Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

How is sword art online top 5 most popular anime despite having a low rating? Worth watching?

Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 24, 2023 3:14 PM
Oct 2021
tbh i see it more like a classic just reminds me of being young etc quite nostalgic
Mar 24, 2023 5:47 PM
Jan 2023
Not worth watching
Mar 24, 2023 7:42 PM

Apr 2015
Worth watching, like other's said, it's score got lowered mostly because it's the "cool" and "hip" thing to trash on SAO to a lot of people for some reason. 
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 24, 2023 8:01 PM
Nov 2021
Sao 1 is overhated, the 2nd is really mid and alicization is a great comeback,I’d recommend you to watch the first season and alicization since you won’t miss anything in gun gale online
Mar 25, 2023 1:22 AM

Aug 2021
Watch it and see for yourself. I'd say it's not as bad as some claim it to be and its low ratings mostly come from unfullfiled expectations of many, due to the huge shift of events in the 2nd half of s1. But it's still kinda classic and a lot of people keep talking about it to this day, so newcomers are likely to get familliar with SAO early on - thus its popularity.
Mar 25, 2023 1:40 AM
Oct 2021
its popular because of all the hate it got by being the escape goat of the isekai genre for years.. im glad it did tho, thanks to that i got to watch it and even ended up reading the Light Novels.. any publicity is good publicity.
Mar 25, 2023 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
It's overhated in my opinion. I would give it a shot if you're interested.
Mar 25, 2023 4:12 AM

May 2017
TheFireNinja said:
It's overhated in my opinion. I would give it a shot if you're interested.

i agree completely with this. i enjoyed it up until the romance (which is surprising because i'm a big romance fan, just thought it was done badly) but even so, i still don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be. also the music is really good 

“A sunflower field is like a sky with a thousand suns.” ― Corina Abdulahm Negura

Mar 25, 2023 5:35 AM
Jun 2021
Fischer77 said:
SOA has the 2nd lowest rating in the top 50, but it consistently has new users adding it to their list why is that when its generally considered mid? Am I missing something?  

It is an overhated show which had unique concept by the time it was actually released & also it's one of the anime you can recommend to a beginner

And yeah it's definitely worth watching
Mar 25, 2023 5:46 AM
Sep 2022
I honestly don't understand why is all the hate for SAO. Personally I love it and if u think Kirito just got a harem and they made him op, he had his struggles but if u don't like it just don't be a hater. It is easy to hate on a 2D character and not realize your own insecurities. You do you but there are ppl out there who like it like me and they would give SAO the raiting it deserves in there opinion.
No bad feelings!!!
Mar 25, 2023 7:05 AM
Jan 2019
it was always worth watching, great anime, it's not bad, just random people dropping one anime because of one single season (SAO 2nd season)
Mar 25, 2023 7:10 AM
Jan 2019
Graciaus said:
The first half is decent. Everything else is not.

biggest lie ever, SAO alicization was the best of all times you didn't watch it probably or just have a crazy mind.
Mar 25, 2023 7:13 AM
Jan 2019
Elena_Chon said:
Sao was an amazing anime. The plot, the characters, it was really good. But the last seasons were a disaster for me. I kept watching it just because I drop rarely something. I always hoped for a better next ep but it kept getting worse. Its worth watching for the first 2 seasons. After that it's a downhill. The vibes are not the same. Especially the last season that the main character is useless but we keep watching him. What's the f purpose on that!

Are you crazy? saying the season was bad just because he was in a wheelchair, bro the last seasons was the best ones, you definitely miss something, or didn't watch properly or it's your brain
Mar 25, 2023 7:38 AM
Jan 2021
I mean, it’s a good show tbh. From a lot of trash that gets love these days, this should get more love. It used to be held in high regard until anitubers. But tbh, it doesn’t really matter. You should try it, if you like it, watch it, if you don’t, drop it.

I think people need to be a little open minded about SAO these days, but to each their own.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Mar 25, 2023 8:45 AM

Oct 2014
The irony behind the low score is that it's actually a product of how overrated the anime once was. When I joined MAL it was rated 8.2, in fact it was in the high 8s when it started airing, but people's perception of the show changed over time and it became common to hate on the anime just for being too popular and high rated for its own good. On IMDB it's rated a bit higher at 7.5/10 despite IMDB tending to rate things lower in general so I think there is a bit of a bias on MAL of people intentionally rating it low out of spite for it being so popular.

It's not a terrible show, it's perfectly adequate, it just doesn't deserve the praise it once got and now people have overcorrected and it's ended up with an even lower rating than it might actually deserve. Imo the best part of the franchise is Gun Gale Online Alternative, which isn't even written by Reki Kawahara.
Mar 25, 2023 9:03 AM

Feb 2014
In my humble opinion, a bunch of prags and slapnuts review bombed it in a sad attempt to appear intellectually superior. Watch it and form your own opinion, it's the only one that matters
That's the problem with eternal damnation, you get used to it after a while
Mar 25, 2023 9:07 AM
Feb 2023
the first arc is great, second one is kinda weird, second season is pure trash. it may worth watch it tho bc it's really popular
Mar 25, 2023 12:18 PM
Mar 2023
Eternix said:
Elena_Chon said:
Sao was an amazing anime. The plot, the characters, it was really good. But the last seasons were a disaster for me. I kept watching it just because I drop rarely something. I always hoped for a better next ep but it kept getting worse. Its worth watching for the first 2 seasons. After that it's a downhill. The vibes are not the same. Especially the last season that the main character is useless but we keep watching him. What's the f purpose on that!

Are you crazy? saying the season was bad just because he was in a wheelchair, bro the last seasons was the best ones, you definitely miss something, or didn't watch properly or it's your brain

It's not just that for me. It was just boring for my likes. I expected more. I felt like every ep is a filler and wasting my time.

And pls next time watch your words. I just expressed my opinion, so saying my brain is not okay it's not a very polite way to talk to someone.
Mar 25, 2023 12:21 PM
Dec 2022
we live in a world where a 72% is somehow considered bad these days lol

you do realize 7/10 on this website indicated " good " right? so the score shows it is a bit better than good
Mar 25, 2023 3:16 PM

Mar 2021
SAO has largely lost its popularity over the years. It just exploded during the dawn of the internet
The top 5 actual popular anime should be like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Demon Slayer, AOT
Look at the box office
Ordinal Scale [ $38.3 million]
Aria of a Starless [ US$14.03 million]
Scherzo_of_Deep_Night [ US$8.69 million]

Some people might say it started the isekai genre but even the most popular isekai don't exactly have that high sales. Re Zero, Overlord, Konosuba capped at 14K which cannot carry a company as large as Kadokawa. Aniplex releases like Saenai Heroine has 18K and Lycoris Recoil had double of what Re Zero, Overlord, Konosuba had at their peak in today's streaming economy
Mar 25, 2023 5:03 PM
Mar 2023
It’s because it has a badass protagonist that 14 year olds can project themselves on to. It’s the same reason so many shit on Evangelion because it doesn’t have that.
Mar 25, 2023 5:25 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
The anime actually isn't that bad, it's not the best but it's decent, just could be better but many people are bandwagon sheep who thinks hating SAO is cool and can't form their own opinion without being a sheep, hence the low rating :D

Just please watch it without being affected by those sheep opinion and form your own opinion :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 26, 2023 12:46 AM
Jul 2022
I enjoyed it just as I got older I feel like I finally realized some of the weird things that happened and for being a shounen style issekai it includes alot of touchy matters nut if you can get passed the edgy fanservice that's far and spread out but huts you like a train to fairly enjoyable
Mar 26, 2023 6:43 AM

Apr 2022
Some ppl hate on SAO I guess. I didn't really like SAO but I don't see what was so wrong with the show, it's just not my thing.
“I won’t rely on anyone anymore. I don’t care if no one understands.” – Homura Akemi
Mar 26, 2023 11:33 AM
Oct 2021
it was one of the first anime i remember watching and so it feels iconic to me. i enjoyed it so id recommend it
Mar 26, 2023 1:09 PM

Jul 2022
even if it has not a great rating i think it's an anime that everyone should watch in their life. Not the best anime existed but absolutely worth watching
Mar 27, 2023 2:51 AM
Mar 2016
Try it for yourself. other people hate because they have seen someone else do it. SAO is goated.
Mar 27, 2023 2:04 PM

Oct 2020
It's a Show that Started a Whold New Genre, popularized it so much that It's now considered as a mainstream classic. Yeah, the first always have flaws, n SAO have tons of flaws but the Concept, the mechanics it used is something Big Companies are now Working on, and SAO started it first. That's why.

It's worth watching, if You just want Chara dev or just world building kinda stuff then better not watch it AND DON'T JUDGE IT. But if You want to know why it's popular then go give it a try.
Please watch Sword Art Online Progressive, it's the peak of SAO.
Mar 28, 2023 2:18 PM
Feb 2023
Theo1899 said:
It's not that bad. Also "guy gets stuck in a video game, grinds and becomes OP" is an appealing concept for many.

Reminds me of something
Apr 4, 2023 10:05 PM
Feb 2023
I think most people forget MAL even admitted SAO was review bombed twice, in early 2014 and late 2016.
Thanks to a couple of YouTube anime commentators figured out that trashing SAO get them a lot of views, which at the time translated to YouTube money. 
Apr 10, 2023 10:04 AM
Apr 13, 2023 9:57 AM
May 2020
SAO isn't a masterpiece, but it's definitely worth the watch, especially since the premise is very interesting.
Apr 17, 2023 11:48 AM
May 2022
It’s an ok anime. I had fun watching it as my first anime years ago. But there are so many Better anime out there as well. It’s very flawed and not the best show in the world but a lot of people like it so might be worth at least checking out.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.