Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 11:29 AM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011

So I just finished reading the manga a couple hours ago. I know I'm coming at this a bit emotionally charged, but I just wanted to get my thoughts and feelings out there as well as hear what you have to say.

First, a little about my history with Elfen Lied. I originally watched the anime in 2007 (I have seen it in full a total of 12 times) so I have had a lot of time to gestate my feelings on that. It was very formative for me in high school and was among the shows that spurred my love of anime.

This is the last warning, this thread will deal heavily with the ending of the manga!

Discussion:

divlyfeinJun 1, 11:42 AM
Jun 1, 1:25 PM

Jul 2023
No, I read Elfen Lied last year and I remember not feeling entirely satisfied with the sort of open ending that the author wrote. Lucy didn't deserve her grim fate... After all she went through, she should have lived. Most of her violent moments come from misunderstandings or legitimate defense from what I can remember.
Jun 1, 4:33 PM

Jul 2015
Ok, rant time, because I've seen this so many times, that it actually pisses me off.

People saying that "Lucy deserves better" are either naive, did not paid attention or are straight up psychopaths. I have no idea how more throughal author could have conveyed that she is irredeemably evil even for Diclonius standard and you are NOT supposed to root for her. Just because she had it somewhat tough in life is absolutely no excuse to conducting such evil and we have Nana as an example and Lucy would be capable of that as well, which is proven by her supposed love towards Kouta, who is totally human and how she never tried to kill him. Kouta knew this, which is why he told her in the face what he thinks about her at the end and the only reason why he hesitated from finishing her off, is because it would mean killing off Nyu and Kaede as well.
It seriously needs to stop, that people see a story from a character's point of view and suddenly belive that they are incapable of doing evil because audience synsptises with them. Author clearly tired to combat this by having Lucy brutally murder an innocent, moe girl in the very first scene, out of spite, but I guess it wasn't too effective.
It honestly reminds me of that "Carrie" movie.
And no, Kouta NEVER loved Lucy. Quite the opposite. As I pointed out earlier, he despises her.
It is necessary to understand the difference between her three personalities.
- Nyu is developed at the start of the series. She is the most timid, calm and amiable.
- Kaede used to also be timid and calm before bullies killed the puppy. After that her behaviour was on line with a regular Diclonius.
- Lucy personality developed during the festival after seeing Kouta with Yuka. She is the most violent, ruthless and misanthropic, even for Diclonius standard. It is assumed that Lucy persona consumed Kaede, because the latter does not appear again as if it was character development.
Kouta did not had a single positive memory regarding Lucy. He meet her first when she murdered his family and all of his happy moments were with Nyu, actually.
She is IRREDEEMABLY evil. Case closed.
PiromyslJun 7, 3:16 PM

Jun 5, 1:33 PM
Jan 2020
divlyfein said:

So I just finished reading the manga a couple hours ago. I know I'm coming at this a bit emotionally charged, but I just wanted to get my thoughts and feelings out there as well as hear what you have to say.

First, a little about my history with Elfen Lied. I originally watched the anime in 2007 (I have seen it in full a total of 12 times) so I have had a lot of time to gestate my feelings on that. It was very formative for me in high school and was among the shows that spurred my love of anime.

This is the last warning, this thread will deal heavily with the ending of the manga!

Discussion:

I read it many years ago but I still remember it was so emotional, it was sad but I really liked it a lot, mamy good stories end with the 'bad ending'
Jun 7, 10:44 AM
Apr 2020
Piromysl said:
Ok, rant time, because I've seen this so many times, that it actually pisses me off.

People saying that "Lucy deserves better" are either naive, did not paid attention or are straight up psychopaths. I have no idea how more throughal author could have conveyed that she is irredeemably evil even for Diclonius standard and you are NOT supposed to root for her. Just because she had it somewhat tough in life is absolutely no excuse to conducting such evil and we have Nana as an example and Lucy would be capable of that as well, which is proven by her supposed love towards Kouta, who is totally human and how she never tried to kill him. Kouta knew this, which is why he told her in the face what he thinks about her at the end and the only reason why he hesitated from finishing her off, is because it would mean killing off Nyu and Kaede as well.
It seriously needs to stop, that people see a story from a character's point of view and suddenly they are incapable of doing evil because audience synsptises with them. Author clearly tired to combat this by having Lucy brutally nurser an innocent, moe girl in the very first scene, but I guess it wasn't too efrectife.
It honestly reminds me of that "Carrie" movie.
And no, Kouta NEVER loved Lucy. Quite the opposite. As I pointed out earlier, he despises her.
It is necessary to understand the difference between her three personalities.
- Nyu is developed at the start of the series. She is the most timid, calm and amiable.
- Kaede used to also be timid and calm before bullies killed the puppy. After that her behaviour was on line with a regular Diclonius.
- Lucy personality developed during the festival after seeing Kouta with Yuka. She is the most violent, ruthless and misanthropic, even for Diclonius standard. It is assumed that Lucy persona consumed Kaede, because the latter does not appear again as if it was character development.
Kouta did not had a single positive memory regarding Lucy. He meet her first when she murdered his family and all of his happy moments were with Nyu, actually.
She is IRREDEEMABLY evil. Case closed.

Lucy IS Kaede but okay. I think you’re talking about the manifestation “DNA” voice.

More topics from this board

» The Elfenlied

passing_through - Feb 24

5 by XpldFrFantasyLnd »»
Mar 29, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Chapter 87 Discussion

ricardocsc - Aug 3, 2012

7 by passing_through »»
Feb 25, 7:20 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Chapter 75 Discussion

ricardocsc - Aug 3, 2012

10 by passing_through »»
Feb 25, 5:49 PM

» The Harem Side of the story

Buddy2604 - Aug 20, 2022

7 by Detaramei »»
Feb 25, 10:49 AM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Chapter 64 Discussion

ricardocsc - Aug 1, 2012

3 by passing_through »»
Feb 24, 7:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.