Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Sep 9, 2012 8:47 AM

Sep 2012
Finally got around to watching this and putting the gore and nudity aside which so many people seem to focus on, I absolutely loved this. I'm deeply saddened that there isn't going to be any more. I so badly want to see if Lucy /nyu is alive and what happens with her relationship with kouta. It's just so hard to not feel sorry for Lucy and the torture she's been through after watching her as nyu. She's so innocent and peaceful. Makes you wonder what she would have been like if she hadn't been so abused and rejected at a young age. Like the op I think this show has redefined what a 10 is for me. Loved it. I wish I could read Japanese so I could read the Manga :(
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Sep 9, 2012 4:38 PM

Jul 2012
It really makes me sad to hear people saying how Elfen Lied was based only gore and nudity. I belive they don´t understand the beauty behind the anime.

The opening and its "nudity" was based on Gustav Klimt paintings: "The Kiss", "The Three Ages of Woman","The Hope II","Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I", "Stoclet Frieze" and the ending was based on "Danae" (yes, Perseus mother).

"I have never painted a self-portrait. I am less interested in myself as a subject for a painting than I am in other people, above all women... There is nothing special about me. I am a painter who paints day after day from morning to night... Who ever wants to know something about me... ought to look carefully at my pictures."
Gustav Klimt

If find the meanings behind the paintings, you shall understand more the anime.
XVIII_MoonSep 9, 2012 5:09 PM
Sep 9, 2012 5:11 PM

Feb 2012
it was a 10/10 anime for me amazing and really well done until....the ending. Dropped it down to a 9 for me :(. I know everyone talks about the deeper meaning to ending etc but to me it just seemed like they cut out 4 mins of the last episode and I had no idea what happened, I was actually pretty pissed XD. Still an amazing anime though 9/10.
Sep 12, 2012 5:10 PM

May 2012
Was there anyone else besides me that felt incredibly depressed after watching this? Especially after reading the manga? The music definitely made me feel sad.
Sep 15, 2012 3:03 AM

Jan 2008
A series that doesn't deserve its place at the top the anime list.

I seriously have not the slightest idea how people could rate this a 10! I barely see any redeeming qualities about this show, everything was very mediocre, even ridiculous at times (especially the characters).

Sep 15, 2012 3:22 AM

Sep 2012
To each their own. Some people hate it, some people love it. Depends on how you're watching it. Most people I know that hate it think it's ridiculous because of the idea behind the diclonius and the large amounts of gore when that's not remotely close to the true themes behind the work.

Sep 21, 2012 1:30 PM

Aug 2012
One of my favorite anime's to this day, i gave it a 9, watched all of it in 2 days, the whole show kept me interested from start to finish, you just never know when Lucy would come out, and Nyu is one of my favorite characters.
Nov 4, 2012 7:44 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
Isn't it amazing how an anime can generate such extreme reaction both pro and con. People either love it [I'm one] or hate it utterly. Few people are indifferent to it, Many rate it either 9 - 10 or 3 - 1. A few people even have stated that anyone liking Elfen Lied are stupid and sickos. It would be interesting to see a friendly discussion where both sides can say point by point why they like it or hate it. I feel that there is a lot of misinterpretation of this anime.
Nov 4, 2012 7:54 AM

Apr 2012
I'm just glad this wasn't my first anime. I can't even start to imagine how it feels to begin anime with this: I guess I would consider it a traumatic experience. Like this girl I knew who had a neighbor who showed her Urotsukidouji when she was 15, and now she's messed up, probably forever.
EratiKNov 4, 2012 8:31 AM
Nov 4, 2012 8:10 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
EratiK said:
I'm just glad this wasn't my first anime. I can't even start to imagine how it feels to begin anime with this: I guess I would consider it a traumatic experience. Like this girl I knew who had a neighbor who showed her Urotsukidouji when she was 13, and now she's messed up, probably forever.

Showing a 13 year old girl Urotsukidouji, an X rated Hentai is criminal, for Shame!!!
Remember, Elfen Lied is rated R for violence and nudity and should only be watched by people mature enough to handle it.
Nov 4, 2012 8:34 AM

Apr 2012
Correction: I just checked and she was 15. But she's still messed up.
Nov 4, 2012 11:41 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
I haven't seen Urotsukidouji, but I read the reviews and watched some clips, and I know if I had seen that in my teens I would have been messed up too. It's very cruel to trick a young and/or sensitive person into watching something like that.
Nov 4, 2012 11:54 AM

Sep 2012
I have a hard time believing a 30 year old hentai could have screwed someone up for life. They had to have issues way deeper than just watching something like that to begin with.

Dec 2, 2012 11:11 PM

Dec 2010
I enjoyed it. Finally got around to watching it, and being only 13 eps isn't always terrible. If you are going to give me a romance, you better couple it with tons of brutal violence. And it had plenty of that for me. I really enjoyed it.

The people talking about the dead foot soldiers made me lol. Reminded me of austin powers gags.
Dec 3, 2012 4:16 AM
Dec 2012
I really liked it, definitely in my top 5 anime. I would definitely watch it if they released a season 2, but, given how the manga went, I highly doubt we'll get a second season...
Dec 11, 2012 2:03 AM

Jul 2010
I rewatched this because first watch was among my first shows, and I was too inexperienced to judge it properly.

Great composition and good ideas. Everyone in the world is an idiot, and the world itself makes no sense, which is a common problem for poor Japanese tragedies. Luckily this doesn't affect the main characters, for the most part. Basically, a frustratingly poor setting cripples the show.
Dec 12, 2012 11:09 PM

Dec 2010
I doubt there will be a second season. But maybe an OVA about Lucy. She did say she fought armies to tell him she was sorry. That smells like a prime idea for an OVA.
Jan 1, 2013 4:03 PM

Apr 2012
I'm rewatching it at the moment, because my critical faculties are far better now than they were last time I saw it, and I'm interested in figuring out why I liked it so much despite it seeming a little crude. And I'm definitely noticing more things, mostly coming from the way it rams together different genres and types of people into the same narrative. When you notice things like Nana; the only innocent from the uncaring military-ish complex, taking the tie from the Director; something which isn't really a garment but a symbol of authority and conformism, and turning it into a cute headband as she sets off on a naive mission -- there's definitely far more going on here than its critics give it credit for and even than most of its fans notice. The gore has to be over the top -- it's contrasting with seashells and cut out cardboard figures being of great importance to the innocents; another thing which is over the top.
Jan 3, 2013 12:30 PM
Jul 2011
Okay, so, perhaps the fact that this anime made me want to log onto MAL (for better or for worse) says something about it.

I watched it all in one day. So yes, it had a captivating "take me along for the ride" feel to it.

But the characters just plain suck. Like, I love them. But only in the way I love sparkles and shiny things. It's fleeting, and has the depth of a 20nm sheet of carbon. Why?

Beyond boobies (which we all love, please don't ruin my views on the world today!), gore (see previous) and music tracks....

A few things that really struck me as poor char develop.

Why isn't the MC's cousin feeling shame? They're in a time period where 1st cousin love is highly unsual and very naughty. She shouldn't be worried about how much of a harem-keeping yet possessive wench she is... she should be worried about her wetspot for her cousin. Okay, I said it. She should feel downright dirty.

How come the homeless girl wasn't suffering from more issues? She was sexually molested repeatedly, then ran away from home and lived on bread crusts. Okay, she wasn't living the good life. She should be seriously messed up. Nightmares, weirded out by having people around corners. Not to mention to WATCHED lucy tear another Diclon to bits, and that didn't seem to really faze her either.

Not to mention, we need the boy to suffer more, so that he at least has someething in common with lucy? I mean why are they in love. How could he love her? It makes no sense.

Maybe I'm numb. But I think, that really, it was the characters that were numn. These poor characters were enbedding in an anime with so much fan service and gore that they become numb to their own tragedies.
Jan 3, 2013 12:37 PM

Feb 2011
It wasn't as good as the manga. :(

Edit:

Just thought I'd mention that in Japan first cousins often get married.
Jan 3, 2013 12:53 PM
Jul 2011
MadoHatta said:
It wasn't as good as the manga. :(

Edit:

Just thought I'd mention that in Japan first cousins often get married.

Well, I'll be gladly corrected then! I thought that even in Japan, it was much less common than it was (even 50 years ago). Thank you.

And I'll note, that I did really enjoy it. It just wasn't that truly depressing, messed up, keep me up all night wondering that I was promised by other reviews.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» How is this still rated 7.5?

Dirittoprocedura - Apr 29

25 by Phloup »»
Apr 29, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sandgolem - Aug 26, 2007

139 by ssangy »»
Apr 3, 12:36 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

429 by DigitalCoin »»
Mar 11, 3:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.