Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2012 7:24 PM

Apr 2008
So, this genre is currently as far from unusual as one can get, but I would like to change that.

You see, I have this idea for a 'slice of life' anime drawn in different art styles, probably using a school or studio setting. I think it could be good/unique, but in order to not make it gimmicky I want to include a good story and of course intriguing characters.

So, for research I've begun watching the three main anime that actually are about art students. None of the three have used the idea I have in any of their episodes thus far (GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class might though as it is the most art informative of the three and I'm only ep. 3 deep on each series), but for being an anime about art they don't really offer anything new to bring to the table either.

It seems too redundant to me to use this theme yet again unless I could produce a FAR better story than what these offer. So, my question for you artistic viewers is, what would you have like to see in an "art" anime that you feel is lacking in the anime currently available?

Is it that the plot isn't concrete enough? The characters don't inspire you? You were hoping to learn something new and interesting about art or famous artist or even art styles themselves?

My complaints center around all three, but I am having trouble expressing exactly what I feel is missing. What do you think, fellow otaku?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 6, 2012 4:28 PM

Jan 2009
Its not an anime,but I recommend taking a look at this OEL if you haven't already; they're about 3 different art students drawn in (somewhat) different styles for each character

http://www.webtoonlive.com/description/Speak%20Through%20Colors/

So, my question for you artistic viewers is, what would you have like to see in an "art" anime that you feel is lacking in the anime currently available?

The most well-known ones that came out post-2000 (Canvas,Hidamari Sketch,Bakuman etc.) seem directed toward a younger audience than an older one, so the themes you mentioned probably did not take such high priority

As for the exceptions (Honey & Clover's the only one that comes to mind at present) they do live up to their expectations,and then some (depending on what you're looking for)

Personally,anime that claim to revolve around art students should at the very least reflect that theme in both the visual and non-visual department.As you mentioned, it there should be some reference to the culture; be it famous artists,techniques,locations.Hardly the case
Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» More Titles ( 1 2 3 )

GOKU_NO_SORROW - Jan 12, 2008

109 by molodjez »»
Dec 25, 2021 9:08 AM

» Why is Aku No Hana the anime is so hated?

Royce - Jun 21, 2013

7 by SamuraiSteve »»
Jan 25, 2018 2:16 PM

» What is the unusual anime you have seem.

Royce - Mar 29, 2014

3 by Fab3r_of_will »»
Jun 17, 2017 5:21 PM

» Anime with Unusually Stunning Music

test1389 - Jan 2, 2010

14 by brockolee »»
May 9, 2017 12:12 AM

» Introductions

hartschaotica - Dec 4, 2011

4 by chitochito »»
Oct 15, 2016 6:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.