Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 6, 2022 4:01 PM

Jul 2021
Just finished Planetes right now. Wow.

I'm obviously biased because I love space thematics and all, but this anime was something.
The character building, growing and execution of thematics was immmaculate. Every episode presented a scenario that would and will affect a character's growth, being in at short or long term. And not just the characters, the worldbuilding was out of this world. It was amazing.
It might be one, if not the best space themed anime ever.

For those who have seen it, what are your thoughts about it?
And for those who haven't seen it and are interested (you should be), don't click spoiler tag. It contains heavy spoilers (no way).
Oct 7, 2022 12:51 AM

May 2018
"Planetes is a gem"

OP is kind of late to the party.

"For those who have seen it, what are your thoughts about it?"

Its obscurity confirms anti sci-fi bias, especially for such with serious realistic themes.

Shows like Cyberpunk: Edgerunners are making the things even worst, since they are reaffirming the cliche "Mature means sex, doing drugs and having extreme violence for the sheer spectacle of it.".
Like making gory fun stories is fine and all, just people are taking those as serious and deep, despite them being surface level de facto dystopia themed gladiator battles.
alshuOct 7, 2022 1:05 AM
Oct 7, 2022 1:03 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
"Just finished off Planet namek right now. Wow."-freeza

Oct 7, 2022 1:57 AM
Aug 2022
Ohhh cool I'll have to check it out, seems really intresting, i havent watched/read too much sci fi :)
Oct 7, 2022 11:53 AM

Jul 2021
alshu said:
"Planetes is a gem"

Its obscurity confirms anti sci-fi bias, especially for such with serious realistic themes.

Shows like Cyberpunk: Edgerunners are making the things even worst, since they are reaffirming the cliche "Mature means sex, doing drugs and having extreme violence for the sheer spectacle of it.".
Like making gory fun stories is fine and all, just people are taking those as serious and deep, despite them being surface level de facto dystopia themed gladiator battles.

I don't know about that...
The edgerunners take seems kinda wrong. It shows serious and deep character drama. It has a lot of gory on it yeah, but it's not the only thing on the show. Regardless, comparing them both is like comparing cheese and the sun, they're completely different.

It's a shame that Planetes is such a niche anime. Such a good show to not be even recognized is tragic.
I may be late, but it was worth being at all.

rosemay18 said:
Ohhh cool I'll have to check it out, seems really intresting, i havent watched/read too much sci fi :)

You should. Best space themed anime I've seen. If you like deep characters and just the sheer spectacle of space you'll love it. Just remember that the characters and they growth are more important that space to the show.

ryo-san said:
"Just finished off Planet namek right now. Wow."-freeza

Please stop being funny. Wow.
Oct 7, 2022 11:57 AM

Jul 2021
Most of the characters were rather annoying, and the story was pretty pretentious.
It had some moments, but I didn't finish it, despite watching most of it...
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Oct 7, 2022 12:04 PM

Jul 2021
alshu said:
"Planetes is a gem"

I don't see the issue with Cyberpunk, it did both...
Plus it's actually really hard to make an animated fight scene that actually entertains me, and Cyberpunk succeeded.
Oct 7, 2022 12:18 PM

May 2018
TeBaTe said:
It shows serious and deep character drama.

It's quite a heavy situation for the MC, but nothing that deep to think about. Fails to be serious exactly because everything is so superficial, one note and tropey.

JaniSIr said:
it did both

Nope, it did the one thing - audiovisual spectacle. Bonus points for the worldbuilding, The story and the characters are quite simple and flat.
Oct 7, 2022 12:19 PM
Oct 2020
Very less known but has a good rating, will watch it soon
Oct 7, 2022 12:42 PM

Jul 2021
alshu said:
JaniSIr said:
it did both

Nope, it did the one thing - audiovisual spectacle. Bonus points for the worldbuilding, The story and the characters are quite simple and flat.

The story is pretty straight forward, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's better than GoT season 8 subverting our expectations, by being really bad instead of good.
But the characters? It may just be 10 episodes, but for a 10 episode long anime they managed to pack in quite a lot of character development.
Oct 7, 2022 12:46 PM

Sep 2014
It was good but I hated the main girl hair design.
Oct 7, 2022 12:47 PM
Dec 2017
twin spica you'll like that alot if you liked planetes

Oct 7, 2022 12:56 PM

Oct 2018
Planetes is one of my friend's favourite, I've got it downloaded here, but unfortunately I'm under an anime burnout, I can barely watch the seasonals, however, I intend to watch it someday, it seems to be interesting.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
Oct 7, 2022 1:05 PM

May 2018
JaniSIr said:
it's better than GoT season 8

The whole HBO TV experience of GoT was trash, so this is easy to achieve.

JaniSIr said:
subverting our expectations

I think they telegraphed pretty early what we should expect actually...yeah, when I think about it bonus points for that too.
Didn't feel as subversion,

JaniSIr said:
they managed to pack in quite a lot of character development.

They were one note characters, so not that much effort to achieve that too.
Oct 7, 2022 1:05 PM

Jul 2021
alshu said:
TeBaTe said:

It's quite a heavy situation for the MC, but nothing that deep to think about. Fails to be serious exactly because everything is so superficial, one note and tropey.

JaniSIr said:
it did both

That problem originated from the lack of time. They showed character drama and growth, but they didn't have the time to develop it on a more profound level. Tho, for what it showed, it was great.
Edgerunners has great characters with understandable motivations and development, even if that development/seriousness is only hintered. They cared more on showing action, so they just couldn't include that much of that, sadly.
Even knowing that, I really think they did it great.
Oct 7, 2022 1:08 PM

Jul 2021
Phosphophyllita said:
Planetes is one of my friend's favourite, I've got it downloaded here, but unfortunately I'm under an anime burnout, I can barely watch the seasonals, however, I intend to watch it someday, it seems to be interesting.

It is very good and VERY long. Not recommended at all if you're on a burnout.
Watch some clips of the first episodes and wait 'till you're on the mood for it.
Oct 7, 2022 1:15 PM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
TeBaTe said:

JaniSIr said:
it did both

Then maybe it's you who's not looking deep enough. So far it has a lot to say about capitalism and classism.

Back to topic: I haven't seen it yet.
Oct 7, 2022 1:17 PM

Jul 2021
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
alshu said:

Then maybe it's you who's not looking deep enough. So far it has a lot to say about capitalism and classism.

Back to topic: I haven't seen it yet.

Imagine talking about Cyberpunk on a Planetes post. Couldn't be me.

Back to topic; Watch it, it's worth it.
Oct 7, 2022 1:38 PM

May 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
Then maybe it's you who's not looking deep enough.

Probably.

_Maneki-Neko_ said:
So far it has a lot to say about capitalism and classism.

Every cyberpunk/dystopian show is saying those exact things...not even the first such show by Imaishi.
Oct 7, 2022 1:45 PM

Jun 2022
Haven't seen Planetes yet but I've added it to my watchlist, looks interesting
Oct 7, 2022 2:13 PM

Jul 2021
alshu said:
JaniSIr said:
it's better than GoT season 8

The whole HBO TV experience of GoT was trash, so this is easy to achieve.

JaniSIr said:
they managed to pack in quite a lot of character development.

They were one note characters, so not that much effort to achieve that too.

Won't agree with you there, the TV show was very good, while it had source material. (Which I have read in its entirety before starting the series.)
Even liked most of the small changes. It kept me surprised, on a "Mass Effect but intentionally making different choices" level.

It's one preem note though. It's actually nice to have an anime with no total loser protagonists for once. And while Rebecca was just kind of a meme, she didn't manage to annoy me by the time the anime ended, whereas Planetes was just kind of cringe with the two managers constantly messing around... And the moon ninja episode, oh boi...
Oct 7, 2022 2:33 PM
Dec 2019
I don't think so. The two main characters are very annoying, especially the guy, and their romance/interactions had an artificial anime feeling to them. For a show that's supposed to be realistic these two characters don't feel realistic to me. Not to mention the heavy handed moralizing. I dropped it but from the reviews I've read, several people have pointed out that it also has an insultingly poor understanding of the issues that it tries to talk about.

Not surprising from the guy who tried to write a story in a historical viking setting but also write it like a shounen.
Oct 7, 2022 2:52 PM

May 2018
JaniSIr said:
And while Rebecca was just kind of a meme, she didn't manage to annoy me by the time the anime ended

She is practically Harley Quinn and everybody is up for a psychotic murdering clown girl...even me. Still nothing to write home about, but I guess I should have being flabbergasted from the rest of the crew. Actually no, they were clowns too (David including), not as funny as her tho, she is my favourite.

JaniSIr said:
whereas Planetes was just kind of cringe with the two managers constantly messing around

Them being the main clowns in Planetes was sort of coping mechanism to handle the corporate pressure, a very japanese trope I guess. But yeah, I didn't liked those guys too.

JaniSIr said:
... And the moon ninja episode, oh boi...

A bittersweet moment to me, since I was at a similar hikikomori situation at the time when I watched Planetes for the first time. One does go a bit crazy, a bit cartoonish and a lot cringe from the psychological strain, when jobless and with little to none opportunities.
And that comes the mood whiplash moment when
Oct 7, 2022 3:35 PM

Jul 2021
Recynon said:
I don't think so. The two main characters are very annoying, especially the guy, and their romance/interactions had an artificial anime feeling to them. For a show that's supposed to be realistic these two characters don't feel realistic to me. Not to mention the heavy handed moralizing. I dropped it but from the reviews I've read, several people have pointed out that it also has an insultingly poor understanding of the issues that it tries to talk about.

Not surprising from the guy who tried to write a story in a historical viking setting but also write it like a shounen.

Tbh the only character I actually liked was the chain smoker woman, whose name I totally and shamelessly forgot.
Oct 7, 2022 4:04 PM

Jul 2021
alshu said:
JaniSIr said:
And while Rebecca was just kind of a meme, she didn't manage to annoy me by the time the anime ended

She is practically Harley Quinn and everybody is up for a psychotic murdering clown girl...even me. Still nothing to write home about, but I guess I should have being flabbergasted from the rest of the crew. Actually no, they were clowns too (David including), not as funny as her tho, she is my favourite.

JaniSIr said:
whereas Planetes was just kind of cringe with the two managers constantly messing around

Them being the main clowns in Planetes was sort of coping mechanism to handle the corporate pressure, a very japanese trope I guess. But yeah, I didn't liked those guys too.

JaniSIr said:
... And the moon ninja episode, oh boi...

A bittersweet moment to me, since I was at a similar hikikomori situation at the time when I watched Planetes for the first time. One does go a bit crazy, a bit cartoonish and a lot cringe from the psychological strain, when jobless and with little to none opportunities.
And that comes the mood whiplash moment when

Not a Rebecca fan myself, I'm more into the quiet mysterious type. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't remember those two actually working... The two protagonists and the smoker woman did all the work. Hm, okay, there was one time when one of them drove a space ship now that I think about it...

That could have been a good plot point, I liked Welcome to the NHK, but not while they are moon ninjas.
Not that that anime didn't have its share of cringe, but you know, anime...
Oct 7, 2022 4:09 PM
Dec 2019
JaniSIr said:
Recynon said:

Tbh the only character I actually liked was the chain smoker woman, whose name I totally and shamelessly forgot.

I thought the russian guy with the tragic backstory looking for meaning was OK too. It's like, wait, this guy has a more compelling backstory, a more interesting motivation, and more reason to be a jerk (but isn't) than diaper man over here, why are we following diaper man, who actually acts like a jerk? Honestly the show feels like the show should've been about either or both of him and the chain smoking crew chief because they seem like the most down-to-earth realistic, normal human beings in the show. But subtle characterization is apparently not something the author wants in his main characters.
Oct 7, 2022 4:20 PM

Jul 2021
Recynon said:
JaniSIr said:

I thought the russian guy with the tragic backstory looking for meaning was OK too. It's like, wait, this guy has a more compelling backstory, a more interesting motivation, and more reason to be a jerk (but isn't) than diaper man over here, why are we following diaper man, who actually acts like a jerk? Honestly the show feels like the show should've been about either or both of him and the chain smoking crew chief because they seem like the most down-to-earth realistic, normal human beings in the show. But subtle characterization is apparently not something the author wants in his main characters.

I don't really remember him, even after you having brought him up.
Ye, emotional subtlety is something we really do need more of.
Oct 8, 2022 6:35 AM
• Mafumafu Fan •

Apr 2018
Thread moved from Anime Discussion to Planetes Sub-board

AMQ: StephWeeb
Discord: drsteph
Join me on AnimeMusicQuiz!
Oct 8, 2022 3:14 PM

Aug 2019
Wow, what a pleasant surprise to see a forum about "Planetes" popping up! That series definitely deserves a lot of more love. It's not exactly like "Cowboy Bebop" but it's one of the rare series that fulfilled that need within me for something like it. I went into the series not expecting much, only to end up with a series that really covered so many aspects of the job that gained my appreciation and had me getting into Makoto Yukimura as a mangaka (watching "Planetes" is most of the reason why I finally started "Vinland Saga" after all). It's one of the rare animes that I will rewatch in the future whenever that is.
Oct 8, 2022 3:27 PM

Aug 2019
TeBaTe said:
this anime was something.
The character building, growing and execution of thematics was immmaculate. Every episode presented a scenario that would and will affect a character's growth, being in at short or long term. And not just the characters, the worldbuilding was out of this world. It was amazing.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Makoto Yukimura puts in a lot of research into every series that he's done and that passion really shows. "Planetes" won an award for best science fiction series and it's well deserved. I would say that it's one of the best space-themed animes ever. At least out of the ones that I've seen. "Space Brothers" has a higher rating than it on this website, but I found "Space Brothers" to be sorely lacking — especially when I compare it to "Planetes" because not only is this series really into the science, but it also has this humanity to it as well.

TeBaTe said:

I have not read the manga, but I do know that the anime branches off and does its own thing at a certain point, so it's worth checking out the manga to see its original ending (even though the anime is already good).
Oct 8, 2022 3:54 PM

Jul 2021
bucciaratiest said:
TeBaTe said:
this anime was something.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Makoto Yukimura puts in a lot of research into every series that he's done and that passion really shows. "Planetes" won an award for best science fiction series and it's well deserved. I would say that it's one of the best space-themed animes ever. At least out of the ones that I've seen. "Space Brothers" has a higher rating than it on this website, but I found "Space Brothers" to be sorely lacking — especially when I compare it to "Planetes" because not only is this series really into the science, but it also has this humanity to it as well.

TeBaTe said:

I have not read the manga, but I do know that the anime branches off and does its own thing at a certain point, so it's worth checking out the manga to see its original ending (even though the anime is already good).

Oh, I didn't know that the anime branched out of the manga. If so, they surely did a good work. In no moment did I noted a change in direction or character, totally seamless, amazing.
Also, the award? Totally deserved. Yukimura greatly knew how to write character drama based on an space enviroment and nailed it. Like, details on how the future space development would affect the world and all and the motivations of their habitants was peak writting.
Oct 22, 2023 6:12 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to TeBaTe
Phosphophyllita said:

It is very good and VERY long. Not recommended at all if you're on a burnout.
Watch some clips of the first episodes and wait 'till you're on the mood for it.
@TeBaTe 26 eps is not VERY long, it is mearly decently long
Oct 22, 2023 6:41 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to wiiztec
@TeBaTe 26 eps is not VERY long, it is mearly decently long
@wiiztec Yeah I'm just too used to 12-13 episode animes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

seita - Aug 28, 2008

70 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 18 Discussion

seita - Aug 28, 2008

41 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 11:25 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 17 Discussion

aero - Sep 2, 2008

34 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 18, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 14 Discussion

seita - Aug 27, 2008

47 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 14, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Planetes Episode 13 Discussion

seita - Aug 26, 2008

41 by kirA_-_ »»
Sep 14, 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.