Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 9:03 AM

Jan 2020
Maybe this kind of past has already been created in the past, and I'm pretty sure quite many people have given it a though at least once.

So, as far as it's shown in the show, Light can read/write/speak Japanese (his mother tongue) and English. Maybe there was a third language, given the fact the he was a university student at some point (and you can choose an additional language to learn there), but it's not specified in the show, so whatever. As far as it goes for the death note itself, most of the names written in it were either written in kanji, or in Roman letters. Since Light can read/write Kanji, that means that he's capable of killing off Chinese and Taiwanese dudes to some extent (since the characters significantly differ), as well as the people whose names are written in Roman letters (Portuguese, French, German), even if the alphabet used is extended or modified (e.g. Polish, Hungarian etc).

... Which leads me to a conclusion that all the Arabs, Koreans, Persians, Thai, those whose names are written in Cyrillic (such as Bulgarians or Serbs), Indians etc (sorry if I haven't mention other nations who have a unique writing system for their language) couldn't care less about some Kira killing people off simply because Kira can't read, let alone write their names in the death note.

Not sure if this has been specified somewhere, but I'm also dubious about the appropriate name format for the death note to function properly (i.e. some names include a patronymic, some names include prefixes (idk how to call them, honestly) such as "von").

So, creating a "new world" Light has been talking about, while ignoring, like, about two thirds (if we include russia) of the current world, sounds... funny. But anyway... What do you think?
Jan 18, 3:48 PM

Aug 2020
Not really. Kira is also a SYMBOL of justice so even if his killings doesn't reach the entire world, his ideals would. Besides, even IF the language barrier was a thing, a genius like Light would take little time to learn them. And it's not to the point of being able to speak like a native, he just needs it to know their background and write their names.

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

6 by Serafos »»
12 seconds ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - 12 seconds ago

0 by RobertBobert »»
12 seconds ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

13 by Zarutaku »»
37 seconds ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 38 minutes ago

7 by MeguSae38 »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

29 by ST63LTH »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.