Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 24, 2023 6:00 PM

Apr 2022
Reply to Neemesis_2
how can zeta gundam be considered the best gundam anime?
it was painful, i'm glad it's over.
this was for me the worst gundam serie i have seen, dreadfully written characters, inconsistent story and so much nonsensical and childish dialogues.
0079 is way better even if it is simplier
Overall a 4/10, and i'm being way too kind
@Neemesis_2 My man 🤝

I felt the exact same way. It started okay but this has to be one of the most dull and incoherent shows I've seen in a while, yet everyone sings its praises for some reason. Glad to see someone else agrees.
Sep 25, 2023 2:52 AM

Jul 2017
Reply to Tekketsu_01
@Neemesis_2 My man 🤝

I felt the exact same way. It started okay but this has to be one of the most dull and incoherent shows I've seen in a while, yet everyone sings its praises for some reason. Glad to see someone else agrees.
@Tekketsu_01 people really are blinded by nostalgia, in fact i liked way more ZZ than zeta watching them now for the first time
''Touch the darkness inside me''
Oct 28, 2023 10:22 AM
Oct 2023
I am conflicted. I really enjoyed Zeta for the first half/two-thirds. I enjoyed the perspective flip, i enjoyed seeing a new side of Casval, i even enjoyed Kamille. If it had continued on that track, id have given this show an 8/10, the first Gundam ive seen better than the original thus far. Buts thats not what happened, isnt it? The last stretch of the show was such a slog to get through that i lowered the overall rating to 7.But were not done yet. Because of our dear friend Reccoa, the worst character in all of Gundam, i have to dock the show an extra 3 points.

1 for having a plotline as impossibly stupid as Reccoas in it at all.

1 for having that impossibly stupid plotline be actually majorly plot-relevant, so you cant even ignore it.

And a final one because they made that already impossibly stupid plotline several magnitudes stupider by having her gass millions of innocent men, women and children to death.

And apparently Victory Gundam does even worse with its female characters? I genuinely have trouble believing that, but well cross that bridge when we get to it.

Great start, entertaining but gradually worsening middle, terrible final stretch.

Kamille was a great protagonist and im looking forward to his development in ZZ, even though hell probably not be the MC again. Emma was a great character, but im glad she died before Tomino had a chance to ruin her. Reccoa ruined this series.

4/10

Onward to ZZ!
Nov 23, 2023 7:56 PM
Apr 2021
fuck i loved this show. it got off to a really weird start, but i got so into it later. the origin manga was my introduction to gundam, and i was sort of worried that the 80s gundam shows would be silly or weird in comparison, but this was so fire. it was definitely silly in a lot of ways at first, and i have qualms with the way it sort of bashed you over the head with the similarities between the argama and white base, for example, but overall this was an amazing continuation to the story of gundam. i got spoiled for the ending, but damn did it still hit, and, like most of this show, took a bit to sink in. also, wow, this brand of bleak, ethereal 80s synthy mecha is something i can't get enough of. this may well be peak classic mecha, honestly.
Yes_thatNov 24, 2023 6:15 PM
Dec 22, 2023 2:12 PM

May 2023
First, let me get this out of the way: Emma, you will be missed. Her death saddened me the most. She and Four were the best girls in the show - and, sadly, we lost both of them.

I've got to hand it to the show's creator: he chose a truly unconventional way to end the series. No happy ending, no narrator providing explanations, no words of consolation, everything appears broken (physically or mentally). I can only guess how it'd feel if I was living back in '85 and watched this series when it was broadcasted! Now, we can jump right into ZZ and watch the continuity. But then? So, it's really something to end a series like this!

Now, as an overall impression... I think Gundam Zeta reached its peak somewhere during the middle. The episodes that focused mostly on earth, where we saw Amuro and there was Four and everything seemed to progress smoothly. Up until then, it was awesome and an improvement over the 079 series in almost every aspect.

But the last part of the series was clearly inferior... Although Haman and Scirocco were worthy adversaries, the whole political agenda surrounding them was presented in a rushed way - and by the end, watching AEUG and Axis fighting one another almost made no sense. And how about those characters?... I've already written a lot about what I consider the show's biggest flaw: its characterization. Characters like Reccoa almost made no sense - perhaps they would make sense if they were better written and they were given backstories - but we didn't get any. Scirocco felt as "A-level villain" material, but, by the end, without getting any backstory on him, he, too, feels more like a stereotype. Characters like Jer(k)id? At first I thought we could see some kind of "progress" in him - but no. He was just an evil dude, basically a jerk, nothing more. Four or Rosammy? They could be potentially great characters - IF we had a chance to delve a little deeper in them.

That's how I felt about the second half of the series: a big "what if" potential that was lost.

Instead we got amazing action and one of the most unconventional endings I've ever seen, in any anime. Was it better than the first series? I'm not sure. I say yes, but not by far. To me, if the first series deserves a 7, this is an 8 out of 10: really enjoyable, but with some flaws that dragged it down. It's mostly the almost excellent first half, thirty episodes or so, that earns that 8, on my part. Can't hide I've got an urge to go on with ZZ right now - but there are many other anime on my watch list and, to tell you the truth, I'm a bit discouraged by ZZ's lower reputation. I'll probably watch it to make my own mind, sometime - but probably not right now.

By the way: whenever there was an attempt at romance, during this series, I thought of Macross (which I completed some months ago) and thought to myself: "Macross did romance and characterization better". As for the political stuff? Well, as I write these lines, I've already watched the first 15 episodes of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes - and all I say, now, is: now that's how you make a political space drama!

Still: Gundam is legendary for a reason. The action was superb and some of the characters have become personal favourites of mine (I still can't wait to see Sayla once again). And up until the middle, I thought Zeta Gundam was one of the best anime shows of the 80's. Perhaps it still is. This, alone, is no small feat.

Lethal_RabbitDec 22, 2023 2:32 PM
Dec 22, 2023 2:36 PM
Dec 2012
Reply to Lethal_Rabbit
First, let me get this out of the way: Emma, you will be missed. Her death saddened me the most. She and Four were the best girls in the show - and, sadly, we lost both of them.

I've got to hand it to the show's creator: he chose a truly unconventional way to end the series. No happy ending, no narrator providing explanations, no words of consolation, everything appears broken (physically or mentally). I can only guess how it'd feel if I was living back in '85 and watched this series when it was broadcasted! Now, we can jump right into ZZ and watch the continuity. But then? So, it's really something to end a series like this!

Now, as an overall impression... I think Gundam Zeta reached its peak somewhere during the middle. The episodes that focused mostly on earth, where we saw Amuro and there was Four and everything seemed to progress smoothly. Up until then, it was awesome and an improvement over the 079 series in almost every aspect.

But the last part of the series was clearly inferior... Although Haman and Scirocco were worthy adversaries, the whole political agenda surrounding them was presented in a rushed way - and by the end, watching AEUG and Axis fighting one another almost made no sense. And how about those characters?... I've already written a lot about what I consider the show's biggest flaw: its characterization. Characters like Reccoa almost made no sense - perhaps they would make sense if they were better written and they were given backstories - but we didn't get any. Scirocco felt as "A-level villain" material, but, by the end, without getting any backstory on him, he, too, feels more like a stereotype. Characters like Jer(k)id? At first I thought we could see some kind of "progress" in him - but no. He was just an evil dude, basically a jerk, nothing more. Four or Rosammy? They could be potentially great characters - IF we had a chance to delve a little deeper in them.

That's how I felt about the second half of the series: a big "what if" potential that was lost.

Instead we got amazing action and one of the most unconventional endings I've ever seen, in any anime. Was it better than the first series? I'm not sure. I say yes, but not by far. To me, if the first series deserves a 7, this is an 8 out of 10: really enjoyable, but with some flaws that dragged it down. It's mostly the almost excellent first half, thirty episodes or so, that earns that 8, on my part. Can't hide I've got an urge to go on with ZZ right now - but there are many other anime on my watch list and, to tell you the truth, I'm a bit discouraged by ZZ's lower reputation. I'll probably watch it to make my own mind, sometime - but probably not right now.

By the way: whenever there was an attempt at romance, during this series, I thought of Macross (which I completed some months ago) and thought to myself: "Macross did romance and characterization better". As for the political stuff? Well, as I write these lines, I've already watched the first 15 episodes of The Legend of the Galactic Heroes - and all I say, now, is: now that's how you make a political space drama!

Still: Gundam is legendary for a reason. The action was superb and some of the characters have become personal favourites of mine (I still can't wait to see Sayla once again). And up until the middle, I thought Zeta Gundam was one of the best anime shows of the 80's. Perhaps it still is. This, alone, is no small feat.

Lethal_Rabbit said:
I can only guess how it'd feel if I was living back in '85 and watched this series when it was broadcasted! Now, we can jump right into ZZ and watch the continuity. But then? So, it's really something to end a series like this!
FWIW ZZ started airing the week after Zeta finished.
Dec 22, 2023 2:49 PM

May 2023
Reply to Raxivace
Lethal_Rabbit said:
I can only guess how it'd feel if I was living back in '85 and watched this series when it was broadcasted! Now, we can jump right into ZZ and watch the continuity. But then? So, it's really something to end a series like this!
FWIW ZZ started airing the week after Zeta finished.
@Raxivace Really? Well, that takes away some weight of my point then... It remains a hugely unconventional ending, of course - but it's surely different for a viewer to jump right into a new series after such a short while.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 6, 2008

92 by ChiisuNoYo »»
Apr 15, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 37 Discussion

Beatnik - Jul 4, 2008

41 by p13gu »»
Mar 26, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 9, 2008

73 by Dane-se »»
Feb 7, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 47 Discussion

Veethorn - Oct 20, 2009

44 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Jan 25, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 27 Discussion

MrHatandClogs - May 27, 2009

38 by Shrimp_Tail »»
Jan 21, 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.