Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 19, 2023 1:36 PM

Aug 2016
I really want to watch this show because Rie Matsumoto's direction in Kekkai Sensen is a large reason as to why that's my all-time favorite anime, but the different versions of the show have me a bit confused (a confusion that has only grown when looking at another thread on this anime asking a similar question. So, how should I watch this? There seems to be the 2011 ONA, the 2012 5-episode ONA which is listed as a sequel, and this series which is listed as something entirely separate. Now, normally I would assume in a case like this that the ONAs were more of a test run that were readapted into a more polished tv series, but I saw reference to the ONAs containing some stuff not in the series, and that the viewing experience of the ONAs is very different from the show.

So TL;DR: What's the best viewing experience for this series?
Just the TV series? Release order with the ONAs? The series and then going back to the ONAs? Something else entirely? Something hyperspecific that would involve splicing parts of one show into another (I am probably massively overthinking things here)?

Edit: Also, is there a reason this TV series isn't listed as an adaptation of the manga while the ONAs are?
D-A-WApr 19, 2023 1:44 PM

Apr 19, 2023 1:45 PM

Jan 2017
D-A-W said:

If you want to watch everything , go for the release order , since it's an Original Anime.
If you want the "best" order , you should go for the TV Series , since it's the final product , and eventually watch the rest after.

From what i understood , this project was just an experiment of Toei.
Since the ONA from 2011 was not too bad , they did 5 more episodes in 2012.
And since the 2012 episodes weren't too bad , they did a true TV Series in 2013 out of this concept.

D-A-W said:
Edit: Also, is there a reason this TV series isn't listed as an adaptation of the manga while the ONAs are?

The original ONAs and the TV Series are probably different , despite using the same concept.
And since the Manga is an adaptation of the ONAs , but not of the TV Series , it's listed as such.
Alexioos95Apr 19, 2023 1:49 PM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Apr 19, 2023 1:50 PM

Aug 2016
Alexioos95 said:
D-A-W said:

If you want to watch everything , go for the release order , since it's an Original Anime.
If you want the "best" order , you should go for the TV Series , since it's the final product , and eventually watch the rest after.

From what i understood , this project was just an experiment of Toei.
Since the ONA from 2011 was not too bad , they did 5 more episodes in 2012.
And since the 2012 episodes weren't too bad , they did a true TV Series in 2013 out of this concept.

Thanks for the quick response! I think I'll try out release order.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2013

136 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2013

66 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:59 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2013

61 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:31 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2013

65 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Kyousou Giga (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 20, 2013

87 by sharosharo »»
Apr 17, 8:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.