Forum Settings
Forums

Can someone explain how the series works and answer a few questions about the LN in general?

New
May 23, 2022 4:00 PM
May 2020
I’m planning on reading this light novel soon. I only read physical copies so before I purchase a tonne of books can someone explain how it all works and answer a few questions. All answers are appreciated.

How far ahead is the LN compared to both the manga and the anime? If the anime was to adapt everything currently out for the LN, how many 12 episode seasons would that make, at a guess?

How does this series work? I see it’s split into lots of different parts, is that just the manga or is the LN also? Is the reading order simply part 1 volume 1 and onwards until I catch up to the latest part/volume for the LN? How many volumes are there in total currently out?

Is the series ongoing, nearly finished or still a ways off?

How much of this has officially translated physical copies I can buy, is it fully translated or is there only a few translated volumes out?

Thanks a lot, I’d appreciate any answers even if it’s to only one or two of the many questions I asked. I’m really enjoying this anime series and once my exams are over, I’m going to binge read the LN.
May 23, 2022 10:50 PM
Dec 2021
The LN is currently at volume 28 or 29 in japanese version, with 18 volumes translated currently. It is said that the series ends at 33 volumes. The English LNs are released at a steady pace of a volume per 2 months.

The parts in the story are more like different stages in mc life. They don't have other meaning than to just mark her identity. Just start reading in order: part 1, then 2 and so on.

The 3 seasons of anime covers the first 2 parts, 7 volumes in total. Considering that total is said to be 33 volumes, it takes 15 seasons i guess.

As for translated physical copies, i think 16 volumes are released. You can check in j-novel club official website.

Hope I've been able to help!
Mizuna1854May 23, 2022 10:53 PM
May 24, 2022 6:21 AM
May 2012
I confirm most of Mizuna1854's answers to your questions.

In Japan, volume 29 out of (predicted) 33 volumes are already out. In english, 18 volumes have been digitally published (the 19th is completely translated in prepublication already, and the 20th translation has begun this week).

The serie is split in Parts, which are kind of story arcs corresponding to stages of life of the MC. If you have watched the anime season 1 and 2, you can click on that spoiler for an example:

The complete serie is in 5 parts, of varying length (Part 1 is 3 volumes, Part 2 is 4 volumes, Part 3 is 5 volumes, Part 4 is 9 volumes, Part 5 is planned to be 12 volumes)
So the reading order is reading all the volumes from part 1, then all the volumes of part 2, and so on.

At the current translation rythm, we can expect the story to be entirely translated around mid to end 2024. That's assuming the author doesn't continue the story further after part 5, of course.

So far, in physical releases, there are only 12 volumes released in english (end of part 3). The first volume of part 4 is supposed to be released physically in july of this year.
You can check the website of JNC here to check the release dates of physical volumes: https://j-novel.club/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm
May 24, 2022 8:01 AM

Aug 2010
FreshSalmon827 said:
I’m planning on reading this light novel soon. I only read physical copies so before I purchase a tonne of books can someone explain how it all works and answer a few questions. All answers are appreciated.

How far ahead is the LN compared to both the manga and the anime? If the anime was to adapt everything currently out for the LN, how many 12 episode seasons would that make, at a guess?

If do you plan to read the novels, i can guess that you did enjoy the anime, or at least the manga.
The manga in Japan is being publishing simultaneously parts 2, 3 & 4, 5th still to start. In English, the Manga is far beyond as it's publishing in a line. First part have finished with 7 volumen, to resume the 3 first LN ones.
while part two is still publishing even in Japan, Here in English now volume 6 it's on pre-publishing by JNC which still behind the 3th anime season. the Physical edited manga is just 9 volume (7 from Part one, + 2 from Part 2) with the volume 10 coming soon. Digitally is volume 13th so not too far ahead.
but I think the manga translations is going slowly than the LN.

and the rest of your questions have been answered already. ( far I can see)
EkunSjyMay 24, 2022 8:22 AM
There is again! The ultimate technique: "It's all his fault, not mine"!
Goddess, High Bishop, you sure are popular!

まんが きけん     むがく
漫画は危険じゃない、けど無学です。
Manga wa kikenjyanai, kedo mugaku desu.

Benno frowned as I finished listing off all the reasons why I din't want to give the books leather covers.
May 24, 2022 8:14 AM

Aug 2010
and by the way, Amazon ( or rather, Audible Japan) has 15 Audiobooks of the series already out in the market., and it still being planing on regular basis up to Volume 30th of the Audiobook in Japanese so far ... will be released deep into 2026 ...

BTW> seeing now Amazon Japan, the Mangas there by chapters are as follow:
Part 2, Chap 36. (last one in English is #28 - Preparing Stencils). so 8 behind the Japanese edition.
Part 3, Chapter 37
Part 4 Chapter 12 ...

まんが きけん     むがく
漫画は危険じゃない、けど無学です。

Benno frowned as I finished listing off all the reasons why I din't want to give the books leather covers.
May 26, 2022 4:59 AM
Sep 2017
shiger said:

while part two is still publishing even in Japan, Here in English now volume 6 it's on pre-publishing by JNC which still behind the 3th anime season.

Even the Japanese manga is behind the 3rd season of the anime. The most recent chapter still hasn't finished the final episode of the 2nd season yet.

shiger said:

Part 2, Chap 36. (last one in English is #28 - Preparing Stencils). so 8 behind the Japanese edition.
Part 3, Chapter 37
Part 4 Chapter 12 ...

These are wrong, especially for part 3.
Part 2 Chapter 38: https://to-corona-ex.com/comics/20000000037068
Part 3 Chapter 30: https://to-corona-ex.com/comics/20000000034334
Part 4 Chapter 17: https://to-corona-ex.com/comics/20000000051070
May 27, 2022 3:06 AM

Aug 2010

Well, yeah, it was far what I could find on a quick search in Amazon.co.jp ** https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0B14H7CSN?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_28&storeType=ebooks
according to your link at "Korona komimusu (Corona Comics)" it sais Chap 30 had just released 1 day ago. ( So yesterday 26th May). Amazon still but at 29th.
I might confused while writing the post part 3 from part 2. (Gomen, I was in a bit of a rush, so couldn't check it back properly) >__<
again yes! Amazon still behind Corona Comics. They had only 36 chapters (7 volumes) ** https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B09XF9MKTZ?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_35&storeType=ebooks
and yet, again part 4 Amazon has only 15 -since May 17th- ( which yes, are 3 more than I've previously post) ...
https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0B13ZLXZK?notRedirectToSDP=1&ref_=dbs_mng_calw_14&storeType=ebooks
but still 2, behind Korona website.

EkunSjyMay 27, 2022 3:40 AM

まんが きけん     むがく
漫画は危険じゃない、けど無学です。

Dec 9, 2022 10:20 PM
Oct 2020
Just throwing in a recommendation for getting the LN from j-novel club (JNC).

Novel-wise it's relatively slow paced for an LN (personally I love it), but the world-building is absolutely immaculate. It really shines in book form, the anime is far too accelerated. The manga is doing much better there, but a *lot* of details and character development are still lost.

JNC is doing a very good job on the translation (writing flows very well, extremely few flaws that they correct quickly, etc. It's probably their best work tbh), and I'll happily recommend the subscription if you can afford it. The subscription gets you free access to the latest volume of everything as they're translated + a few full series each month + it gets you credit equal to what you'd get just paying for it. It's a better deal in literally every way than just purchasing them directly.

And, honestly, the biggest bit for me is that they sell everything DRM free too. Few publishers do that, so I'm thrilled to support it.
Dec 14, 2022 12:50 PM

Aug 2010
Yup, I support it too! getting them directly from JNC is the best option there. the only bad is if do you have an Amazon Kindle e-Reader, you have to convert the "e-Pub" files into an Kindle format. but the other readers Apps, and KOBO support e-Pub file format.

Also, at present, this month JNC still publishing the Manga too, with Part 2 Volume 7 on pre-publication right now. While in Japan it goes just by Volume 8 in print (several more chapters in digital)

also, while you DO NOT NEED a paying membership to buy them. Just buy the Coins needed (699 coins for each Novel volume, and 899 coins for each of the manga volumen). and then redeem then for the downloading DRM-free file.

まんが きけん     むがく
漫画は危険じゃない、けど無学です。

More topics from this board

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Chapter 31 Discussion

NiQ1 - Apr 16

2 by TheMidnightWolf »»
Apr 21, 7:15 AM

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Chapter 30 Discussion

NiQ1 - Apr 16

0 by NiQ1 »»
Apr 16, 12:13 AM

» Volume 30 (Part 5 Volume 9) Discussion

abystoma2 - Mar 26

1 by hayato_bun »»
Mar 26, 10:59 AM

» Volume 28 (Part 5 Volume 7)

abystoma2 - Dec 9, 2023

1 by NiQ1 »»
Dec 11, 2023 4:00 PM

» Part 3 will be receiving an anime adaptation

Knighthammer619 - Dec 6, 2023

10 by NiQ1 »»
Dec 11, 2023 3:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.