Forum Settings
Forums

If you could select one of each, which of your favorites do you believe to be the most unique or one of a kind? And conversely, which is the most generic?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 31, 2023 8:40 AM

Jan 2023
Most unique: Eighty-Six
Most generic: Kaguya-Sama Love is War

Profile   ●   Website

Jan 31, 2023 9:14 AM

Sep 2021
most unique is definitely Mononoke
and most generic might be Vinland Saga
Jan 31, 2023 3:08 PM

Aug 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
True. It's difficult to say which perspective, if any, it actively endorsed, or if it was just showcasing them. And then, as always, the individual viewer brings the baggage of their own subjective interpretation and filter to it - "The author is dead" and all that. Either way, we need more iyashikei in the least expected settings, providing philosophical grist for the mill or not. It would be nice if there were at least one per season.
Fingers crossed for a Shimeji Simulation adaptation.
Jan 31, 2023 3:29 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Interesting question. I suppose for anime:
Unique: Tatami Galaxy
Generic: After the Rain
Jan 31, 2023 3:42 PM

May 2018
Generic: Mondaiji (its more than just funny op punching boy in another world tho)

Unique: Durarara (I like how everyone has their own spotlights) 

Jan 31, 2023 7:55 PM

Jan 2021
The most generic is easily Dragon Ball Z, because every other Shonen after it copied it.

Most unique is probably Patlabor 2, I do think that Ghost in the Shell is similar, but it still a very rare kind.
Jan 31, 2023 9:28 PM
Aug 2018
Most unique: Lain
Most generic: FMA B

Jan 31, 2023 9:54 PM
May 2022
All of my personal favorites are rather peculiarly wacky. I would instantly disregard any generic animes like modern romcoms, harems, overrated shonen actions general consensus appreciate.
Feb 1, 2023 10:04 AM

Jun 2019
Mercury-Lamp said:
Revolutionary Girl Utena is the most singular, the skillful use of surrealism and most importantly the rigourous handling and execution of its themes make it stand out from the rest. It also has a distinct visual style, which doesn't come across too often. As for the most common one, hmm... I suppose both Saiunkoku Monogatari and The Twelve Kingdoms are candidates. Their main topic is political intrigue. Whilst that's common, having a historical setting for both series makes them a little different from other titles focused on political intrigue out there, but not by much. Action being more present in The Twelve Kingdoms plays a part too. So yeah, it's those two. I can't pick out just one because they're more or less equal in this aspect. As for whether they exist in harmony with the rest of my favourites, I think they do. What all five of my favourites have in common is proper, tight and cohesive storytelling that doesn't veer much into light-hearted territory. Innovation and ordinariness aside, the aforementioned qualities are what link them all together.
What a magnificent sense of self-awareness. It seems as if your selection of favorites would be quite representative of you (as far as an anime can be) with such demonstrated awareness and intent. Thank you for the thorough breakdown and answer.
Feb 1, 2023 12:34 PM

Jul 2020
BurningCarnationFeb 1, 2023 2:30 PM
Feb 1, 2023 2:53 PM

Aug 2011
Most unique: Golden Kamuy because it's the first time I've seen an anime share indigenous Ainu culture, good action, and comedy all in one
Most generic: March Comes in Like a Lion because it can be seen as just another high school anime about teen MCs and the drama/angst they experience.
desu desu binches
Feb 2, 2023 5:51 AM

Oct 2021
Most Unique: Propobaly "La Maison en Petitus Cube" since it is a silent short movie and only 12 minutes long (It just does something that takes most anime series 12 - 24 it does it in the most short span of time and it is also grows very relatable as I grow older)

Most Generic: Propbaly Yuru camp is just another relaxing anime which is not really unique
Feb 2, 2023 6:57 AM

Feb 2016
cornonacob said:
Most unique: Golden Kamuy because it's the first time I've seen an anime share indigenous Ainu culture, good action, and comedy all in one
You may wish to try Utawarerumono, though it is fantasy and not as good as Golden Kamuy.
その目だれの目?
Feb 2, 2023 7:19 AM

Dec 2019
Most unique - One Piece
Most generic - Sword Art Online (even though its my favorite)
Feb 3, 2023 10:53 AM

May 2021
As far as anime favorites go.

Most Unique: either Ergo Proxy or Serial Experiments Lain (mostly because of how their narrative is structured, but it's hard for me to choose which one I'd consider more unique). Well, I guess a couple of others, like Texhnolyze, could also fit, but I'll leave it at Ergo Proxy and Lain.

Most Generic: Owari no Seraph (pretty straightforward in almost every aspect, but not any less beloved by me, if not more than most favorites). Other potential candidates would probably include Digimon Adventure (I don't think it's generic, as far as kids shows go) and Code Geass (I think that at least the ending, if nothing else, saves if from being named the most generic).

WatchTillTandava said:
And do they co-exist on your list in harmony in spite of what they are or because of it?
They certainly do co-exist in harmony, all of them, and I'd say it's because of what they are :) each one of them contributed something special to my experience with anime or my life in general that others couldn't, so they're all like a big happy family lol complementing each other as parts of the whole, in a way. I attempted to order them mostly based on how strong of an impact they had on me, in what way it manifested itself and for how long I've felt that strong connection. 
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

3 by LostSpectre »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

63 by EpicO4 »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

62 by LostSpectre »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

22 by Ohayotaku »»
7 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

7 by NubFix »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.