Forum Settings
Forums

Forum: Member/Forum Ranks/Nicknames by Posts [Closed]

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 22, 2007 10:07 AM

Apr 2007
^ Yosh, its not members like Faust I worry about. We are getting huge. And noramlly when sites get big they attract those type of people. Its just a problem most sites run in to. And I would love to see MAL stay friendly.

Also: Yeah I love your sig its freaking brilliant.
Aug 22, 2007 1:03 PM

Jul 2007
I'm for it for using how much anime/manga in your list

also I don't think anyone actually takes ranks seriously at all (besides maybe a few people in this topic). it's just a fun little thing to have. I can't imagine someone actually looking down on someone because of their rank.

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
Aug 22, 2007 1:15 PM

Apr 2007
drac said:
I'm for it for using how much anime/manga in your list

also I don't think anyone actually takes ranks seriously at all (besides maybe a few people in this topic). it's just a fun little thing to have. I can't imagine someone actually looking down on someone because of their rank.

Seriously? Have you not been to many web forums? Narutomania. Narutofan. Gaia. Penny-Arcade. WoW official forums. Its the way of large masses of people. It may not seem like it could get that way but I have witnessed it on many a site.
Aug 22, 2007 1:34 PM

Jul 2007
Though I can't imagine the motivations for someone doing that either, and have never witnessed it for 'ranks' specifically (probably because I've never paid any real attention to ranks before) it is true that large amounts of people will act in this way.
It may have something to do with the human infatuation with glory...
Aug 22, 2007 1:39 PM

May 2007
Xinil said:
I was actually thinking about ranks based on "how long a person has been a member on MAL".

Agreed, because you can list all the anime you want while not really watch them only for the rank, there are too many spammers on the forums too. There are people who have been here half my time and posted 10 times as much.

accela said:
I like the idea of basing it on the anime list...

As for how it's affecting the site, don't forget that the current slogan is and has been "How much anime have you seen?"
:o

But MAL is currently looking for a new slogan. So bad idea.
Aug 22, 2007 1:41 PM

Apr 2007
Its human nature to use anything that shows you as better then others. I've seen it way to many times. I mean we have gathered 1000+ members a month and we are bound to attract those types of people + 4 chan and /b/ bottom feeders to us eventually.
Aug 22, 2007 1:59 PM

May 2007
drac said:

You wouldn't think that people would actually do that, no. But I've seen it happen on so many other forums. And it's stupid.

ZoiQ said:
Xinil said:
I was actually thinking about ranks based on "how long a person has been a member on MAL".

Agreed, because you can list all the anime you want while not really watch them only for the rank, there are too many spammers on the forums too. There are people who have been here half my time and posted 10 times as much.

Nooooooooo, it's still a bad idea, and still breeds elitism. Please, for the love of christ, no.

Sandgolem said:
we are bound to attract those types of people + 4 chan and /b/ bottom feeders to us eventually.

Unfortunately >___> we already have them. There has been/b/tarded activity here, from time to time. I don't think you can escape it. XD
Aug 22, 2007 2:03 PM

Apr 2007
ScrumYummy said:

Unfortunately >___> we already have them. There has been/b/tarded activity here, from time to time. I don't think you can escape it. XD

It has begun....

*dramatic music*
Aug 22, 2007 2:29 PM

Mar 2007
Well I haven't been on other forums as much to experience it being segregated by ranks but I can sure believe it. And I still don't see the point of having it, so I'm still against it for that reason.

*Poom poom poom* dramatic intro
Aug 22, 2007 2:46 PM

Apr 2007
Chelle said:
Zirgo said:
And i sort of bring up the question why member ranks would be important for a site like this. I know that we human beings adore ranking stuff, but still....

QFT. Why? We all agree (well most of us) that ranking based on post count is ridiculous...

...then based on amount of anime listed... well... Joe may have been watching for 10 years, whereas I only discovered anime a year ago... so Joe's list will be 10 times as big as mine... does that mean he gets a higher rank?

...then hmmm... how long you log into MAL or active (i.e. reviews, suggestions, etc)... well... some of us are students... some of us work... some of us have jobs where we can get online... some of us don't... some have nothing to do at night but anime and MAL... some have families to feed or second jobs... or night school... again... I think this is an unfair way to rank...

...how long we've been a member of MAL... well... some people have been members for over a year, but only use the list...

...Basically, I completely disagree with the whole concept of ranking...

I concur.
Aug 22, 2007 6:02 PM
May 2007
I don't think i would like a rank feature, the reasons are already said in the topic.
Something like "animes shared by users in x topic" would interest me more :D

Don't have ideas of how to implement that though, but i think its better to look to having more things in common between members, than being ranked.
a
Aug 22, 2007 7:49 PM

Jul 2007
well we shouldn't not have the ranks because of one or two hooligans

don't you have any faith in the MAL community?

and with this post my post count has increased, making me 1 post cooler than before
Aug 22, 2007 8:03 PM

Aug 2007
Stupid idea. Every time I spend any time on forums with ranking:

- I find a large subset of medium or high ranked people ignore the ones with low ranks and/or act contemtuously toward them, like they own the place.
- Frequently there's a little gang of the "regulars" who end up with nepotism-scented custom ranks
- Everyone new ends up posting untold reams of crap to boost their rank (base it on how much you've seen according to the list, and you'll end up with people adding stuff to their lists they've not seen for the same reason, mark my words)
- Us and Them mindsets and ingroup/outgroup dynamics are very much the order of the day.

Basically, ranks tell people that some of them are more important than others. It all smells very strongly of "this is our party and YOU'RE not invited" to new joiners, especially if you end up with time-based ranks that you can't hope or aspire to attain by any other method. It's one thing to display the date you joined, it's quite another to say you're better because of it. It's like how daft it is to venerate the elderly; for every sage advisor, there's a senile dotard. (I used to work in an old people's home, and let me tell you the elderly are no more deserving of veneration than anyone else =P)

Also, statistics do not equal rankings. Person A might concievably have glanced at twice the number of things I have, but be only vaguely aware of them, yet gaining a higher rank. Person B might conversely have seen half as many things as me and be much more knowledgeable about them, yet have a lower rank; the idea ignores quality of experience and articulation.

And "bragging rights"? Not that I want to attack anyone, but really, does anyone feel any need to brag about how they've seen more anime than person X? And if they really do find this an important part of their lives, does the absence of a title mean they have no right to? Please, that's a creation of marketing that needs to be ignored to death post-haste.

If I were in charge here, I'd not show join dates or post count on forums either. Make people focus on what people are saying; that's much more conducive to the common good and the friendly atmosphere round here. A good example of this working is the EuroGamer.net forum (I don't post in the forums there, just on the article comments threads, but the forum is the same format) which has a reputation as a much more critical and sensible site than most similar gaming sites. Others can get that sort of information off profiles if they're really that curious.

Please, no ranks. One thing that strikes me about this place is that it doesn't have the "regulars vs. casuals" feel of most forums, and that's really something worth retaining.
YourMessageHereAug 22, 2007 8:11 PM
Aug 22, 2007 8:09 PM

Aug 2006
Very nicely and intelligently put, YMH ^_^ Kudos!!
Aug 22, 2007 8:26 PM

Nov 2006
Sandgolem said:
ScrumYummy said:

It has begun....

*dramatic music*
DESU DESU DESU.

lol surprise, you didn't know i was a bottom feeder did you?
Aug 22, 2007 8:30 PM

Mar 2005
Sandgolem said:
ScrumYummy said:

It has begun....

*dramatic music*

hm...anonymous is watching...

now guys, i'm sure you didn't mean what you said now did you? ^^
kei-cloneAug 23, 2007 9:31 AM
Aug 23, 2007 10:29 AM

Feb 2007
boursk said:
I think we can conclude that most people (here on MAL) don't really feel like having a ranking system. The original topic suggests doing a ranking system based on anime(/manga) titles. Funny though, since we have something like this, but I guess it's not really seen as a "ranking". On the profile page we all have a part with graphs. The color of those graphs can be considered as a rank and the length your progress to the next rank. So the question is if Xinil can be bothered to give the combined result a name....

Obviously, a ranking system based on post counts are out of the question. Xinil's idea to base it on time spend on MAL (pretty much like Gamefaqs' system, where you get a point for each day you log on to the site) feels (IMHO) too similar to post counts. Even though you can't increase your "points artificially", you can't deny it's still about creating elitism.

I think however that if people really do "need" ranks, can't we just award them on certain events? The people who are admin/mods already have a rank. We can also award ranks to people who win FAL or the MAL awards. Maybe we can also make more events in the future, and add more kinds of ranks (how about awarding the person who wrote the best review/news article?).
I feel that people that won something like the MAL awards do deserve a few bragging rights (all within certain bounds of course). ;)

Oh and Chelle (yeah, kinda late reply....), I'm sorry, but your post didn't really make sense (to me). It just seems that (as you said) you just don't like ranking systems at all, and that (might) make you confused on how to look at them.
If Joe joined 5 days ago and compiled his entire list worth of 10 years of watching in MAL, he would probably have maxed out graphs on his profile page. If there would be rank based on that, he'd indeed get a higher rank than you. Is that bad?
I guess it would if he'd brag about it, but the situation is hardly different with or without ranks atm. And I do agree that ranks in general aren't really things that should be on MAL.
I still love you though. *hugs* ^^

I loved everything you said so much that I could not choose what to quote >_>

What I will comment on is: I like the idea of giving people 'ranks' or really 'awards' based on what they have done, which is what we already have.

OH and yeah chelle, Boursk is right.. Joe already has a ranking through his coloured graph thing.. heh, when I think of someone with a crazy coloured graph I think of Faust (and then a few other come to mind) so really, we kind of have a ranking in that respect anyways..
Aug 23, 2007 10:37 AM

Apr 2007
selective_yellow said:

Boursk is right.. Joe already has a ranking through his coloured graph thing.. heh, when I think of someone with a crazy coloured graph I think of Faust (and then a few other come to mind) so really, we kind of have a ranking in that respect anyways..

yeah but it isnt really a structured rank. It isnt like 'Newbie' and 'Pwn Bot 1337' people dont judge other people in that regards. In the forums most people dont even look at eachothers profiles. But with a displayable rank, that is right under your user name...people tend to take advantage of that. Again Im not saying that everyone who is in the forums now is like that. Im just saying in the future it could and probly will be used against others.
Aug 23, 2007 4:38 PM
Jun 2007
would probly be easier to have a poll on this since it seems like lot of people like nd nd others hate the idea
Aug 23, 2007 6:08 PM

Jun 2007
I think the best would be allow members to write anything they want under their usernames. It was suggested to use awards for ranks, but IMO, they could be placed on the signature.
Aug 23, 2007 6:18 PM

Mar 2007
(Theoretically) it doesn't HAVE to be right under your name on the board.....the rank could be stuffed away in the profile as well... >.>

And I do have to disagree with you that the graphs in the profile page aren't a structured rank. I mean, if that isn't, what really is? The more color it has, the higher rank you have. Each rank requires a certain amount of "points" before you can attain the next rank (which are set) and what's more, you can even see how far you've progressed towards your new rank.

So what makes the graphs more different than words? Obviously "the impact". But the question is how and why.
Your answers are "place" and "ability to judge others" (as fas as I can make up from your post). Like I said before, the place of where that rank should be displayed does not HAVE to be on the board at all. Put it in the profile and it'll have the exact same impact as the graphs.
I do agree that words can influence things a lot. That's why graphs are a better type of showing ranks. Graphs (like I explained before) can function as a rank, but still stay objective. Whereas using flattering (thus subjective) words can make Joe with his small heart feel like he's the king of the internet.
So in the end, using graphs and words as ranks are indeed different. Different in interpretation. But isn't that exactly what we want? Why stick to the (granted more common) written out ranks, when you can have objective, clean and non-provoking graphs as ranks (heck we already have them :P ).

And again, if we want ranks with words, why not make this a more positive thing and show the latest reward someone got from a MAL event? ^^
Since giving praise on things like post counts, time spend on MAL and amount of anime seen isn't really worth giving that much credit to, winning/being a finalist/being a participant in certain events is worth (even a little) praise.
And really, I can't remotely imagine that elitism would be created from showing these rewards on the boards/profile/wherever.

Let me end this with a couple of large thank you's.
First of all my thanks to sandgolem for appreciating my sig. You don't know how much that means to me (since I'm really bad with graphical designing stuff). Even though there were "only" two people who liked my sig, it does make it all worth the effort if even one person can appreciate it. ^^

And secondly SY for your nice words.
selective_yellow said:
I loved everything you said so much that I could not choose what to quote >_>
That was sweet. ^^
Aug 23, 2007 6:46 PM

Aug 2007
The graphs are stats. Stats are not ranks. Stats may say Joe has seen more anime than Chelle even though he's only been here 5 days,that is fine. Ranks say Joe is better than Chelle because of this, which is not. That is the difference, and the problem.
Aug 23, 2007 6:47 PM

Feb 2007
Wha Boursk!!

I love your signature.. I should probably nominate it for the signature awards (if I still can).. All I remember is nominating Windy.. I think I nominated Krelain.. but that was just because I wasn't sure who else to nominate (he already has enough votes, ahha)

That aside... I still agree with Boursk, and I don't think I have anything to add other than the fact that I understand Sandy's point.. and that I am not particularly into written out ranks in the forums..

and if Sandy hates that I call him that, I am sorry.. I seem to always shorten nicks with a "y" at the end >_>
Aug 23, 2007 7:15 PM

Mar 2007
YourMessageHere said:
The graphs are stats. Stats are not ranks. Stats may say Joe has seen more anime than Chelle even though he's only been here 5 days,that is fine. Ranks say Joe is better than Chelle because of this, which is not. That is the difference, and the problem.
Yes, graphs are stats. You're correct, but in this particular case, it can be interpreted as ranks (since the graph changes color when you pass certain value, it's use is exactly the same as written out ranks). It's just that graphs are objective, don't judge people (if anyone says it does, it's pretty much their own imagination) and therefore not/hardly a reason to make ruckes about.

But in the end, we agree that graphs are ok and written out ranks are not. How you or I interpret them doesn't really matter, except when you would like some kind of rank, but are stuck since you don't acknowledge graphs as ranks and written out ranks give birth to elitism.
But since I haven't heard/read you say/type that, I think we can let this rest (for now).

selective_yellow said:
I love your signature.. I should probably nominate it for the signature awards (if I still can).. All I remember is nominating Windy.. I think I nominated Krelain.. but that was just because I wasn't sure who else to nominate (he already has enough votes, ahha)
Whee~~! Another person who likes my sig! *glomps SY* ^^
But wha...? Signature awards?! There's a thing like a signature award... o.O
Ugh. That's what you get when you're not into graphical design.... I'm completely neglecting threads and events like that. >.<

*goes to take a look*
Aug 24, 2007 8:27 AM

May 2007
boursk said:
the king of the internet.

I suggest that we forget ranks and just appoint a King of the Internet.

XD

But for serious, I like a lot of what you said :) I'm against ranks, but displaying awards doesn't bother me, since that's something that people deserve.
Aug 26, 2007 3:21 PM

Feb 2007
awards ftw!

and Boursk.. you didn't know there was a signature award? HAHA.

you've even been nominated a few times! =P
Aug 29, 2007 2:05 PM

May 2007
windy said:
Sandgolem said:
ScrumYummy said:

It has begun....

*dramatic music*
DESU DESU DESU.

lol surprise, you didn't know i was a bottom feeder did you?

All stay way from windy, don't feed windy! 8D
Sep 7, 2008 2:31 PM

Jan 2008
I think a rank system would be cool. Like when you reach a certain amounts of posts you are a certain rank.
Sep 7, 2008 2:45 PM

Mar 2007
Sorry, this has been denied a number of times already. Problems like creating elitism and promoting spam give this suggestion a very low chance of being implemented.
Sep 7, 2008 3:02 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
A chance of 0 to be exact.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 7, 2008 3:05 PM

Sep 2007
Hey now, let's not turn this into what Nintendo Nsider was m'kay?
Sep 7, 2008 3:08 PM

Apr 2007
Why don't you just give me the title of king and get it over with. Cyruz can be my mistress.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2008 3:24 PM
Aug 2007
Neverender said:
Why don't you just give me the title of king and get it over with. Cyruz can be my mistress.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, no.
Sep 7, 2008 3:34 PM

Nov 2007
Neverender said:
I lol'd

I'll be the joker then.
Sep 7, 2008 3:37 PM

May 2007
Ranking usually implemented to encourage users to post more, in the same time promotes spamming. MAL is already the biggest anime social networking site from the main site's feature itself, so there's no need for forum rankings.
Sep 7, 2008 4:11 PM

Apr 2007
Fuck the haters, I made myself king. Cyruz, fetch me my pimp cane.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2008 4:13 PM

Jan 2008
Neverender said:

Title of a King was suggested by ZinnKid in one of his clubs for Xinil (though he took his suggestion back).

Demon said:
I think a rank system would be cool. Like when you reach a certain amounts of posts you are a certain rank.

You want to show off that your bankai is cooler? BTW Ichigo doesn't have a rank in Gotei.
Sep 7, 2008 4:30 PM

Jan 2008
Owe okay sorry, I didn't know. A Mod can lock this or whatever.
Sep 7, 2008 4:31 PM

Sep 2007
Demon said:
Owe okay sorry, I didn't know. A Mod can lock this or whatever.

Do what Neverender did if you want a rank.
Sep 7, 2008 4:40 PM

Jan 2008
Kuronoa said:

Do what Neverender did if you want a rank.

haha, I haven't payed attention at first to his/her avatar.
Sep 7, 2008 4:48 PM

Apr 2007
yeah well you better get used to paying attention since I'm the emperor now
Sep 7, 2008 4:51 PM
Aug 2007
What happened to being Ice King?
Sep 7, 2008 4:53 PM

Apr 2007
Who says I can't be two kinds of king?
Sep 7, 2008 5:09 PM
Aug 2007
I do.
Sep 7, 2008 5:17 PM

Apr 2007
Who do you think you are, my wife? I'll conquer as many kingdoms as I please, if you know what I mean.
Sep 7, 2008 5:42 PM
Aug 2007
No, I don't know what you mean nor do I want to find out.
Sep 7, 2008 5:47 PM

Apr 2007
Don't lie, you know exactly what I mean.
Sep 7, 2008 6:13 PM
Aug 2007
I said I don't know. But I do know that Cyruz is going to prove that his kingdom is elitist to yours by coming in here with his magik stick and clean sweeping each and every one of your posts.
Sep 7, 2008 6:16 PM

Apr 2007
I say, you just had to make a new page. Now I have to make this one as awesome as the first. What a hassle.

Anyway, my mistress Cyruz would never do such a thing.

edit: Cyruz if you delete the first page, it is OVER.
NeverenderSep 7, 2008 6:56 PM
Jul 2, 2010 11:33 AM
Dec 2009
Would be awesome if we got forum ranks
Something like this ( Just an forexample )
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Introduce a "lost media" tag to titles

_cjessop19_ - Mar 22

6 by Kwanthemaster »»
5 hours ago

» Sort list by date added

Profaneprayer - Mar 12, 2019

17 by Alexioos95 »»
11 hours ago

» Way of setting all titles to the English version by default

skyblade743 - Apr 9

5 by skyblade743 »»
Today, 8:16 AM

» Blocked function is kinda poor?

zech - Yesterday

4 by JKKH »»
Yesterday, 6:01 PM

» Remove Ignored Topics From Recent Anime Discussion Panel

PlasticRobot - Mar 23

2 by PlasticRobot »»
Yesterday, 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.