Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 12, 2010 7:11 PM

Jul 2007
You can watch it at Twitch here.

Seeing it at Twitch isalso my first hearing of it and based on the teaser alone, I'm excited!
<---made of awesome!
Nov 14, 2010 6:09 AM

May 2010
Quality is amazing. Do want
Nov 21, 2010 4:36 PM

Aug 2008
Awesomeness~ do want, art is magnificent~
Nov 30, 2010 2:16 PM
Aug 2010
This is so awesome XD as expected from our great Shinkai Makoto !!!
Dec 23, 2010 10:32 PM
Sep 2009
Looks like it's gonna be good. Probably won't see it till 2012 though... :/
Jan 16, 2011 2:53 PM

Jun 2008
I actually am not sure if I have hopes for this. Generally speaking, Makoto's works are brilliant in every aspect, but rendered nearly unwatchable due to the emotionless voice acting. The Place Promised in Our Early Days (best example), Voices of a Distant Star, and what little I was able to watch of 5cm per second all had this problem, which made it incredibly frustrating to watch. Admittedly, giving up on 5cm wasn't fair on my part, but I'd been watching his stuff all day and was sick to death of how bad the acting is. Makoto himself is a better actor than half the people who voice his movies.

Did anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? Anyway, I really hope that problem is absent in this, because it looks pretty damn good.
Jan 26, 2011 2:21 AM
Mar 2009
my issue with all of shinkai's work so far is that it all treads more or less the same thematic ground. granted i think he's pretty good at it (5cmps is one of my favorite anime movies ever just because it's relevant to my life in more ways than anything i have ever watched) but i would really like it if his storytelling could match his fantastic art. i do like though that from the trailer it looks like this movie will be more adventurous with its setting, it gives me hope that the plot will follow suit.
Jan 29, 2011 2:54 AM

Apr 2009
nilpotent said:
my issue with all of shinkai's work so far is that it all treads more or less the same thematic ground. granted i think he's pretty good at it (5cmps is one of my favorite anime movies ever just because it's relevant to my life in more ways than anything i have ever watched) but i would really like it if his storytelling could match his fantastic art.

I completely agree with you there, I'm getting tired of the childhood lovers time-distance separation thing but I will never be bored of the visuals especially the beautifully rendered background land/sky/starscapes! ♥♥♥

This one looks interesting. And I get to hear Tenmon's music again, yey! ♥♥♥
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 18, 2011 11:03 PM
Oct 2010
Grmo said:
I actually am not sure if I have hopes for this. Generally speaking, Makoto's works are brilliant in every aspect, but rendered nearly unwatchable due to the emotionless voice acting. The Place Promised in Our Early Days (best example), Voices of a Distant Star, and what little I was able to watch of 5cm per second all had this problem, which made it incredibly frustrating to watch. Admittedly, giving up on 5cm wasn't fair on my part, but I'd been watching his stuff all day and was sick to death of how bad the acting is. Makoto himself is a better actor than half the people who voice his movies.

Did anyone else have this problem, or is it just me? Anyway, I really hope that problem is absent in this, because it looks pretty damn good.

The (lack of) temperament in the voice acting in Shinkai's works seems to be a conscious choice, tailored to fit the melancholy and generally dry mood of the character. Does it really work? Some people like it, some don't. I, for one, feel relieved to see a work whose director does not seem to be behind the scenes screaming "Emote! Emoooote!" like an old lobster. On the other hand, the VAs do push it too far to the other side (for my taste) in all of Shinkai's works. I think the actors should strive harder to avoid all extremes, especially in works like Shinkai's that are supposedly reflective. The voice acting alone in 5cm per second, for example, makes the anime sound pretentious and somewhat unpleasant, as if it is not honestly trying to convey a story that takes a bitter route, but rather forces that route on every aspect of the work. Eh, I still liked the anime, but Shinkai would be well advised to pay more attention to the old saying: Pan Metron Ariston, everything in moderation.

As for the anime in question, I am more concerned with the storyline than the voice acting; I hope it will be more coherent than those of his other works (a tiny blemish in the otherwise marvelous Kumo no mukou) and far less forced on the characters (a major blemish in 5cm per second) .

In the end, Shinkai has a flashy kind of genius giving birth to ideas that can capture the fancy of a lot of people and touch them deeply. However, he seems to lack somewhat the capability to give a solid, coherent frame to these wild flights of the imagination; thus we get somewhat disjointed plotlines, temporal inconsistencies and odd behavioral patterns from the characters. I believe Shinkai needs to be surrounded by a strong staff with an equal presence and authority that can oppose him when he goes off on tangents where he should not. Perhaps I am wrong and his ideas simply are not meant to be contained by conventional forms. I do not know; what I do know is I will be waiting for the next movie with anticipation.
Mar 11, 2011 5:41 AM

Sep 2007

New trailer! */////* So beautiful, love it!
sakaMar 13, 2011 10:37 PM

Mar 17, 2011 12:11 PM

Jul 2009
Can't wait to see this movie. It reminded me on Gedo Senki a little.
Mar 18, 2011 5:52 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
I'm really looking forward to this movie. I think it will incorporate a lot more fantasy than his other films.
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Apr 9, 2011 1:01 PM
Nov 2008
hentai_proxy said:

The (lack of) temperament in the voice acting in Shinkai's works seems to be a conscious choice, tailored to fit the melancholy and generally dry mood of the character. Does it really work? Some people like it, some don't. I, for one, feel relieved to see a work whose director does not seem to be behind the scenes screaming "Emote! Emoooote!" like an old lobster. On the other hand, the VAs do push it too far to the other side (for my taste) in all of Shinkai's works. I think the actors should strive harder to avoid all extremes, especially in works like Shinkai's that are supposedly reflective. The voice acting alone in 5cm per second, for example, makes the anime sound pretentious and somewhat unpleasant, as if it is not honestly trying to convey a story that takes a bitter route, but rather forces that route on every aspect of the work. Eh, I still liked the anime, but Shinkai would be well advised to pay more attention to the old saying: Pan Metron Ariston, everything in moderation.

^This. There is a lengthy (30min or so IIRC) interview with Shinkai and the main VAs of The Place Promised...
I watched it like a year ago so I don't really remember the details, but I got the impression that the VAs really pushed themselves to the limit. Nevertheless some of them were dissatisfied with their own work and said that they'll have to improve in the future, but that didn't have anything to do with the "emotionless" acting, which is Shinkai's choice.

I love the VA work in the movies so I'm happy with it either way.
Apr 11, 2011 11:16 AM

May 2010
Looks amazing & beautiful! I can not wait!!! >.<
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
May 16, 2011 7:30 PM

Oct 2010
Holy shit! Holy shit! A ship that flies. High vibes of Laputa/Princess Mononoke with a whole new adventure? I am in! The quality is mouth watering. This is what anime should be!

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
May 17, 2011 1:22 AM

Feb 2010
This looks absolutely amazing I can't wait to watch this. The visuals are so epic, just streaming through the trailer.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Wasabi - Oct 16, 2011

145 by BlaizeV »»
Apr 5, 11:31 AM

» Ghibli studios

Bheema_Reddy - Mar 31, 2022

6 by kyouya_akai »»
Nov 25, 2023 12:36 AM

» Just incredible

Ghefira - Jun 3, 2023

2 by TheIrishman »»
Jun 4, 2023 12:59 AM

» Reference of the stars

Tsuzura - Jan 31, 2022

1 by Baby_Penewine »»
Feb 2, 2022 11:12 AM

» That girl in hoshi wo ou kodomo

byakugami - Nov 6, 2016

1 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 2017 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.