Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2010 6:37 AM

Jul 2008
Ok. Basically, action anime with fluid movements (that hopefully abide by physics).

To give you an idea, these are what i considered well choreographed:
- FFAC (full-motion... a little bit cheating)
- Seirei no Moribito
- Sword of the Stranger
- Samurai Champloo (only a few scenes)
- Gintama (Gintoki v Nizou ONLY, so far gintoki v housen i am less than impressed with)
- Naruto (Very Very few. E.g the early scenes in Sasuke v killer bee's fight)
- Bleach (very very very very few. Byakuya v Koga fight's first 1 minute is ok)
- FMA: Brotherhood (Also very few. Greed against Wrath(Lin) was the only thing i was impressed with, and that's only for some 30 seconds in a scene)
- Soul Eater (Maka against Jack the Ripper ONLY, the rest was bad. Yes, even Black star against the samurai guy)

This is a list of anime i haven't been impressed with in terms of action (maybe due to pace being too slow, or just having bad action scenes):
- Rurouni Kenshin (No, kenshin v Hajime wasn't impressive. Same with any other scene in this)
- Fate/Stay Night
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan (Bad)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Darker Than Black
- Blood+
- Katanagatari
- Cowboy Bebop
- History's Strongest Deciple Ken'ichi
- One Piece

These are things i do not appreciate:
- Excessive commentary in action scenes
- Excessive Slow Motion
- Excessive Facial Closeups, revealing nothing about their movements, and comepletely focused on their face
- Supermoves (kamehameha etc) that makes skill completely meaningless
- movements that incorporates "blurs" such that characters become a blur and simply disappear in 1 frame, rather than moving out of the camera with a movement that's actually animated (cough, dbz, cough, bleach).

These are things i appreciate:
- Fluid movements between frames (movement does not seem slower in one frame transition when compared with the next transition etc.)
- Fast Paced Scenes
- Well positioned camera, and good camera movements
- (Minor) Weapon/Projectile Movements from frame to frame, instead of simply a weapon/projectile trajectory. Slightly Blurred (to emphasize speed, etc) is ok.

If anyone knows an anime i havent seen, and think that i'd be able to appreciate its choreography I'd welcome your suggestion.
dxthegreatSep 20, 2010 7:00 AM

Sep 20, 2010 7:55 AM

Apr 2010
You might as well watch some damn Jackie Chan movies because your request probably won't find any anime that will please you.
Sep 20, 2010 8:11 AM

Nov 2008
There's no anime that fits those specifications.

Sep 20, 2010 9:57 AM

Dec 2008
You either need to lower your standards a bit or watch a live-action flick, as ayEwyllie suggested.

When you see a fight that is high quality and well choreographed, you know a lot of time and resources were spent on it. In other words, they are expensive. Each anime series is allowed only a certain budget so they have to work with what they've got, which often means they will cut corners here and there.

If anything, don't search for series. Films tend to be better in quality overall because they are less lengthy than whole series. Unfortunately, I haven't watched any action anime films but maybe someone else can suggest something.
Sep 20, 2010 10:16 AM

Jun 2010
I suggest you re-watch the first movie of Ghost in the Shell (suprisingly you gave it a 3.) and second one if you haven't. The action is almost real-time except for a few slow motion scenes.
dillianSep 20, 2010 10:21 AM
Sep 20, 2010 12:56 PM

Nov 2008
I heard Tetsuwan Birdy Decode has pretty awesome fights.
Sep 20, 2010 1:03 PM

Apr 2009
The Heroic Legend of Arslan fits your bill wonderfully. And it's nowhere near as bad as the title makes it sound. The art is absolutely gorgeous too.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Sep 20, 2010 1:05 PM

Apr 2009
Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~. If that doesn't interest you, go watch some real movies.
Sep 20, 2010 1:09 PM

Aug 2009
Kara no Kyoukai
That's all there is to it for me
Sep 20, 2010 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
gundam 00
and unicorn
Sep 20, 2010 5:11 PM

Mar 2010
Claymore?

This thread mainly made me go, "really?"
Sep 20, 2010 5:35 PM
Jul 2018
its not gurren laganns fault its pwns the shit out with everthing else and didn't get into any long choreographed fights.
Sep 20, 2010 5:43 PM

May 2010
For Cowboy Bebop and Rurouni Kenshin, they were old. Back then it was pretty darn good.

My suggestion would be Ghost in the Shell SAC

Also, have you checked out Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen? The "fluid animation" is taken a whole new level...I mean Hiko Seijuro proved it in just 3 minutes of the OVA...
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 20, 2010 7:20 PM

Mar 2009
Hmm, how about Avatar: The Last Airbender?
Sep 20, 2010 7:46 PM

Oct 2009
Kara no Kyoukai i guess but seriously your not going to find what you are looking for and how can you not like the action scenes in cowboy bebop the fight scenes in the movie was one of the most fluid hand to hand combat scenes in an anime ever
Sep 20, 2010 8:56 PM

Jun 2010
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:
Kara no Kyoukai i guess but seriously your not going to find what you are looking for and how can you not like the action scenes in cowboy bebop the fight scenes in the movie was one of the most fluid hand to hand combat scenes in an anime ever

QFT

Anyway my suggestion would be Spriggan, yes it is rather old but i thought the action was very good for its age.

It won't give up it wants me dead god damn this noise inside my head
Sep 20, 2010 9:17 PM

Oct 2007
Black★Rock Shooter(get gg's abridged version)
Casshern SINS
Dai Mahou Touge
Eureka Seven: Pocket Full of Rainbows
Heartcatch Precure
Karas
Macross Plus
Macross Zero
Megazone 23 Part II
New Getter Robo
Re: Cutie Honey

Of course, the problem with most shows with well choreographed fight scenes is that they never last long enough. Also, seconding Kara no Kyokai.
Sep 20, 2010 11:42 PM

Sep 2009
llxwarbirdxll said:
Casshern SINS

Definitely
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2010 2:53 AM

Jul 2008
hmmm, From the recommendations here, the ones i haven't seen are:
gundam unicorn, phantom, heroic legend of arslan, casshern sins and a bunch of (questionable) stuff warbird recommended.

These recommendations ive already seen:
Ive already seen Kara no Kyoukai and whilst the colours and level of detail in that anime are worth noting, the animation wasn't what i was looking for in this thread. The only exception is the climactic scene in movie 5. However, whilst colour may have been nice, the twisting camera and excessive blur effects made movements impossible to follow. The merit in Kara no Kyoukai wasn't in fluid animation or choreography, but in colour and visual effects.
Ive already seen black rock shooter and yeah, i agree that the camera movements and choreography there are quite outstanding.
Karas is... not what im looking for. It incorporates many slowmos and 1 hit kos and there really wasnt any intricate movements.
Eureka Seven likes to recycle this idea of having their mecha twist, with missiles following them. The mecha would move further away from the camera and the missiles exhibit really really obvious CG movement. I mean... It's not bad, it's not really what i'm searching for here either.

Also... it doesn't really matter whether the animation for cowboy bebop or rurouni kenshin was good for its time. Who cares if it's only good for its time? You rated it as is, by modern standards. Because animation standards are always rising higher. Just because earlier animators were handicapped back then, it doesn't mean we should handicap modern animation back.
Unless.. what? Because Punch Card Input computers took decades of innovation, would you use it over a PC? Just because it was really innovative back then? Of course not.

In any case, my gratitude for everyone for their recommendations (that is, everyone who replied except for jpem).

Sep 21, 2010 4:02 AM

Nov 2008
BLeakXBuRSTX19 said:
Oh yeah, he hasn't seen the movie. The last fight is exactly what he's looking for.
Definitely worth checking out.
Sep 21, 2010 7:46 AM

Feb 2010
dxthegreat said:

Also... it doesn't really matter whether the animation for cowboy bebop or rurouni kenshin was good for its time. Who cares if it's only good for its time?

Trouble is that (excluding CGs) Cowboy Bebop definitely has some of the most fluid animation found in TV series. It has been outdone, but definitely holds very well today.
Maybe you can try the Area 88 OVAs, but the fights there are not between humans but planes.
Oh, and definitely find the Cowboy Bebop movie.
Sep 21, 2010 9:54 AM
Jul 2018
tbh your asking for way too much, i mean most of the really well animated stuff are movies and short ova's. and i don't know many that are fighting/action. just because you want something to exist doesnt mean it actually does.
Sep 21, 2010 11:19 AM

Jul 2008
yeah ill be sure to find the cowboy bebop movie then. I'm easily impressed by traditional animation that stands up to the quality of CG animation. The haruhi scene that was drawn using rotoscoping for example, i found pretty awesome.

More topics from this board

» Anime where main character have girlfriend but later love someone else?

Mione48 - Mar 23, 2022

5 by DOOMGuYMi5js »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime/ Manga to binge

theD00mGuy - 5 hours ago

4 by Shion_Rosenheim »»
14 minutes ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Apr 25

14 by Edocchi »»
3 hours ago

» missing family / lost partner

Hexis - Today

4 by mo_lave »»
6 hours ago

» Any manga regarding books

BroDa2545 - 11 hours ago

6 by RaviDavi »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.