just want to follow my favourite yaoi beyond their scanlated limits, but by god the enthusiasm is there. :D
Sep 13, 2008 4:53 PM

Jul 2008
I plan on learning Japanese, speaking so I won't be able to read, but I don't know how much practical usage I will have for it aside from watching anime. I do plan to go to Japan though, so I'll have some use for it then.
Sep 13, 2008 4:53 PM

Aug 2008
I'd love to learn Japanese if I wasn't so busy with other stuff. Perhaps in a year or two.
Sep 13, 2008 5:05 PM

Aug 2008
elisegrey said:
Definitely - after a while you stop being proud of yourself for getting the gist and the tone of the anime you're following and start to feel guilty for not bothering to learn all these years since you started. I'm currently learning hiragana and katakana - and oh my, is it taking me an amazingly long time - but the second I get near a Japanese cultural centre late some time next month, I am so there. I may just want to follow my favourite yaoi beyond their scanlated limits, but by god the enthusiasm is there. :D

Eventually, you will definitely be proud of yourself as soon as you finish learning your language, For a long term process like language learning, it's hard not to have some stops, but the least gaps there are, the better ^^

yakyuu-addict said:
I plan on learning Japanese, speaking so I won't be able to read, but I don't know how much practical usage I will have for it aside from watching anime. I do plan to go to Japan though, so I'll have some use for it then.

I think Having a Japanese friend is good idea by the time you finish learning(Even without learning, IT's a good idea ^^)

Issun said:
I'd love to learn Japanese if I wasn't so busy with other stuff. Perhaps in a year or two.

Me too ^^

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Pick Your Favorite Character from the Favorite Character List of the Person Above You v10 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Aug 10, 2023

1290 by Animeistaken »»
52 seconds ago

» Pick the best anime out the above user's favorites v7 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Sep 4, 2021

6535 by 345EdwardElric »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you seen the movie above? v5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Jun 28, 2021

8705 by dreamingneon »»
3 minutes ago

» Post your opinion of the user above you v.19 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Aug 11, 2021

9424 by 6EyedBastard »»
3 minutes ago

» Post fan art of one of the above user's favorite characters! v4 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Aug 22, 2023

773 by Animeistaken »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.