Forum Settings
Forums
New
raw or sub?
Aug 17, 2008 5:26 AM

Jul 2008
ok i am NOT asking if you watching raw or subs, it would be oblivious that most will watch subs.

I am interested, if people did learn from animes a bit, which one is better? subs, so i can at least try to understand what they are saying? or the more difficult one where you only can listen to what they are saying?
I would love to have fansub where they would sub in japanese^^, because watch anime raw is really difficult, and reading is a lot easier. for example i can get less than 10% what they are saying in a raw anime. but if i play a visual novel i understand 20%. at least in the novels i can nearly understand all jokes. But i think i can also comprehend the hole story, except difficult dialogues~~

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2008 6:07 AM

Apr 2008
I do understand a bit if I watch raw, but that would be because I watched a lot of anime with subs before.
So if I just started anime, and watched an anime without sub, I wouldn't understand a bit of it. But I still would choose to watch anime with subs. Also, I don't think I would have understood much if I read japanese subs.
Aug 17, 2008 6:45 AM

May 2007
I can easly understand raw if I read the manga before or watched it subbed.
Aug 17, 2008 6:52 AM

Aug 2008
Well I did learn a bit from animes but when I watched them with subs. I've tried to watch a few animes without subs and it was really hard to understand things. It's easier for me to learn from subs and I agree that it would be good that there are also Japanese subs which, I think, would make things a lot easier.
Aug 17, 2008 7:00 AM

Jun 2008
If i knew Japanese i will watch it in just raw but since i only understand a few words i watch in sub.
Aug 17, 2008 7:01 AM

Aug 2008
After watching more than 1,000 subs i haven't learned more than 10 japanese words.... Mabey i don't try to learn anything? >_>
Aug 17, 2008 8:14 AM

Apr 2008
subs- because I don't know Japanese.....yet.....
Aug 17, 2008 8:19 AM
May 2008
I can understand, what, less than 10% of the dialogue in a slice-of-life anime if I watch the raw. I learnt my very scattered and limited Japanese by watching lots of subs, then I sort of think "Hey, these two dialogues sound similar, and mean the same thing, so that word must mean ****". Basically your brain learns to associate certain words with certain dialogues (at least, for me), and for me, it's instinctive.
Aug 17, 2008 8:27 AM

Jul 2008
I voted raw - It's just logical. Learning from subs is like doing a test with the answers on the bottom of the page. Sure you might think you can remember it from looking between the question and the answer enough times, but you wont.

Sure, you need some background knowledge to get anywhere, but even without it, in a no-pressure situation of watching anime, "being thrown into the deep end" is the best way to learn. If you are forced to have to listen carefully and remember in order to enjoy the show, you will end up putting a lot more effort into it. It's harder, but it's the only way to do it if you're dead set on learning from anime.
Aug 17, 2008 8:47 AM

Nov 2007
If you intend to study the language by listening to it, then listen to it raw. Subs are distracting, not to mention if using fansubs, some groups take quite a... liberal approach to translation and you'll end up learning nonsense -- Doremi are infamous for this, for currently active 'larger' groups. They take the liberty to put in more widely known pop culture references instead of using literal translations for Japanese quotes, sayings, proverbs etc, for a start. But I don't hold anything against them for it, in general I like their subs, but as a purist (and Japanese speaker) it can get kind of annoying, and I'd warn most people wanting to use anime as a learning resource to avoid their work.
Aug 17, 2008 8:50 AM

Apr 2008
It is hard to learn from RAW anime because, even if you make words out, you still don't know what it means. I'll go with subs.
Aug 17, 2008 8:54 AM

Nov 2007
KidoMaster said:
It is hard to learn from RAW anime because, even if you make words out, you still don't know what it means. I'll go with subs.

You can't learn Japanese from anime, no matter how much weaboos want to think they can. It's impossible, period. It can be used as a study aide, but it's certainly not something that can be used as a sole resource.

So as an aide, anime can be great. But only if you're studying seriously and can find the usefulness in the medium beyond mere entertainment.
Aug 17, 2008 9:18 AM

Aug 2007
Hard subs ruin the video. For purposes other than watching, I'd pick raw. If I wanted to watch the anime I'd either get the dub or soft subs.
Aug 17, 2008 10:10 AM

Jun 2008
Well, you're not a baby anymore, you have a language of your own, so raw won't work, learn trough subs (but make sure you get good subs)
Or
Take a Japanese course like I'm going to do ^^
Aug 17, 2008 10:28 AM
Aug 2008
Subs but if not availible i go to raws. i understand enough japanese to know what they are saying.
Aug 17, 2008 11:28 AM

May 2008
If English subs are not available, I will watch it in Japanese dub without subs or "RAW".
Because with my limited knowledge of Japanese, subs are still helpful.

It goes in this order:
Japanese dubs with English subs("SUBS")
Japanese dub without English subs("RAWS")
English dubs("DUBS")

If only English dub is available, I'm very likely not to watch it at all.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 17, 2008 11:50 AM

Jul 2008
its not so that i am not studying already^^, but only half a year though.~~ so i have to learn a lot and want to improve my listening comprehension. and i dont expect that animes will help me so much that i can fly to japan and understand what these guys ^^ are saying after 1-2 episode :3.
i already watch much more raw episodes compared to the past, but the problem is when you cant understand it i cant enjoy them as much as i want~~. but i think this is the price i have to pay if i want to learn japanese^^.
Of course i can download them again with subs, but i dont like to download things twice~~

Aug 17, 2008 12:13 PM

Jul 2008
I'd say the ideal is with Japanese subs, but those are rare (I hear that even if you're getting Japanese DVDs most of the subs are not exact transcriptions).

So failing that, raw. Because you kind of need to develop a mindset for the language, and you can't if you're reading in English all the time.

And I agree, you can't learn everything from anime, but you should try to make as much of your study as possible input... that is, Japanese TV shows and comics, books, newspapers, etc. You'll be surprised how much you can pick up in say six months of several hours of listening per day.

HOWEVER. Make sure it's interesting, even without understanding very well (you may end up watching different sorts of things than you would subtitled) and don't feel you have to push through if it's not. Try something else in that case. Some things will be fun even if you only get 10% and others will be boring no matter how much you understand.

Honestly, it's easier if you do it soon, because you won't feel like you should already know a lot, the way you would if you'd been studying for years.
Aug 17, 2008 12:41 PM

Jul 2008
subs.

Aug 17, 2008 12:43 PM

Aug 2008
Genix said:
After watching more than 1,000 subs i haven't learned more than 10 japanese words.... Mabey i don't try to learn anything? >_>

Same here. I only know a few words.
Aug 17, 2008 12:56 PM

Sep 2007
Well if i could understand Japanese I would not use the subtitles, they would just interfere.. I mean, when watching shows in English I do not use subtitles.
Aug 17, 2008 1:43 PM

May 2006
-iZero- said:
Genix said:

Same here. I only know a few words.

It's not that you don't try. You're just being honest. As Asako said, you can't learn Japanese from watching anime. You may get a couple of words/phrases, but the grasp of the language structure is probably not there.

People who claim to have learned Japanese just from watching anime, or that they understand what they are saying (in which case understanding what's going on falls under the same roof) when watching raws, yet haven't taken any active part in trying to learn it properly (either by taking a course, or self-study) are just bluffing themselves imho.

From my personal experience, I've been watching anime for about 3 years now, mostly with Japanese audio and English subtitles, and when I turn them off I still have no clue, other than a couple of words, which in the end mean nothing since I don't know the others around them and their conjunctions.

"I'll go crazy by the end of the year" - K Fu's comment while doing Proofs and Number Theory in Advanced Higher Maths
Aug 17, 2008 2:26 PM

May 2008
Oh you do learn quite a bit of Japanese by watching it in Japanese.
It's just not enough to learn from that alone. It's not interactive enough.

I remember when going through Japanese learning stuff and seeing some thing I went "Woah, I had seen that in so many anime times, of course, I already knew this, duh!"

It hammers it into your head even if you don't notice it. So it is beneficial to learning, it's just not enough alone. I mean, it's not like hearing all that Japanese language doesn't go anywhere.

Aug 17, 2008 5:02 PM

Jul 2007
sub, because I can actually understand : P
Aug 17, 2008 5:50 PM

May 2008
The problem with subs is they're just too loose to be as useful to anyone interesting in learning Japanese.

For instance, I was just now watching Asatte no Houkou episode 5 and when she said "iidesu iidesu" which is basically "it's good, it's good" or better figuratively translated "that's fine that's fine" or "that's ok, that's ok" was instead subbed as "Oh, I'll do that".

They took a step further with and gave you the intended meaning instead of just the literal mean. There are times that that will confuse a person trying to learn Japanese through subs, when it's not such obvious Japanese as that.

There should be a such thing as a learning Japanese sub, where they cram as much into the subs as they possibly can to teach you what they're saying. About the closest thing I've seen to this, is when they have little explanations at the top of the screen or so, further explaining the word or whatever that has been going on. Which is still not complete, but still, it's sure better than nothing. You can't expect them for a learning sub when people just want to watch easily.

But still, someone should make an alt-sub for learning. It would be worth pausing all the time. I would download it.

Aug 17, 2008 6:30 PM

Apr 2008
if i was Japanese i would still watch subs because sometimes the anime people talks really fast and you sort of miss a sentence here and their soo subs is the best
Aug 18, 2008 5:24 AM

Nov 2007
birdjet said:
if i was Japanese i would still watch subs because sometimes the anime people talks really fast and you sort of miss a sentence here and their soo subs is the best

You think anime people talk fast? Most of it is very clear direct audio. Watch natural conversations between real Japanese people and it's totally different. Really. Honestly. Japanese people don't even know what each other are saying half of the time. That's why they constantly question what other people are saying, and reconfirm things, to make sure they really get what's being said. That's part of why anime is useless for learning Japanese as a sole resource. Sure you may learn some phrases and common greetings and stuff, but it's still going to be 100% useless to you if you actually go to Japan, or want to converse with a native speaker.

Way too many people fool themselves thinking they can understand more than they can. Context is a big part of it in anime too. You have stuff on screen highlighting events; listen to audio dramas, and transcribe them, then I'll believe you know Japanese.
Aug 18, 2008 5:47 AM

Aug 2008
Subs all the way. If English sub arent avaliable then I'll watch it in dubbed version.

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Aug 18, 2008 7:31 AM

Jul 2008
Asako said:

You think anime people talk fast? Most of it is very clear direct audio. Watch natural conversations between real Japanese people and it's totally different.

i dont have this much contact with real japanese but its really true.^^
i think through the speed they can see if someone is real japanese or not.^^
thats its the reason why they always recognize me as a chinese><

Aug 18, 2008 8:06 AM

Apr 2008
If I can understand Japanese, I'll go with raws, but right now I prefer subs.

Aug 18, 2008 9:57 AM

Aug 2008
If I knew all the words in japanese, I wouldn't have subs... yet, I don't so, subs.
Aug 18, 2008 10:25 AM

Dec 2007
I like both, sub & raw :D
Aug 18, 2008 12:20 PM

Jul 2008
82.86% of the people that have replied/voted in this thread (so far) have missed the point. It's not about which you preffer, it's about which is better for learning.. Jeez.. Or should I say "Helping" you learn.
Aug 18, 2008 12:58 PM

May 2007
watching a RAW definitely tests you much better and you avoid distracting 'answers'. So raws would be great if you were learning japanese on the side / in school and wanted to brush up on it / test yourself, but otherwise it would be completely useless. How could you learn if you had no prior experience? Unlike live dramas and such, anime is limited in terms of facial expression / body language, so you wouldn't pick much up.

So really, raws are only helpful if you have some Japanese knowledge already, say from years of watching subs or self-study / classes.

For someone who's new to japanese, subs will accelerate learning by allowing the viewer to pick up on common phrases and nouns. Once a person reaches this level of knowledge, raws can be useful to help in understanding sentence structure and more difficult aspects of the language since you won't be focused on the subs.
Aug 18, 2008 10:53 PM

Apr 2008
Asako said:
birdjet said:

You think anime people talk fast? Most of it is very clear direct audio. Watch natural conversations between real Japanese people and it's totally different. Really. Honestly. Japanese people don't even know what each other are saying half of the time. That's why they constantly question what other people are saying, and reconfirm things, to make sure they really get what's being said. That's part of why anime is useless for learning Japanese as a sole resource. Sure you may learn some phrases and common greetings and stuff, but it's still going to be 100% useless to you if you actually go to Japan, or want to converse with a native speaker.

Way too many people fool themselves thinking they can understand more than they can. Context is a big part of it in anime too. You have stuff on screen highlighting events; listen to audio dramas, and transcribe them, then I'll believe you know Japanese.

well yea its kind of fast (maybe because i just start learning japanese) but sometimes i have to rewind the anime to listen to it again ... oh yea i'm chinese and one thing i don't get is that some of the word in chinese is the same as japanses *symbols* why is that can someone answer this?
Aug 19, 2008 7:44 AM

Aug 2007
sub i guess
at least until i master japanese
Aug 19, 2008 8:03 AM

Nov 2007
Rethice said:
82.86% of the people that have replied/voted in this thread (so far) have missed the point. It's not about which you preffer, it's about which is better for learning.. Jeez.. Or should I say "Helping" you learn.

Funny that, isn't it. There's already a thread of sub vs. dub (or raw) for which you prefer to watch, this thread was about whether raws or subs are more beneficial to learning... and most people replying haven't paid any heed to that at all. The kind who never learn, I suppose. ^^;
Aug 20, 2008 2:01 PM

Aug 2008
sub its much easier obviously

Aug 20, 2008 2:47 PM

Aug 2008
I prefer subs, cause I'm not very good with japanese -.-
Sep 7, 2008 4:13 AM

Aug 2008
subbed

Sep 7, 2008 7:07 AM

Jan 2008
Hehe subs ^.^'
Sep 7, 2008 7:54 AM

Aug 2008
sub ofcourse
Sep 7, 2008 1:10 PM

Jan 2008
I prefer dubs over both, but between the 2 I only it's sub.
Sep 30, 2008 3:05 AM

Jul 2008
I would go with subs.

Sep 30, 2008 4:44 AM

Sep 2008
Ryder said:
I can easly understand raw if I read the manga before or watched it subbed.

Thats how it is for me too. Otherwise I dont know much of any language but my own so thank god for subs.
Sep 30, 2008 4:51 AM

Jul 2007
Definitely sub.

I'm not smart enough to understand Japanese. <_>
Sep 30, 2008 5:06 AM

Aug 2008
I want to learn Japanese but for the present I have to stick to subs ;]
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 30, 2008 5:09 AM

Jul 2008
I can't understand Japanese so I prefer subs.
Oct 1, 2008 3:15 AM

May 2008
If I could understand Japanese: raw. Until then, its subs.
Oct 1, 2008 4:10 PM

Jul 2008
Well now, i'd love to say raw, but considering i know as much Japanese as a slice of ham. So i'm gonna go with subs.

-Love is but a binding without the shackles-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

26 by FanofAction »»
8 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

15 by NubFix »»
8 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

33 by -YaoiBoy- »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

70 by Merve2Love »»
11 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

4 by SaiteiDaOrette »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.