Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 27, 2022 9:06 AM

Oct 2019
So, to give you some background, I originally watched this around 2 and a half years ago, and was Bored out of my mind while watching it. After looking at some youtube videos, I Remember being impressed by the story, which I now barely remember.

But that was all.

You have to understand that I ADORE and LOVE slow burners, likely more than anyone you know. But I have this memory of this show just wasting time on nothing, like VERY long pan shots, big gaps between dialogue and Just a whole lot of wires. (which I get is nice symbolism, and theming, but there is just way too much of it)

Now, When I watched it, I Didn't really pay that much attention to details, directing, background music and stuff like that. I had a way more casual view and my english was also just barely fluent, which was not enough for a few of the scenes.

So, here's the question, Other than the core story which is the only good thing I remember about this show, is there enough in it to be worth a rewatch?

Ever since I saw it, I only thought of it as a poorly paced show with ok production value, boring at best characters and a 10/10 story.

So, Am I wrong?

should I rewatch it?

I'm wondering this because I recently watched sonny boy, and loved everything about it, so much so that it went straight to my top 3.

But then I saw that in the recommendation section, a lot of people were comparing it to this show. which made me wonder if this show was as not great(but still very good) as I remember, or my taste had changed overtime.

Ps: if you suggest me to rewatch it, can you also tell me if the dub translation is good, in this case I don't care about the acting that much, just tell me if the script is faithful.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 27, 2022 9:26 AM
Feb 2020
Maybe, i tried to rewatch it some months ago and i was diynig of boredom.
I love Lain, but it isnt a thing i would rewatch it.
But maybe after some years it may be cool to rewatch it, theres a lot of cool foreshadowing in the show that you dont get in the first watch.

I watched dub (brazilian dub) and it was a great adaptation and i prefer way more than the original, i dont know about the English dub, but most of the adaptations that come to Brazil use the English version, so it may be good to watch it dub
Apr 27, 2022 9:31 AM
Feb 2020
About the long takes, it haves a lot, i really liked in the first watch, but rewatching was just boring, with some episodes that only have those long takes and others that only have story, so you need to have some patience to watch it

In the first watch i loved those long takes, but rewatching it was very boring to me
Apr 27, 2022 9:55 AM
Mar 2018
No, definitely not.

I watched it twice and bruh... It's a geat anime, beatiful designs and really nice opening, the story is kinda good but unworthy of rewatching
Apr 27, 2022 9:59 AM
Mar 2018
It's REALLY messed up and some things just don't even make any sense...

But if you really feel you need to rewatch... So do it, Lain still being a great anime.
Apr 27, 2022 9:59 AM

Oct 2014
Looking at your favorites and all your scores, I don't really see much that would indicate you'd enjoy Lain. There's the original GitS, but you criticize it for being slow as well.

Tbh, I think Lain is too artsy, muted and out there for you since you seem to greatly prefer more conventional anime. Lain is anything but conventional, so it's not for everyone. If you want something that's relatively of similar style and tone, then I think Ergo Proxy, Perfect Blue, and Kaiba might be a better experience for you.

Apr 27, 2022 10:43 AM

Oct 2019
Pyro said:
Looking at your favorites and all your scores, I don't really see much that would indicate you'd enjoy Lain. There's the original GitS, but you criticize it for being slow as well.

Tbh, I think Lain is too artsy, muted and out there for you since you seem to greatly prefer more conventional anime. Lain is anything but conventional, so it's not for everyone. If you want something that's relatively of similar style and tone, then I think Ergo Proxy, Perfect Blue, and Kaiba might be a better experience for you.

you're probably right.

I don't really have a problem with slow shows, but long scenes of actual nothing happening is where I start to loose interest. although for ghost in the shell it was a lot less of an issue for me since it used those down times to show the city, the cool details and stuff like that. honestly I say it was barley a real problem in that.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like lain's extreme level of slowness in no way adding anything to the show.

> I think Lain is too artsy, muted and out there for you since you seem to greatly prefer more conventional anime

I actually love when shows do things differently, but only if they are improving on the show, or at least not hurting it. And I'm open minded, if someone explains to me why lain's pace helps it, I may very well change my mind.

The other thing that put me of lain, was also the fact that in shows like sonny boy, while there are a lot of confusing elements, the main plot is straight forward, which had me hooked enough to try and figure out the rest. that's more of a personal thing though.

thanks a lot though and sorry for the ramble, I will skip on the rewatch then for now.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Apr 27, 2022 10:58 AM

Oct 2019
Pyro said:

Random question.

I looked at your scores, and obviously we have different takes but, one thing was just kind of weird to me....

why do you think josee the tiger and the fish is a 9/10 movie?

like it was a good movie.

but I just don't see it being that high, specially when I look at the rest of your scores.

I'm just really curious to know why?

Also available at:

Apr 27, 2022 11:37 AM
Mar 2022
I think it depends on how you watched it the first time. I watched it subbed the first time and probably half of it never made sense to me. I just started rewatching it English dubbed and the dubbing filled in a lot of holes that I missed in the subbed.
Apr 27, 2022 12:02 PM

Oct 2019
Frogdude59 said:
I think it depends on how you watched it the first time. I watched it subbed the first time and probably half of it never made sense to me. I just started rewatching it English dubbed and the dubbing filled in a lot of holes that I missed in the subbed.

I mean i did end up watching someone explain the story on youtube anyways.

and honestly, I already know the story is extremely good. what put me off was everything else, which from what i see, no one seems to say I'm wrong.
Also available at:

Apr 27, 2022 12:35 PM
Jan 2022
I finished it a few weeks ago and I was impressed with it. it's pretty detailed and slow paced but it's storyline and complex nature is beautiful.

Watch it again!! love Lain !! We need to love her !!!
Apr 27, 2022 5:17 PM
Nov 2021
this was honestly the first anime that made me fall asleep I'm not kidding
Apr 27, 2022 5:54 PM
Dec 2017
nah u should watch a review or explain or sth, rewatching kinda boring cuz i dun understand
Apr 27, 2022 5:55 PM
Dec 2017
and bc the anime kinda slow too
Apr 27, 2022 11:17 PM
Jun 2021
Going to be honest I didn't read a single thing you said but I tried watching this, hated it, I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion and absolutely loved it. I went back to Serial Experiments Lain and found a new appreciation for it. Neon Genesis Evangelion gave me a warm up for Serial Experiments Lain and easier to comprehend. Going into this show without knowing what you're expecting is awful. Both shows take a good mind and good Google research😂
Apr 28, 2022 12:29 AM
Dec 2021
Apolygon2 said:
So, to give you some background, I originally watched this around 2 and a half years ago, and was Bored out of my mind while watching it. After looking at some youtube videos, I Remember being impressed by the story, which I now barely remember.

But that was all.

You have to understand that I ADORE and LOVE slow burners, likely more than anyone you know. But I have this memory of this show just wasting time on nothing, like VERY long pan shots, big gaps between dialogue and Just a whole lot of wires. (which I get is nice symbolism, and theming, but there is just way too much of it)

Now, When I watched it, I Didn't really pay that much attention to details, directing, background music and stuff like that. I had a way more casual view and my english was also just barely fluent, which was not enough for a few of the scenes.

So, here's the question, Other than the core story which is the only good thing I remember about this show, is there enough in it to be worth a rewatch?

Ever since I saw it, I only thought of it as a poorly paced show with ok production value, boring at best characters and a 10/10 story.

So, Am I wrong?

should I rewatch it?

I'm wondering this because I recently watched sonny boy, and loved everything about it, so much so that it went straight to my top 3.

But then I saw that in the recommendation section, a lot of people were comparing it to this show. which made me wonder if this show was as not great(but still very good) as I remember, or my taste had changed overtime.

Ps: if you suggest me to rewatch it, can you also tell me if the dub translation is good, in this case I don't care about the acting that much, just tell me if the script is faithful.
I feel like SEL is just one of those anime that some people just "get" and some don't. yeah at its core level the story is good but the directing and narrative choices may be boring to some people. safest option would probably watch a few episodes and see if you vibe with it or if your feelings have changed, if not then drop it
Apr 28, 2022 12:39 AM

Oct 2019
AlienXander said:
Apolygon2 said:

But that was all.

So, Am I wrong?

should I rewatch it?

I feel like SEL is just one of those anime that some people just "get" and some don't. yeah at its core level the story is good but the directing and narrative choices may be boring to some people. safest option would probably watch a few episodes and see if you vibe with it or if your feelings have changed, if not then drop it

I remember the directing being pretty good. It just drags out a lot of the scenes.

It would be a lot easier to explain what I mean if you had seen steins;gate. the directing style is kind of similar, but lain just feels painfully slow.

not in terms of the pace of the story, but in terms of directing. like the slowness isn't from build up, or carefully setting out the pieces, it's from dragged out camera shots and scenes with actual nothing in them.

I am open minded, give me a reason for why you think that's a good thing, I really want to know if I'm wrong, because i really do want to love this show. I mean why else would I look up for an excuse to rewatch it even though i found it boring?
Also available at:

Apr 28, 2022 6:36 AM
Aug 2019
It's up to you to decide if you want to watch it again lol. I think what I appreciated most about Lain was the message it conveyed during such an early period of the internet. For your concept of time, 1998 when Lain released was THE SAME YEAR GOOGLE RELEASED. To me, I think it's amazing the writing from 25 year ago still presents heavily relevant messages and themes to our current society surrounding identity and the digital world.

Also, reading your other comments, if you haven't already WATCH MONSTER it's fantastic and sounds like it would be up your alley.
Apr 28, 2022 7:01 AM

Dec 2019
I personally love lain, but completely understand if somebody doesn’t enjoy it. If you want to rewatch, then do so.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 28, 2022 5:20 PM
Feb 2017
I would say no. I loved this anime when it came out and thought it was the deepest most esoteric piece of work to ever be written (I was a preteen or teen then). I thought, man, I should rewatch this wild anime (recently) and I was pretty disappointed. There’s a lot that makes no sense, it’s very artsy for the sake of being artsy, it’s not really as deep and meaningful as I thought it was, and it’s really a product of it’s time. I still rate it 7/10 now, but with all the amazing classics that exist and modern anime that is ground breaking, I wouldn’t spend my weekend rewatching lain again.
Apr 28, 2022 6:58 PM
Oct 2019
Apolygon2 said:

But that was all.

So, Am I wrong?

should I rewatch it?

I wouldn’t it’s slow and boring. I would just watch stein’s gate. It is boring in the beginning but by episode 10-ish it gets better. SEL is boring af. It only gets good at the last 3 episodes. “Good” is used loosely.
Apr 28, 2022 7:03 PM

Oct 2019
Mohammad_Kibbi said:
Apolygon2 said:

But that was all.

So, Am I wrong?

should I rewatch it?

I wouldn’t it’s slow and boring. I would just watch stein’s gate. It is boring in the beginning but by episode 10-ish it gets better. SEL is boring af. It only gets good at the last 3 episodes. “Good” is used loosely.

Already decided to skip on the rewatch for now and I have already seen steins;gate.

Well I haven't just seen it, I have seen it like 4 times and played it's original visual novel. I Hard disagree with the start being boring. it's like my favorite anime of all time.
APolygons2Apr 28, 2022 7:16 PM
Also available at:

Apr 29, 2022 4:33 AM
Dec 2016
definitely does

lain is story that had a lot of things that you probably will just realize in a rewatch principaly to understand the events of the story itself
Apr 29, 2022 1:59 PM

Mar 2020
up to you, at each moment in your life different things will have different meanings, so whenever you feel is the time to pick this up again do it.
DONDAKE!!
Apr 29, 2022 10:01 PM
Jan 2022
Do it. I'm going to have to at some point. People keep bringing things up to me that I hadn't caught or just didn't really seem to understand. Plus it's a good show.
It's just like my Japanese anime's
Apr 30, 2022 11:00 PM
May 2021
Yes, you’ll probably understand more the serie and think more about all the philosophy
May 23, 2022 2:02 AM

May 2012
I don't even know what kind of question this is. Should you ever stop rewatching Lain?
May 23, 2022 3:58 AM

Aug 2018
yeah, go and rewatch it
May 28, 2022 12:46 PM

Nov 2018
Why do you even start watching when you are not gonna pay any attention to the plot???
Just watch One Piece with 1 move taking 20 minutes.
I hate everyone equally
May 28, 2022 6:59 PM

Oct 2019
Zevven said:
Why do you even start watching when you are not gonna pay any attention to the plot???
Just watch One Piece with 1 move taking 20 minutes.

1. I did pay attention to the plot.

2. I haven't seen one piece, or naruto, or bleach or any other 400ep+ show.

At the very least read the post properly and come up with an insult that makes sense. my list and scores are public, I'm sure you could find something Actually true to roast me for it.
Also available at:

More topics from this board

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

StabbyPWNS - Oct 11, 2008

292 by JosefStalinium »»
Apr 20, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nini - Dec 30, 2008

372 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cureroyale - Jan 27, 2009

123 by mrnmbl »»
Apr 16, 3:43 PM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

139 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 1:43 AM

Poll: » Serial Experiments Lain Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Mar 16, 2009

119 by Gf2002 »»
Mar 20, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.