Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 21, 2023 2:41 PM
Feb 2017
I know it's a little weird to talk about an anime that ended three years ago but somehow I watched it again for some reason and figured I'll post this.

While always possible, a season 4 is very unlikely at this point, since the source material (the manga) has already ended. This is very unfortunate since the anime only adapts around half of the manga.

If you want to switch to the manga - First of all I highly recommend not watching the last episode of this season (ep 24). The adaptation is very faithful to the original material up until episode 23 - which unfortunately has a really bad ending and I guess they felt they couldn't end the anime on that note so they added an extra episode, which is actually not a side story or a filler; if anything it's worse - it just a mix of scenes from later chapters in the manga, but with a lot of skips and a lot of important things left out. It's basically there to give a happier ending to people who don't intend to switch to the manga, but if you do switch to the manga, it's actually a huge spoiler.

Anyway, watch until episode 23, then start the manga from chapter 139.

Cheers.
Feb 21, 2023 8:43 PM
Jul 2022
I think the mangaka expressed interest in a season 4 on twitter, and there was a teaser poster from the studio, so I’m not hopeless on the anime continuing. It’s really one of the best anime/manga of all time.
Feb 22, 2023 2:45 AM

Dec 2019
jaamun100 said:
I think the mangaka expressed interest in a season 4 on twitter, and there was a teaser poster from the studio, so I’m not hopeless on the anime continuing. It’s really one of the best anime/manga of all time.

You just made my day
Feb 22, 2023 4:56 AM

Sep 2017
I ended up starting the manga from the beginning after the manga concluded last year, including the final bonus chapter. I’d recommend reading the entire thing personally. It helps get in the mindset of the manga itself, plus there are a few things here and there that aren’t shown in the anime.
I wish more people watched Chobits.
Feb 22, 2023 6:42 PM
Aug 2020
Thx , i was still hoping for an s4 for this masterclass
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Feb 23, 2023 9:14 AM
Feb 2017
Just that I don't remember a case where an anime got a new season after the original material (manga or LN) had already concluded.

EDIT: Also, that rusherd last episode of season 3. It includes scenes from later chapters but with a lot of content missing and gives a vibe of "we need this because we don't want the anime to have a bad ending". Previous seasons did not have that; they were very faithful to the original material. If there's ever a season 4 it'll have to repeat most of the scenes in s3e24 in order to include all the stuff that was cut out of it.
NiQ1Feb 23, 2023 9:20 AM
Mar 11, 2023 11:08 AM
Jun 2021
NiQ1 said:
I know it's a little weird to talk about an anime that ended three years ago but somehow I watched it again for some reason and figured I'll post this.

While always possible, a season 4 is very unlikely at this point, since the source material (the manga) has already ended. This is very unfortunate since the anime only adapts around half of the manga.

If you want to switch to the manga - First of all I highly recommend not watching the last episode of this season (ep 24). The adaptation is very faithful to the original material up until episode 23 - which unfortunately has a really bad ending and I guess they felt they couldn't end the anime on that note so they added an extra episode, which is actually not a side story or a filler; if anything it's worse - it just a mix of scenes from later chapters in the manga, but with a lot of skips and a lot of important things left out. It's basically there to give a happier ending to people who don't intend to switch to the manga, but if you do switch to the manga, it's actually a huge spoiler.

Cheers.

I finished chihayafuru JUST NOW! So it’s not weird and I appreciate you!
Mar 18, 2023 3:38 AM
Dec 2021
There was a 6 years gap from from season 2 to season 3 so I won't lose hope yet.
Mar 22, 2023 10:19 AM
Feb 2017
perfectionFound said:
There was a 6 years gap from from season 2 to season 3 so I won't lose hope yet.

As I said the manga has already been concluded. With the exception of some shows that had hundreds of episodes (Naruto, Fairy Tail etc.) I don't remember a case where a new season of an anime has been announced after the source material had been concluded. Kinda makes sense because by now all fans already know how the story ends.
Mar 23, 2023 2:32 AM
Dec 2009
NiQ1 said:

Cheers.

Thanks for this. Hopefully I remember WHEN I get there. 

And no...it's not weird to talk about an anime that ended years ago. Some of us are still taking a while to catch up! xD
Jul 21, 2023 1:40 AM

Jul 2021
well reading this thread just made me lose hope for a season 4. i finsihed season 3 like ten minutes back. one of the greatest animes i've watched. i really want to know what happens next but seeing the chances of season 4 are so slim i will have to read the manga and i'm not sure if it will be as exciting as the anime without those fast motions. animation is a part which made chihayfuru so great, without the poems being read, without the music, atmosphere, i don't know if i will be able to enjoy reading the manga as much.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 21, 2023 10:19 AM
Feb 2017
TsutanaiFuun said:
well reading this thread just made me lose hope for a season 4. i finsihed season 3 like ten minutes back. one of the greatest animes i've watched. i really want to know what happens next but seeing the chances of season 4 are so slim i will have to read the manga and i'm not sure if it will be as exciting as the anime without those fast motions. animation is a part which made chihayfuru so great, without the poems being read, without the music, atmosphere, i don't know if i will be able to enjoy reading the manga as much.
Certain websites (which I can't link to) have already fan-translated the entire manga all the way to the end, including the bonus chapter.
Jul 21, 2023 12:40 PM

Jul 2021
NiQ1 said:
TsutanaiFuun said:
Certain websites (which I can't link to) have already fan-translated the entire manga all the way to the end, including the bonus chapter.
yeah i can find the manga but i was wondering if it will just as as fun as the anime. someone else in another thread said that even the manga is pretty nice so i'm gonna start reading from chapter 138.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jul 31, 2023 8:04 AM
Jul 2023
Hey, Thank you for the Info :)
I will do that!
Sep 19, 2023 5:34 PM
Mar 2020
thank you for this!! I'm just starting a re-watch of all seasons but I still feel sick whenever I think about the very last episode - I'll take your advice and pick up the manga when I'm done
Sep 30, 2023 5:40 AM
Feb 2023
Thank you! I just finished the last season, but thanks to you, I didn't watch the last episode. I love the story so much that, even though I've never read manga before, I'm going to make an exception just for this anime. I really wish there were more seasons, but I don't have much hope.
Jan 14, 7:04 PM
Jun 2009
there is going to be a final season for the story and it is pretty ridiculous to think otherwise. just wait for it
Feb 4, 8:33 AM

Oct 2018
Reply to NiQ1
perfectionFound said:

As I said the manga has already been concluded. With the exception of some shows that had hundreds of episodes (Naruto, Fairy Tail etc.) I don't remember a case where a new season of an anime has been announced after the source material had been concluded. Kinda makes sense because by now all fans already know how the story ends.
@NiQ1 Hopefully, they make one now, given just how common it has gotten to adapt fully completed shows now. I mean, just this season we have Solo Levelling, Dungeon Meshi, Shaman King, Urusei Yatsura, Sengoku Youko and Hikari no Ou airing when all of them have long ended the original manga/manwha.
Mar 11, 3:01 PM

Dec 2017
Reply to NiQ1
perfectionFound said:

@NiQ1 Kimi ni Todoke is getting a new season and the manga ended 7 years ago (last anime season was 13 years ago), there is still hope for Chihayafuru S4.
Mar 21, 2:01 AM
Feb 2017
Reply to oNephalem
@NiQ1 Kimi ni Todoke is getting a new season and the manga ended 7 years ago (last anime season was 13 years ago), there is still hope for Chihayafuru S4.
@oNephalem Yeah, a few anime have been getting new seasons after the original material ended, Honzuki is another example. However I wouldn't count on Chihayafuru because of the last episode of season 3.
Chihayafuru anime never strayed away from the source material. Everything was exactly 1:1, which is the reason you don't have to read everything from chapter 1 if you switch to the manga. The third season was no exception - except for the last episode. By all means, episode 23 (the penultimate) should have been the end of the season, except that it ends with a cliffhanger and in a bad turning point in the plot that would've left a bitter taste for viewers. If a 4th season were incoming that wouldn't be such a bad stopping point, but you can't really end the entire anime like this. That's why they made episode 24, which is basically a mash of cut-down scenes from several chapters ahead with a lot of content skipped or changed. They just did it cause they didn't want to end the series on a bad note. If a 4th season is ever released it would need to completely ignore episode 24 and pick up where 23 ends. You can't know the future but it's very obvious that at least when season 3 was made it was intended to be the last.

More topics from this board

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

shanimebib - Jan 14, 2020

126 by realfifi »»
Dec 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2019

105 by Katsu-kun »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:35 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2020

185 by chiakimagoto »»
Aug 11, 2023 11:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.