Forum Settings
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 12, 2023 11:25 PM

Nov 2020
I am completely new to the "Monogatari Series" and I am just wondering if I can watch this plus the other 2 Kizumonogatari movies or if I need to start somewhere else. And if I do need to start somewhere else where should I start?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 12, 2023 11:32 PM
May 2022
First watch at least Bakemonogatari
My mal account is not working properly. In the last 24 hours, there isn't showing any forum discussion.  What should I do?! 
Jul 12, 2023 11:34 PM
May 2016
You should follow the release order. So yes, Bakemonogatari first.
Jul 12, 2023 11:35 PM
Feb 2021
Bakemonogatari comes first
Jul 12, 2023 11:36 PM
Jun 2021
Cheggeronis said:
I am completely new to the "Monogatari Series" and I am just wondering if I can watch this plus the other 2 Kizumonogatari movies or if I need to start somewhere else. And if I do need to start somewhere else where should I start?

You should do release order wise it's more fun that way so I would suggest bakemonogatari first
Jul 12, 2023 11:38 PM

Aug 2020
First season
bakemonogatari (2009)
Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu (2016)
Kizumonogatari Part 2: Nekketsu (2016)
Kizumonogatari Part 3: Reiketsu (2017)
Nisemonogatari (2012)
Nekomonogatari Black (2012)
Monogatari Series Second Season (2013)
Hanamonogatari (2014)
Final season
Tsukimonogatari (2014)
Owarimonogatari (2015)
Koyomimonogatari (2016)
Owarimonogatari (Part 2) (2017)
Zoku Owarimonogatari (2018)
VilexRossJul 14, 2023 6:56 PM
Jul 12, 2023 11:39 PM

Jun 2019
Cheggeronis said:

Everyone says “bake first” but I regret watching watching bake first, watch the Kizu movies, then neko, then bake
Jul 12, 2023 11:41 PM
May 2022
CielIsAWeeb said:
Cheggeronis said:

Everyone says “bake first” but I regret watching watching bake first, watch the Kizu movies, then neko, then bake

If you watch Kizu first you would not understand anything.
My mal account is not working properly. In the last 24 hours, there isn't showing any forum discussion.  What should I do?! 
Jul 12, 2023 11:47 PM
Oct 2017
Cheggeronis said:

well you could watch it but you wouldn't get much of it. I suggest watch bakemonogatari and nisemonogatari first and then watch these movies. but hey it's your life do whatever you want.
Jul 12, 2023 11:47 PM

Mar 2020
Cheggeronis said:

Kizu is the second book in the series, so watch bake first

Jul 13, 2023 12:14 AM
May 2022
CielIsAWeeb said:
Cheggeronis said:

I agree with this. I hated watching bake first. Honestly feel you should watch kizu first so you’re not confused about the most important character (subjectively) in the series: shinobu. And the origin story helps understand later arcs imo.
Jul 13, 2023 12:24 AM

Oct 2014
Monogatari is not meant to be experienced chronologically. If you do, then you'll be both more confused and spoiled. It takes out the charm of the series, and you'd be going against the author's own intentions. The story was written in a nonlinear fashion on purpose. First time watchers should never do it.

The novel order is the ideal experience, but Shaft's release order is very close. You can go with either, really. Bakemonogatari is first before anything.

Novel order: https://i.imgur.com/nfiEEn3.jpg

PyroJul 13, 2023 12:54 AM
Jul 13, 2023 1:17 AM
Feb 2022
Watch in the novel order
Jul 13, 2023 1:50 AM
Jan 2015
CielIsAWeeb said:
Cheggeronis said:

Fffffffact! watch in chronological order. the story makes more sense that way.

its kinda like Star Wars. how would you watch Star War. Releas date or in chronological order...✨️
Jul 13, 2023 1:51 AM
Jun 2020
I actually watched kizumonogatari first. Couple years ago I saw a edit of it over a song a really liked and decided to watch them since they were movies and I been getting through anime movies. Tbh I thought at the time it was a bit weird and almost didn’t put it on my MAL because I didn’t want my friends to judge me. I did in the end and I one friend told me it was actually one of the latest releases in a large running series and now here I am. One of the very few who thinks hanekawa is better than senjogohara because I saw her on screen first and one of the very few who actually watched monogatari in chronological order not release order
Jul 13, 2023 1:52 AM
Jan 2015
hanekawastiddi said:
CielIsAWeeb said:

I agree with this. I hated watching bake first. Honestly feel you should watch kizu first so you’re not confused about the most important character (subjectively) in the series: shinobu. And the origin story helps understand later arcs imo.

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Jul 13, 2023 3:14 AM
Aug 2018
This will be very late in your journey to watch this series, watch in release order, it feels the best even though this is first chronologically
Jul 13, 2023 3:29 AM

Oct 2014
Watch it second After Bakemogatari; that’s how the books were written and how the studio intended to adapt the story before the movies became riddled with delays.

Someone even made this handy little watch guide https://i.redd.it/hueg5ujz8qc51.png
Message me for Fate/ information
Jul 13, 2023 4:42 AM
Mar 2020
Here is the entire series, the order(left to right, top to bottom) is recommended by the author himself, it’s also a light novel release order.
Jul 13, 2023 5:13 AM
Jun 2021
adesh17 said:
CielIsAWeeb said:

Kizu literally explains everything that bake doesnt.
Honestly i was so lost watching bake first
Jul 13, 2023 5:22 AM
May 2022
GreatCarerJack said:
adesh17 said:

Yes, I was too at first after watching Bake. But if you watch Kizu first I think you wouldn't enjoy it as much as after finishing Bake First. In Bake, they introduced all characters so it became easier to understand the movies.

What do you think?!
Jul 13, 2023 6:07 AM
Feb 2021
V121ONENDWAR said:
CielIsAWeeb said:

its kinda like Star Wars. how would you watch Star War. Releas date or in chronological order...✨️

Obviously when it comes time for me to have a child and show them Star Wars for the first time I would start with the original trilogy then prequels.
Jul 13, 2023 6:14 AM
Feb 2021
adesh17 said:
GreatCarerJack said:

Yes, I was too at first after watching Bake. But if you watch Kizu first I think you wouldn't enjoy it as much as after finishing Bake First. In Bake, they introduced all characters so it became easier to understand the movies.

What do you think?!

I think that is how I experienced it and how it made most sense to experience it my first time around.
Jul 13, 2023 6:27 AM
Jan 2021
Cheggeronis said:

This is how you should watch it. Then watch it in chronological order after your first watch. I’m currently watching the series a second time.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jul 13, 2023 6:35 AM

Jan 2017
V121ONENDWAR said:

That's called "Mystery".
That's kinda nonsense to say chronological order is better when you have both Naruto and Shingeki no Kyojin in you favorites...
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Jul 13, 2023 6:43 AM
Dec 2020
start with kizu because its the only good part of the series
Jul 13, 2023 10:12 AM
Jun 2021
adesh17 said:
GreatCarerJack said:

What do you think?!

actually as a character introduction point bake sucks outside of the girls each arc centres on.
the way they explain araragi being a half vampire is… “something that happened last summer” when tsubasa is introduced its “we went through a lot last summer”
I think people forget how bad bake is at introducing these characters especially, not even a vague hint, feels more like you switched on season two of literally any show ever
Jul 13, 2023 10:14 AM
Jun 2021
CBPman9001 said:
V121ONENDWAR said:

Obviously when it comes time for me to have a child and show them Star Wars for the first time I would start with the original trilogy then prequels.

I would show a kid the prequels first, despite preferring the original trilogy i would probably do the entire franchise in order (excluding the kotor games since they’re not exactly thrilling for a kid and barely tie in)
Jul 13, 2023 10:16 AM
Feb 2021
GreatCarerJack said:
CBPman9001 said:

I would show a kid the prequels first, despite preferring the original trilogy i would probably do the entire franchise in order (excluding the kotor games since they’re not exactly thrilling for a kid and barely tie in)

So you’d start with Legends material and work their way up the timeline?
Jul 13, 2023 10:19 AM
Jun 2021
CBPman9001 said:
GreatCarerJack said:

i mean movies and series only, including clone wars rebels etc, then recommend when they’re a bit more advanced reading the thrawn books (i will refuse to acknowledge the sequel trilogy)
Jul 13, 2023 10:24 AM
Feb 2021
GreatCarerJack said:
CBPman9001 said:

i mean movies and series only, including clone wars rebels etc, then recommend when they’re a bit more advanced reading the thrawn books (i will refuse to acknowledge the sequel trilogy)

Same about the sequel trilogy and pretty much everything else except I feel it would be best to start them with Luke instead of Anakin.
Jul 13, 2023 10:36 AM
Apr 2021
how many more watch order threads will I see before I die
Jul 13, 2023 10:49 AM
Jun 2021
Kizu and Bake are interchangeable in my opinion. After those two, I would suggest release order.
Jul 13, 2023 10:52 AM

Aug 2021
Kizu and bake are  not interchangable.monogatari is meant to be consumed in the novel release order,people complaining about a mystrey series selectively presenting information are absolutely clueless
Jul 13, 2023 1:34 PM
Apr 2022
I don’t think you have to watch the others first the 3 movies are a story within itself. I understood it and only now am i learning its connected to other shows
Jul 13, 2023 1:35 PM
Apr 2022
VilexRoss said:
First season
bakemonogatari (2009)
Nisemonogatari (2012)
Hanamonogatari (2014)
Final season
Tsukimonogatari (2014)
Owarimonogatari (2015)
Koyomimonogatari (2016)

Do you know the chronological timeline order in the monogatari universe?
Jul 13, 2023 3:24 PM
Feb 2020
The movies literally serve as a prequel to how Koyomi met Kiss Shot Acerola Orion Heart Under Blade and how he bacame friends with Tsubasa leading into Bakemonogatari. The movies explains how Koyomi became a vampire in the first place because Heart Under Blade didn't want to die after being hunted down by vampire hunters with her arms, legs, and heart stolen so he fights to regain her original body and power believing she would turn him into a human again leading up to how she ended up bonded to Koyomi in the first place as Kiss Shot remains in a weak state until she drinks his blood to get some of her power back helping Koyomi when necessary
Jul 13, 2023 5:09 PM

Aug 2020
5thofvodka said:
VilexRoss said:
First season
bakemonogatari (2009)
Nisemonogatari (2012)
Hanamonogatari (2014)
Final season
Tsukimonogatari (2014)
Owarimonogatari (2015)
Koyomimonogatari (2016)

Do you know the chronological timeline order in the monogatari universe?

I do but for first time viewers release order is recommended.

Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-Hen (2016)

Kizumonogatari II: Nekketsu-Hen (2016)

Kizumonogatari III: Reiketsu-Hen (2016)

Nekomonogatari (2012)

Bakemonogatari (2009)

Nisemonogatari (2012)

Monogatari Series: Second Season (2013)

Tsukimonogatari (2014)

Owarimonogatari I (2015)

Koyomimonogatari (2016)

Owarimonogatari II (2017)

Zoku Owarimonogatari (2018)

Hanamonogatari (2014)
VilexRossJul 13, 2023 5:14 PM
Jul 13, 2023 6:19 PM

Jan 2013
You can watch the Kizu movies if you don't want to watch anything else, if you're interested in the series, then novel order is the only answer. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jul 13, 2023 7:58 PM
Dec 2021
Cheggeronis said:

Bakemonogatari first
Jul 13, 2023 9:29 PM

Mar 2023
Pyro said:
Monogatari is not meant to be experienced chronologically. If you do, then you'll be both more confused and spoiled. It takes out the charm of the series, and you'd be going against the author's own intentions. The story was written in a nonlinear fashion on purpose. First time watchers should never do it.

The novel order is the ideal experience, but Shaft's release order is very close. You can go with either, really. Bakemonogatari is first before anything.

Novel order: https://i.imgur.com/nfiEEn3.jpg

I second this, screenshot is correct. This is the way the author intended
Jul 14, 2023 5:32 AM

Aug 2020
VilexRoss said:
First season
bakemonogatari (2009)
Nisemonogatari (2012)
Hanamonogatari (2014)
Final season
Tsukimonogatari (2014)
Owarimonogatari (2015)
Koyomimonogatari (2016)

Wrong. OP look up novel release order.
Jul 14, 2023 7:42 AM

Aug 2020
VilexRoss said:
Yelltah said:

Wrong. OP look up novel release order.

I am talking about anime release order.
quoting me is unnecessary.
No one asked the wrong watch order.
quoting me is unnecessary.
Jul 14, 2023 9:48 AM
Feb 2021
If you want to watch in order, I suggest you watch this first. I watched this first and Kizu really sets the mood of the show—where it all begun.
Jul 14, 2023 6:39 PM
Jun 2020
Bake, then Kizu, then Nise, there’s a watch order guide for the best experience
Jul 14, 2023 6:43 PM
Jun 2020
V121ONENDWAR said:
CielIsAWeeb said:

Light Novel release order is done in a way where they connect, Kizu is like a Zero, and Zeros you normally watch later as a backstory arc, which is why Kizu comes second, it’s better this way because it’s about Character introduction and building up wonder. Like why won’t he be with Hanekawa? You find out in the 4th season, Nekomonogatari, but there’s no reason to know earlier, if you do chronological order characters are just thrown at ya and done in a way that doesn’t work like Haruhi Suzumiya, rewatching in Chronological with all the KoyomiMonogatari’ is more recommended after watching Ln release
Jul 14, 2023 6:43 PM
Jun 2020
VilexRoss said:
First season
bakemonogatari (2009)
Nisemonogatari (2012)
Hanamonogatari (2014)
Final season
Tsukimonogatari (2014)
Owarimonogatari (2015)
Koyomimonogatari (2016)

Kizu comes after bake, the rest of the list is correct
Jul 14, 2023 6:45 PM
Jun 2020
hanekawastiddi said:
CielIsAWeeb said:

It’s better to be confused about her, she was a mysterious character that was the whole point, her disappearing made us wonder what was done wrong. Kizu is complete spoilers and ruins the experience
Jul 14, 2023 6:46 PM
Jun 2020
GreatCarerJack said:
adesh17 said:

Kizu doesn’t explain anything, nor does it have to do with apparitions. It’s just spoilers that ruins the Hanekawa arc of bake
Jul 14, 2023 6:47 PM
Jun 2020
adesh17 said:
GreatCarerJack said:

What do you think?!

This plus Kizu completely spoils and ruins the mystery of Shinobu’s disappearance in Hanekawa’s arc
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kizumonogatari Part 1: Tekketsu-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Djidji - Jan 29, 2016

224 by otakuanity »»
Mar 25, 2:57 PM

» Disregarding the fact that the internal monologues were omitted, how good of an adaptation do the people who have watched the movie think it is?

Mado_Mura - Jan 10, 2016

6 by KleptoKritikal »»
Mar 5, 7:00 AM

Poll: » What would you do if you have your limbs chopped off, laying in the ground and no one notices you?

TheRayquaza - Jan 22

16 by dicloflom »»
Jan 23, 8:55 PM

» Needs the gore tag

RaltsPokemon - Dec 15, 2023

5 by RaltsPokemon »»
Dec 18, 2023 10:40 AM

» I was wrong, and I am a changed man

BestListMAL - Feb 7, 2023

26 by removed-user »»
Mar 25, 2023 6:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.