Forum Settings
Forums

Yamamoto Yutaka Works On a New TV Anime With an Otaku Critic

New
Jun 12, 2010 7:00 AM

Feb 2008
Uno Tsunehiro, a critic of subculture, disclosed in an online discussion session that anime director Yamamoto Yutaka is working on a new anime to be aired in 2011 or 2012. The original story will be written by Azuma Hiroki (English Wikipedia) and Okada Mari. Azuma Hiroki is a critic of otaku culture and the professor of Waseda University Faculty of Letters, Arts and Sciences. Azuma is well known for having defining the term Sekai-kei in "Critical Point of Bishojo Game" (2004).

Source: Video of the discussion on UStream (12:15)
dtshykJun 12, 2010 9:59 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 12, 2010 8:31 AM

Nov 2008
Uh, OK. It might be interesting, but it would be better if Yamamoto Yutaka wasn't involved in this.

I wonder how it will turn out, the details seems pretty vague. Maybe it will be an otaku-centric version of Kuchu Buranko or something to that effect.

Edit: I though it said "clinic", not "critic". It will probably be like Otaku no Video or something, only more boring.
Rosa_FOEtidaJun 12, 2010 8:39 AM
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jun 12, 2010 10:18 AM

Sep 2007
Yutaka is a very smart person, one of the best director hands down. I'm sure this will be a really well-thought work. Fresh air needed indeed.
Jun 12, 2010 10:32 AM

May 2008
This is really interesting news. I have to keep an eye on this~~
Jun 12, 2010 11:04 AM

Feb 2010
Yamamoto Yutaka sucks as a series director.

JOIN US NOW
Jun 12, 2010 11:07 AM

Apr 2008
Awesome to see Yamamoto doing a series again. Kannagi was something too great.
Something.
Jun 12, 2010 12:30 PM

Sep 2008
Dax said:
Yutaka is a very smart person, one of the best director hands down. I'm sure this will be a really well-thought work. Fresh air needed indeed.

Are you fckin' kidding me? Yutaka is the worst, crappiest, ugliest director ever. And it's not even my personal opinion but a well known fact.

He better stick with that shitty live action TV series he's currently working on and stay away from anime forever.
Jun 12, 2010 2:05 PM

Nov 2008
looking forward to it
Jun 12, 2010 2:39 PM

Apr 2008
seishi-sama said:
Dax said:

Are you fckin' kidding me? Yutaka is the worst, crappiest, ugliest director ever. And it's not even my personal opinion but a well known fact.

He better stick with that shitty live action TV series he's currently working on and stay away from anime forever.

Sounding a little butthurt there for no reason.
Something.
Jun 12, 2010 8:47 PM

Aug 2006
For a second I was confused, because I was thinking critic as in a person that campaigns against something, not as in a film / cultural critic...

(Yes, I realize those two sometimes overlap).
Jun 13, 2010 1:13 AM

Aug 2008
looks great. yamamoto ftw.
Jun 13, 2010 5:59 AM

Nov 2007
Yamamoto still sarching for attention.
But oh well, this actually sounds interesting.
Jun 13, 2010 10:53 AM

Sep 2007
seishi-sama said:
Dax said:

Then may I ask why exactly did you rate Kannagi 9? LOL

I don't know exactly why I'm replying to this bullshit but I guess that it's to give you some help.

Apart from that, of course I have no idea what u're talking about when you say 'well known fact' lolol. It is because Kyoani made him drop Lucky Star? That was definitely not an important anime and I couldn't care less. Do you realize that Endless Eight wouldn't have been that long if he was still in charge?

You might start from here:
http://behind-the.nihonreview.com/20090427/otaku-soul-an-interview-with-yamamoto-yutaka/
since that is one of the best interview I have ever read. He CLEARLY is an intelligent person who knows how and what the japanese anime industry is. And there is not a single thing he said that I disagree with.

Even the simple fact that he does not treat anime to just entertain some dumbasses (like 70% of Gonzo's works, random popular shit like Seikon no Qwaser or Strike Witches) makes him above the 80% of the directors =)
Jun 14, 2010 11:53 PM

Aug 2008
Dax said:
t is because Kyoani made him drop Lucky Star? That was definitely not an important anime and I couldn't care less. Do you realize that Endless Eight wouldn't have been that long if he was still in charge?

Lucky Star not important? It's one of the most popular anime with hardcore otakus, and most people who hate it are people who hate otakuism. In addition, Lucky Star helped generated profit due to tourism in the city of Saitama, where Lucky Star was taken place. The fact that he was fired from such an anime certainly puts a stain on his reputation. And while I hated the Endless Eight with a passion, it still generated a lot of DVD sales, from last I heard. Then, there's his emo rant on how Kannagi was so much better than Toradora awhile back.

I don't think Yamamto Yutaka sucks, but he certainly isn't the best director around. Nonetheless, he seems to be one of the directors who is more into the otaku culture than some others. Maybe this will be an interesting thing to check out.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jun 17, 2010 6:22 AM

Sep 2007
I never said that he is The best, and I don't think it, Miyazaki\Hosoda\Anno\Shinkai just for example are on a complete different planet.

Regarding Lucky Star, I don't hate it At All, why should I?
I just think that it is not an important anime at all. K-On is a really popular anime but, popularity doesn't mean anything, and of course K-On is not an important anime too.

Oh, and I didn't hate Endless Eight also. I thought it was just a bit too long, but it was a really nice idea, actually. Sales doesn't mean anything *sigh*. You may tell me that it's the sales that declare when an anime has success but, again an anime like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 which almost didn't sold 1k copies was far more rich regarding the content than Lucky Star is.

All Imho obviously =)

Oh, and I didn't know what you said about Toradora. I only read that he said "It’s just a ploy to get the light novels to sell better" which is a different critic, and of course I wouldn't be happy if he really said that "kannagi is better than Toradora"
Jun 17, 2010 5:06 PM

Aug 2008
Dax said:
I never said that he is The best, and I don't think it, MiyazakiHosodaAnnoShinkai just for example are on a complete different planet.

Alright, since judging from your previous post, you certainly did make it sound like he was one of the best.

Dax said:
Regarding Lucky Star, I don't hate it At All, why should I?
I just think that it is not an important anime at all. K-On is a really popular anime but, popularity doesn't mean anything, and of course K-On is not an important anime too.

In terms of "otaku anime", Lucky Star is very important. It is one of the most popular otaku anime (and I do find that relevant, since both you and this thread are emphasizing on the "otaku" anime part).

Dax said:
Oh, and I didn't hate Endless Eight also. I thought it was just a bit too long, but it was a really nice idea, actually. Sales doesn't mean anything *sigh*. You may tell me that it's the sales that declare when an anime has success but, again an anime like Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 which almost didn't sold 1k copies was far more rich regarding the content than Lucky Star is.

If you don't hate Endless Eight, then why did you bring it up, saying that it could have ended earlier if he was still in charge? And I do think sales speak volumes. This is an offtopic rant (and not directed at you), but for anyone who whines that moe anime or any anime lacking contents are making the big money these days, why don't you guys actually go out and BUY the anime that have content, in your views? Because it's the fans of moe/slice of life anime that are truly supporting the anime industry. The anime industry simply responds to supply and demand.

Dax said:
Oh, and I didn't know what you said about Toradora. I only read that he said "It’s just a ploy to get the light novels to sell better" which is a different critic, and of course I wouldn't be happy if he really said that "kannagi is better than Toradora"

I would dig it up if the topic wasn't so damn old, but I recall that he did compare Toradora to Kannagi in some way... which got him bashings from alot of Toradora fans here on MAL.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Jul 3, 2010 3:35 PM

Sep 2007
guyklc said:

Dax said:

If you don't hate Endless Eight, then why did you bring it up, saying that it could have ended earlier if he was still in charge? And I do think sales speak volumes. This is an offtopic rant (and not directed at you), but for anyone who whines that moe anime or any anime lacking contents are making the big money these days, why don't you guys actually go out and BUY the anime that have content, in your views? Because it's the fans of moe/slice of life anime that are truly supporting the anime industry. The anime industry simply responds to supply and demand.

Actually, I buy a lot, but I don't live in Japan, so it counts absolutely Nothing :D
I spoke about EE because even if I don't hate it, a lot of people did and I still understand them. I thought it was a funny idea, but i'm not that dumb to not see that repeating an episode so many times can be frustrating for the viewer.
I also perfectly agree with your last statement.
Infact, actually that's why I think the anime industry is going to collapse if things don't change, or at least get very niche with the moeshit. And in that case of course I would just consider it pure trash.
Still, things aren't that easy. What I mean, is that it's not like "what is not moe never sells", right?. Not at all, so it is also responsibility of the industry itself to broaden its buyers. MoeRandom ecchi doesn't, believe me. Mamoru Hosoda does. Shinkai does. And they sell a lot.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
4 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
9 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by yamiyugi101 »»
10 hours ago

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
Yesterday, 12:20 PM

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

16 by Jonas-K »»
Yesterday, 11:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.