Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2022 9:46 AM
Jun 2021
[Spoiler] > Steins;Gate and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

premises:

• it is objective that Steins;Gate is very different from Higurashi.

• when evaluating the aspect of "time travel" , both series handle it differently.

• I'm excluding SG;0 in which the time travel became the means to save the world, to have a better future

when comparing S;G and Higurashi they share the same reasons and the same whims,
we see two protagonist who torture their souls in an attempt to save their friends from death,
and the mechanisms that lead to the death of the victims are comparable, differing only in their circumstances.
both series share the fact of being stuck in a time loop, in an effort to save loved ones from death, in which the only way to win is taking action in order to change the timeline/destiny.

knowing that Higurashi was born long enough before Steins;Gate , my conclusion is that S;G took inspiration From This Aspect of the Higurashi.

these are not theories, these are observations based on publicly available material, such as Anime, Manga, Video Games.

what is your opinion?
PekyoOct 16, 2022 11:23 AM
Oct 16, 2022 10:31 AM
Feb 2019
From what I heard Steins Gate actually took heavy inspiration from Yu-No, also known as the Grandfather of Time Travel Visual Novels which was created waay before Higurashi.
Oct 16, 2022 10:37 AM
Oct 2020
Pekyo said:

premises:

• when evaluating the aspect of "time travel" , both series handle it differently.

• I'm excluding SG;0 in which the time travel became the means to save the world, to have a better future

when comparing S;G and Higurashi they share the same reasons and the same whims,
we see two protagonist who torture their souls in an attempt to save their friends from death,
and the mechanisms that lead to the death of the victims are comparable, differing only in their circumstances.
both series share the fact of being stuck in a time loop, in an effort to save loved ones from death, in which the only way to win is taking action in order to change the timeline/destiny.

knowing that Higurashi was born long enough before Steins;Gate , my conclusion is that S;G took inspiration From This Aspect of the Higurashi.

these are not theories, these are observations based on publicly available material, such as Anime and Manga.

what is your opinion?

There is a japanese novel from 2004 called All You Need is Kill, if you read the time travel premise do you say that it is inspired on Higurashi too? 🤨
Oct 16, 2022 10:47 AM
Jun 2021
DragonSlayer1989 said:
Pekyo said:

premises:

these are not theories, these are observations based on publicly available material, such as Anime and Manga.

what is your opinion?

There is a japanese novel from 2004 called All You Need is Kill, if you read the time travel premise do you say that it is inspired on Higurashi too? 🤨

Higurashi was born in 2002,
Later in became an Anime and also the first Popular series that used this “set-up”,
As the author said, Higurashi was born after several sources of inspiration.
But was the first one to get Popular as it was.

at the time the availability of informative resources wasn’t as large as it is today.
Meaning that the most popular was also the most influential in its niche
PekyoOct 16, 2022 4:06 PM
Oct 16, 2022 10:57 AM
Jun 2021
filimaua13 said:
From what I heard Steins Gate actually took heavy inspiration from Yu-No, also known as the Grandfather of Time Travel Visual Novels which was created waay before Higurashi.

I don’t know where you heard it,
but I wasn’t able to find any useful material about Yu-No first version in 1996, as it wasn’t that relevant.
I have found about the new version of 2019 and it flopped.
In 2002 Higurashi came out and has taken more popularity than Yu-No, so it is more likely that Higurashi made this concept Popular
(excuse my english)
PekyoOct 16, 2022 11:19 AM
Oct 16, 2022 11:24 AM
Jul 2018
When watching i heard some ost that reminded me of higurashi ost
Oct 16, 2022 11:47 AM

Jun 2016
Pekyo said:
filimaua13 said:

but I wasn’t able to find any useful material about Yu-No first version in 1996, as it wasn’t that relevant.
In 2002 Higurashi came out and has taken more popularity than Yu-No, so it is more likely that Higurashi made this concept Popular
(excuse my english)

The other guy might be right

Steins;Gate was inspired by earlier visual novels written by Hiroyuki Kanno. These include Eve Burst Error (1995), and most notably the time-travel adventure YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World (1996).[47][48]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steins;Gate
Oct 16, 2022 12:08 PM
Jun 2021
Usagi-san-chan said:
Pekyo said:

(excuse my english)

Steins;Gate was inspired by earlier visual novels written by Hiroyuki Kanno. These include Eve Burst Error (1995), and most notably the time-travel adventure YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World (1996).[47][48]

Thank you for sharing sources :)

How well do you know these 2 games?

Eve Burst Error is an еrоtic Game that has nothing in common with Steins;Gate
I am surprised to read this from wikipedia

But, when talking about Yu-No something is true, since Yu-No use the concept of parallel worlds and time traveling Devices.

so it is not wrong, but i wasn’t talking about these aspects.
I am referring to something that has to do with the pure Plot of the series
Oct 16, 2022 12:44 PM

May 2016
Pekyo said:
Usagi-san-chan said:

But, when talking about Yu-No something is true, since Yu-No use the concept of parallel worlds and time traveling Devices.

Steins;Gate's route structure is basically that you can choose from the 5 main girls. So it has "erotic" elements in a sense
-
Oct 16, 2022 12:48 PM
Jun 2021
SciADV_Maniac said:
Pekyo said:

Steins;Gate's route structure is basically that you can choose from the 5 main girls. So it has "erotic" elements in a sense

Damn, you got me 😂
Oct 16, 2022 3:37 PM

Jun 2016
“ Kojiroh is a private investigator down on his luck, tasked with recovering a piece of art, while beautiful intelligence agent Marina must protect the daughter of a Japanese embassy official.”

https://www.rpgfan.com/review/eve-burst-error/

“A mystery behind the Eldian Government…Who is trustworthy? What is going on behind the scenes? Everyone has something to hide, and you learn more and more things as time passes. Some are useless. Some are false, and some are crucial to victory. Everything is completely logical..”

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/567489-eve-burst-error/reviews/45582

It does look similar : “MC has to find out some secret but also protect someone”
Oct 16, 2022 3:54 PM
Jun 2021
Usagi-san-chan said:
“ Kojiroh is a private investigator down on his luck, tasked with recovering a piece of art, while beautiful intelligence agent Marina must protect the daughter of a Japanese embassy official.”

https://www.rpgfan.com/review/eve-burst-error/

“A mystery behind the Eldian Government…Who is trustworthy? What is going on behind the scenes? Everyone has something to hide, and you learn more and more things as time passes. Some are useless. Some are false, and some are crucial to victory. Everything is completely logical..”

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/567489-eve-burst-error/reviews/45582

It does look similar : “MC has to find out some secret but also protect someone”

I appreciate the fact that you are informed,
but there are gameplay on internet that, to my eyes, aren’t similar to S;G

it seems that you are talking about S;G taking Material inspiration from other sources,
And my observation was different

I am talking about what happens during the series, the mechanism of the plot is almost identical to Higurashi
PekyoOct 16, 2022 4:04 PM
Oct 16, 2022 4:15 PM

Jun 2015
I like Higurashi, but I don't think S;G took much inspiration from it, if any at all. They're similar, yes. But authors spend a long, long time creating their worlds, themes, intricacies, so I don't think the timeframe makes sense. However, both Higu and S;G's authors were most likely inspired by the same sources, or at least similar ones.
Oct 16, 2022 4:26 PM
Jun 2021
certainmiracle said:
I like Higurashi, but I don't think S;G took much inspiration from it, if any at all. They're similar, yes. But authors spend a long, long time creating their worlds, themes, intricacies, so I don't think the timeframe makes sense. However, both Higu and S;G's authors were most likely inspired by the same sources, or at least similar ones.

I myself can’t have the certainty about my conclusion, I have not worked for the production of S;G

Therefore your opinion is correct, as much as I think mine is.
PekyoOct 16, 2022 4:34 PM
Oct 20, 2022 4:28 AM
Sep 2020
As both of them originate visual novels, they are independently good if you focus only on their anime adaptations. For me, I couldn't even compare both of them as both of them have two long stories, different settings, and character developments and backgrounds. However, a blurred line between them is the way they set unpredictable things that may happen along the way. Its dynamic plot and wonderful set of characters of both stories are wonderfully written; as a matter of fact, both studios managed to nail this, even with Higurashi's long storyline.
Oct 20, 2022 11:00 AM
Jun 2021
paradoxine23 said:
As both of them originate visual novels, they are independently good if you focus only on their anime adaptations. For me, I couldn't even compare both of them as both of them have two long stories, different settings, and character developments and backgrounds. However, a blurred line between them is the way they set unpredictable things that may happen along the way. Its dynamic plot and wonderful set of characters of both stories are wonderfully written; as a matter of fact, both studios managed to nail this, even with Higurashi's long storyline.

They are 2 awesome stories 👍🏻
I didn’t mean to compare them since they are so different…
What i find very interesting is that the mechanism of the plot is exactly the same, of course I am not considering the vast difference in contents between the two series
Oct 23, 2022 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
I feel like you could do this with almost any anime series that have at least one genre in common (Drama/Suspense/Time Travel/ In this case). Hell look at Isekai, at this point that genre is a giant circle jerk lol
Oct 23, 2022 11:03 AM
Jun 2021
Calumity said:
I feel like you could do this with almost any anime series that have at least one genre in common (Drama/Suspense/Time Travel/ In this case). Hell look at Isekai, at this point that genre is a giant circle jerk lol

True.
but I hope it is not a justification
Oct 24, 2022 1:10 AM
Apr 2021
whay the fuck is rhat
Oct 24, 2022 1:12 AM

Feb 2020
Steins gate is sci-fi. Hagurashi is supernatural. So their approaches are different
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 24, 2022 5:31 AM
Jun 2021
Adampk said:
Steins gate is sci-fi. Hagurashi is supernatural. So their approaches are different

S;G and Higurashi are very different.
But the succession of events is identical

of course I am not considering the vast difference in contents between the two series
Oct 24, 2022 9:13 AM

May 2016
Adampk said:

I would argue if S;G is really a sci-fi or not. The "science" is SciADV is pretty much "fantasy science". S;G also has supernatural elements.
-
Oct 24, 2022 10:14 AM

Feb 2020
SciADV_Maniac said:
Adampk said:

I would argue if S;G is really a sci-fi or not. The "science" is SciADV is pretty much "fantasy science". S;G also has supernatural elements.

The thing is S;G is not a science fantasy. Also science fantasy are not same as supernatural either. (Not even fantasy and supernatural are same)

Out of SciADV shows steins gate and robotic notes are most unlikely shows for being science fantasy. Now something like occult nine on the other hand is what u could call science fantasy. Other eg of science fantasy would be trigun, captain harlock, A Certain Magical Index etc.

Either way non of them have anything to do with supernatural. It's the extreme polar opposite corner of sci-fi.

Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 24, 2022 4:13 PM

May 2016
[quote=Adampk message=67799844]
SciADV_Maniac said:
Adampk said:

Out of SciADV shows steins gate and robotic notes are most unlikely shows for being science fantasy. Now something like occult nine on the other hand is what u could call science fantasy. Other eg of science fantasy would be trigun, captain harlock, A Certain Magical Index etc.

Either way non of them have anything to do with supernatural. It's the extreme polar opposite corner of sci-fi.

"Out of SciADV shows"...

Oh, if you seen only the the garbage anime adaptations of R;N, C;H, C;C, then yeah, I'm not surprised that it gave you the impression that S;G and R;N are the most unlikely to being science fantasy. I will something unbelievable: S;G is the least consistent and least grounded from all.

All "science" in these stories are based on the lore Chaos;Head laid down. I'm talking about the VNs of course.

None of them have anything to do with supernatural?

SciADV:

-

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Yesterday, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.