Forum Settings
Forums

Moved Paginaton to Top, Plus Other Minor Bug Fixes...Show All?

New
Jun 13, 2010 10:09 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I've moved the pagination to the top of the anime/manga lists (where the bar is). I'm not sure if it's going to stay there, but I think it's a better fit than where it was before (ideally it should be at the bottom...but that doesn't look good).

Regarding the "Show All" feature. We need a better option. I'm not against the show all concept, but it's prone to abuse. Some people have 2k+ entries on their lists and when "Show All" is active...it takes a huge toll on our web servers (DB not so much).
Only thing i can think of is to limit the numbers of entries per section (if all 5 statuses are displayed, only show 100 or so from each).

Let this post be a topic for discussion and ideas to bring back show all, with efficiency and server stability in mind.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 13, 2010 10:12 PM
Mar 2009
Did no one see my suggestion other than those two guys?

EDIT: Ok, here's what I suggested in the thread made for announcing this change:

chinlamp said:
Ok, I get that no one likes this, I don't like it (as I said on page 2), but now that I think about it, everyone had these exact same problems, what, 2-3 months ago when the layout for the entire site was changed, didn't they? And we've all stopped bitching about that now, so I guess we'll get used to it.

But, no one seems happy about the lack of a show all option, and everyone seems to hate that it's all indexed on separate pages. Now, I'm no expert on coding, actually, I know nothing about it whatsoever, but Xinil said that he's gonna be
Xinil said:
Tags will be getting a rework (further down the road).

I'll also be moving the location of the page links.

so I'm wondering if there's any way to make it so that you have the separate lists in dropdown format. Ugh, not explaining myself very well here, um, let me try and do a paint thing.

*goes away for a couple minutes, comes back*

Ok, so the list, when first loaded, would look like this:

Then when the watching part was clicked, it would drop down and load the watching part only then to look like this:

Then you could click the other parts to load them all separately as well, with the option of closing the lists up or dropping them all down at once (I've gone with the dropped part of mine cos it's the smallest one):

Ok, so, it would load every part individually, as each part of the list would be on it's own little file or something, and it would only load when the drop down boxes are clicked. I'm sure I've seen this done somewhere, but I have no idea where. Surely that would have the same effect as this current update while still allowing everyone to have the ability for the show all feature? Again, I know nothing, so I can't say if it's possible to do or not, but I'm sure I've seen it done somewhere.

EDIT P.S.: And yes, I know it looks crap, I did it in 5 minutes in Paint but it gets the point across so it's good enough.
chinlampJun 13, 2010 10:16 PM

Jun 13, 2010 10:12 PM

Nov 2007
mikewando said:
I really liked being able to see all of my entries on one page. If the problem is simply loading too many entries every list view, then it seems like an alteration to the "show all" option should be implemented where the categories start as "hidden/unexpanded" and then can be clicked to "expand" a category (show first 200, then click to show more). This would reduce the number of entries loaded per list view because only the categories that the user was interested in would be loaded on expanding, but it would still allow the entire list to be displayed on one page if the user desired. This would also prevent some redundant reloading of entries in the current implementation, because instead of constantly reloading entries by going back and forth between categories, the entries are only loaded once per view.

I like this idea.
ExiledLifeJun 13, 2010 10:20 PM
"The Original ExiledLife"

Xfire=exiled4life

Jun 13, 2010 10:21 PM
Nov 2008
Xinil said:
Some people have 2k+ entries on their lists and when "Show All" is active...it takes a huge toll on our web servers (DB not so much).

...I have never seen someone with more than 2000 entries on their list.

Anyways, you suggestion there would actually work to an extent. The total amount of entries in that section could be shown next to the section's name/title, and by clicking "show all" it would take you to a page with all the entries of the section in it.

But...would it just add to the load of the server? That is the qiuestion.
Jun 13, 2010 10:23 PM

Oct 2007
Xinil said:

Only thing i can think of is to limit the numbers of entries per section (if all 5 statuses are displayed, only show 100 or so from each).

This. So much this.

And maybe a show more option that wouldn't open a new page to do so. I've seen it done elsewhere. That way, if people wanted their list open for weeks at a time, they could do so with no issues.

Jun 13, 2010 10:24 PM
Mar 2009
Onibokusu said:
Xinil said:
Some people have 2k+ entries on their lists and when "Show All" is active...it takes a huge toll on our web servers (DB not so much).

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Saks

Jun 13, 2010 10:29 PM
Nov 2008
chinlamp said:
Onibokusu said:
Xinil said:

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Saks

Well, now I've seen one. But seriously, how many people have more than 2000 entries?
Jun 13, 2010 10:33 PM

Nov 2007
Maybe not let people with 2000+ entries have a list? :P

Xfire=exiled4life

Jun 13, 2010 10:36 PM
Mar 2009
ExiledLife said:
Maybe not let people with 2000+ entries have a list? :P

And how does that help?

Jun 13, 2010 10:39 PM

Nov 2007
Maybe set the list limit to a high number where people with smaller lists don't see a difference. Like maybe 1000 items per page?

Xfire=exiled4life

Jun 13, 2010 10:41 PM

Sep 2009
ExiledLife said:
Maybe set the list limit to a high number where people with smaller lists don't see a difference. Like maybe 1000 items per page?

Hell, even 250 would be great.

I could load my entire list and a a hundred more plan to watched with that.
Jun 13, 2010 10:42 PM

Feb 2008
mikewando said:
I really liked being able to see all of my entries on one page. If the problem is simply loading too many entries every list view, then it seems like an alteration to the "show all" option should be implemented where the categories start as "hidden/unexpanded" and then can be clicked to "expand" a category (show first 200, then click to show more). This would reduce the number of entries loaded per list view because only the categories that the user was interested in would be loaded on expanding, but it would still allow the entire list to be displayed on one page if the user desired. This would also prevent some redundant reloading of entries in the current implementation, because instead of constantly reloading entries by going back and forth between categories, the entries are only loaded once per view.
I second this idea. Sounds like a good compromise.
Jun 13, 2010 10:42 PM

Apr 2008
ExiledLife said:

That would still be a lot. How about something between 500 and 800?
Jun 13, 2010 10:43 PM

Oct 2007
@Xinil: I constantly get this msg on my animelist:
"There was a MySQL Error. The staff has been notified and is looking in to it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Query ID: 1077"
I need to refresh like 5~10 times
Jun 13, 2010 10:44 PM

Aug 2008
I believe tmth was discussing ways to make the show all list load incrementally, only as the user actually attempts to scroll down the list.

I also like the expansion idea. For example you see all the shows you are watching and the other categories are located below as in the classic show all list, however they must be expanded.

This way people who actually want to see the complete list can with a few simple clicks, and those that are just opening the list will not abuse the server unnecessarily. I think this is a great solution
hogkillJun 13, 2010 10:49 PM
I thought what i'd do was your mother
Jun 13, 2010 10:44 PM

Dec 2008
ExiledLife said:
mikewando said:

I like this idea.

I like it too. I often used categories Currently watching/reading and Completed simultaneously but now not only I can't view both categories at once but also Completed part has been split in two and it sucks. It's okay if the list starts as being all hidden or shortened but there should be an option to show it all if needed.
New profile design sucks.
Jun 13, 2010 10:45 PM

Nov 2007
I would be fine with 250 or 500. Most of my list is Plan to Watch or On Hold. I'd like to always be able to see all of my Now Watching and Completed. But the fun of having a list is to show off how long your list is.

Xfire=exiled4life

Jun 13, 2010 10:46 PM

Sep 2009
I'm still in favor of chinlamp's idea. I've said before that I don't mind the change that much (I can live with it), but since soo many people seem to be upset, I think chinlamp's idea is a reasonable middle-ground.

mikewando's idea is about the same too.

hogkill said:
I believe tmth was discussing ways to make the show all list load incrementally, only as the user actually attempts to scroll down the list.
This seems like a decent idea as well, I've seen it in action before. (though it wouldn't be the fastest way to view say your "plan to watch list"
saxophone15Jun 13, 2010 10:52 PM
Jun 13, 2010 10:46 PM

May 2008
It seems to me the problem is just about single huge queries taking too much time and resources...

I think the 'drop-down' idea has some usability issues and it a bit too much of a change. Perhaps something ajax based that fetches the next 200 entries from a 'show more' link at the bottom of each category. For example:

Completed
[200 entries]
...show more

and when you click 'show more', the rest of the list would fill in place with additional show mores as needed.

The page links are really not appropriate here in my opinion and not intuitive at all. This at least lets people get all the pages together but still limits each request to 200 entries.
sakaJun 13, 2010 10:59 PM

I am a banana.
Jun 13, 2010 10:51 PM

May 2009
Xinil said:

I like this idea.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jun 13, 2010 10:52 PM

Apr 2007
Xinil said:

And having to load another page to view all the list? wouldn't that just add more for the server to load?

Well.. I don't know anything about server load but would having it as an optional choice (like not listed in the default choices) help the server?

Jun 13, 2010 10:56 PM

Nov 2007
I would like it if the entire list, shortened or not, would remain on one page.

Xfire=exiled4life

Jun 13, 2010 11:07 PM
Nov 2009
saka said:
It seems to me the problem is just about single huge queries taking too much time and resources...

I think the 'drop-down' idea has some usability issues and it a bit too much of a change. Perhaps something ajax based that fetches the next 200 entries from a 'show more' link at the bottom of each category. For example:

Completed
[200 entries]
...show more

and when you click 'show more', the rest of the list would fill in place with additional show mores as needed.

The page links are really not appropriate here in my opinion and not intuitive at all. This at least lets people get all the pages together but still limits each request to 200 entries.

This by far sounds like the best solution to me. Particularly since I keep my list open for weeks on end, I rarely refresh or reload my list and this would stop people abusing by loading like what... 2000 entries at once?

AlphaEnd said:
Xinil said:

I like this idea.

Yeah, I like this idea too. Much better than completely eliminating the 'show all' function. I went from loading pages once a week (sometimes month) to 10 times a day, particularly changing from my 'currently watching' to 'completed' list.
Jun 13, 2010 11:09 PM
Mar 2008
I'd rather have the Grand Totals and the tag functionality back than the Show All option.
Jun 13, 2010 11:14 PM

Jul 2009
not signed user can not use Pagination

And i think it will be best to have the pagination it on top & bottom of the page.
Jun 13, 2010 11:18 PM

Oct 2009
Make Show All Optional.. so no one can set it as default.. also Add Ajax window for MORE Feature. it will help alot.. (or even if you remove. i don't mind). because for one entry More option is taking 15 lines and too less people bother to check it.. so if it load separately.. this will help alot to save server load.

Another suggestion i have.. if possible make a ajax Show More Entries pagination and instead it go to page 2 and page one entries gone.. it work like previous YOUTUBE Comment system.. where Show More option can show more comments under top comments..

so if i have a list of 300 entries.. when i go to my list. it show only 100 entries.. then i click on Show More.. it show next 100 and then one more click 300 complete list. its will work just as page 1,2.3 pagination (data will load separately).. but i will have all entries in one page after 3 clicks.
Jun 13, 2010 11:21 PM

Nov 2007
DxC3i said:
Make Show All Optional.. so no one can set it as default.. also Add Ajax window for MORE Feature. it will help alot.. (or even if you remove. i don't mind). because for one entry More option is taking 15 lines and too less people bother to check it.. so if it load separately.. this will help alot to save server load.

Another suggestion i have.. if possible make a ajax Show More Entries pagination and instead it go to page 2 and page one entries gone.. it work like previous YOUTUBE Comment system.. where Show More option can show more comments under top comments..

so if i have a list of 300 entries.. when i go to my list. it show only 100 entries.. then i click on Show More.. it show next 100 and then one more click 300 complete list. its will work just as page 1,2.3 pagination (data will load separately).. but i will have all entries in one page after 3 clicks.

I like the way that sounds.

Xfire=exiled4life

Jun 13, 2010 11:23 PM

May 2008
saka said:

Completed
[200 entries]
...show more

Hmmm.... just realized there could be some problems with my ajax 'show more' idea though.... because if you add something to your list (say in another tab) and then hit a show more link on your list, you could end up with double entries. For example, if you've loaded the first 200 entries from Ah! My Goddess through Saikano then you add Air to your list in another tab... the next batch would offset all the subsequent ajax 'page' requests and Saikano would show up a second time when you hit 'show more'.

There are ways around this also though... in fact you could just use the javascript to remove the lines with duplicate anime ids, so only the browser gets a little more work instead of mal's servers.

I am a banana.
Jun 13, 2010 11:46 PM
Mar 2009
Xinil said:

Thank you for your response Xinil and for clarifying a bit what the issue is. We were really only able to take guesses at what could be causing the load issues. Since many of us were thinking it was DB query focused, we were brainstorming around that. Not that many of the suggestions that came from that wouldn't help, it is still highly related since the web servers have to request and process the data received from the database.

Now users can focus in on that and make appropriate suggestions, though some more specific info may be required, at least now suggestions will be a step in the right directions and complaints in thread should be greatly reduced. In the meantime at least it looks like people are summarizing the ideas that came out of those 600+ posts in the announcement.

Edit: Also, thank you for increasing pagination to 250 entries in the mean time. I am still adding things to my list, just a bit lazy at the redundancy, but while I don't think i'll pass 1000 completed, I know within the next year or two I probably will, so still shooting for ideas to get a full show all list without pagination, even if it has to be loaded in segments. Keep the ideas coming guys.
ferlJun 13, 2010 11:55 PM
Jun 14, 2010 12:01 AM

Jul 2007
I just kind of scanned most of the posts, but I saw some discussion about a dropdown-like thing for each category.

If something like this is used, I would really appreciate a button (perhaps on the top bar - the one where the page numbers have been moved to) that would expand all of the categories... Because there are times where I actually have a need to see all of these categories at once (hence, show all).

Otherwise, I don't personally have any issues with expandable sections. Or whatever we're going to call them.

As for the 100 from each category, I guess I have the same underlying issue with it - this isn't exactly "showing all"; it's showing the first 100 of each piece of all. I honestly wish I could submit a useful suggestion for this, but I'm about to go to bed and would just end up rambling on in some way that would come off as negative.

And one more possible suggestion. Instead of just show all, is there a way to make it so you can select which sections appear as default on your list? For example, if this were an option, I would probably only display watching and completed by default on my list, and possibly either on-hold on plan to watch, but probably not both. I don't really feel the need to force the list of my stalled for all eternity and dropped anime onto anybody viewing my list. By doing this, you might be able to lessen the number of 2k+ lists.
atlantizaJun 14, 2010 12:11 AM

ilu Mathes. thanks for awesome Beato sig. <3
ilu mah_marina. thanks for awesome Beato icon. <3
Jun 14, 2010 12:11 AM
Feb 2010
There is an annoyance I have with the new system that anime I am *rewatching* is NOT showing up on my Currently Watching list. This is extremely annoying since to update something I am rewatching, I now have to dig in to my Completed list (which is quite lengthy) to go and update as I rewatch. This certainly is also placing undue load in the server.

Please put the Rewatching titles back where they belong under the Currently Watching section. This will save you server stress, and me some headaches. Thank you.
Jun 14, 2010 12:18 AM

May 2008
What about a caching system where the "Show All" page would be updated every week if there is at least one change in the list ?
Jun 14, 2010 12:18 AM

Oct 2009
I don't really mind it not being there, IF you put grand totals at the bottom of each page, saying how many episodes watched, days, etc. The one on our profile doesn't seem to have episodes watched, and I'm really obsessed with that...
Jun 14, 2010 12:21 AM

Apr 2007
DxC3i said:

I think I suggested this a few years ago, and I still think it would be a good move.
I haven't used the "more" thing more than one or two times, and then just to click the discuss link. So I really don't see why I have to load all that data every time I look at my list.

And I believe a 2k entry list WITHOUT the "more" data would still be less than a 200 entry list WITH the data.
Jun 14, 2010 12:24 AM

Dec 2009
I'm having the same grievance as FurukawaPan. I used to love having my entire list neatly organized into a single page... but since it seems that's no longer possible, I'm not sure there are any other options quite up to that level of user-friendliness. But I suppose sacrifices have to be made. -_-

This idea is somewhat similar to the expand-view suggestion, but what if there were a new type of page made specifically to "summarize" a user's anime collection, so to speak? Either, option one, it would only show parts of each section rather than every item in it, or option two, it would only show limited information for each title, possibly with less formatting. For example, it would just show the anime title and the episode progress the user has made. I'd personally prefer the second.

EDIT: Or if the above post's suggestion is an option I'd happily second that. I've never once used the More links, either.
Jun 14, 2010 12:43 AM
Jul 2018
I'd appreciate the old "Show all" function as an additional feature in the list, so you can optionally open your list as a whole when necessary. (Add a protection against direct access to prevent people bookmarking this page, eventually)
When the list stays usable enough, people will only use it as an exception (browser's search function etc)

and: Searching by Tags does not work at all currently (it won't until the list edits are done?)
Jun 14, 2010 12:47 AM
Jul 2008
chinlamp said:
Did no one see my suggestion other than those two guys?

EDIT: Ok, here's what I suggested in the thread made for announcing this change:

chinlamp said:
Ok, I get that no one likes this, I don't like it (as I said on page 2), but now that I think about it, everyone had these exact same problems, what, 2-3 months ago when the layout for the entire site was changed, didn't they? And we've all stopped bitching about that now, so I guess we'll get used to it.

But, no one seems happy about the lack of a show all option, and everyone seems to hate that it's all indexed on separate pages. Now, I'm no expert on coding, actually, I know nothing about it whatsoever, but Xinil said that he's gonna be
Xinil said:
Tags will be getting a rework (further down the road).

I'll also be moving the location of the page links.

so I'm wondering if there's any way to make it so that you have the separate lists in dropdown format. Ugh, not explaining myself very well here, um, let me try and do a paint thing.

*goes away for a couple minutes, comes back*

Ok, so the list, when first loaded, would look like this:

Then when the watching part was clicked, it would drop down and load the watching part only then to look like this:

Then you could click the other parts to load them all separately as well, with the option of closing the lists up or dropping them all down at once (I've gone with the dropped part of mine cos it's the smallest one):

Ok, so, it would load every part individually, as each part of the list would be on it's own little file or something, and it would only load when the drop down boxes are clicked. I'm sure I've seen this done somewhere, but I have no idea where. Surely that would have the same effect as this current update while still allowing everyone to have the ability for the show all feature? Again, I know nothing, so I can't say if it's possible to do or not, but I'm sure I've seen it done somewhere.

EDIT P.S.: And yes, I know it looks crap, I did it in 5 minutes in Paint but it gets the point across so it's good enough.

agreed in 101%.

honestly, for a day or two I thought it was all just a bug. seeing it wasn't and it is a FIX made me annoyed. high hopes it will be soon FIXed. (;
Jun 14, 2010 12:49 AM

Oct 2007
As it is right now, I'm less inclined to view my other lists. I just have a bookmark at the top of my browser, but I mostly click on it for Currently Watching and then scroll down occasionally for the rest. Now I won't feel as obligated to take a look.

I'm all for chinlamp's idea of click-and-expand lists. It's simpler, and I like that (or maybe I'm just lazy, haha) :)
Jun 14, 2010 1:23 AM

Jun 2009
Karharot said:
ExiledLife said:
mikewando said:

I like this idea.

I like it too. I often used categories Currently watching/reading and Completed simultaneously but now not only I can't view both categories at once but also Completed part has been split in two and it sucks. It's okay if the list starts as being all hidden or shortened but there should be an option to show it all if needed.

Perfect idea.
Jun 14, 2010 1:29 AM

Jan 2010
Humbak said:
Karharot said:
ExiledLife said:
mikewando said:

I like this idea.

Perfect idea.

i like it!
Jun 14, 2010 1:58 AM

Jun 2009
Xinil said:

Oh come on, and how many of them are there? http://myanimelist.net/topusers.php . Not SO many I could guess. Are those few users REALLY stress the server so much? Seems like you just try to defend a bad idea to the end. The pagination is as bad as lack of "Show all". Please consider some other options so the lists will be back to their former glory.

In the worst scenario I think a "Show More" button would be not so bad. But only if clicking it once would show the whole list + it would have a separate link that I could give to other ppl. It's still a lesser evil tho.

Xinil said:

This one's bad imo. Clicking over, and over, and OVER on a list that has for example 501 completed series IS and WILL BE super-annoing and uncomfortable.
BierzgalJun 14, 2010 2:58 AM
Jun 14, 2010 2:01 AM
Jan 2010
iwantsomesoup said:
Humbak said:
Karharot said:
ExiledLife said:
mikewando said:

I like this idea.

Perfect idea.

i like it!

Agreed, this is the best idea so far.

As a small alteraltion, I would suggest, that maybe the first 100-200 entries in every list are loaded from the start. That way, most people wouldn't even notice the difference.

The point about not having to go back and forth between categories is very good. I would go so far as to say, that server load might have increased, since we now have to reload all categories, instead of having them open in one window.
Jun 14, 2010 2:04 AM

May 2009
@mikewando's idea
That's basically Xinil's idea, but with the ability to expand/collapse. Why go through the extra trouble of collapsing the categories if they're already paginated? The "show more" thing is a neat idea though.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Jun 14, 2010 2:09 AM

Apr 2008
mikewando said:
If the problem is simply loading too many entries every list view, then it seems like an alteration to the "show all" option should be implemented where the categories start as "hidden/unexpanded" and then can be clicked to "expand" a category (show first 200, then click to show more). This would reduce the number of entries loaded per list view because only the categories that the user was interested in would be loaded on expanding, but it would still allow the entire list to be displayed on one page if the user desired.

^This

atlantiza said:
Instead of just show all, is there a way to make it so you can select which sections appear as default on your list? For example, if this were an option, I would probably only display watching and completed by default on my list, and possibly either on-hold on plan to watch, but probably not both. I don't really feel the need to force the list of my stalled for all eternity and dropped anime onto anybody viewing my list. By doing this, you might be able to lessen the number of 2k+ lists.

^And this. Being able to customize which pages to view of your list by default is better for the server than the "Show All". In the worst case, if someone defaults the five pages, it's the same as having the "Show All" active. But usually, since different people use the list in different ways, the best is to let them choose the most efficient way for their needs.

For example, I used as default "Currently Watching", "On Hold" and "Plan to Watch", that I use practically always. Now, I just open in different pages of the browser those pages: a hassle for me, and no gain for the server. By using the "Show All", I'd have to load my "Completed" page too (and that's usually the biggest list), so having just the "Show All" function would be bad.

To summarize, I think the best option is having custom default combined with the expandible lists.
Jun 14, 2010 2:20 AM

Jun 2009

At least that. And/Or as mentioned add ajax and other kinky codings to make it expand the entries' numbers by 50 or 100 each time we click "show more".
Jun 14, 2010 2:22 AM

Aug 2008
Overfiend said:
DxC3i said:

I think I suggested this a few years ago, and I still think it would be a good move.
I haven't used the "more" thing more than one or two times, and then just to click the discuss link. So I really don't see why I have to load all that data every time I look at my list.

And I believe a 2k entry list WITHOUT the "more" data would still be less than a 200 entry list WITH the data.
That is definitely the most efficient, and user-friendly way to go. I honestly didn't even know that there was a "more" button until a week ago, and its pretty much entirely useless.

And, while I hate the idea of pagination altogether, at the bare minimum there should be a link at the bottom of the page... It's so annoying scrolling back up to the top.
Jun 14, 2010 2:23 AM

Apr 2008
I would be entirely fine with any of the 'show more' options or selection of lists. I, like several other users i've seen mention, load my page once and leave it up in a tab for weeks on end, i use it to quickly ctrl+f a series to recommend someone on irc or aim, and/or to just update my watched episodes.

Personally, i've never used the more option, nor will i in the future, but others seem to, but there appears to be a lot of redundant data in it that can be found elsewhere.

If i could, i would select to remove that, if it were a column, from my list. I have nearing 500 entries, far too many plan-to-watch i know(172), but they're there to remind me if i've already looked the series up and decided it was worth watching beforehand with a quick ctrl+f, instead of going to the search and loading more pages to find out.

I couldn't care less about my dropped or on-hold series being displayed (there's probably a reason i dropped them!), but completed, watching, and plan-to-watch are the majority of listings i use often.

I haven't watched anything in the past few days, but i can imagine not getting the "Move to watching" or "move to completed" dialogues to appear to be frustrating.

Even displaying only 200 of only the three lists i would choose to display would make things workable for me.

*edit: typo
Jun 14, 2010 2:24 AM

Apr 2010
Scrap the idea of pages, and bring back Show All all in one fell swoop. Here's how:

List all the categories on one page, but by default only fetch the first 20 or so of each category, then have a button at the bottom of each: [More] and when you click that, it'd fetch and display n more entries - whatever you deem an appropriate number.

That way, you'd still be limiting the amount of requests the server has to fetch and you'd also allow people to have everything still shown on one page.

What you could also do, is only fetch the info per each entry that is visibly displayed on the list and not fetch any of the other info until an action is taken that requests it for that specific entry. That should also cut down on a lot of stress when propagating throughout the entire extent of the total entries.
Jun 14, 2010 2:29 AM

Aug 2009
That's fine, I got over the pagination. I only have one request:

PLEASE - BRING - BACK - THE - GRAND -TOTALS
Jun 14, 2010 2:34 AM

Feb 2009

It's good for me so now I'm glad... and I really don't care about others :P
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

235 by RED-clover12 »»
49 minutes ago

» List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

109 by RED-clover12 »»
49 minutes ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.