Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 18, 2011 6:44 PM

Mar 2009
not me, just someone in general that doesn't watch but is curious. what show would you recommend to hook them?

on the side...could people that have watched Tatami Galaxy, tell me their opinion on it (without spoilers)? just want to know a bit more about it.
Jun 18, 2011 6:50 PM

Dec 2010
Depends on age.
Generally something like the space western trio (Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star) should be good.
Baccano, Samurai Champloo, and other westernized anime seem good too.
And of course you can't go wrong with Ghibli.

Tatami Galaxy is great. The MC is likable and relatable, the interactions and dialogue is fantastic, and plenty of introspection and "wtf is going on" to keep the mystery going.
Jun 18, 2011 7:12 PM
Mar 2011
Bouken Shounen Shadar
Kochi kame
Hare Tokidoki Buta
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 18, 2011 7:40 PM

Feb 2005
Really, there is no such thing as a "good newbie anime". It's all clearly relative to that person's taste. No sense giving him Clannad AS if he only likes action movies is there?
But knowing the general tastes beforehand, I'd just recommend whichever is the best I've seen from the corresponding genres.

As for Tatami Galaxy, it was alright, a bit repetitive and it takes a while before anything substantial happens, even though you can see the apparent end very clearly from the start.
But it's still entertaining, so why not.
Jun 18, 2011 9:18 PM

Apr 2009
What Baman said- it really does depend on the person's tastes. My friend tried to start me off on Magical Girls and harems. I don't like those. I watched Baccano! and fell in love.

Also- Tatami Galaxy is great. I love the dialogue, and I love seeing how all his choices end up. It seems repetitive, but you can see little things connecting all the episodes together. And the last two or three episodes were great payoff. It has fun with itself, and I like that about a show!
Jun 18, 2011 9:31 PM

Jul 2010
Clannad, kanon 2006, Angel beats, Blood+, Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Suzuka, Ichigo 100% and To Love-Ru.

......... Maybe I'm too into the romance genre >_>

IT'S NOT MY FAULT!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2011 9:33 PM
May 2011
cowboy bebop
rahXephon if your recomending it to people that enjoy deeper stories
samurai champloo for any wigger freinds
black lagoon the gateway drug into anime
and for movies somthing bad ass like sword of the stranger
Jun 18, 2011 9:34 PM
May 2011
gregory003 said:
Clannad, kanon 2006, Angel beats, Blood+, Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Suzuka, Ichigo 100% and To Love-Ru.

......... Maybe I'm too into the romance genre >_>

IT'S NOT MY FAULT!
its ok accoridng to my thread about guilty pleasures every single anime fan likes romance,

also yah clannads a good starter, no fanservice, very deep, devleoped, and easy to get into.
Jun 18, 2011 10:13 PM

Mar 2009
Baman and Sweetpea have it right. Find out what kind of movies, tv shows, and books they like. There is bound to be an anime counterpart. Once you know that and still can't decide we'll be better able to help you.

Sorry, have yet to see Tatami Galaxy.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jun 18, 2011 10:18 PM

Mar 2009
thanks to everyone that answered!
and i'll def check out Tatami Galaxy now :)
Jun 18, 2011 11:58 PM

Mar 2008
I'd keep things relatively light-hearted and go with stuff like

FLCL; as it is short, has numerous western references, and is universally met with the "lolwtf?" reaction. A lot of anime has strictly Japanese/eastern style inside jokes which could turn off people new to anime, FLCL doesn't have that problem.

Cowboy Bebop; as it has depth, action, excellent characters/story/soundtrack and a SOLID dub(if that is what you are into). Again, shouldn't have any problems with cultural distancing or etc.

I'd also throw in one of the more popular Shōnen series, like Soul Eater and/or Bleach....just because I think it tends to be a good gateway anime, in that it gets you interested enough to want more than just action from an anime. (Most everyone I've ever met that is into anime, had their proverbial cherry popped by a Shōnen of some kind. DBZ/Naruto/Bleach/etc)

And just for good measure.....I'd probably throw something like School Rumble or Gintama in as well...as they don't take themselves serious much (if ever), and it is hard for me to imagine people really disliking them.
Jun 19, 2011 12:30 AM

Jul 2010
Sure wish my first anime had been Hunter x Hunter.
Jun 19, 2011 2:36 PM

Sep 2009
Death Note is pretty newbie friendly.
Jun 19, 2011 3:44 PM

Mar 2009
It all still depends on their age, level of sophistication, open-mindedness, and personal interests . . . which has yet to be indicated. If their interests are similar to yours, pick something you'd like to watch again.
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Jun 19, 2011 3:50 PM

Dec 2008
In my personal experience, most people will really like Death Note, even those who don't watch further into anime after that.
Jun 19, 2011 3:53 PM

May 2009
Bible Black.
Jun 19, 2011 5:41 PM
Mar 2011
recons by genre

Romance[ with no moe or ecchi
Mansion Ikkoku
Hana Yori Dango
Ai Yori Aoshi
Ai
Aishiteruze Baby
Boku ga ima ko Suru
Candy Candy
Maremite
Kanazuki no miko
Glass Mask[84]
Hakujaden
Kiss wa Hitomi ni Shite
X

Action
Saint Seiya
big x
Jibaku kun
genshi Shonen ryu

Sci fi

Eva
GG 999
Harlock
Crusher joe

Genreal [ ie ones i think are beyond the aera of true gen re classing]

Maruko Chan
Doraemon
Kochi Kame
Hoka Hoka Kozaku
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 19, 2011 6:15 PM

Jun 2011
What You like to watch depends on genre of your choice....
like action/romance/ecchi/comedy/shounen/shoujo/magic/supernatural/magic/school/slice of life/mecha thats all i can think of right now.....

Jun 19, 2011 8:58 PM

Jun 2010
i started off with a strange start i mean just look at the first 2 anime i've ever watched:

1. Shuffle!
2. School Days
3. Bleach
4. Sora no Woto
5. K-ON!

...before even deciding what anime to get your friend to start watching you have to find out what genres they would like...of course even that is not something that will always be right. Like for me i really dislike romance and slice-of-life movies and t.v. shows but in anime i just love the slice-of-life genre. Just tell them your fave of each genre and let them pick for themselves

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

25 by Rorertiy »»
15 minutes ago

» Anime that shows brother and sister bathing together?

Gfralp - 1 hour ago

2 by nishant0 »»
24 minutes ago

» Anime/Manga that revolves around Rain Theem

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

4 by JoeChip »»
36 minutes ago

» Pls recommend manga with awesome art-style and story, not restricted to any genre. Any hidden gems. I really liked dorohedoro, summer time renderer, koe no katachi, nana to kaoru, donten prism solar car and eye shield 21, to name a few.

Losvayne - Yesterday

12 by SleepingBear »»
6 hours ago

» What are your thought on Ecchi anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

7 by Zarutaku »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.