Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 14, 7:13 PM
Jul 2023
I heard the anime skipped a lot of stuff from the light novel so I'm just wondering how much they skipped and what they skipped.
Feb 14, 7:24 PM

Jul 2022
When we say there are a lot of skipped content, we mean there are A LOT of skipped content. Sorry, but I don't have time to list all of them in detail
Feb 14, 7:38 PM
Feb 2021
I think I did a good thing by reading the novels since they rushing through the volumes skipping a lot of fine details, a good chunk of monologues and a lot of other stuff which I don't remember as of now. I will still watch this because seeing cote animated is just good even if the anime is mediocre. Also all of this skipping has made the pacing shit.
Feb 14, 9:55 PM
Aug 2023
The story told in the anime is in no way incomplete or not enjoyable if you don’t read the novel BUT there is a boatload of content that is skipped over, mainly just very in depth explanations and inner thoughts of the characters that explains their actions. To put it simply it doesn’t take away from the anime having read the novels it just explains some of their actions and personalities better.
Feb 14, 10:23 PM
May 2023
every season has cut a huge amount of content and made a lot of changes. i'd argue that so much has been changed that you need to consider the LN and anime as two separate entities. building on that, i think if you look at the anime as a standalone product and NOT an adaptation, then you can say it is a good and entertaining piece of media. but if you look at the anime through the lens of the light novels, then it is quite disappointing.
Feb 14, 10:33 PM

Jan 2017
Sometimes, i wonder if they really skipped that much, or if it's simply the first time the users actually did read a Novel...

There is literally always a lot of content skipped, especially dialogues and explanations, due to the difference in medium. 4 Episodes per Volumes is already great, and it's more than the 3 Episodes norm too... I guess i'll have to read it someday, just to see if all that whining really is worth it.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 14, 11:32 PM
Nov 2021
the ichinose arc is a good example, the book goes more into detail which makes it more impactful at the reveal of her crime and the anime just skip most of that and sum it up in 1 room visit there are many instances of this throughout the whole season so far for every arc so ill say that the anime definitely snipped alot away from the material
Feb 15, 12:23 AM
Mar 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Sometimes, i wonder if they really skipped that much, or if it's simply the first time the users actually did read a Novel...

There is literally always a lot of content skipped, especially dialogues and explanations, due to the difference in medium. 4 Episodes per Volumes is already great, and it's more than the 3 Episodes norm too... I guess i'll have to read it someday, just to see if all that whining really is worth it.

Whining is worth it,Anime as overall is 7/10 adaptation but compared to LN its 10x worse.

Just search COTE Season 1/2/3 skipped content on Reddit , you will find many threads. They skipped some parts which were important in future arcs too....like necessary for smooth character development.
Feb 15, 12:46 AM

Jan 2017
Aditya_Ranjan said:
Anime as overall is 7/10 adaptation but compared to LN its 10x worse. [...] They skipped some parts which were important in future arcs too....like necessary for smooth character development.

Yeah, but that's the case for literally every single adaptation of (Regular/Light/Visual) Novel, absolutely nothing new...

Due to being a book of plain text, Novels are prone to lenghty description and explanation of things, including discussion between characters. Animes and Mangas are visual mediums, so they have to transform, and even skip, such parts. The discussions are also necessarily shortened, to keep a good in-episode pacing.

Why do you think only very few Animes adapted from Novels are actually well liked ?
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Feb 15, 1:08 AM
Mar 2022
Alexioos95 said:
Aditya_Ranjan said:
Anime as overall is 7/10 adaptation but compared to LN its 10x worse. [...] They skipped some parts which were important in future arcs too....like necessary for smooth character development.

Yeah, but that's the case for literally every single adaptation of (Regular/Light/Visual) Novel, absolutely nothing new...

Due to being a book of plain text, Novels are prone to lenghty description and explanation of things, including discussion between characters. Animes and Mangas are visual mediums, so they have to transform, and even skip, such parts. The discussions are also necessarily shortened, to keep a good in-episode pacing.

Why do you think only very few Animes adapted from Novels are actually well liked ?

Isnt Bunny Girl Senpai, Overlord also LN and they are great. NGNL didnt get another season but Season 1 adapted almost perfectly. Konosuba too has a great LN adaptation.

Shadow in Eminence has both LN and Manga ...and I think anime adapted manga but both are equally good....

Anyway problem with COTE anime is that its average mainly because they are adapting just 20% and skippin 80%..

They literally switched characters in Season 1 , Kei was supposed to have a major role in Season 1 itself instead of Horikita.

I am quoting a reddit person below -

Messy timeline and events

They made Hori a tsundere instead of being a mean person.

They made Katsuragi look like an evil person

Kiyo is a weird character but with emotions, not an emotionless one. THIS ONE IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

2 major changes. First, changing Honami scene into Horikita scene (The special building cctv scene) and lastly, Kei and Kiyo's first scene in the pool. (They also changed it to Horikita)

Lastly, No buildup for a specific lady,Vol 1 to 3 is not her time, but the novel showed us how toxic she is towards Kiyotaka. She hated him, annoyed by him etc. This is really important because this buildup will be the turning point for the anime and also for the 3 characters (that lady, Kiyotaka and Ryueen). I'm talking about vol 4-7.

These are only for Season 1
Season 2 , Season 3 they are removing important conversations of Ryuen , they are not explaining rules and character interactions.

IT just hurts to see a good story getting rushed but I am happy atleast it got an adaptation.

Repeating the above point again - Kiyo is a weird character but with emotions, not an emotionless one.

The story could have been more fleshed out if they gave like 18 episodes per season or 12 episodes with better direction.
Feb 15, 1:36 AM

Jan 2017
Aditya_Ranjan said:
Isnt Bunny Girl Senpai, Overlord also LN and they are great. NGNL didnt get another season but Season 1 adapted almost perfectly. Konosuba too has a great LN adaptation.

Shadow in Eminence has both LN and Manga ...and I think anime adapted manga but both are equally good....

All of the ones you mentionned cuts out a lot of details, including dialogues between characters.

The 3 Movies of Bunny Girl Senpai cuts out a lot of character developments. Overlord removed many subplots about characters, and is considered to be quite an average adaptation past Season 1. No Game No Life skipped many little scenes and dialogues, mainly about world building.

I also heard KonoSuba skipped a few small Arcs, developing characters, and that Kage no Jitsuryokusha removed many details, on top of changing a little bit the overall tone, but as i never was interested in them, i'm not really aware about how much.

So yeah, as i said, absolutely all adaptations of Novels have to sacrifice things, nothing new.

Aditya_Ranjan said:
They literally switched characters in Season 1 , Kei was supposed to have a major role in Season 1 itself instead of Horikita.

That's another thing, tho. They did not skipped the scenes, they altered the characters in them.
That's already more rare, and damageable to the adaptation, but it makes no real difference in the story, just in the characters' relationship, which up to now, had no real importance in the overall story.

Aditya_Ranjan said:
The story could have been more fleshed out if they gave like 18 episodes per season or 12 episodes with better direction.

Again, that's the case for absolutely all Novels.

The standard is around 3 Episodes per Volume... but you can easily do 6+ Episodes with a Novel of around 200 pages. The problem will be to keep a good pacing, which is hard, especially with ~20 minute weekly episodes. I know of Ookami to Koushinryou, which adapted 4 Volumes in 6 Episodes each, and even them skipped a shit load of interesting details.

So yeah, for now, it seems to be a very casual case.

Edit : If you want to see a real wreckage of character development and world building, try out to watch and then read Quan Zhi Gao Shou (it's a Donghua, a Chinese Anime). They literally skips all the details, to adapt only the main plotline, straight up skipping 50% of the overall books.
Alexioos95Feb 15, 1:41 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Feb 15, 1:49 AM
Jun 2023
adaptationis bad for this anime, this manga is erotic but anime doesn't make me feel that.
Feb 15, 3:20 AM

Apr 2021
Jaredw1227 said:
The story told in the anime is in no way incomplete or not enjoyable if you don’t read the novel BUT there is a boatload of content that is skipped over, mainly just very in depth explanations and inner thoughts of the characters that explains their actions. To put it simply it doesn’t take away from the anime having read the novels it just explains some of their actions and personalities better.

Thank you for explaining this.

It helps a lot.
Note: I don’t lazily watch 3-5 episodes, biasedly compare to other anime, or unfairly judge by surface level similarities. With every anime I start, I watch the entire series, both Japanese Sub & English Dub, then judge each anime based on what they present, to give an honest and fair rating.

Feb 15, 4:22 AM

May 2021
A lot. The anime feels like recap of the LN. It's watchable on it own, but not the best adaptation out there.
Feb 16, 4:50 PM
May 2018
This always happens with LN adaptations. There's lots of inner monologues that are skipped just to make the anime more "enjoyable". With this I mean to don't make just character faces with a 3-4 minute monologue every scene.

I have not read COTE's LN so I don't know how many content they have skipped, but I have read Mushoku Tensei's LN up to volume 12. I started reading in some weeks after the 1st part of the 2nd season was realeased, and there's a lot of content removed, mostly Rudeus' inner monologues. So I think in COTE is the same
Feb 17, 11:00 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Aditya_Ranjan
Alexioos95 said:
Aditya_Ranjan said:

Anyway problem with COTE anime is that its average mainly because they are adapting just 20% and skippin 80%..

I am quoting a reddit person below -

Messy timeline and events

They made Hori a tsundere instead of being a mean person.

They made Katsuragi look like an evil person

Kiyo is a weird character but with emotions, not an emotionless one. THIS ONE IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

2 major changes. First, changing Honami scene into Horikita scene (The special building cctv scene) and lastly, Kei and Kiyo's first scene in the pool. (They also changed it to Horikita)

Lastly, No buildup for a specific lady,Vol 1 to 3 is not her time, but the novel showed us how toxic she is towards Kiyotaka. She hated him, annoyed by him etc. This is really important because this buildup will be the turning point for the anime and also for the 3 characters (that lady, Kiyotaka and Ryueen). I'm talking about vol 4-7.

These are only for Season 1
Season 2 , Season 3 they are removing important conversations of Ryuen , they are not explaining rules and character interactions.

IT just hurts to see a good story getting rushed but I am happy atleast it got an adaptation.

Repeating the above point again - Kiyo is a weird character but with emotions, not an emotionless one.

@Aditya_Ranjan Eis adapted the Ln not manga.
Feb 17, 11:09 PM
Mar 2022
Bluetenkai said:
@Aditya_Ranjan Eis adapted the Ln not manga.

yes .....EIS has both LN and Manga but it adapted LN beautifully
Feb 22, 11:51 AM
Apr 2022
It makes no difference what was skipped since the plot points are intact. The series is just uninteresting to people.

Ln rankings and awards really mean nothing if they pump out anime that is losing more viewers than it gains.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 27

212 by PanditaMimilona »»
Sep 16, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20

143 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 9, 4:45 PM

» Not just bout this anime.

Avamarie316 - Sep 5

14 by DragyG »»
Sep 6, 7:17 AM

» 4th season announced ( 1 2 )

Dbagas8 - Aug 31

59 by Insane_0_2 »»
Sep 3, 8:43 PM

Poll: » Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 13

143 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 2, 10:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.