Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
May 20, 2022 2:29 PM
Apr 2021
Does Lina have any weaknesess because I can't seem to find one or maybe it's just me that doesn't see it
May 20, 2022 4:02 PM
May 2020
Tatsuya is her weakness
May 20, 2022 4:31 PM

Jul 2015
Not really, because it is THAT kind of show.
Probably only our MC-kun could clap her in a fight, because THAT is who he is.

May 20, 2022 4:51 PM
Oct 2020
She is the strongest mage in America and strategic class so only other strategic class mages could likely challenge her.
May 20, 2022 5:39 PM
Oct 2014
depends on what you call a weakness.
so in a terms of magic, her magic is first rate, in both power and speed, she's slightly faster than Miyuki but has less power, Tatsyua's powers also confuse her which leads me to believe she has a narrow scope of compression making her unable to contend with him, plus his powers are technically more of a skill so there are few signs of magic casting with his powers of "the destroyer"
In had to hand combat she falls short of Tatsyua, likely due to his training with Kokonoe. but likely stronger than Leo.
she clearly isn't very good at espionage as she fall flat so fast and she has trouble hiding her true thoughts.
she's very over excitable made apparent when she get carried away at the graduation festival.
so she has a lot of weaknesses.
May 20, 2022 8:40 PM
Dec 2021
I kinda forgot. Was she better than Miyuki?
May 20, 2022 10:23 PM

Jan 2021
She doesn’t really have one
May 20, 2022 10:59 PM
Aug 2021
split09 said:
I kinda forgot. Was she better than Miyuki?

No
in term of magic
May 20, 2022 11:07 PM
Jan 2015
Well she got a C Biology.

Otherwise in combat, suppose her only weaknesses would be is mental interference magic and opponents such as parasites who don't reside in the physical realm(but then again 99% of mages can't counter those things either).
My Queens

May 21, 2022 9:02 PM
Apr 2021
BabyBambi said:
She doesn’t really have one

If she doesn't have any magic weakness, then she's a mary stu character lol
May 23, 2022 5:50 AM
Jan 2022
Magic/physical power no but has a emotional one

Consider her job as a solider, Tatsuya once mentioned that the job wasn’t for her and she should quit and he would help if she wanted to. In Season2 of the anime she seem a bit unwilling to kill her former soldiers that became parasites.
yuki_xueMay 23, 2022 5:54 AM
Mar 1, 9:34 PM
Jan 2009
Reply to Mq84jdk
She is the strongest mage in America and strategic class so only other strategic class mages could likely challenge her.
@Mq84jdk

Was going to post a thread on this, but here seems fine also.

I don't understand the "strategic class" descriptor.

Tatsuya is strategic class. He vaporizes people through buildings, can instantly see everything happening for blocks around him, is effectively immortal, can launch magical nukes that vaporize entire regions, and we don't even know what else he does.

Lina is also a strategic class. She is a strong duelist who throws knives. She spends most of her time in Japan constantly being amazed that even regular high school students rival her in strength. Lina only seems strong when fighting nameless/faceless minion-level background characters.

How are they even remotely comparable? Strategic doesn't seem to actually mean anything.
amf85Mar 1, 9:39 PM
Mar 1, 9:48 PM
Oct 2020
amf85 said:
@Mq84jdk

Tatsuya is strategic class. He vaporizes people through buildings, can instantly see everything happening for blocks around him, is effectively immortal, can launch magical nukes that vaporize entire regions, and we don't even know what else he does.

Lina is also a strategic class. She is a strong duelist who throws knives. She spends most of her time in Japan constantly being amazed that even regular high school students rival her in strength. Lina only seems strong when fighting nameless/faceless minion-level background characters.

How are they even remotely comparable? Strategic doesn't seem to actually mean anything.

It’s been a while since i read it, but from what I remember:

Strategic class is just a title given to any magician that has a spell equivalent to a “weapon of mass destruction”. They said their are only 13 or so people in the world that are known to be strategic class magicians, but there could be more that are ‘hidden’ and haven’t revealed themselves.

Because Lina has one of these “mass destruction” spells, she is strategic class. Tatsuya also has one, as do some others.

Having a spell like that doesn’t make them invincible, but it means they are top class, obviously.

Lina’s strategic spell is Heavy Metal Burst which does something with Plasma iirc. Tatsuya’s is Material Burst which is basically a nuke.
Mar 1, 10:03 PM
Jan 2009
Reply to Mq84jdk
amf85 said:
@Mq84jdk

It’s been a while since i read it, but from what I remember:

Strategic class is just a title given to any magician that has a spell equivalent to a “weapon of mass destruction”. They said their are only 13 or so people in the world that are known to be strategic class magicians, but there could be more that are ‘hidden’ and haven’t revealed themselves.

Because Lina has one of these “mass destruction” spells, she is strategic class. Tatsuya also has one, as do some others.

Having a spell like that doesn’t make them invincible, but it means they are top class, obviously.

Lina’s strategic spell is Heavy Metal Burst which does something with Plasma iirc. Tatsuya’s is Material Burst which is basically a nuke.
@Mq84jdk

We see Lina's spell in episode 7 at about 14:30. She apparently needs the special staff to cast it, which is fine, Tatsuya needs that special sniper rifle to cast his, so whatever.

The difference is that Heavy Metal Burst is an incredibly unimpressive lightning bolt that does...nothing, so far as I can tell. I'm sure it would hurt to get hit by it, but it does not appear to be particularly destructive. It does not appear to be any stronger than regular spells cast by the rest of the regular characters every episode. It was incredibly disappointing when we finally got to see it. I don't see any possible definition of "mass destruction" which it could fit.

I accept that it IS strategic, because Tatsuya literally says that it's a strategic spell. However, that just reinforces to me that strategic seems like a meaningless descriptor, because it's orders of magnitude less powerful. If Material Burst is a nuke, Heavy Metal Burst seems like a small rocket.
amf85Mar 1, 10:09 PM
Mar 1, 10:12 PM
Oct 2020
amf85 said:
@Mq84jdk

We see Lina's spell in episode 7 at about 14:30. She apparently needs the special staff to cast it, which is fine, Tatsuya needs that special sniper rifle to cast his, so whatever.

The difference is that Heavy Metal Burst is an incredibly unimpressive lightning bolt that does...nothing, so far as I can tell. I'm sure it would hurt to get hit by it, but it does not appear to be particularly destructive. It does not appear to be any stronger than regular spells cast by the rest of the regular characters every episode. It was incredibly disappointing when we finally got to see it. I don't see any possible definition of "mass destruction" which it could fit.

I accept that it IS strategic, because Tatsuya literally says that it's a strategic spell. However, that just reinforces to me that strategic seems like a meaningless descriptor, because it's orders of magnitude less powerful. If Material Burst is a nuke, Heavy Metal Burst seems like a small rocket.

Probably just a badly adapted part by the anime. It’s supposed to be an extremely destructive spell.

The other thing is that Lina is supposed to be the strongest magician in all of America. But they pit her against Tatsuya, which makes her look weak, because he makes everyone look weak.

Again, kind of the anime’s fault with how it was portrayed but 🤷‍♂️
Mar 1, 10:21 PM
Jan 2009
Reply to Mq84jdk
amf85 said:
@Mq84jdk

Probably just a badly adapted part by the anime. It’s supposed to be an extremely destructive spell.

The other thing is that Lina is supposed to be the strongest magician in all of America. But they pit her against Tatsuya, which makes her look weak, because he makes everyone look weak.

Again, kind of the anime’s fault with how it was portrayed but 🤷‍♂️
@Mq84jdk

Possible, I've never read the source material. If so, the anime really did Lina a disservice.
Mar 1, 10:22 PM
Oct 2020
amf85 said:
@Mq84jdk

Possible, I've never read the source material. If so, the anime really did Lina a disservice.

Anime skipped stuff, especially in season 2 sadly. They even skipped a part in the prequel movie they released recently lol.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2020

83 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2020

88 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:52 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2020

82 by Kevin9029 »»
Apr 20, 9:51 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Raihousha-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

z00nex - Oct 3, 2020

160 by amf85 »»
Feb 29, 6:36 PM

» Lina

Dabbingpotato - Feb 20

48 by TrickyHunter0506 »»
Feb 28, 10:20 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.