Forum Settings
Forums

Dai Sato (Ergo Proxy, Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop) Video Interview

New
Apr 30, 3:53 AM
Feb 2022
Sabukaru a magazine did an interview with Dai Sato on their IG page - its also
posted on Youtube - might be worth a look as he talks about his past, screenwriting process (you get to
see Ergo Proxy storyboards) and the present.

IG Post text;

"Screenwriting your Favorite Anime Series: A Conversation with Dai Satō

From Cowboy Bebop to Ergo Proxy, Dai Satō is a legendary screenwriter that worked on some of the most legendary anime series. A resume that doesn’t just end with anime series, the Japanese screenwriter started out as a lyricist for Japan’s biggest pop stars, and even worked on some of the most legendary video game series. A legend in the flesh, sabukaru had the opportunity to peek inside his office and talk to him.

Other than the aforementioned series, Satō has also worked on a multitude of projects: from Eureka Seven to NISSIN’s Freedom Project, there’s a good chance your favorite show was written by the man himself. Of course, you may have played out scenarios he’s written, as Satō also holds an extensive resume for working on video game series.

An accomplished screenwriter, Satō explains how he got his start sending fan mail to late night radio shows. Working under big time record producer Yasushi Akimoto as his apprentice, Satō worked as a lyricist, writing the Dragon Ball theme songs, and also for some of Japan’s biggest pop stars.

Making his debut as a screenwriter working with none other than Shinichirō Watanabe, Satō continued to work on Samurai Champloo, and proceeded to work on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. An extensive resume that cannot be chronicled on here, Dai Satō truly stands tall as one of the country’s greats.

Although the legend continues to work for Japan’s biggest franchises like Pokémon and Doraemon, Satō revealed how he is also working on a new project. New in every sense of the word, FREQ [@freq_manga] is a manga series that connects the digital and physical, but most importantly, people from all over the world.

Written with Nicola Kazimir, and illustrated by GOODNEWSFORBADGUYS, FREQ is a new endeavor for the Japanese screenwriter in more than one way. Inspired by music, and the underlying effects the pandemic had on the way we live, Dai Satō’s new project is scheduled to make its debut sometime this year.

Ig Link Original Post
Apr 30, 5:45 AM

Jul 2014
Honestly one of my favourite anime writers. So overlooked.
Take care of yourself

Apr 30, 5:56 AM

Sep 2016
I checked out the example video on https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/freqmanga/freq-volume-0

Quite the fancy art I must say.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 30, 6:20 AM

Aug 2016
Pretty insightful interview, loved his work on Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell SAC, Wolf's Rain, Eureka Seven and Ergo Proxy
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
May 2, 1:13 AM
Feb 2022
Reply to Zarutaku
I checked out the example video on https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/freqmanga/freq-volume-0

Quite the fancy art I must say.
@Zarutaku

well its all over the main page now :D
May 2, 1:16 AM

Feb 2020
That was pretty interesting. Thanks. :)

More topics from this board

» Which Anime do you think has the overall best OP+ED+OSTs ? ( 1 2 )

NaRc0s_G - Yesterday

58 by KitsuFrost »»
3 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

112 by CosmicGirl »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do so many people still shove anime through interpolaiton AI? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

52 by velvetnyan »»
8 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

116 by MasterTasuke »»
9 minutes ago

» What device(s) do you watch anime content on? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - May 18

78 by thayyse »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.