Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2010 12:43 PM
Jul 2010
Tan_fNov 7, 2015 2:53 PM
Oct 23, 2010 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
i do see how some of those images could worry you about how well something is being translated.. but in some of them they were just nit-picking. they pretty much said the same thing, just differently.

i don't really worry about it... maybe i should, but eh i'm fine as long as i get the basic idea of what was happening in the episode.
Oct 23, 2010 1:07 PM

Jul 2010
I am somewhat knowledgeable in Japanese, and I must say it's a thousand times easier to understand the meaning for myself than trying to put it into words in another language. Not to mention that not all translators are fluent in English; that's why the script has to go past translation checker and editor first to ensure it was the correct translation and the English used was correct. The difference in translations usually depends on the editor, since they are the ones who decide what to actually write based on the rough translations. Usually the meaning is still the same, only different words.

Changes in words used also happens because Japanese is a very contextual language, they will omit many words to make a sentence, that's why translator also has to add his/her own words based on the context to make it an understnadable English sentence. Sometimes this also results in a change of meaning.
Oct 23, 2010 1:13 PM
May 2010
I understand your frustration, as I am also bothered by this. However, I realize that some words/meaning can be lost through translation. A lot of it actually depends on the interpretation of the tone of voice instead of the actual literal meaning (I think), which varies among the translators.
I don't complain about because, well, these are fansubbers that are taking a lot of time and effort to provide FREE-subbed anime.

Although, here was a funny post I saw on translating The World God Only Know's engrish OP into english:
http://commiesubs.com/2092/ahaha-oh-wow/#more-2092
Oct 23, 2010 1:19 PM
Jul 2010
Do you think that original dvds that sold in stores are better translated?
Oct 23, 2010 1:24 PM

Aug 2010
*Shrugs* doesn't bother me at all. I can live with the slight differences.
Oct 23, 2010 1:26 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I think the ones on the right make more sense. Although I realize that isn't helping the question. Realistically, I know that Japanese is very contextual and if it makes sense to me, then I consider it right. I know that this is not the best way to handle subs, but I have a very limited Japanese vocabulary so I can not ask for anything more. I don't search out particular sub groups, so I rarely compare this this.

I agree with Portw00d, that these are just free subs...

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Oct 23, 2010 1:43 PM

Jul 2010
PandaCubCup said:

They are better than fansubs in that most of offical subs have better grammar etc, and they tend to make less (maybe even no) mistakes in complicated dialogue.
They are worse in that they tend to change many Japanese related culture to US; along with some reversing naming order (this can be quite annoying since what you hear what you read is different). These made many people prefer official subs; although most of these people won't even realize if there's a mistranslations in crucial and complicated dialogues, and still says it's much better than official subs.
Oct 23, 2010 2:48 PM

Apr 2010
ive never had to much problems with it, as long as its 85% the same thing ,on the other hand some subs are soooo bad it juss hurts to read it when even the english words dont come out right.
i would hit you ,but i dont wanna get any douchbag on my hands :P
Oct 23, 2010 5:46 PM
Feb 2010
It all means the same thing. There is way that you can have exact translations from two radically different languages, so there's some wiggle room. Actually, just read this. Basically, because words can mean so much, especially with languages like Japanese, Egyptian and Biblical languages,you can't just expect the translation to convey everything perfectly.

I mean, if you've got a phrase like "up shit's creek without a paddle", and you want to translate it into another language, would you just translate it literally and hope to God that people realize its meaning, literally with a TL note explaining it, paraphrased as "we're screwed/doomed/etc", or just make it like some other phrase in the new language with a similar meaning?

Now consider doing that for every sentence in a 20-minute show.
Oct 23, 2010 5:52 PM

Mar 2009
During translation, it can't be helped when some meanings are lost in translation. I'm fine with it, as long as the translation is as close as possible to the original meaning.
Oct 23, 2010 5:57 PM

Sep 2008
well all this kinda proves to me is that Formula is fucking terrible at subbing. They really have no concept of English sentence structure and flow.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Oct 23, 2010 7:17 PM

Jun 2007
If official subs aren't available via CR/DVD/BD, then about the best you can do is choose the fansub group whose translations you trust the most.

Jigero said:
well all this kinda proves to me is that Formula is fucking terrible at subbing. They really have no concept of English sentence structure and flow.
And Kesenai is just as bad, if not worse.

PandaCubCup
Do you think that original dvds that are sold in stores are better translated? Do you think they aren't?

RedSuisei said:
along with some reversing naming order (this can be quite annoying since what you hear what you read is different).
But plenty of things get reversed or re-arranged when going from Japanese to English -- why should names be held to a different standard?
Oct 23, 2010 10:30 PM

Oct 2007
translations are just peoples take on whats being said. while i'm no where near fluent enough to sit and watch a show and catch everything correctly. i hear enough to get my own idea too. while my opinion may differ from time to time, everything that is on screen is essentially the same. while i may want to emphasize something more than it done the the TL, those are all personal prefferences, writing/talking style in the english language.
Oct 23, 2010 11:04 PM

Jul 2010
@Zalis:, because, unlike sentences which gets translated, names aren't translated. Sentences reversed won't have much problem with hear vs read, since what's said and what's written is so much different anyway. But for names which aren't translated, reversing can be quite annoying.
Now I'm one of those who doesn't care much about naming order, but many people will bash anything that reverses name order (gg anyone? most of the time their tranlsations are better than other groups, but many people bash gg).
Oct 23, 2010 11:17 PM

Mar 2009
PandaCubCup said:
i totally agree with you
the "official" claymore version (german sub) looks like it was translated from the english version and not from the japanese one
also you wouldnt really want some the "official" anime dvds because some of them have strange coloured subs (the yellow that horrible subs use for example) and in the middle of the screen too
and you also wouldnt want to watch them dubbed unless you want to do serious damage to your ears
Oct 24, 2010 12:21 AM

Jun 2007
Vudis said:
also you wouldnt really want some the "official" anime dvds because some of them have strange coloured subs (the yellow that horrible subs use for example) and in the middle of the screen too
Please define why yellow is a "strange" or bad colo(u)r, preferably in terms that aren't completely subjective. Somehow, people managed to survive it all through the eras of VHS fansubs, commercial VHS, early DVDs, and even early digital fansubs. Companies use it because it doesn't blend in with most backgrounds, which is more than can be said for a lot of fansubs. And "in the middle of the screen"? What?? I'll let a picture speak 1000 or at least several words:

and you also wouldnt want to watch them dubbed unless you want to do serious damage to your ears

^ Subjective. Even on MAL's lengthy sub vs. dub thread, quite a few people expressed their like for dubs, and a poll on bakabt awhile back had 30% of respondents watching dubs at least some of the time. Besides, a lot of newer DVDs don't even have dubs these days.
Oct 24, 2010 12:51 AM

Nov 2008
Eh, as long as we're not talking about mass naked child events and such, I can deal with it. Just try out different groups until you find a few that do their job well and that's that.

On the other hand, I'm sort of annoyed with groups that try too damn hard to keep the original meaning. Leaving things in Japanese, translating literally, using translator notes unnecessarily, etc. It just bothers me. I like my text adapted to English, not just translated.
Oct 24, 2010 8:02 AM
Jul 2010
I never really had a problem with yellow subtitels.
If i only had the money i would buy my anime just for the translation.
Oct 24, 2010 9:05 AM

Apr 2010
You can never know who was the one who translated it. Sometimes, there are idiot translator, who can't even translate when it's written. But you know, each one hear differently (I for excemple, have hearing problems) and some words may sometimes sound the same. But who cares as long as you understand what's going on. I don't try to learn Japanese for that.

But as one who don't know Japanese (At all), and sometimes even find difficulty with English dub (My English isn't perfext), so I'm not going to say anything.

Oct 24, 2010 9:21 AM

Sep 2010
I can't tell the difference coz.... my Japanese sux..... :(
Oct 24, 2010 9:59 AM

Oct 2010
PandaCubCup said:

In my experience they are. Plus when things are officially subbed it kind of becomes the "proper" English version.
Dec 11, 2010 8:30 PM

May 2008
Honestly, I take the best of what I can get. The fact that these fansubbers are doing such great jobs translating anime for FREE, is just unreal.

That said, maybe a better question is: Would you pay money for better quality subs, and how much?

Also, you could get into how translating a language in its own right loses much of the meaning just from differences in language and culture. Ideally, we would all know Japanese and watch them raw, but that's just not happening for me. Probably ever.
Dec 16, 2010 9:22 PM

Nov 2010
I've never had a problem with this all the shows I've watched have made perfect sense to me
Dec 16, 2010 10:31 PM

Sep 2010
i normaly hunt around for what people have rated the beter fansubs or go with groups i no so i dont really come across this problem often... i think :)
Dec 17, 2010 9:02 PM
Apr 2009
In the end most anime are just plain TV shows. It's alright if you just get the gist of what the characters are saying. There are some where the subtleties in dialog are actually important and I leave it up to the subbers/dubbers to do their job as well as they can. Thankfully, their translations are usually very well done, and they help me to understand the overall plot and the characters -- which is all I ask for from subs/dubs.

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

46 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

2 by LostSpectre »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

136 by FanofAction »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

18 by Vaturna »»
40 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 58 minutes ago

2 by LightWorker »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.