Forum Settings
Forums
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 27, 2023 2:47 AM

May 2016
I didn't really plan to make a discussion thread on this series but I'm seriously pissed off after reading this volume, so I decided to make one to express what's going through my mind.

Before getting into details, let me start off by mentioning that over 3/4th portion of this volume was absolutely amazing (like volume 7). The way the author tried to express the true meaning of relationships and its cost through character interactions, like the one with Mizusawa and Ashigaru-san was beautiful and truly thought provoking, albeit not perfect. Though I have some complaints about the interactions with the resident slut Rena-chan, but it's better I leave it at that. My point being, the author really managed to break down the logic and emotions involved in the story to the tiniest details and it was a pleasure reading through each and every sentence he put so much thought into. Even the story of Kikuchi-san's new novel and her interactions with Tomozaki in that sewing classroom#2, to bring out to light, his true desire, buried deep inside his heart was very well done. BUT....

WTF was those last two chapters. What in the world was the author thinking after creating so much clarity about what's truly "special", to outright discard the entire point of this volume, to push even further, the fake and forced relationship between Kikuchi and Tomozaki. Don't tell me he's going to pull a HataMaou and plans to get those two together in the end. If that's how it's going to turn out, I'm dropping this shit.

本当 むかつく! もう 知らん!!

What the author is trying to do with Tomozaki in the latter part of the volume doesn't make any sense. Tomozaki's actions are getting even dumber after all the advice he got from Mizusawa and Ashigaru-san. And I thought his strong point was to use what he learnt through others to clearly find the optimal solution to move forward. But after all the advice he got and clearly acknowledging that Hinami is more important to him than anyone else, he straight up goes to that bitch Rena-chan for advice to fix his fake relationship with Kikuchi. Then he does incomprehensible stuff like cutting off his genuine relationships with his friends and classmates, that's more important to him than his phoney connection with Kikuchi, as evident from volume 8. But thanks to The Best Girl Mimimi, atleast he managed to get back on the right track. I'm fine up to this point in the story even though a lot of stuff don't make sense. But then instead of following through with his decision to break up with Kikuchi, the author not only makes him accept this sham of a relationship, but also deepens it by adding pointless drama and tops it off with a corny kiss scene that no one asked for. Then they go on to accept that special couple badge thingy handed down as tradition in the school. Is this a hint suggesting that the author wants them to end up together in the end? Does he have a soft spot for Kikuchi because she's also an author?

This would have been 9/10 volume if he had just broke up with Kikuchi and pursued things that really mattered to him like his gaming carrier. I still can't figure out why he chose Kikuchi over others in volume 7 in the first place, when he spends all his time with Hinami (who is a special existence to him) and Mimimi (who even confessed to him). After reading this volume, it feels like the author is forcing the Kikuchi route even though the entire story is about the lonely top gamer "nanashi" meeting another top gamer "NONAME" who is also lonely deep down and together forging a meaningful special relationship that's far greater than any friendship or cheap romance, to fix their loneliness. I'm sure the majority of LN fans would want to see more Hinami x Tomozaki relationship over this bullshit drama with Kikuchi. Even the final chapter of this volume was appalling. After all the interactions Tomozaki had and advice he got to better understand Hinami and his own self, he confronts her with terrible conclusions. She did all those amazing things for him by sacrificing her time to confirm to herself that the methods she adopted are correct?? If that's truly the conclusion the author want to give us, I call that cheap writing. But it seemed to me like Hinami was, for the very first time in this LN series, truly hurt by what Tomozaki told her. So, maybe there's more to it than meets the eye. We'll only know for sure in the latter volumes. But to be honest, I've lost my interest in this series after reading this volume. I most likely won't be reading any further volumes if the author is going with the Kikuchi route.

Whew, anyway, if anyone managed to read this far, you might be thinking I'm getting a bit too worked up over some stupid LN. Well yes, you're absolutely right. Just consider this as some random rant from someone who got high after binge reading multiple volumes of a series. I probably won't even remember how I felt about this whole LN after a few days, so I can only rant now haha.

PS: If anyone who have read past volume 10 come across this comment in the future, I'd appreciate it if you let me know how the story is proceeding forward without too many spoilers. I might pick it up again if the story gets better in the future.

Feb 3, 2023 3:39 AM
Oct 2017
You made a thread for chapter 9 not volume 9~~
Feb 5, 2023 10:26 PM

May 2016
Jesse-kun said:
Apparently, I'm unable to edit the title of the discussion threads after the new changes they made to this site. When you start a new volume discussion thread, it automatically names the title as "Chapter X Discussion". In the past, I was able to edit the title but now for some reason it's not possible.

Feb 6, 2023 3:01 AM
Oct 2017
AngelofFrost said:
Jesse-kun said:
Apparently, I'm unable to edit the title of the discussion threads after the new changes they made to this site. When you start a new volume discussion thread, it automatically names the title as "Chapter X Discussion". In the past, I was able to edit the title but now for some reason it's not possible.
I see. How unfortunate.
Mar 27, 2023 11:51 AM
Apr 2016
AngelofFrost said:

Whew, anyway, if anyone managed to read this far, you might be thinking I'm getting a bit too worked up over some stupid LN. Well yes, you're absolutely right. Just consider this as some random rant from someone who got high after binge reading multiple volumes of a series. I probably won't even remember how I felt about this whole LN after a few days, so I can only rant now haha.
Came across this thread and I agree, the ending parts did feel off. I love this LN but the Kikuchi and Tomozaki parts at the end felt really forced. I'll keep reading but I genuinely hope the story gets better
Jul 20, 2023 6:53 AM
Aug 2018
You wrote almost all the things I felt correctly. So let me add on.
This volume was mostly about him fixing his relationship with kikuchi so it was a good point for their break up but after their patch up it got even more strong, even I'm feeling like dropping it now. Like I don't understand the author. For the first I don't even know what tomozaki likes about kikuchi, whenever they meet he's always like angel and all but they don't know anything about each other. Whereas with hinami he's totally compatible like their likes and all, and personality. If it's author's wish to see them together ok then but I think he did dirty with us to rile us up for hinami x tomozaki(I'm sorry I love mimimi but I want hinatomo)
So what is he going to do in the end after making hinami fall for him for making her life fun, he's just gonna say sorry like with mimimi(that was really heart wreaking moment).
That's why I don't like harems man, this would have been good with just one love interest to not disappoint the readers and be happy himself.
There were so many points that hinted kikutomo to not happen like fireworks festival, and school fest arc rejection through play, and fallout in this volume but no author plans on going to make them successful no matter what.
Ughh man I'm tired of these Roms not going the most expected route.
No hate to kikuchi but whats so great about her?
Jul 24, 2023 1:45 AM
Apr 2021
Insincerity in the fuka-tomo relationship could become Hinami's trump card to strike back at Tomozaki if he talks about his ideology again in the future.
Apr 6, 10:24 AM
Dec 2022
I wish for Tomozaki and Fuuka to be together because he wants his relationship with her to be real.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Volume 7 Discussion

NaughtySempai - Nov 17, 2022

4 by Mreci1 »»
May 5, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Chapter 8 Discussion

tywhoppity - May 3, 2022

3 by Mreci1 »»
May 4, 12:10 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Volume 5 Discussion

FireFistYK - Dec 5, 2020

4 by MH93 »»
Dec 26, 2023 7:37 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Volume 4 Discussion

animejas - Sep 28, 2020

1 by MH93 »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:16 PM

» Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Volume 6.5 Discussion

tywhoppity - Sep 10, 2021

3 by light_straight »»
May 13, 2023 11:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.