Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 11:34 AM

Feb 2016
Over the past few weeks, I have seen the scores of obscure anime increase significantly. I found a stack documenting the phenomenon, and I have observed similar increases in other titles not found on the stack.
https://myanimelist.net/stacks/44765
As I check each title's stats, I see the new scores do not correspond to votes from new viewers. The whole thing is quite confusing. I previously posted this on another board, but I think the Anime DB board is more appropriate for a thread about the anime database.
LucifrostMay 16, 4:34 PM
その目だれの目?
May 23, 8:54 PM

Feb 2016
These anime have suddenly all returned to their low scores.
その目だれの目?
May 23, 11:51 PM
Apr 2009
Huh. I had been assuming the weird boosts over the past months in particular were just score manipulation by bots and duplicate accounts, and the changes MAL just did probably did address just some bots and duplicates, but if a lot of the score changes didn't correspond to votes in many cases, perhaps there was a glitch?
May 24, 12:49 AM

Apr 2010
There are two factors that could be at play here that may explain the changes to scores without the number of members/votes changing much :
- MAL ruling out more accounts as "fake" (they'll show up in the overall stats, but won't be counted)
- MAL tinkering with the hidden "minimum number of votes" parameter in score calculation - if you look at the formula, you'll see it pushes low-vote-count entries towards the overall mean.

Since both of these factors are hidden from public view, we can only guess what's going on.
May 24, 3:01 AM

Mar 2023
It would seem like shows with low number of votes got hit harder by this change, most shows with less than 10k votes lost between 0.05 and 0.1 while popular shows scores didn't change, just an observation
May 24, 3:03 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to watsym
It would seem like shows with low number of votes got hit harder by this change, most shows with less than 10k votes lost between 0.05 and 0.1 while popular shows scores didn't change, just an observation
@watsym I've seen one manga with over 1k votes that lost exactly 0.42. That's... harsh I'd say.
May 24, 3:07 AM
Aug 2016
The root cause was almost certainly due to botting with private lists. All shows majorly affected by this have had a steady and much quicker than usual growth in users since ca. mid April that coincided with their similarly steady score rises. Since these accounts do not show up in the recent updates, it's only really detectable by continuously tracking score and user count. The amount of bots is in the range of ca. 300, so it didn't have much of an effect on popular shows, but it heavily impacted obscure shows (particularly older ones, whoever is commanding the bots is using a set of lists that is primarily composed of old shows). The biggest change that I'm aware of was Game Tengoku, which jumped from 5.6 to 7.2, and a couple dozen shows had jumps in the range of 1 full rating point.

People have been tracking this data and have reported it to MAL a while ago, so I assume they've figured out a way to filter out these bots specifically.
May 24, 3:17 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to Darkerplayer
The root cause was almost certainly due to botting with private lists. All shows majorly affected by this have had a steady and much quicker than usual growth in users since ca. mid April that coincided with their similarly steady score rises. Since these accounts do not show up in the recent updates, it's only really detectable by continuously tracking score and user count. The amount of bots is in the range of ca. 300, so it didn't have much of an effect on popular shows, but it heavily impacted obscure shows (particularly older ones, whoever is commanding the bots is using a set of lists that is primarily composed of old shows). The biggest change that I'm aware of was Game Tengoku, which jumped from 5.6 to 7.2, and a couple dozen shows had jumps in the range of 1 full rating point.

People have been tracking this data and have reported it to MAL a while ago, so I assume they've figured out a way to filter out these bots specifically.
@Darkerplayer
primarily composed of old shows

seasonal shows got just as affected after the recent change
May 24, 4:12 AM
Aug 2016
@watsyn
seasonal shows got just as affected after the recent change

From my observations it was primarily old shows, but that may be bias since the effect would naturally be much more noticeable on old shows with normally low user numbers and user gain and relatively stable scores that are suddenly inflating, to the point where you'd notice just by looking at the score (Next Senki Ehrgeiz going to over 6 when it was a lock-in for the list of lowest rated full length TV anime previously was one of the giveaways for me).
The effect was also much less detectable on seasonals with their rapidly growing user bases and already fluctuating scores, so it was close to undetectable outside of MAL admin data before the scores were reverted. The score changes on seasonals are also bigger than I expected (I thought there'd be no effect so didn't check previously), but that's likely because I overestimated the number of scores on airing seasonals.

Anyway, unless MAL staff or someone who has more detailed data (like the score progression club) has more info to add, this is probably as far as we'll go - some kind of botting with private lists that is now being filtered out.
May 24, 4:16 AM
Apr 2024
Tbh I think it is just another MAL's fcked up change. Look at that. Top 5 of all time. Is that novel really THAT goated? Would be better to leave the scores as they were instead of unnecessarily meddling.
18927May 24, 5:15 AM
May 24, 4:50 AM

Jan 2017
18927 said:
Look at that. Top 5 of all time. Is that novel really THAT goated?

He's almost unanimously loved by fans of Chinese stories (especially Wuxia and Boys Love), and the official English translations are best sellers, listed by the New York Times... Hate it or question it all you want, it somehow really is up there.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 24, 5:06 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to Alexioos95
18927 said:
Look at that. Top 5 of all time. Is that novel really THAT goated?

He's almost unanimously loved by fans of Chinese stories (especially Wuxia and Boys Love), and the official English translations are best sellers, listed by the New York Times... Hate it or question it all you want, it somehow really is up there.
@Alexioos95 And yet it was ranked #28 in March. That's quite a boost. I don't really care anyway, was just curious if it's good.
May 24, 5:37 AM

Jan 2017
18927 said:
And yet it was ranked #28 in March.

Yeah, with less than 4.000 members. As the scores a weighted, such low popularity brings down the score down quite a lot (it was at 8.84).
So MAL changed either the requirement of members for the calculation, or the script to detect bots. (Edit : It's said to be about the bots ?)
Alexioos95May 24, 5:41 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 24, 7:01 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Darkerplayer

@Darkerplayer
Thank you so much for providing a plausible explanation! A mod locked the last thread I made to draw attention to this issue, and I worried nothing else would be done.
その目だれの目?

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8759 by Barbaduk »»
Yesterday, 5:56 AM

» GIRLS’F1ST!!!!GT

GinIonSui - May 25

7 by GinIonSui »»
May 30, 4:47 PM

» Flipnote warriors/Ugomemo Senshi

Silverlight41 - May 28

3 by Silverlight41 »»
May 30, 12:00 PM

» jojo add

Eldencheese - May 30

0 by Eldencheese »»
May 30, 11:10 AM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

711 by Stormy_77 »»
May 28, 9:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.