Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2023 8:39 AM
Oct 2020
Guinness World Record has recognized Boys Over Flowers as the most printed shoujo manga. Idk if it's just girls' comic (shoujo manga) from Japan, or girls' comic in general.
https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230421/p2a/00m/0et/002000c
Apr 21, 2023 9:13 AM

Feb 2016
Huh, really? I don't even know anybody who has read this. @HaruHaruLove @Fario-P @kihel What do you think?
その目だれの目?
Apr 21, 2023 10:22 AM

Aug 2010
I'm not sure why im tagged in this
but to answer your question "hana yori dango" is extremely famous, and it made it into TV dramas and stage plays
(ง`▽´)ง
Apr 21, 2023 4:31 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Lucifrost said:
Huh, really? I don't even know anybody who has read this. @HaruHaruLove @Fario-P @kihel What do you think?
I heard Boys Over Flowers is the best-selling shoujo manga of all time, but I'm also surprised considering I've never met anybody, in real life or online, who's actually read it! Same goes for the anime for that matter... maybe kihel has read it? I'm sure she's heard of it since she actually lives in Japan, where the manga seems to have sold the most to the point where it got a sequel serialized in a shounen magazine.
Apr 23, 2023 6:15 PM

Mar 2021
Ah, since my name has been nominated, I'll answer.

It's not a surprise that it is the best-selling shoujo manga in Japan, and its No. 1 ranking is not surprising; it is a manga that is read by almost everyone who likes shoujo manga in Japan, even though it is not highly rated or read by many people at MAL. I wonder if there is a shoujo manga lover in Japan who hasn't read this manga. I'd rather ask myself, "Does it even exist? Even men who mainly read shonen manga sometimes mention it as the only shoujo manga title they have read.

I think most women in their late 30s and early 40s have read it. I think most men in this generation have some idea of the contents of the manga just from the titles, even if they have never read the manga.

Although the anime version did not become popular, the live-action movie, drama, and musical (Takarazuka Revue) are among the successful ones, and in Asia, several countries have made live-action dramas of the series. Even if you are not interested in manga, if your favorite actor or idol appears in a live-action drama, you may get hooked and read the manga on which it is based. Therefore, women of various generations are reading the manga, and although it has been quite a few years since the series was completed, it is still selling well. There is a pattern of two generations of mothers and daughters getting hooked on the works.

I have read the manga, and I have reread it maybe three times. I also bought the manga for a while. I even bought Margaret, the manga magazine that serialized the work, for a period of time to read the serialization of the work.

Oct 27, 2023 10:49 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Fario-P
Lucifrost said:
I heard Boys Over Flowers is the best-selling shoujo manga of all time, but I'm also surprised considering I've never met anybody, in real life or online, who's actually read it! Same goes for the anime for that matter... maybe kihel has read it? I'm sure she's heard of it since she actually lives in Japan, where the manga seems to have sold the most to the point where it got a sequel serialized in a shounen magazine.
@Fario-P Boys over flowers have lots of Live action adaptation. It was first adapted as an audio drama released on CD from July 1993 to July 1994. This was followed by a Japanese live-action feature film in 1995, The first live-action television adaptation was one produced in Taiwan, titled Meteor Garden (2001). After Taiwan's Meteor Garden, a number of other live-action television adaptations have followed. A Japanese live-action series aired from 2005 to 2007 (and was followed by a 2008 film), a South Korean adaptation aired in 2009, a mainland Chinese adaptation, also titled Meteor Garden aired in 2018, and a Thai adaptation, F4 Thailand: Boys Over Flowers, was aired from 2021 to 2022.

Other then that there are 3 unofficial (unlicensed) adaptation by Indonesia, India and China.

Boys over flowers is really popular among the K drama fans. The Korean version is still considered as a classic by the K-Drama fans.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hana Yori Dango Chapter 244 Discussion (Including the One-shot)

TuzoAnime - Apr 16, 2010

14 by Monkey_D_Rosee »»
Apr 23, 7:45 AM

» Worth reading?

Vicis - Feb 9, 2009

5 by tsubasalover »»
Apr 19, 2023 3:48 PM

» Is there anyone who read this old manga?

Baka_Taku - Sep 1, 2022

2 by kihel »»
Mar 8, 2023 5:40 PM

Poll: » Hana Yori Dango Chapter 2 Discussion

xXAlpfie - Jan 31, 2010

1 by UfolyCloud »»
Feb 27, 2023 3:15 AM

Poll: » Hana Yori Dango Chapter 12 Discussion

sauveterre - Apr 22, 2012

2 by -Vaisravana- »»
Nov 22, 2021 7:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.