Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2010 8:19 PM
Apr 2010
i think you should only be able to review an anime when it is atleast 70% aired... or something... its not possible to review a whole anime besed on only one episode that has aired... it defeats the purpose of even having a review system... dose anyone feel the same
Jul 9, 2010 2:45 AM

Jun 2010
girlsdeadmonster said:
i think you should only be able to review an anime when it is atleast 70% aired... or something... its not possible to review a whole anime besed on only one episode that has aired... it defeats the purpose of even having a review system... dose anyone feel the same
Yes.
Jul 9, 2010 7:35 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
What about anime series that haven't finished airing or have no end date in sight?
Jul 9, 2010 8:16 AM

Jun 2010
Xinil said:
What about anime series that haven't finished airing or have no end date in sight?
Well. Shows like Naruto/Bleach are in my opinion (or bias) not a single never ending show, but multiple shows/seasons that simply share the same name.

The seasons do tend to coincide with story arcs however: so you have a Soul Society arc, a Bounto arc and so forth. If I were to just apply a simple rating to them I would happily give the first seasons a good 9 or 10 and 2 or 3 to some of the horrible filler ones that come later, then again give 9s and 10s to some of the ones after.

Its very random. I don't think you're actually doing users a favor by (pretending to) review the hole thing. Not until its finished anyway. You should be allowed to review individual parts (seasons, arcs) of it but not suggest you're reviewing the entire series when its not even done yet. Though likely a lot of people will have a problem with that.

Just my 2cents.
Jul 9, 2010 8:29 AM

Nov 2009
Xinil said:
How about making those an exception?
Earth gets angry after a kick in the face.
Jul 9, 2010 10:07 AM

Jan 2008
Just have a reasonable limit, like you're only allowed to review a show after having marked ten episodes as 'watched', or some other arbitrary number.

These 1 episode reviews are not only annoying but they're slowly invading the site, it's stupidly amazing just how many there are that are littering the site.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jul 9, 2010 10:26 AM
Apr 2009
I support this suggestion.
Jul 9, 2010 11:35 AM

Feb 2008
Put a time limit in place for on-going shows that makes sure the show has been airing for at least 3 months before any review can be submitted. It won't stop 1 episode reviewers completely but it should work for most things, even OVAs and specials. The time limit can be longer too, 4-5 months would probably work a bit better towards a 70% limit for ~25 episode shows.
Jul 9, 2010 5:11 PM

Jun 2008
I don't think this is really necessary because

It already tells you the number of episodes seen on the reviews so you can decide whether or not you want to read it.

The ones that are voted "most helpful" are listed at the top so you usually don't have to even deal with the reviews that don't have enough episodes seen.

Logically, the people that don't like the fact that users can review on-going shows before enough episodes have been aired wouldn't even bother to look at the reviews for the anime until later. By the time they do check, (if the helpful/not helpful system does work) they shouldn't need to spend too much time looking through the annoying "1 ep seen" reviews to find a review that is actually helpful.
Jul 10, 2010 12:33 AM

Jun 2010
Claudius said:
It already tells you the number of episodes seen on the reviews so you can decide whether or not you want to read it.
Which suggests the system for % of episodes would do more harm then good as people will start lieing to be able to review.
Jul 10, 2010 5:04 AM

Sep 2008
Beatnik said:
Just have a reasonable limit, like you're only allowed to review a show after having marked ten episodes as 'watched', or some other arbitrary number.

These 1 episode reviews are not only annoying but they're slowly invading the site, it's stupidly amazing just how many there are that are littering the site.
kuroshiroi said:
Put a time limit in place for on-going shows that makes sure the show has been airing for at least 3 months before any review can be submitted. It won't stop 1 episode reviewers completely but it should work for most things, even OVAs and specials. The time limit can be longer too, 4-5 months would probably work a bit better towards a 70% limit for ~25 episode shows.

approve one of this plz, this recently biased and not enough detail review flood started to annoy me, and make MAL seems lose some credibility.
Jul 11, 2010 12:45 AM

Jul 2006
I honestly believe there shouldn't be any "time limits", instead reviews should be subjected to a critique by moderators(or a moderator that specializes in going over reviews in order to accept/reject them). So you solve the whole "1 episode review" bullshit(because they will never get the nod), and then you also have no more troll reviews. But of course, let the moderator be lenient on the stuff. You still wanna be user friendly and all.

I feel kind of weird saying this because on more than 1 occasion I flooded the review section with troll reviews. But the whole reason why I did that was to show how reviews here have no credibility. Not like it worked.

Jul 11, 2010 8:50 AM

Apr 2010
Needs the following:

1. Marked 70%+ episodes as watched. If the show hasn't even gotten 70% of its shows done, then obviously they're lying.

2. Reviews need to be over say, 500 words.

3. Each and every one should be subject to mod review and approval.
Jul 12, 2010 8:07 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I think too often the review system is used for recommendations (I really like this, you should watch it too!), as episode blogging (the first ep was great and I'm looking forward to seeing more!), to counter other reviews, and trolling, of course. Reviews are supposed to be a critique, an analysis of the work, and able to identify subtleties the audience may otherwise not get... and this cannot be done with two sentences or by seeing 1/12 - 1/24 of the work.

I think if we're going to be lax on what we consider a review and allow for the above to creep in, there's no need to change anything about the system. But know that our review system is basically a joke. If we're going to be more strict on what we consider a review, then the character/word count needs to be increased and conditional statements need to be added. In this case, I would second kuro's suggestion:
kuroshiroi said:
Put a time limit in place for on-going shows that makes sure the show has been airing for [...] 4-5 months [which would work as] a 70% limit for ~25 episode shows.
This should also restrict users from writing reviews for series that have not aired yet - which are all trolls anyway - and the entry being set to completed would trump this condition.

Either way, I think reviews should be stripped from the front page of the entries. And while we're at that, so should recommendations and characters. Each of these have their own tabs on the entry and have the potential to include spoiler information without meaning to. That, and most people seem to get angry with them, rather than use them, fueling trolls and arguments. Just yesterday, I removed four reviews for HotD yelling at people for having 1 ep reviews and eight purely writing nonsensical spam saying "this is for all the 1 ep reviewers". It's a waste of time that could be put towards bettering the databases. While reviews have the potential to contribute to that, in their current form they really don't.
KinetaJul 12, 2010 8:11 AM
Jul 12, 2010 10:35 AM

Jun 2010
Kineta said:
And while we're at that, so should recommendations and characters. Each of these have their own tabs on the entry and have the potential to include spoiler information without meaning to.
I don't particularly have a opinion of the other two. Recommendations are a useless feature the way they are now (ie. un-automated) where I have to put a lot of work for possibly no or little gain; long live the "ask for recommendation" forum post! And, reviews mainly I have yet to give them any attention due to how I fail to see what benefit is to be had. If it was a synopsis system, I would understand, and possibly participate. I'll take your word on them failing hard.

However, I can't disagree more on characters! How are they spoiling anything? First of all those images are so-so small, its hard to believe anyone [not trying REALLY HARD] could be spoiled by them. Secondly, the names won't just pop in your head. You have to read them. What are the chances, you went to the page with a synopsis, possibly highly spoiled 225 by 300 image on the left, genre tags, not to mention rating, such as R - 17+, and yet you got spoiled by reading a character name? =P which unlike fairy tails have no power when thee pronounce them.

Also, I'd be more weary about putting too much faith into those tabs! Its very likely a lot of your users up till now were happily using the "More characters" link (I know I was). I've seen no study to suggest tabs are user friendly, and enough to suggest they might not be (consider how apparently so many people liked the old left bar even I heard about it). A lot of your visitors might also come from a google search to that page; and for them it tends to be a you have it there or you don't have it at all.
Jul 12, 2010 6:46 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Vindictus said:
However, I can't disagree more on characters! How are they spoiling anything?
This is mostly off-topic, so I don't really want to go into detail, but character names and even the fact that a character is appearing in a series (think crossovers or sequels) can give spoilers. Clicking on "More Characters" or clicking on "Characters and Staff" at the top, is it that much of a difference? And really, the same goes for reviews.

Vindictus said:
Also, I'd be more weary about putting too much faith into those tabs!
Tabs are a necessary function to divide information into relevant sections. There is no possible way that all of the information for one entry could be combined onto one page or it would go on forever. And really, the anime/manga pages (detail tab) are quite large now as it is. As long as information is sorted intelligently (and not in a bizillion sections), tabs can only enable the user to find the information he is searching for more easily.

I'm not sure how your menu comment relates as the drop-down menus are not comparable to the tabs (already in existence) on anime/manga pages.

This is review topic though, so the debate of what should leave the main page and what shouldn't is something that should be discussed elsewhere. For reviews, I see no reason for them to be on the main page. In fact, I think we'd be better off without.
KinetaJul 12, 2010 6:49 PM
Jul 13, 2010 1:09 AM

Jun 2010
Kineta said:
Vindictus said:
Also, I'd be more weary about putting too much faith into those tabs!
Tabs are a necessary function to divide information into relevant sections. There is no possible way that all of the information for one entry could be combined onto one page or it would go on forever. And really, the anime/manga pages (detail tab) are quite large now as it is. As long as information is sorted intelligently (and not in a bizillion sections), tabs can only enable the user to find the information he is searching for more easily.
You're suggesting moving Reviews to those tabs, so I hope you'll forgive me if I drag this one quick post further.

I'll keep it short, most experts will disagree with you. While the use of tabs isn't taboo, the way you're using them and the design is likely to cause problems.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.