Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2022 4:45 AM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
Went here immediately after Aura Battler Dunbine, and while this OVA didn't enjoy the popularity or critical acclaim of the original anime, I thought this was a pretty decent first episode. That being said, what with this being a three episode OVA only, the pacing may be a little on the slow side for a series that brief.

First off all the character designs look great. Shion looks like he could be a distant descendant of Show Zama, whereas Lemuru is a dead ringer for Elmelie/Riml. The music is also great, although a lot more orchestral than the ABD OST - no crazy saxophones or slap bass here, which would ordinarily be a shame, but it fits with this OVA's more fantasy-like feel. The animation is gorgeous, as can be expected from a late 80s Sunrise OVA. The combination of incredible designs (the Aura Battler unveiled at the end of the episode has an incrediibly cool design as well, although it looks decidedly more ancient and alien than the Dunbine or Billbine ever did) and gorgeous animation once again affirmed my opinion that 1988-2000 was the golden age of Sunrise when it comes to anime visuals.

In terms of the story - it so far seems rather unconnected to ABD. Byston Well itself almost feels like it's gone back in time, as the world looks and feels even more primitive than it did in ABD. At least one aura battler exists, but it feels far more fantasy than science-fantasy. There are also mentions of the Aura Road, and we see Ferrario, but again aside from the names these have a decidedly different feel to them compared to the original anime. The strongest link to ABD thus far is that Shot Weapon is still alive (or at least he still exists). I wonder if he was the cloaked lich-like being or the brain in a jar, though.

All in all a pretty okay start, but aside from the presence of Shot Weapon, if you changed the names of Byston Well, Upper Earth, the Ferrario, and the Aura Battlers/Road it could just as well have been any other late 80s/early 90s fantasy mecha show. I'll definitely be watching the other two episodes.
Beep boop

More topics from this board

Poll: » Seisenshi Dunbine OVA Episode 3 Discussion

BlaizeV - Dec 16, 2018

3 by Ichijo_HikaruDVD »»
Nov 5, 2022 7:28 PM

Poll: » Seisenshi Dunbine OVA Episode 2 Discussion

JaceyFox - Oct 6, 2022

0 by JaceyFox »»
Oct 6, 2022 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.