Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 11, 2010 11:26 AM
Jul 2008
I watched AS with a few of my friends and I've talked to other fans who have watched it and some of them claim that the ending where Nagisa comes back to life was too unrealistic or were confused about it. Thought I'd start this thread to see what you guys thought of it.

My interpretation of it was that I guess that all the events after Nagisa dying were like a dream(?) or parallel world or something along those lines and after Tomoya collected the orbs of happiness or something he was able to save Nagisa? Lol after typing that out it sounds dumb but I remember there being something special with the orbs in both the anime and VN.
For more games, anime and random rants, check out my blog at www.muffin9124.wordpress.com
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 11, 2010 11:50 AM
Sep 2009
The whole concept of Nagisa and Ushio's illness being tied together with something is unrealistic. Still, I view the whole series as a Romantic Fantasy, thus as such, I am willing to suspend good deal of realism if it can give some poignant emotional response.
Jun 11, 2010 1:34 PM

Mar 2010
Personally, Nagisa's and Ushio's illness was making me bang my head and thinking "Man, House would be tearing those doctors apart for being so useless" XD.....I watch too much House.

Anyway, however the ending worked, and the Illusionary World and all that, yes, duh, it's not realistic. Neither is girls being "ghosts" while the body is in a coma. The point is: who cares? Heck, go watch Kanon; it's got a whole lot of 'unrealistic' stuff. The thing is, they're good stories anyways, and that's all that matters, right? Just good, loving, heartwarming stories that you need tissues to mop up your tears afterward XD.
Jun 11, 2010 4:45 PM

Apr 2009
I've watched movies with more unrealistic endings and people still like them.
so no, I'm ok as long as the okazaki family is alive and together. I wouldn't have liked a bittersweet end for this show either. and remember, happy ends is the true end.
Jun 11, 2010 5:03 PM

Jun 2008
maglor1 said:
The whole concept of Nagisa and Ushio's illness being tied together with something is unrealistic. Still, I view the whole series as a Romantic Fantasy, thus as such, I am willing to suspend good deal of realism if it can give some poignant emotional response.
Boom baby.
Jun 11, 2010 11:51 PM

Nov 2009
May I share my point of view coming from the Visual Novel. In the visual novel the difference between the good ending and the bad ending is a choice. Do you shout to nagisa on the ´farewell slope´or do you not. You do however need to finish the bad ending to be able to finish the good one. T9o shorten this in the anime they simply made Tomoya go bac in time.

Secondly some information from the paralel world was lost in the adaption. In the VN the link between the lights is very distinctly made and it is hinted to a very large degree that the doll is tomoya. Another part that is hinted upon is that the illness of Nagisa and Ushio s linked to the girl in one way or another thus when the girl died the illnes disappeared.

I believe that because Tomoya gatherd so many lights he was able to do a large wish and go back in time to the point that Nagisa gave birth. AS the girl was dead then the illness also didin´t exist, having Nagisa survive.
Jun 14, 2010 1:00 PM
Jul 2008
After I watched the Anime I basically just thought that Nagisa dying and the follow events of AS were something of a parallel dimension that Tomoya experiences to amke him realize the true importance of family and ect. After Tomoya learns these lessons (an example being him forgiving his Dad) he's transported back to the "real world" where Nagisa lives and thats the end.

This changed a little after playing the VN where I just thought of the orbs that were collected at the end of every arc as away to measure how much Tomoya has learned about life.

While I generally agree with the way Key ended it, I think that it would have maybe been better just to have the events of AS happen with the exception of Ushio having the same sickness as Nagisa because that just seemed like overkill (or at least to me in my emotionally fragile state while watching Clannad (!_!)
For more games, anime and random rants, check out my blog at www.muffin9124.wordpress.com
Jun 16, 2010 2:37 PM

Oct 2009
Well its unrealistic but heck who cares ?

Anime: The anime had a real sad twist and then we saw the despair. Tomoya had to deal with a lot of different stuff and really suffered a lot. I think that was really awesome
and he deserves a happy end

Game: Gawd it was fun collection those lights and that's what makes it awesome <3
Jul 1, 2010 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
I agree that Okazaki Tomoyo should recieve some award for being extremely depressed. Would Nagisa and Ushio's sickness be like the statement "like mother like daughter"? In this society (in modern times) we don't really see hereditary status as a problem meaning that someone's rep is not totally determined by his/her family, relatives, or friends but other people still feel differently.
Sep 2, 2010 7:39 AM

Aug 2010
i really hate the ending.. or perhaps seriously dissatisfied is a good word (because I do like it as a fan, but I am disappointed by it) Yes there's the "unrealistic" factor but like many said, its countered by the fact that it's a fantasy genre. However, I do wish that the anime EXPLAINED a bit more throughly on how they reached that end. At least the game explains it with the lights and whatnots.

But honestly, I wish it didn't end that way though. I know a lot of people are like "tomoya deserves a happy end after what's he's been through" but I always thought the point of Clannad (one of its many) was that characters go through hardships in life but we have to learn how to "walk up that hill" with whoever is around us. And so it was disappointing that the anime chose to "rewind" all his hardships and just give him a happy ending. I mean take Kotomi for instance, it's not like her parents came back to life after she's learned of "despair" I really think it makes the whole thing unfair. I mean why is it that some gets those types of "dreams" and others only receive "reality?" Because that's life? That statement would be a contradiction of its own considering the reason most people support the ending of Clannad is because it's fantasy.

And it undervalues his development after Nagisa's death which I think is a huge plus in AS (and one of the reasons I really like AS) since it makes everything that has happened before into basically a "dream" more or less. Like learning how to cope with death, establishing a mutual understanding with his father.. etc And while he still learns since he has dreamed of it all, but honestly, who can say that you learn more when you dreamt about something than when you're actually going through the problem? Basically by "rewinding" back to ushio's birth scene, I think a part of his character development is also "rewinded" which is a tragedy on its own IMO.

Personally, the series should have ended when Tomoya learned of that he was the only one who could protect Ushio's small hands. OR he learned to somehow cope with both deaths with the help of his friends. it it ended the second way, I think it would have greatly emphasized the theme that family isn't just made up of your blood relations but those who care/love about you around you.

And yeah, it is a fantasy genre.. but for all the other routes, fantasy element was only used as a necessity for the development of the plot (like fuuko's route and that was because her route couldn't have been made in the first place if it wasn't incorporated) but what did reviving nagisa & ushio do for the plot exactly? IMO nothing except to give tomoya and the fans a happy end. I think of the happy end more due to making the fans happy than as an ending that truly wrapped up all the themes and goodies in Clannad.
appleadaySep 2, 2010 7:43 AM
disclaimer: i don't own any of the graphics/pictures.
Nov 23, 2014 8:59 PM

Jul 2014
All i want to say is the ending could've been better
Feb 21, 2015 10:05 PM

Nov 2014
I have to say that I thought the ending was perfect! However, alot of people didn't fully understand why it ended the way that it did. Here is a complete explanation. (I'm kind of a super fan lol)

IW - Illusionary World
CV - ClannadVerse (Clannad Universe)

This is basically the explanation:

* 1. Akio runs to the big tree in the mystical open plain and makes a wish to save Nagisa. The Town grants him
this miracle by using the light orbs within the IW to save her. But in turn, this binds her life to the town.
In a way, the IW now "feeds off" from Nagisa's attachments towards the town, resulting in her fragile health.

* 2. Tomoya and Nagisa meet and fall in love. This unintentionally causes Nagisa's attachment to shift from the Town
towards Tomoya, as a result, the IW would "extract" the lifeforce from Nagisa in order to maintain its existence.
(Before Akio made the contract, the IW had always been just a container for the light orbs. )

* 3. Nagisa dies, and Ushio inherits Nagisa's contract with the Town.

* 4. Ushio dies.

* 5. Due to her unique existence with the IW, and her subconscious will to save her mother (this is mostly speculated),
Ushio is reborn in the IW and binds her will to it. Though she loses her memories in CV.

* 6. Tomoya, either through death (from grief, suicide?) or through a very strong will, also arrives in the IW,
as a light orb (also losing his memories in CV).

* 7. Ushio sensed an orb that somehow seems more sentient than the others, and thus creates a body for that orb
(Tomoya/the Robot).

* 8. Both Ushio and the Robot begin their life in IW.

* 9. The Robot somehow remembers something, but can't exactly place what it is, and is compelled to want to take Ushio
out of the IW. As Ushio's will integrates even more with the IW, winter arrives.

* 10. Ushio now remembers part of her memories in CV and her desire to save her mother.

* 11. Ushio tells the Robot (Tomoya) about the light orbs, and sends him back in time, back to when Tomoya first met
Nagisa, in order to collect as many orbs as possible.

* 12. Tomoya returns to that point in CV, but loses his memories in IW. Ushio becomes one with the IW,
collecting the orbs as Tomoya receives them in various alternate timelines.

* 13. In the various alternate realities (as seen in the game, and in the DVD special episode 24,
where Tomoya ends up with Tomoyo instead), Tomoya collects the various light orbs for every happiness he,
or someone else he helps, attains.

* 14. Ushio in turns receives them, and "resets" the world to that point for every orb collected so that
Tomoya may go and collect more. As there are more orbs, the IW regains its ability to sustain itself.

* 15. And finally, Tomoya enters the timeline we see in the anime, where he meets and marries Nagisa.
Nagisa still dies in this timeline, but he still manages to collect a few more orbs before coming to CV Ushio's death.

* 16. As Tomoya now collected quite a lot of orbs, IW Ushio is now able to perform the miracle by sending
Tomoya back to when CV Ushio is born, and with the power of the orbs, saves Nagisa's life again.

* 17. As history has been altered, the Ushio born in this CV is considered a different person than IW Ushio
(though their souls are linked, think Tsubasa Chronicle for this one, i.e. same soul, different bodies).

* 18. Due to the family love created by the Okazakis, the IW is able to sustain itself, and CV Ushio no longer falls ill.

* 19. Her task completed, IW Ushio travels back to CV, where her soul "fuses" with CV Ushio, and she is found sleeping
under the tree, where Fuuko (from her residual memory from previous timelines) manages to find and befriend her.
Feb 22, 2015 8:43 PM

Feb 2015
Keiichi222 said:
I have to say that I thought the ending was perfect! However, alot of people didn't fully understand why it ended the way that it did. Here is a complete explanation. (I'm kind of a super fan lol)

IW - Illusionary World
CV - ClannadVerse (Clannad Universe)

This is basically the explanation:

* 1. Akio runs to the big tree in the mystical open plain and makes a wish to save Nagisa. The Town grants him
this miracle by using the light orbs within the IW to save her. But in turn, this binds her life to the town.
In a way, the IW now "feeds off" from Nagisa's attachments towards the town, resulting in her fragile health.

* 2. Tomoya and Nagisa meet and fall in love. This unintentionally causes Nagisa's attachment to shift from the Town
towards Tomoya, as a result, the IW would "extract" the lifeforce from Nagisa in order to maintain its existence.
(Before Akio made the contract, the IW had always been just a container for the light orbs. )

* 3. Nagisa dies, and Ushio inherits Nagisa's contract with the Town.

* 4. Ushio dies.

* 5. Due to her unique existence with the IW, and her subconscious will to save her mother (this is mostly speculated),
Ushio is reborn in the IW and binds her will to it. Though she loses her memories in CV.

* 6. Tomoya, either through death (from grief, suicide?) or through a very strong will, also arrives in the IW,
as a light orb (also losing his memories in CV).

* 7. Ushio sensed an orb that somehow seems more sentient than the others, and thus creates a body for that orb
(Tomoya/the Robot).

* 8. Both Ushio and the Robot begin their life in IW.

* 9. The Robot somehow remembers something, but can't exactly place what it is, and is compelled to want to take Ushio
out of the IW. As Ushio's will integrates even more with the IW, winter arrives.

* 10. Ushio now remembers part of her memories in CV and her desire to save her mother.

* 11. Ushio tells the Robot (Tomoya) about the light orbs, and sends him back in time, back to when Tomoya first met
Nagisa, in order to collect as many orbs as possible.

* 12. Tomoya returns to that point in CV, but loses his memories in IW. Ushio becomes one with the IW,
collecting the orbs as Tomoya receives them in various alternate timelines.

* 13. In the various alternate realities (as seen in the game, and in the DVD special episode 24,
where Tomoya ends up with Tomoyo instead), Tomoya collects the various light orbs for every happiness he,
or someone else he helps, attains.

* 14. Ushio in turns receives them, and "resets" the world to that point for every orb collected so that
Tomoya may go and collect more. As there are more orbs, the IW regains its ability to sustain itself.

* 15. And finally, Tomoya enters the timeline we see in the anime, where he meets and marries Nagisa.
Nagisa still dies in this timeline, but he still manages to collect a few more orbs before coming to CV Ushio's death.

* 16. As Tomoya now collected quite a lot of orbs, IW Ushio is now able to perform the miracle by sending
Tomoya back to when CV Ushio is born, and with the power of the orbs, saves Nagisa's life again.

* 17. As history has been altered, the Ushio born in this CV is considered a different person than IW Ushio
(though their souls are linked, think Tsubasa Chronicle for this one, i.e. same soul, different bodies).

* 18. Due to the family love created by the Okazakis, the IW is able to sustain itself, and CV Ushio no longer falls ill.

* 19. Her task completed, IW Ushio travels back to CV, where her soul "fuses" with CV Ushio, and she is found sleeping
under the tree, where Fuuko (from her residual memory from previous timelines) manages to find and befriend her.

An interesting explanation. Perhaps too complex for my pedestal of prime Clannad explanations. It blew my mind, all the same.

I'm conflicted with the ending. It's not realistic in any way, but, for me, it adds to the fantasy theme of Clannad. Clannad wasn't designed to be realistic. It incorporated realistic themes, but it's conclusively a fantasy/romance/drama story.

Ultimately, I see the masterful writing behind the ending and all the foreshadowing to it. The ending wasn't a cop-out; it was planned from the beginning. So many themes surround the ending that any sort-comings that go with it are rebuked. Well, for me, at least.
Feb 23, 2015 7:14 PM

Feb 2010
Every key series is unrealistic.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2015 4:07 PM

Sep 2014
Muffer-Nyan said:
May I share my point of view coming from the Visual Novel. In the visual novel the difference between the good ending and the bad ending is a choice. Do you shout to nagisa on the ´farewell slope´or do you not. You do however need to finish the bad ending to be able to finish the good one. T9o shorten this in the anime they simply made Tomoya go bac in time.

Secondly some information from the paralel world was lost in the adaption. In the VN the link between the lights is very distinctly made and it is hinted to a very large degree that the doll is tomoya. Another part that is hinted upon is that the illness of Nagisa and Ushio s linked to the girl in one way or another thus when the girl died the illnes disappeared.

I believe that because Tomoya gatherd so many lights he was able to do a large wish and go back in time to the point that Nagisa gave birth. AS the girl was dead then the illness also didin´t exist, having Nagisa survive.
Ok, so now I have to read the VN.. :p
Mar 22, 2015 8:26 PM
Sep 2014
I have finished only Misae route and i have to say that anime is pretty good adaptation of VN. Well, they did put other routes as an episode or as OVA, details how they came to that might be shorter and different but they are there . I plan to finish all routes after they release new version. Cant wait
Dec 29, 2021 2:01 PM

Mar 2020
Yeah it is of course, but the anime is tagged as Supernatural so...

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Huge directory of Clannad wallpapers

Malus92 - Sep 24, 2012

3 by KingOfPneumos »»
Feb 12, 8:38 AM

» How many males except me has Clannad as nr1 anime? ( 1 2 )

martver - Sep 2, 2012

64 by desu_ruka »»
Feb 12, 2023 10:16 PM

» when it was released

Kradaxe - Dec 25, 2021

4 by Kradaxe »»
Feb 13, 2022 8:17 PM

» Clannad vs Kanon vs Air TV

Tutti_Love - Dec 22, 2007

17 by Endless_end »»
Dec 29, 2021 2:09 PM

Poll: » Favourite anime arc in Clannad ( 1 2 3 )

game8910 - Mar 22, 2008

113 by Endless_end »»
Dec 29, 2021 2:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.