Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 7, 2010 9:07 AM

Jun 2007
When was the last time you watched an anime where the villain made you want to see them die in a brutal manner but, at the same time, they had an aura that made you excited when they encountered the goodies? You know what I'm typing about: that thin divide between love & hate where your feelings for a baddie change every time they say or do something nasty that's strangely satisfying.

The most recent that comes to my mind is Marcus Octavius from Highlander. His verbal put-downs as the lead tried to kill him over the course of 2,000 years were legendary because of how his voice actor said "Bar...barian!" and listed his accomplishments compared to his eternal nemesis. How can I NOT love a villain who happily reveals his chest and says lines like, "Well, you'd get an 'A' for effort!" after the lead landed on the wing of his plane, following his own being shot down.

Just look at his expression to see the arrogant confidence that exudes from him:

Prior to good ol' Marcus, the only character that immediately springs to mind is the immortal rapist from Basilisk, Tenzen. He has reverse devil horns for hair, attempts to rape (three rape attempts, in all) a blind girl whilst talking dirty, and WILL NOT FUCKING DIE. Thanks in no small part to his English voice actor and lack of any attempt to humanize him as he killed/failed with rape attempts in his search for power, he quickly became my reason to enjoy watching Basilisk as much as I did.

Seriously, just look at the evilness displayed by his face alone:

Very rarely do truly great villains get created. That pretty boy Reiishin/Itachi clone from Kurokami? Pfffft.
AironicallyHumanDec 7, 2010 9:12 AM
Dec 7, 2010 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
Suitengu from SPEED GRAPHER = he's brutal, ruthless, a perfect villain, yet hes sophisticated, well-spoken, and driven by a cause you can kinda root for. It was very very hard to hate him, especially towards the end.

L from Death Note = not really a "villain", but he was the adversary and rival. He is the definition of someone you have to "hate" but actually really love watching :D.

School days=...uhh i loved everyone, but actually hated them all at the same time :D
Dec 7, 2010 1:48 PM

Feb 2005
I assume I won't need to warn about spoilers. But I'll do it just in case.

Griffith/Femto from Berserk.

The best part of him is that you can't view him as just a villain. He always followed his same goal and swore to reach it no matter what. Already before the Eclipse, he was climbing a mountain of corpses, and realized that shying away from the demonic pact in favour for his companions would render all the past sacrifices worthless.
And after that, he's a smug, charismatic bastard that gets everyone to genuflect and pretty much becomes the savior to everyone

Helmut Lecoque from Taiyou no Kiba Dagram.

Okay, so I still have a couple of episodes left of Dagram, but this old bastard has already performed so splendidly I doubt anything that happens in the coming episodes would lessen his role.
It's pretty clear from the start that he's going to be of the snaky, scheming politician kind, and boy does he play his role great. The way he takes the reins when Denon goes into a coma is made all the better with his realistic performance. While your average scheming bastard would usually gloat about their victory at the first moment, Lecoque is actually caught off guard when Denon awakens from his coma and demands to know the status of the affairs. I could also sympathized with him, he was always working hard and wanted to be acknowledged for it rather than being a mere secretary.

And finally, Akio Othori from Revolutionary Girl Utena.

There's not really much I can say about him other than how much of a ridiculous bastard he is. Certainly the best charming snake type I've seen in anime.
Dec 7, 2010 2:54 PM

Sep 2010
I tend to not really like shows where there is a clear villan so I can only provide those three:

Vanilla from Kaiba

I don’t really know why I liked him. I just did. Despite his all in all bastard behavior I always had some kind of sympathy with him.

Koemushi from Bokurano

He was just wonderfully unlikable and when you thought the situation couldn’t get much worse for those children he managed to say something that did make things it worse.

Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter

My favorite shonen villan I guess. He always had this evil and dangerous aura around him but his character never seemed over the top. And everything while smiling…
Dec 7, 2010 3:10 PM

Nov 2010
The Xia Twins from Full Metal Panic TSR
Yu Fan Xia

Yu Lan Xia

They are just too badass for me to hate them.
Dec 7, 2010 3:25 PM

May 2010
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Dec 7, 2010 9:09 PM

Oct 2009
Confucius said:

Definately.

" ... carpenters fashion wood; wise people fashion themselves" - Buddhism
Dec 8, 2010 11:07 AM
Jul 2018
Non spoilers

Johan Liebert (Monster)

Light/Raito (Death Note)

Ladd Russo & Clare Stanfield + many others (Baccano!)

Izaya (Durarara!!)

Jeremiah/Orange-Kun (Code Geass)

Scar (Full Metal Alchemist)

The Spiral King (Tengen Gurren Lagaan)

Iraki Gendo (Neon Genesis Evangelion)

Spoilers

Higurashi -

Princess Tutu -
removed-userDec 8, 2010 11:32 AM
Dec 8, 2010 1:21 PM
Mar 2009
AironicallyHuman said:
When was the last time you watched an anime where the villain made you want to see them die in a brutal manner but, at the same time, they had an aura that made you excited when they encountered the goodies? You know what I'm typing about: that thin divide between love & hate where your feelings for a baddie change every time they say or do something nasty that's strangely satisfying.

The majority of the villains listed here are ones I wanted to succeed or at least survive. I wished for them no harm nor for them to fail in whatever immoral or earth-shattering events they planned or participated in. I had only love for 'em.

So far, from who has been mentioned, the exceptions are Tenzen Yakushiji from Basilisk and Dung Beetle "Koemushi" from Bokurano (from my perspective he wasn't a villain, though). Both of which my liking too was equally met of the hope of their demise.

There is one that still makes me cringe just thinking of the gap between the love and hate I had which wasn't so thin. The distance was sickening to my stomach as if I was falling from a great height.

Even though it was a single moment, I'd find myself... appreciating them once more.
Gungrave
Dec 8, 2010 6:55 PM

Jun 2007
I remember Dung Beetle; the floating nasty... 'person' with sadistic tendencies. Arm removal was easy for him. I never viewed him to be evil though, and in the end it turned out he was really more of a victim.

Wence said:
Gungrave

Episode 14 is my favourite Gungrave episodes, and one of my favourites in general. Even though it was made crystal clear it would happen thanks to the crappy opening episode, it still hit me HARD after all those episodes of The Godfather-esque 'rise up the ladder' character development. 'Here Comes the Rain' is a song I came to like, after that episode.

I've never viewed Harry to be a villain, just like I've never viewed Michael Corleone to be one. Just like The Godfather was about Michael's rise to power and how it corrupted his soul, the same is true of Harry in Gungrave. The only key difference is that, to begin with, Harry was a very human, easy to relate to and like character. He started out as passionate about his friends, as well as showing off his intelligence, but somewhere along the way he left his good qualities behind.

The way the series ended, with the two friends together once more, made it clear to me that there was never any intention of making one character good and the other evil, and credit has to go to the writer(s) for that. My feelings for Harry were no doubt assisted by Brandon lacking much of a presence and not saying an awful lot, but the scene that occurred shortly after 'IT' - where Harry lost it with some random guy - highlighted that he never truly lost his humanity.

Dec 8, 2010 8:04 PM

Jun 2010
i would say envy from fma
Anime/Manga Gives Heart To The World <3

http://www.youtube.com/user/lust4lyfe101
Dec 8, 2010 10:46 PM

May 2010
I've just finished Berserk and I have to second Baman...

Griffith is, by far, the most admirable antagonist I've ever seen. His intentions are made clear from the start: He has a dream and won't let anything get in his way in achieving it. Despite this, his comrades are drawn to him by sheer force of his charisma. He has no sense of morals and will use any means necessary to get what he wants... and still I ended up rooting for him.
Dec 8, 2010 11:44 PM

Aug 2008
Itachi

I will live on no matter what... so I can meet you once again.
Dec 9, 2010 9:01 AM

Jun 2007
Baman said:
Griffith/Femto from Berserk.

The best part of him is that you can't view him as just a villain. He always followed his same goal and swore to reach it no matter what. Already before the Eclipse, he was climbing a mountain of corpses, and realized that shying away from the demonic pact in favour for his companions would render all the past sacrifices worthless.
And after that, he's a smug, charismatic bastard that gets everyone to genuflect and pretty much becomes the savior to everyone

In the book of Aion, Birdman is very much a villain, as well as a cunt.

If the only motivational factor behind his betrayal was him staying true to his desire of becoming a king, then you could say he never betrayed anyone - he only continued walking down the same path, if that was the case. But that's not how it went down.

Dec 9, 2010 1:13 PM

Feb 2005
AironicallyHuman said:
You could probably say that, but I can't see that as enough to mark him out as "bad". He might have felt anger by being surpassed, but his desire to climb to the top seemed more deeply rooted than that, like some sort of pure desire to manifest an ideal. As for the rape, he might have gotten more wicked after his transformation for all we know, it certainly does conflict with his previous pure but unyielding sense of purpose.
His subsequent crusade to unite the world or whatever he's up to with making the pope genuflect and kicking Ganishka sets him back on his old path though.
And in the end, we know nothing of his background and little of his motivation. He seems to want to make a kingdom for the outcasts, but without examining his actual personal history or values more, I can't just drop him in the "evil" camp yet.
Dec 9, 2010 4:41 PM

Apr 2008
GENERAL VAMP!

on a serious matter, Griffith is The Villain.

If you listen to fools, the Mob Rules!
Dec 11, 2010 5:36 AM

May 2010
Takasugi Shinsuke!
How can I hate him?? He is just tooo cool to be hated. Even if he was a total badass and he didnt have any good side I just cant hate him. He is an unique chara not like the other villains as Sasuke or Aizen. They suck :P.
for me Takasugi is the eviliset villain ever
Dec 11, 2010 8:04 AM

Oct 2008
I'd also like to hop on the Griffith bandwagon! I've seen Berserk countless times and even though I know where the story is headed, I still admire Griffith in those early episodes and slowly grow to detest him towards the end. He makes for an excellent villain!
Dec 11, 2010 8:43 AM

Nov 2010
Itachi
Light

And thats all I can think of right now :o
Dec 11, 2010 7:37 PM

May 2008
Yagami Light comes to mind, although it really is up to you whether or not you think he's a "villain" or an ally of justice.

More topics from this board

» Why there is no polyamory/non-monogamy in yaoi/yuri?

Sanjay63773 - 3 hours ago

10 by Paul »»
3 minutes ago

» What is the most memorable first episode of an anime you've watched?

mahrjose - Yesterday

30 by WaffleMaster89 »»
3 minutes ago

» Similar sounding Anime opening/ending songs

erikkamirs - May 3, 2020

12 by Eleben »»
20 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre?

decco6226 - 4 hours ago

8 by patalliro »»
33 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - May 1

45 by red-artist »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.