Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2010 3:57 AM

Nov 2007

Welcome to the official thread for re[MAL] theme feedback and support!
Feel free to report any bugs you might have encountered right here. I also welcome any suggestions for where the style could be improved further. However, please keep in mind the style updates will be coming at irregular intervals.

Note: When reporting bugs, it would be very helpful if you attach a screenshot of how it looks like in your environment.

Theme last updated on: 2010-08-30

2010.08.30 :: Added webkit-specific css3 codes to work in Google Chrome.

2010.08.28 :: Updated to work properly Firefox 4 beta 4. Other minor fixes since last update
To avoid any trouble, I would advise you to not update the style this time unless you're using Firefox 4 beta 4 and things look not right. This update does NOT include any new style-wise changes and there is absolutely no need to update if everything is working fine for you now.

2010.08.12 ::
- *IMPORTANT* Style has been divided again, you need to install the sidebar addon stylesheet. (due to userstyles.org 65536 letter limit, again)
- Image source has been merged into one, for load efficiency.
- Global textbox, Forum hierarchy bar are restyled refined.

>Full History:

> DOWNLOAD: MAIN STYLESHEET | SIDEBAR STYLE ADDON | FORUM STYLE ADDON | CLEARTYPE ADDON | FONT PACK
re[MAL] works with Firefox 3.6+ and Google Chrome 6.0+. (Transition effects require Firefox 4.0 and higher)
For information on using re[MAL] on Chrome, please see this post
FONT DOWNLOAD
If you don't like the delays when the fonts load from online, you can download and install them permanently on your computer: [DOWNLOAD] (UPDATE: Also contains Helvetica Condensed)

Below are the reference screenshots taken from my environment. It should look the same on your computer too, if it doesn't, something is wrong! :P
> HELVETICA + FREETYPE RENDER | ARIAL + CLEARTYPE RENDER (with CLEARTYPE ADDON)
(Screenshots are as of 2010-06-23 version, taken on Firefox 3.6.3.)

CURRENTLY IN MIND FOR NEXT UPDATE
nothing more at the moment!

BANNERS!

zvucMar 28, 2011 5:14 AM

kimatg on | blog | pixiv | deviantART
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 19, 2010 2:54 PM
Feb 2009
Love it ! Very slick, smooth, and stylish.

On the top header, next to "profile", is the other parenthesis supposed to be cut off or is it just me?

Edit: Nevermind. It's not there because the number of notifications is a double-digit number.
rweqoiuJun 19, 2010 3:00 PM
Jun 20, 2010 3:24 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I love it, personally using the alternative options included but that makes it even better. Great work again.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 21, 2010 11:03 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
By the way, is it intended that the blog edit and 'You've successfully sent a PM to XYZ' pages don't have the background image?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 22, 2010 3:38 AM

Nov 2007
@cyruz: No, the PM successfully sent message box should too have the bluish rounded background as other notification messages. Though I'm not sure about the blog edit since I don't use the blog... but as long as MAL uses the same classes for notice boxes (.goodresult and .badresult) it should be the same. Screenshot would be helpful.. :P

Jun 22, 2010 5:35 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Heh, well those pages simply have no background at all. I'm using the alternative background/navigation and the pages I mentioned have a solid white background. (:

For example a blog page link: http://myanimelist.net/myblog.php

[edit]: W00t, it's working now. Weird, only installed the latest update. Anyway, whoo!

Thanks for keeping that detailed changelog, too.
cyruzJun 22, 2010 5:39 AM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 22, 2010 5:43 AM

Nov 2007
Ah, that must have been fixed when I removed the thickbox exception the time before.
Well, good to hear it's all fine now. :D

Jun 22, 2010 11:29 AM

Jan 2010
it's really pretty, thank you :D
Jun 22, 2010 1:39 PM

Apr 2008
I was wondering what all those errors were about. Yay updates?
Jun 23, 2010 2:17 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Nice update again. Were forum usernames bold before? They seem somewhat thin now, maybe it's due to the font change, if it affects forum names.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 24, 2010 5:44 AM

Apr 2007
Forum names have always been bold by default. And they're "re-bolded" if you load the cleartype addon ;)
----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version 3.12 '''(Updated: 29/05/15)'''
GCM/GCS d s:+ a C++(+++) UL-- P L+(-) E-- W++ N++
o? K? w++(++++) O--- M--- V-- PS@ PE+ Y+ PGP++@
t+ 5 X+ R++ tv b DI D++ G e h!* r* y-
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Jun 24, 2010 7:14 AM

Nov 2007
Yes, they were bold by default. And I haven't changed anything regarding that part of the stylesheet. :D

Jun 24, 2010 7:27 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Are you sure about that? I just updated again, only changed to the alternative background/navigation by removing the two comment-commands. Then I updated the cleartype addon and forum names are not bold.

[edit]: When I load a forum page the forum names are not bold. When I disable the cleartype script and then enable it again, they are bold.

[edit2]: And now it seems to be bold like it's supposed to. No idea what's going on but it's working for now.
cyruzJun 24, 2010 7:30 AM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 24, 2010 7:42 AM

Nov 2007
Hmm, dunno what exactly happened in your case, but to explain:
The default setting for forum username is bold, as it's hard-coded with <strong> tags around.
In the re[MAL] theme, the stylesheet overrides the <strong> tag to display as Helvetica 65 Medium, in normal weight.
However in cleartype addon, it overrides it again now to TitilliumText14L800wt in bold weight.

So with both stylesheets active, it should display as bold.

Jun 24, 2010 11:49 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Yeah, I'm not sure what sort of hiccup this was, thanks for the patience, heh.

The links on the right side below the navigation are always bold, on My Panel or on user's profiles. On the forum however, the links are not bold. Maybe you can adjust that with the next update.

Also the message when you post on the forums 'bla bla successfully posted your message' is bold when it loads but switches to non-bold when it's fully loaded. At least it does for me. It should stay bold if possible. (:

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 24, 2010 2:57 PM

Nov 2007
Ah, I see what you mean. I bolded the forum navigation text as well now.
And as for the messages, it looks like it's going from bold to non-bold because of delay in loading the HelveticaNeue Light font.
Can be fixed by installing the font from the package I posted above :)

Jun 25, 2010 4:24 PM

Apr 2009
i noticed mal reverts to the old style on private list and invalid username pages like these:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZoiQ
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/example1
firefistace01Jun 25, 2010 8:12 PM
Jun 26, 2010 12:34 AM

Nov 2007
@firefistace01: Yes, I have confirmed the issue but unfortunately It can't be fixed.
The stylesheet actually excludes any urls starting http://myanimelist.net/animelist and http://myanimelist.net/mangalist not to override the user defined stylesheets for their own lists, so there isn't any way I can possibly hook just the pages that have invalid error messages, as long they have the same url prefix.

I could make a separate section of @-moz-document with animelists and mangalists to apply the #myanimelist containers and so forth, but then background would be still white since I can't touch <body> and after all, it would be a waste of space in the stylesheet. :P

Jun 26, 2010 6:02 AM

Jan 2009
Glad to see you finally created a thread here. I always loved remal. Slick, clean and really professional. :)
Jun 27, 2010 5:30 AM

Nov 2007
oh wow, since when did the thumbs get that small?!

afair they used to be big. 0_0 oh well...

it's fixed now. plus some additional changes... (guess where?) though it's not final.. expect some minor bugs here and there :P
will write a proper announce for update details when it's really done :)

Jun 27, 2010 10:45 AM

Apr 2008
Could you also make the thumbs on profile pages bigger? You know, the ones that list your favorite anime/manga/characters/people. It can be a little hard to figure out who/what they are unless you hover over them.

Oh and by the way, do you think a newsletter or something is possible? One that lets us know there is an update, so we don't have to keep checking this thread.
Jun 27, 2010 11:05 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Thanks for the quick fixes again.

I personally think the character thumbnails on profiles are big enough, and a newsletter is simply too much to ask. Check I userstyles.org once a day and update if there's one. That's really not that hard to do.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 27, 2010 3:20 PM

Nov 2007
@_Vincent_:
The thumbs on profile pages are already that size, so force enlarging the pic sizes wouldn't help much as it will make it blurry.
And yea as cyruz said newsletter would too much of hassle to write everytime... but you can use the check update for style feature in firefox itself.
Tools > Addons > User Styles > Find Updates.
That would be the easiest way to check if the style's been updated or not.. for now. :)

Jun 28, 2010 12:15 AM

Jan 2009
Yea they're kinda small. :)
Jun 28, 2010 12:21 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I just noticed the from page 'path' display. Now that looks tasty!

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jun 30, 2010 12:59 AM

Jan 2009
Is there a way to automatically update userstyles on chrome? I can't seem to find one.

Also, I reinstalled the userstyle but nothing seems to have changed. The forum bars remain as they are, and i'm getting a link-overlap problem.
Jun 30, 2010 1:20 AM

Nov 2007
@Passimus: obviously the style hasn't been applied properly. Try deleting the stylesheet and install again.
And when you said "chrome" did you mean the firefox chrome or Google chrome?
If you meant how to update from firefox, you can do so by going to menu > Tools > Addons > Userstyles > Find Updates.
zvucJun 30, 2010 1:54 AM

Jun 30, 2010 10:14 PM

Jan 2009
I've tried it several times. Doesn't work even after resetting the cache. Ah, I meant on google chrome.
PRESSitJun 30, 2010 10:19 PM
Jun 30, 2010 11:10 PM

Jun 2009
Wow man, this is truely gorgeous work. Hadn't checked your updates on this theme for a while. :3

If I start making some themes of my own again, would you mind if I stole borrowed some of your code and ideas, again? x) Of course I'd give full credit where it's due.
Jul 1, 2010 1:05 AM

Nov 2007
@Passimus:
Ah, as I had thought...
The last time I've tried applying the skin on chrome stylish and converting the code into webkit, didn't work unfortunately. :(
I don't guarantee it to work on any other browsers than firefox, unless I make a notice about it.

@suffix:
yeah I'm glad too now that things are getting cleaner every time :)
And yes you can reference my code any time you want, as long as you credit me :D

Jul 1, 2010 2:47 AM

Nov 2007
Sorry guys, my mistake. The style on userstyle.org hadn't properly taken in my update at all. That damn 65536 letter limit again T_T

Anyways, it's divided into two again. Read the notice on the club comments wall or the first post on this thread :)

Jul 1, 2010 4:46 AM

Jan 2009
This is what it looks like without forum addon:

With forum addon:

I'll use it without the forum part for now, but it'd be great if something could be done about that. :)
Jul 1, 2010 4:54 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Don't worry about it, it's hardly a challenge to install one more script. Thanks for the update!

Passimus:
I think you got it wrong. The forum addon is not optional, it's necessary for re[MAL]. Don't think about disabling/not using it.

kmatg:
I have a suggestion. You've made pretty bars out of the stats on profiles and anime/manga entry pages. Maybe you could do something similar with poll results on the forums. :D
cyruzJul 1, 2010 5:08 AM

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 1, 2010 5:13 AM

Nov 2007
Actually, the forum addon isn't necessary for re[MAL] to function. In fact, if you want you can only use the forum addon without the main style enabled. Though I don't really see the reason why anyone would do so :P

@Passimus: Again, assuming you have the latest version the code isn't applied properly...
The stylesheet does NOT work in Google Chrome. Apart from the fact that the stylesheet uses Gecko-only css3 properties (such as -moz-border-radius and -moz-box-shadow), the major problem with Google Chrome when applying userstyles to it is that the browser itself rewrites the html code that has inline (hardcoded) styles.

Simple example: when the site has <div style="padding: 0px; margin: 2px;">
and I hook the code with div[style="padding: 0px; margin: 2px;"]
It works fine because the style attribute is exactly the same.
But when Google Chrome loads the page, I noticed, it basically "cleans up" the code by itself: so the browser actually displays: <div style="padding: 0; margin: 2px;"> (px is removed after 0)
and so, the stylesheet I wrote does not get applied, hence the weird results on layout.

@cyruz: Yea, I had that in mind too already. I'm going to make more minor changes to the forum in the coming days, including the poll bars. Stay tuned! :D
zvucJul 1, 2010 5:17 AM

Jul 1, 2010 5:25 AM

Jan 2009
@cyruz: You misunderstand. I know that it an essential part of re[MAL], but it doesn't stylise the forum for me in anyway, rather making it more messy. I'd prefer not to use it since mal works fine without the forum addon, at least until proven otherwise.

@kimatg: Thanks for the explaination, I understand now. The basic stylesheet works fine for me though, so i think i'll continue using that. Its a lot better than what standard mal has to offer. (and i'm kinda tired of darkmal/floating bars :P). Just keep up the good work!
PRESSitJul 1, 2010 5:34 AM
Jul 1, 2010 11:19 AM

Apr 2007
kimatg said:
Simple example: when the site has <div style="padding: 0px; margin: 2px;">
and I hook the code with div[style="padding: 0px; margin: 2px;"]
It works fine because the style attribute is exactly the same.
But when Google Chrome loads the page, I noticed, it basically "cleans up" the code by itself: so the browser actually displays: <div style="padding: 0; margin: 2px;"> (px is removed after 0)
and so, the stylesheet I wrote does not get applied, hence the weird results on layout.
Ah, A developer's nightmare... A browser that edits the code while loading it... Great going Google >.>;;
Yet another reason not to use Chrome (as if the XSS exploits weren't enough already).

Anyway, I'm thinking of making a theme based on this... If you're OK with that kimatg.
Basically a dark conversion (at least for starters)
However! Only if you don't have any plans to do that yourself.
Jul 2, 2010 1:00 AM

Nov 2007
@Zealotus: Just like I said to suffix, you're too free to reference my codes in making your style.
But if you're just going to make color/background changes while leaving all the layout tweaks the same, I think would be better if you made your style as an "addon" to the re[MAL] theme, more like an alternate color scheme. That would be much easier for you too :P

I've actually had in mind of completely redesigning every part from scratch since some time ago, but hardly doubt that's gonna come anytime soon. :P
Oh if only Xinil had cleaned up the code by putting proper classes and ids instead of hard-coding styles and quit using tables anymore... *cough*

Jul 2, 2010 6:26 AM

Apr 2007
You could try and talk to him...
I managed to get him to add a class for comments (.bgNone) so that I could modify them more easily a while back.
So he's not impossible ;)
But I don't see the issue with tables (as long as they're properly ID'd and Class'ed and not hard coded width/height of course).

Anyway, I've spent the past... hour, almost, looking at your code and removed anything that wasn't colour related...
Now I have a basic colour style!
And I see I might have to modify some images (I was kind of expecting that from the very beginning though)...

btw, you have many overkill removes...
if you've put "display: none !important;" you won't need anything else like "color: transparent;" and stuff... ;)
Granted, I didn't look into what they were really.

Also, if you do start on a new style from scratch I suggest you separeate the layout tweaks from the colouring/styling from the beginning ;)
I found that far more relaxing to work on (Reffering to my Core Style and Night Theme).

EDIT:
http://userstyles.org/styles/33135
As good as it gets without new images...
(I'm aware I've missed a few areas but I'm done for today)
ZealotusJul 2, 2010 9:57 AM
Jul 5, 2010 3:21 AM

Nov 2007

(applies to main theme, forum addon)
2010.07.05 :: More forum style cleanups, global button style modified, dialog box restyled.

> DOWNLOAD: MAIN STYLESHEET | FORUM STYLE ADDON | CLEARTYPE ADDON | FONT PACK

Jul 5, 2010 4:41 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Interesting changes, I like most of them better. Great work!

Can I suggest having the forum Post Message and Cancel etc. moved to the left of the text box. The way I have to travel with the mouse now is rather long. Would be shorter if it was on the left.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 5, 2010 5:00 AM

Nov 2007
@cyruz:
well it isn't too hard to change it, but don't you think it will be kinda weird with buttons on left?
Dunno about left-handed users but as right-handed It kinda looks right with buttons on the right... :P

Jul 5, 2010 6:10 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lol, good point. Guess I'll get used to it. =D

Keep up the good work.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 7, 2010 7:38 AM

Mar 2010
Thank You))
Jul 10, 2010 11:25 AM
Jan 2009
So awesome!! I so fucking loved it! Oh my, great job!! */0\*
When I saw the favorite characters list I thought "I can add more characters now, yaaay", but then I saw it's still not possible, aww. Too bad, heh, but it's MAL's system, what to do. But why those "slots", if I should use this word, after all? Not that I'm complaining, it's just a question, because I still love the whole thing a looot, so in love with it. */____\*
Jul 10, 2010 3:03 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
The width is ideal and that's just the size of the profile picture frame etc. The people favorites fit in perfectly. I think it's alright.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 10, 2010 4:28 PM

Nov 2007
@Hawkenn:
I'm glad you like it^^
And what do you mean by slots?
If you meant the way reMAL iconifies the favorite anime/manga/characters list on your profile page, it can be reverted to the original again.
Just find the part with /* --compact favorites-- */ and delete till where it says /* --compact favorites till here-- */ and that should be it. :)

Jul 10, 2010 8:20 PM

Apr 2009
Very good this one the Re-MAL but I cannot install the userstyle of Helvetica :/have tried often but I cannot .... only the style goes out for me arial .... I use the Mozilla Firefox please it helps...
Jul 11, 2010 1:34 AM

Nov 2007
@-Eldoxanime-
If you're not using Firefox with freetype rendering (GDI++, ezgdi, gdipp etc) OR Firefox in Mac OSX, you should always enable the cleartype addon, as the fonts will not look good in cleartype rendering even with all the required helvetica fonts installed.

Jul 12, 2010 10:24 AM
Jan 2009
@kimatg
I see. It was just a question really, no big deal, and you bet I prefer the way it looks now, hahah, but thank you a lot for explaining this to me. ;D
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Zealotus's MAL Themes

Zealotus - Dec 22, 2008

3 by Zealotus »»
Apr 27, 2021 5:31 PM

» MAL Greasemonkey Userscripts

DeathfireD - Oct 23, 2008

44 by hacker09 »»
Mar 24, 2021 6:10 PM

Sticky: » MAL Themes

5hreddy - Oct 23, 2008

9 by koetemagie »»
Feb 24, 2020 5:28 AM

» Metricx Themes (Userstyles) - Update May 12, 2016 ( 1 2 )

Batmeow - Feb 19, 2013

76 by Batmeow »»
Apr 5, 2017 9:46 PM

» MAL redesign theme

Katgrills - Jul 7, 2016

4 by Katgrills »»
Sep 30, 2016 2:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.