Old_School_Akira said:

It is kinda like a confession yeah. I personally love them together and yeah
May 7, 2022 6:49 AM

Nov 2015
Homura24 said:
Old_School_Akira said:

bruh this isn't some yaoi shit
ffs

But why did langa Blush and said yes to his mom? Then his mom thought he was talking about a girl?

It's BL
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 7, 2022 6:55 AM

Jul 2015
Twitter moment right there.
It's not BL and this misunderstanding means nothing.
"Suki" in Japanese does not always referers to romantic love.
PiromyslMay 7, 2022 6:59 AM

May 7, 2022 7:00 AM
Dec 2020
Homura24 said:
Old_School_Akira said:

ffs

Not yaoi, Shounen ai more like. Shounen Ai is like wholesome and cute (E.g Sasaki and Miyano) not gross and explicit like yaoi is (E.g Junjo Romantica).

I don't really think it's Shounen Ai though. Some people think two guys may eye contact for 0.2 seconds and they immediately think "🏳️‍🌈". I, however, totally don't do that.
May 7, 2022 7:43 AM

Nov 2015
__potato__ said:
Homura24 said:

ffs

Not yaoi, Shounen ai more like. Shounen Ai is like wholesome and cute (E.g Sasaki and Miyano) not gross and explicit like yaoi is (E.g Junjo Romantica).

I don't really think it's Shounen Ai though. Some people think two guys may eye contact for 0.2 seconds and they immediately think "🏳️‍🌈". I, however, totally don't do that.

Both Sasaki & miyano and junjo romantica are listed as BL on mal

it's the same thing
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 7, 2022 7:44 AM

Nov 2015
Piromysl said:

It's not a misunderstanding why did langa blush and hesitate to answer if he only "liked" reki as a friend?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 7, 2022 7:48 AM

Jul 2015
Old_School_Akira said:
Piromysl said:

It's not a misunderstanding why did langa blush and hesitate to answer if he only "liked" reki as a friend?

Because it is literally a misunderstanding like I said.
Two men can be friends, you know.

May 7, 2022 8:04 AM
Dec 2020
Old_School_Akira said:
__potato__ said:

it's the same thing
Yeah they're both BL because the people in both of them are guys but 'Sasaki and Miyano' is cute and doesn't have explicit scenes but 'Junjo Romantica' is gross and does have those scenes.
May 7, 2022 8:43 AM

Nov 2015
Piromysl said:
Old_School_Akira said:

Two men can start off as friends and be in love you know
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 7, 2022 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
It's gay. It's very gay and everyone with eyes sees that.
May 7, 2022 8:50 AM

Jul 2015
Old_School_Akira said:
Piromysl said:

Two men can start off as friends and be in love you know

You are just reaching at this point. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a single scene, which was clearly an misunderstanding.

May 7, 2022 10:30 AM
Dec 2021
I support LGBTQ+ in every way, but I think that people taking every guy-guy relationship in anime to a gay level is excessive. Shouto and Izuku is an example I just think is ridiculous and extremely exaggerated.

I don’t think Reki and Langa have that kind of thing. I believe it’s the kind of bond you have with fraternity brothers to really close teammates.
May 7, 2022 4:05 PM

Nov 2015
Otariiday said:
I support LGBTQ+ in every way, but I think that people taking every guy-guy relationship in anime to a gay level is excessive. Shouto and Izuku is an example I just think is ridiculous and extremely exaggerated.

I don’t think Reki and Langa have that kind of thing. I believe it’s the kind of bond you have with fraternity brothers to really close teammates.

Brothers don't blush or get embarrassed when their mom ask them if " they like this person right" ?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 7, 2022 4:06 PM

Nov 2015
Homura24 said:
Old_School_Akira said:

ffs

Yes it is. He "likes" reki
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 7, 2022 4:20 PM
Dec 2021
Old_School_Akira said:
Homura24 said:

ffs

You are really gay man.
May 7, 2022 4:42 PM

Nov 2015
David17315 said:
Old_School_Akira said:

You are really gay man.

No just non binary & ace
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 7, 2022 6:36 PM
Jul 2016
Old_School_Akira said:
Piromysl said:

Because he’s shy and it happens because he’s anti social so it doesn’t mean he’s gay lol
May 8, 2022 4:28 AM

Nov 2015
todd2580 said:
Old_School_Akira said:

Because he’s shy and it happens because he’s anti social so it doesn’t mean he’s gay lol

All for a sudden shy around his own mom that he lives with?

Sure.....
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 8, 2022 6:31 AM
Jul 2016
Old_School_Akira said:
todd2580 said:

Sure.....
Old_School_Akira said:
todd2580 said:

Sure.....
Old_School_Akira said:
todd2580 said:

Sure.....

It’s just shows that langa is the kind that doesn’t talk too much with mom and even his mom knows that he might not tell everything to her as that’s his character and she just give him the freedom to do whatever he wants especially when she knows that he’s a good boy and when he needs help , she’ll give her support for him.
todd2580May 10, 2022 12:14 PM
May 8, 2022 9:01 AM
Feb 2021
WARNING THIS IS BASICALLY JUST SPOILERS
As someone that has watched sk8 more than 20 times and has read all the interviews with the director I could give 100 reasons why they like each other, so trust me they like each other is so painfully obvious, but since a lot of people don't know it for sure I'll just mention a few reasons, so the fact that they only feel ecstasy when they're skating with each other, the heart eyes, the official art, the Cindereki drama where Reki is Cinderella and Langa is the Prince, the fact that the director said that Langa and Reki "value, and share the feelings towards one another deep in their hearts", not to mention that the director asked Hayashi Akemi (the person that help to create scenes from banana fish and Doukyuusei, which both have well written gay relationships) to help her with the episodes 7 and 10 which are the fight between the boys and the reconciliation, "which are indispensable for showing Reki and Langa's fellings" (words said by the director), the last scene when langa says my happiness is and then it cuts to reki, I also have a theory that backs up their relationship that I noticed when langa got home grabbed his family photo, talked to his father and asked "why do I like skateboarding so much? ", so there's a contrast since it was Langa's father to introduce him to snowboarding and Reki introduced him to skating, the contrast is basically snowboarding can only be done in the snow so in places like Canada in Langa's case, his father was only with him in Canada and he couldn't leave because he died, since he's probably buried in Canada, Langa's father stayed in Canada with snowboarding but skating is infinite and Reki introduced him to skating meaning that no matter what, reki will be close to him, langa has now something that's not fix in one place its versatile and that's what he needed in his life that's why when reki stopped talking to him he didn't feel ecstasy while skating because it reminded him of when his father died and he was all alone so snowboarding can be a metaphor of his father and skating a metaphor of Reki and of course that there's also many more things, btw I'm not saying you should ship it I'm just pointing out that there's many things that prove their deep feelings for each other.
If you read all of this thank you for your patience, I'm just really passionate about sk8 <3.
May 8, 2022 9:50 AM
Aug 2021
Old_School_Akira said:
__potato__ said:

it's the same thing

all yaoi is BL but not all BL is yaoi
May 8, 2022 2:19 PM
Apr 2021
i'm so sick and tired of people (especially cis het white girls) romanticizing male friendships like langa & reki. i'm part of the LGBTQ community myself but pls why does everything have to be gay? sure, sometimes there's some hints, but why does it have to be EVERY SINGLE male friendship? it's even worse in sports animes like free! and haikyuu. kageyama and hinata don't even like each other as FRIENDS, fym they're "canon"? 💀

i wish people would just stop labeling sk8 as BL because it's literally not a BL anime. you're just queer baiting the audience at this point, it's so disappointing honestly.
May 8, 2022 4:48 PM

Nov 2015
ysacci said:
i'm so sick and tired of people (especially cis het white girls) romanticizing male friendships like langa & reki. i'm part of the LGBTQ community myself but pls why does everything have to be gay? sure, sometimes there's some hints, but why does it have to be EVERY SINGLE male friendship? it's even worse in sports animes like free! and haikyuu. kageyama and hinata don't even like each other as FRIENDS, fym they're "canon"? 💀

i wish people would just stop labeling sk8 as BL because it's literally not a BL anime. you're just queer baiting the audience at this point, it's so disappointing honestly.

But he said he likes reki so it's possible they could be more than friends. It's not bait it happened in the show.

And I am not cis, het or white. Btw

I am ace, non binary & POC (black)
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 9, 2022 8:06 AM
Feb 2022
Old_School_Akira said:

I personally think that they made it so it could be the watchers choice and opinion as to whether Langa loves Reki or just likes him as a friend
May 9, 2022 2:03 PM
Dec 2021
i'm not totally sure but i think so, i think they would be cute together aswel but i'm rine with them having the being best friends/soul mate type of stuff
seeing they do have some lgbtq+ things going on and some characters were confirmed part of lgbtq+ a while ago they could out it in there more, but i wouldn't mind if they didn't
May 10, 2022 12:15 PM
Jul 2016
Old_School_Akira said:
ysacci said:

But he said he likes reki so it's possible they could be more than friends. It's not bait it happened in the show.

And I am not cis, het or white. Btw

I am ace, non binary & POC (black)

and he could be still consider him his friend and his mentor that teaches him how to skate too.
May 11, 2022 8:37 PM
May 2021
In my head they are bro’s
May 18, 2022 6:00 AM
Oct 2021
I think people have the right to choose whether to ship them or not, but also should refrain from rude or homophobic comments, either regarding the characters or in general. Fiction is always up to us to interpret but disrespecting someone's choices because of sexuality or gender or anything else about them is harmful.
May 18, 2022 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
this thread is hilarious (゚∀゚)
May 19, 2022 5:02 PM

Nov 2015
Froggy7weeb said:

No they are gay bitches , bros & non-binary hoes.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 21, 2022 7:11 AM

Nov 2015
rocket1604 said:
i'm not totally sure but i think so, i think they would be cute together aswel but i'm rine with them having the being best friends/soul mate type of stuff
seeing they do have some lgbtq+ things going on and some characters were confirmed part of lgbtq+ a while ago they could out it in there more, but i wouldn't mind if they didn't

The ship is semi canon.

https://shipping.fandom.com/wiki/Renga
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jun 1, 2022 2:00 PM
Dec 2014
My response is simply his line from the dub
"Reki, my love..... Of skateboarding is because of you"
Jun 2, 2022 5:40 AM

Nov 2015
CeliathePikachu said:
My response is simply his line from the dub
"Reki, my love..... Of skateboarding is because of you"

He didn't say that in the sub. The dub likes to change the dialogue too much because funimation is 4kids.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jun 16, 2022 7:42 PM

Dec 2019
It's not explicitly meant to be gay but anyone who says that there isn't any form of homosexual subtext in their interactions is lying to themselves lmao.
Jun 10, 2023 2:36 PM

Nov 2015

Langa is confirmed to be gay! I knew it!

Source: https://screenrant.com/best-anime-main-characters-protagonists-2021/
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 4, 2023 6:56 AM

Feb 2015
In my dialect, Langa (langga) means dear, love, along those lines. Interesting coincidence xD
Dec 27, 2023 8:59 PM
Apr 2021
In the DVD version, it's already shown in the first episode that Langa is gay. When a young person is so embarrassed by part of a skater's underwear while performing a stunt, it's clearly not about the skateboard or the stunt.
Reki goes to the beef with Shadow. Viewer's point of view.

Reki does a stunt in front of Langa. Langa can clearly see more than the viewer.

Langa is a very decent young man: this spectacle does not appear once in his flashbacks.
And yes, I do believe that by the end of the season, Langa and Reki are a couple in love. And that Adam and Tadashi's relationship is somewhat similar to that of the main characters.

TobimarooJan 17, 4:43 AM
Dec 31, 2023 8:04 AM
Jul 2021
The series has been written very deliberately to be interpreted either way, as a bromance or through a queer lens. I originally watched it as the former and enjoyed it thoroughly. Later, I watched it as the latter and again enjoyed it very thoroughly. There is no point in discussing the show from a queer purview if you're not willing to engage the subtext that lies beneath, but if you do, then it will quickly become clear that it was written with those implications in mind. Japanese social conservatism ultimately means that same-sex relationships and other queer topics can seldom be displayed in any mainstream works, if you want to display that content then you need to specifically target that demographic by marketing it as BL (like Sasaki to Miyano). It can't be casually inserted into a story as a subplot like you do straight romance. Due to this, it will never be explicitly confirmed as gay or otherwise LGBTQ+, so as I said, there is no point in splitting hairs over it.
If you're interested in a thorough analysis of the subtext hidden within the show, then I offer you this excellent Reddit post by another user: https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRant/comments/muaajf/sk8_the_infinity_why_cant_two_guys_be_friends/
Also to clarify, 'BL' is an umbrella term for 'yaoi' and 'shounen-ai'. Japanese marketing doesn't employ either of those terms anymore as far as I'm aware, and instead labels everything relating to male same-sex romance as BL. However, yaoi traditionally refers to more explicit BL works that may be described as for fujoshi consumption, whereas shounen-ai is traditionally more light-hearted and generally includes no explicit scenes at all. BL works, in terms of manga, have been steadily becoming more representative of actual male same-sex relationships in recent years, even Sasaki to Miyano is less progressive than some of the works released this year, last year, etc. It will take some time yet for the anime series themselves to catch up with the state of BL manga, whether it ever will is debatable though, since there are so few works that are greenlit every year due to the few studios that pick them up (naturally, since there isn't a huge market for them compared to shounen). Just for reference, Sasaki to Miyano started publishing in 2016 (7 years ago now).
Dec 31, 2023 8:09 AM

Aug 2021
Langa probably likes Reki in a romantic sense because this is an anime made by fujoshis for fujoshis.

Dec 31, 2023 8:11 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to Old_School_Akira
Froggy7weeb said:

No they are gay bitches , bros & non-binary hoes.
@Old_School_Akira

Why non-binary?? where did you get this from?

Dec 31, 2023 8:51 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to Absurdo_N
@Old_School_Akira

Why non-binary?? where did you get this from?
@Absurdo_N It's from the English dub, where Adam greets the guests of the tournament as 'Bitches, bros, and non-binary hoes."

Are you just not going to read my post and decry the anime as 'fujoshis for fujoshis' also?
Dec 31, 2023 9:06 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to OnlyAraku
@Absurdo_N It's from the English dub, where Adam greets the guests of the tournament as 'Bitches, bros, and non-binary hoes."

Are you just not going to read my post and decry the anime as 'fujoshis for fujoshis' also?
@OnlyAraku

What the hell dubbing is this???

No, I won't... You've already read my comment and you know it now, but if you don't accept this thought you can have another one, I won't force you.

Dec 31, 2023 9:52 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to Absurdo_N
@OnlyAraku

What the hell dubbing is this???

No, I won't... You've already read my comment and you know it now, but if you don't accept this thought you can have another one, I won't force you.
@Absurdo_N ok, i guess that's reasonable. although i don't know why you take issue with the dubbing,i have my own criticisms of it, but that isn't one of them.
Dec 31, 2023 10:11 AM

Aug 2021
Reply to OnlyAraku
@Absurdo_N ok, i guess that's reasonable. although i don't know why you take issue with the dubbing,i have my own criticisms of it, but that isn't one of them.
@OnlyAraku

It's not cool to change the dialogue so much in dubbing.

Dec 31, 2023 1:01 PM
Apr 2021
Thanks for the post. I still consider Langa and Reki not friends. Their introduction scene is dominated by romantic comedy tropes. After Reki finishes the trick, an embarrassed Langa provokes him to do it again. This is a bit of a hooligan act, comparable to a romantic comedy's male protagonist taking the opportunity to look up the skirt of an unsuspecting girl.
Also, in episode 3, Langa doesn't like the name of the skateboard that Reki came up with. It sounds like "Reki Royal Straight Prince-Maru". It's probably all about the word "straight". )
TobimarooJan 8, 3:36 PM
Jan 8, 2:35 PM
Apr 2021
Here's another moment that I'm having trouble interpreting as friendly. After Reki screams Langa's name in horror in class in episode 5, Langa is embarrassed. Later, on the roof, Langa helps Reki open a thermos. He makes no effort to touch his hand at this point, but then holds the lid of the thermos in the very spot where Reki's fingers touched it. And then Langa just steals the lid. It's implied that Langa knows why Reki challenged Adam. The real reason was Adam's abusive behavior with Langa. And Langa's gesture on the roof shows that Reki's noble behaviour impressed him.
Look!

Also, Reki's shout showed Langa that Reki was worried about him. And Langa is very happy about it.
In episode 6, Langa will unobtrusively ogle a half-dressed Reki, following him to the water and twirling his life preserver around so as not to give himself away. Later, Langa sneaks up behind Reki to scare him and force him to show his underwear.
In episode 7 on the DVD, an indirect kiss over a bottle of water initiates Langa.
It's all much more entertaining than the dubbing, wouldn't you agree?
TobimarooFeb 28, 5:01 AM
Jan 10, 3:25 AM
Apr 2021
I'll show you something else. The reason why Langa's going to learn skateboarding. Aside from the already obvious reason that Langa wants to make a cool skater and just a nice guy sympathize with him all the time, the body aspect plays a big part. Langa keeps falling off his skateboard when Reki raises his arm and his hoodie gets snagged.
This is shown in two scenes, on the roof of Dope Sketch and when Langa makes his first ollie. You can also guess this from the scenes when Reki revisits Langa's early training.
A moment on the roof.

Notice that Reki doesn't realize what caused Langa's sudden fall, and he doesn't see Langa looking at his abs.
The ollie moment is even sadder, Langa falls off the board at the exact moment Reki raises his hand.

Once again, Reki doesn't understand anything. Nor does he realize that Langa is frightened and confused, realizing that Reki has come up to him and is looking at him at this moment.

Also, for some reason, Langa rolls over onto her stomach in a hurry. And his first movement when Reki reaches out to him-no, not to make a dap, just to take it.

So, uh, here it is. Maybe to some, SK8 the Infinity is just a fujoshi title. But personally, I see a great dramedy about lost kids looking for someone to attach themselves to, searching for moral compasses and trying their best to accept themselves. After all, both Langa and Reki don't accept themselves. Langa's is more pronounced, his crazy races have a pronounced suicidal tendency caused by the fact that he began to realize he was gay as a teenager.
And most of his disreputable behavior towards Reki since they met is motivated by that. Although we can see that the true nature of his feelings is much more noble. He cares for Reki, protects him, and also adores him immensely after realizing that Reki accepts him for who he is. But his unworked complexes, his troubled nature, and his desire to get Reki's attention at all costs push him into terrible ventures. It's great that with Reki's help, he was able to realize and overcome it. And not repeat Adam's scenario. Because Langa's mom doesn't realize that his skateboarding hobby is a hidden cry for help. She's just happy that her son is finally interacting with someone and is passionate about something. The adult riders from S are just amused that there is someone new and reckless. Only Reki truly realizes that Langa is in trouble and is terrified for him.

And in every way possible, motivates Langa to break the cycle of adrenaline addiction.
You know, three years ago I registered on MAL precisely because people here were trying to analyze the details of SK8. At the time, I was concerned about whether Renga was canon or not. Now I'm pretty sure LanReki is canon, but it doesn't matter. I'm glad that the title turned out to be a story about redemption and acceptance that raises serious issues rather than nothing.
TobimarooJan 10, 5:33 AM
Jan 10, 2:59 PM
Jul 2021
Reply to Tobimaroo
I'll show you something else. The reason why Langa's going to learn skateboarding. Aside from the already obvious reason that Langa wants to make a cool skater and just a nice guy sympathize with him all the time, the body aspect plays a big part. Langa keeps falling off his skateboard when Reki raises his arm and his hoodie gets snagged.
This is shown in two scenes, on the roof of Dope Sketch and when Langa makes his first ollie. You can also guess this from the scenes when Reki revisits Langa's early training.
A moment on the roof.

Notice that Reki doesn't realize what caused Langa's sudden fall, and he doesn't see Langa looking at his abs.
The ollie moment is even sadder, Langa falls off the board at the exact moment Reki raises his hand.

Once again, Reki doesn't understand anything. Nor does he realize that Langa is frightened and confused, realizing that Reki has come up to him and is looking at him at this moment.

Also, for some reason, Langa rolls over onto her stomach in a hurry. And his first movement when Reki reaches out to him-no, not to make a dap, just to take it.

So, uh, here it is. Maybe to some, SK8 the Infinity is just a fujoshi title. But personally, I see a great dramedy about lost kids looking for someone to attach themselves to, searching for moral compasses and trying their best to accept themselves. After all, both Langa and Reki don't accept themselves. Langa's is more pronounced, his crazy races have a pronounced suicidal tendency caused by the fact that he began to realize he was gay as a teenager.
And most of his disreputable behavior towards Reki since they met is motivated by that. Although we can see that the true nature of his feelings is much more noble. He cares for Reki, protects him, and also adores him immensely after realizing that Reki accepts him for who he is. But his unworked complexes, his troubled nature, and his desire to get Reki's attention at all costs push him into terrible ventures. It's great that with Reki's help, he was able to realize and overcome it. And not repeat Adam's scenario. Because Langa's mom doesn't realize that his skateboarding hobby is a hidden cry for help. She's just happy that her son is finally interacting with someone and is passionate about something. The adult riders from S are just amused that there is someone new and reckless. Only Reki truly realizes that Langa is in trouble and is terrified for him.

And in every way possible, motivates Langa to break the cycle of adrenaline addiction.
You know, three years ago I registered on MAL precisely because people here were trying to analyze the details of SK8. At the time, I was concerned about whether Renga was canon or not. Now I'm pretty sure LanReki is canon, but it doesn't matter. I'm glad that the title turned out to be a story about redemption and acceptance that raises serious issues rather than nothing.
@Tobimaroo Are you speaking to someone specifically or just in general about the forum title? I think they're very clearly queer-coded to be gay as well, to clarify just in case.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

147 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 4, 5:21 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2021

142 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 31, 4:58 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

210 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 30, 4:56 AM

» SK8 the Infinity Event & Bucchigiri!?

OnlyAraku - Dec 31, 2023

8 by OnlyAraku »»
Jan 9, 12:56 PM

» Redundant

OnlyAraku - Dec 31, 2023

0 by OnlyAraku »»
Dec 31, 2023 8:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.