Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Impressed with the effort they put into creating new languages, disappointed in the voice

New
Sep 14, 2023 4:44 AM
Jun 2009
Studio Bind has put in a lot of effort in making new languages for the show such as Demon, Beast and now Human language for the Japanese reveal with Nanahoshi.

Certainly they're trying to make the show more immersive. Many other shows just pretend the characters are speaking another language but continue speaking in Japanese to the viewer.

Given all this effort they put in the show, it is disappointing they've decided not to age up Rudeus' voice with a male voice actor now that he's 16 years old. Will this continue when he gets married and becomes a father?

He sounds exactly the same as when he was 3 years old training with Paul.
Sep 14, 2023 4:57 AM
May 2023
“He sounds the same as he was 3 years old”

Nah, he definitely doesn’t. You can tell the VA made his voice a lil deeper.

They will probably change the VA after this season
Sep 14, 2023 4:58 AM

Aug 2022
How exactly is the first topic related to the second one?

Also, many anime characters have kept the same voice actors throughout the years even after aging. People get used to a voice actor, and when change happens there could be backlash by fans who aren't pleased with the change.

Simply put, you can't please all fans, that's why changes in voices actors are rare in the industry.

Besides, Rudeus is 16, he's still going through puberty. His voice may change later on when he's a bit older, possibly around 18-20.
Sep 14, 2023 4:58 AM
Apr 2019
I really don't mind that his voice actor stayed the same, I think she's really good and her voice fits well with rudeus' character, but I totally understand what you're saying. A teenage boy does not sound like that, and if he gets any older and his voice stays the same, even I might start to dislike it
Some things can only be achieved through animation.
Sep 14, 2023 6:01 AM
Jul 2020
Some people have higher voices.

It’s really not an issue at all.
Sep 14, 2023 6:06 AM
Jun 2023
you really think they actually create new languages? 💀
Sep 14, 2023 6:10 AM
Mar 2018
It's nice that they accentuate the world building with languages spoken in that universe, but all they do is jumble and reverse bits of the japanese phrases they would translate to
Sep 14, 2023 7:26 AM

Mar 2021
Memasikgod said:

Yes, new language structures were created and the VAs actually took a course to learn the language. I'm not kidding and this is not a fan theory. Its similar to Klingon in Star Trek and High Valyrian in GoT.
Sep 14, 2023 8:18 AM
Feb 2021
Saying that his voice sounds the same as when he was 3 yr old is just blatantly wrong. Rifujin na Manganote -san, the writer of Mushoku Tensei himself stated in a tweet that that's how he imagined the voice of Rudeus to be, very cowardly and timid, and the seiyuu, Uchiyama Yumi -san, does a very good job at that. On the other hand, the voice of pre-isekai Rudeus, played by Sugita Tomokazu -san is how 30 yr Rudeus is supposed to sound like. The voice acting in this show is very good, but ofc you are allowed to have your subjective opinion.
Sep 14, 2023 8:30 AM

Aug 2020
I still can't believe they really invented a new language. Now Rifujin will create a new country by the name of Pedoshokutenseiland.

Sep 14, 2023 9:40 AM

Mar 2023
Memasikgod said:

Higher your expectations bud
Sep 14, 2023 10:02 AM
Jun 2023
1crusty said:
Memasikgod said:

bud, they used dialects from other languages and used them as a base. Just use your own brain, they wouldn't just create a new language from scratch
Sep 14, 2023 10:22 AM
Jan 2023
The first episode of The Human Language
Sep 14, 2023 10:30 AM

Dec 2010
too bad WIRED accent experts won't be breaking down isekai languages any time soon.
キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
Sep 14, 2023 10:31 AM
Jun 2009
Reply to Memasikgod
1crusty said:
Memasikgod said:

bud, they used dialects from other languages and used them as a base. Just use your own brain, they wouldn't just create a new language from scratch
Yea no shit it's not a real functional language. The point is they went ahead and made up at least 3 different languages to create immersion, that's more effort than most shows that just continue speaking Japanese and pretend they're speaking something else.

They're that committed to the immersion and effort but make the MC sound the same as a 3 year old.
Sep 14, 2023 10:57 AM
Apr 2017
Memasikgod said:
1crusty said:

Which language in the world is created from scratch my guy? They're all based on something else.
Sep 14, 2023 12:36 PM
May 2023
Memasikgod said:

They literally do, they’ve decoded beast god as a combination of English and Basque
Sep 14, 2023 12:39 PM
Jun 2023
pizza565 said:
Memasikgod said:

They literally do, they’ve decoded beast god as a combination of English and Basque

"as a combination of English and basque"
Sep 14, 2023 12:41 PM
May 2023
Memasikgod said:
pizza565 said:

A combination of English and Basque doesn’t exist in real life, which means it was in fact a new language. Just because it was based off other languages doesn’t make it any less of a language
Sep 14, 2023 12:44 PM
Jun 2023
pizza565 said:
Memasikgod said:

A combination of English and Basque doesn’t exist in real life, which means it was in fact a new language. Just because it was based off other languages doesn’t make it any less of a language

You guys talk like they created a language from scratch without a base, but yet you say that they used english and basque as a base. I still don't understand which statement of mine you are trying to debunk
Sep 14, 2023 12:45 PM
May 2023
Memasikgod said:
pizza565 said:

You guys talk like they created a language from scratch without a base, but yet you say that they used english and basque as a base. I still don't understand which statement of mine you are trying to debunk

If that’s what your argument, then that’s also saying that just about every language spoken in the world don’t count as languages since they all used languages like Old Germanic and Latin as a base
Sep 14, 2023 12:49 PM
Jun 2023
pizza565 said:
Memasikgod said:

If that’s what your argument, then that’s also saying that just about every language spoken in the world don’t count as languages since they all used languages like Old Germanic and Latin as a base

Look I didn't even say that they haven't created a new language, but you somehow came to the conclusion that I was in fact saying that I think they "stole" it. also It looks like you think that european languages are the only ones that exist, based on the statement of yours.
Sep 14, 2023 12:54 PM
May 2023
Memasikgod said:

Then what did you mean by this?
Sep 14, 2023 12:55 PM
Jun 2023
pizza565 said:
Memasikgod said:

Then what did you mean by this?

if you would read a little further, you would know
Sep 14, 2023 2:35 PM

Mar 2023
Memasikgod said:
1crusty said:

I didnt research if they actually made the languages (seems like they did), also I just said to higher your expectation which in retrospect doesnt make any sense since its anime but you get the point.

And tf you mean make a language from scratch, you ever heard of Latin, where like, Spanish and French came from? Also damn dude you are getting absolutely destroyed by these people, my condolences bro, that has to suck getting obliterated by anime fans.
Sep 14, 2023 8:13 PM
Jun 2023
1crusty said:
Memasikgod said:

I didnt research if they actually made the languages (seems like they did), also I just said to higher your expectation which in retrospect doesnt make any sense since its anime but you get the point.

And tf you mean make a language from scratch, you ever heard of Latin, where like, Spanish and French came from? Also damn dude you are getting absolutely destroyed by these people, my condolences bro, that has to suck getting obliterated by anime fans.

do you even understand that languages aren't made? They were developing for 1000 of years with their own culture and like everyone here you think that european languages are the only ones in this world,but you never talk about something like mandarin which has it's own history with it's unique alphabet and didn't use any other language as a base. You also somehow think that I am getting cooked here although there was never an actual debate here.
Sep 15, 2023 1:43 AM
Jun 2009
What is this guy even arguing about?

He took a non-point and made a huge deal out of it. Wow.
Sep 15, 2023 9:12 AM
Feb 2020
I agree his voice is a little distracting. Every now it gets really high and cute. I have a light voice so I’m not saying it’s gotta be deep but it obviously doesn’t sound like a male character
Sep 15, 2023 11:16 AM
Jan 2018
Apparently they took audition and the original Voice won it again so here we are
Sep 15, 2023 8:36 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to Memasikgod
1crusty said:
Memasikgod said:

do you even understand that languages aren't made? They were developing for 1000 of years with their own culture and like everyone here you think that european languages are the only ones in this world,but you never talk about something like mandarin which has it's own history with it's unique alphabet and didn't use any other language as a base. You also somehow think that I am getting cooked here although there was never an actual debate here.
@Memasikgod

What does "do you even understand that languages aren't made?" even mean bruh

Saying more than just European languages exists and saying that Mandarin developed over thousands of years isnt a point either since no one is saying that the languages are made from scratch, theyre literally saying the opposite. (Mandarin isnt a written language nor is Chinese an alphabet btw)

I dont know why youre point is that the languages in the anime arent legitimate languages because they uses various dialects as a base, as if thats not allowed, ever heard of Esperanto? a literal made up language created in the late 1800s?
Sep 15, 2023 10:36 PM
Jun 2023
1crusty said:
@Memasikgod

What does "do you even understand that languages aren't made?" even mean bruh

Saying more than just European languages exists and saying that Mandarin developed over thousands of years isnt a point either since no one is saying that the languages are made from scratch, theyre literally saying the opposite. (Mandarin isnt a written language nor is Chinese an alphabet btw)

I dont know why youre point is that the languages in the anime arent legitimate languages because they uses various dialects as a base, as if thats not allowed, ever heard of Esperanto? a literal made up language created in the late 1800s?

At this point I don't even know what you are arguing about, I never said that the languages in mushoku tensei aren't legit, they are just not as developed as real languages, because they are no history and are artificially made aaaaand are just a copy of other languages. I won't reply anymore, if you don't explain me what your point is.
Sep 16, 2023 1:01 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to StaleNut
How exactly is the first topic related to the second one?

Also, many anime characters have kept the same voice actors throughout the years even after aging. People get used to a voice actor, and when change happens there could be backlash by fans who aren't pleased with the change.

Simply put, you can't please all fans, that's why changes in voices actors are rare in the industry.

Besides, Rudeus is 16, he's still going through puberty. His voice may change later on when he's a bit older, possibly around 18-20.
@StaleNut well the problem is rudy is voiced by a girl VA , if its male no no body would have said anything as it would be relatively easier for male VA to deepen his voice but that's not the case her as rudy have girl VA.

and it creates uncertainty of at what age rudy's Voice will start cracking up(as he Is going through puberty) and when studio will change VA , sudden voice change can be bit weird
Sep 16, 2023 6:43 AM

Jun 2019
First of all, when I read the thread topic title I expected the issue of voice acting to somehow be related to their creation and usage of new languages for the show, which I agree is always an impressive idea and entrancing spectacle which builds immersion - except one had nothing to do with the other.

Secondly, I have to admit that I wasn't even aware at all that the seiyuu for Rudeus was female. I previously hadn't looked it up or thought about it at all, for whatever reason.

But I honestly don't care and don't see why it matters. I don't get the nature of these type of complaints whenever people raise them. Another common one I've heard in a similar vein is complaints over Kenshin being voiced by a woman in the Rurouni Kenshin anime (in the original anime series from 1996). If anything, I think it tends to give the character more of a unique distinctive flair, and more "character" in that sense, because maybe they sound less typical than the average of someone for their sex either in real life or even among a bunch of other characters of the same sex in the show, and so stand out more. Plus, the voice becomes known and identified with the character and therefore a package deal and iconic. I don't see why it's a problem.

And the tradition of female seiyuu/voice actors voicing many different types of male characters in anime and cartoons goes back a long way.
Sep 16, 2023 8:26 AM
Jan 2018
I don’t expect they will change the voice actor
Sep 22, 2023 3:18 AM
Jun 2009
Reply to WatchTillTandava
First of all, when I read the thread topic title I expected the issue of voice acting to somehow be related to their creation and usage of new languages for the show, which I agree is always an impressive idea and entrancing spectacle which builds immersion - except one had nothing to do with the other.

Secondly, I have to admit that I wasn't even aware at all that the seiyuu for Rudeus was female. I previously hadn't looked it up or thought about it at all, for whatever reason.

But I honestly don't care and don't see why it matters. I don't get the nature of these type of complaints whenever people raise them. Another common one I've heard in a similar vein is complaints over Kenshin being voiced by a woman in the Rurouni Kenshin anime (in the original anime series from 1996). If anything, I think it tends to give the character more of a unique distinctive flair, and more "character" in that sense, because maybe they sound less typical than the average of someone for their sex either in real life or even among a bunch of other characters of the same sex in the show, and so stand out more. Plus, the voice becomes known and identified with the character and therefore a package deal and iconic. I don't see why it's a problem.

And the tradition of female seiyuu/voice actors voicing many different types of male characters in anime and cartoons goes back a long way.
@WatchTillTandava Your point would have weight if not for the fact that we watched Rudeus grow up and speak since he was 3 years old... with the exact same voice. So he basically has the voice of a 3 year old at the age of 16.

So in terms of "immersion", our MC's voice sounds the same from when he was a baby to a teen. This works for female characters, but unfortunately not for male characters.

More topics from this board

» Who was this blue haired girl from the badigadi ep?

Kitsune_089 - May 5

13 by Kitsune_089 »»
May 6, 10:05 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MegamiRem - Sep 24, 2023

453 by sharosharo »»
May 4, 12:15 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2023

299 by sharosharo »»
May 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2023

224 by sharosharo »»
May 4, 11:23 AM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei II: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Giorgosman13 - Sep 3, 2023

235 by sharosharo »»
May 4, 10:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.