Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 28, 3:19 AM
Aug 2020
Should i just scribble random things on paper, or is there any software, website or technique that i haven't discovered to make a fantasy map?
Mar 28, 4:57 PM

May 2023
Depends on what your expectation is regarding the final product. If your map is going to be abstract, 2 Dimensional and won't require geo/isekai-graphic elements and precision, you can make it on any vector or raster manipulation software [Vector: Adobe Illustrator, Affinity Designer, Incscape etc.; Raster: Adobe Photoshop, Sketchbook, Concepts, Krita or even good old Paint]..

To elaborate by what I mean by elements and precision is whether you want you want the map to be cartographcially correct. A simple fantasy map can be a boundary map of fictional place, or to make it a artsy, a boundary layer with sovereignty distribution marked on it, or landscape+elevation layers draped over it. For this any digital art software would do..

However, if you map is going to be detailed, like have, boundary of course, but, elevation, places [with isometric precision] and so on, it's better to use a GIS software. You can either use online ones [Mapbox, ArcGIS Online etc], or standalone PC ones [QGIS, ArcGIS Pro etc]. The process is not complex, its just like we can make maps of the Moon and the Mars, we can make of any world. Although you would require basic GIS knowledge, the end result would be better. + You can turn these maps to 3D either as a Global perspective or regional elevation perspective.
Mar 28, 9:18 PM
Apr 2018
Nothing wrong with scribbling! If you're looking for something more detailed, I've heard good things about Inkarnate and Campaign Cartographer.
Mar 29, 12:21 AM

Apr 2023
Ignore that pretentious, unsuable green text. Inkarnate is a good site that requires an account, and paid access to their better stuff, though I've made decent things on the freemium version. Azgaar's fantasy map generator is a great site for simplistic, generated maps that you can tweak plenty of things to fit your taste, and has plenty of layers. I always found it helpful to let it generate things, then take what it gives me and replace things as I wished with my OC. Plus any extra stuff it throws in can be a great prompt for world/lore building.

P.S. I know you didn't ask for this, but I found that my fantasy maps improved substantially when I learned about geography and geology - learning *why* something might looks the way it does does wonders for your world building. If anything, oddities in your map give you an excuse for lore.

More topics from this board

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

7 by Vapor_AU »»
Yesterday, 5:56 PM

» The Poetry thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheConquerer - Sep 17, 2015

220 by 707supremacist »»
Yesterday, 5:42 PM

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

18 by 707supremacist »»
Yesterday, 5:29 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Apr 25, 6:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.