Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 4, 2022 3:01 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
EDIT: Just realized I put "all of the above" beneath "I didn't have any problems with the final 12 eps"
Just pretend that I put the latter right below the former ^_^;

I know that DEATH NOTE is consistently considered to be one of the most popular anime of all-time. Although despite it's near-universal (pun intended) acclaim, the final 12 episodes (or approximately one third of the show's runtime) seem to have a very mixed reaction for a variety of reasons, from what I've seen

With DEATH NOTE being so widely-enjoyed, I was wondering whether most DEATH NOTE fans here on MAL dislike the final act of the story, and, if so, for what reasons

Personally, I liked the final 12 episodes more than the preceding Yotsuba Kira arc, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say
And while I have seen a few different topics about certain elements of the final 12 episodes (such as the show's ending or the character of Near), I didn't see a discussion of the arc's mixed reception as a whole when I searched through anime discussion

These are the options in the poll that I blocked out because they're huge spoilers:

This is my first anime discussion post, so I hope I didn't mess anything up
Kogasa-TataraApr 5, 2022 11:51 AM
My greatest contribution to this website:
Apr 4, 2022 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
I still love Death Note, but most of what happened post ep. 26 didn’t compare to the rest. I also wasn’t a fan of Melo and Near, or how Light lost.
Apr 4, 2022 3:54 PM

Apr 2016
There were two main problems for me:

1) Near appears suddenly. The whole existence of the orphanage feels like an easy way to give quickly a new antagonist to Light.

2) There were much less reasoning from Near. He jump into some right conclusions out of the blue, with no explanation. L didn't do that.
Apr 4, 2022 4:16 PM
Jan 2021
I never was in the anime community until 2020 so I never heard any opinions on any anime, and I think that has a huge impact on viewers. When a certain character died I thought the show was still good, it was just less suspenseful. Actually a lot of my opinions on certain anime are contradictory in the community for many years before I joined it, soooo, I think most opinions such as these are overhated. I don’t think the show lost its charm.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 4, 2022 4:23 PM

May 2009
Daninokuni said:

1) Near appears suddenly. The whole existence of the orphanage feels like an easy way to give quickly a new antagonist to Light.

2) There were much less reasoning from Near. He jump into some right conclusions out of the blue, with no explanation. L didn't do that.

The second point was a big one for me. I can’t remember which episode it was from, but iirc, there was a scene where Near was trying to figure out who the new Kira is (lawyer boy)—the camera shakes and zooms dramatically, Near points to one of the TVs on his wall full of TVs with the lawyer in it with no reasoning behind it that I can recall, and just magically arrives at the correct conclusion that he is the one. That was the point I realized that this is truly no longer the same show as pre-episode-25.
Apr 4, 2022 4:40 PM
Mar 2022
I look back on it with more love than I do anger. Having L standing over Kira overlooking what could’ve just been a bright young man, thinking about their mental battles and struggles just for light/Kira to blissfully close his eyes is more than I wanted now that I’m older.
Apr 4, 2022 4:41 PM
Mar 2022
. Misspoke and posted two post accidentally
Philleotardo1954Apr 4, 2022 10:15 PM
Apr 4, 2022 5:00 PM
Feb 2021
honestly I dont have any problems with it I found it about as good as the first 3rd
Apr 4, 2022 5:21 PM

May 2019
It was such a letdown watching Light's persona fall apart, he had so much potential. i just had a lot of second-hand embarrassment and the ending made me very upset HAHA

Near is a copy and paste of L but with not as much passion. i don't think he would have been willing to die for this case the way L was, it wasn't much of a game to him. It just felt like Near was a hindrance and all the built-up tension was gone. we lost Light and L's love-hate relationship and I feel the show stopped being entertaining.
remember the lesson, not the disappointment.
Apr 4, 2022 5:38 PM
Apr 2020
I wanted N to be smarter than Light not him to be stupid and trust in a nobody.
Apr 4, 2022 5:39 PM
Apr 2018
The first 25 episodes is the easiest 10/10, and the last 12 episodes is 9/10. It's still a 10/10 overall imo.
Apr 4, 2022 7:09 PM

Feb 2021
I didn't have any major issues with the third act of the show. I found it to be as enjoyable as the rest of it. Death Note was a 10/10 for me throughout.
Apr 4, 2022 8:27 PM
Mar 2022
Its just how everyone else said. Near straight up jumped to the conclusions without giving the audience the thought process. I think the reasoning behind his boldness in assuming things were stated it was somethig along the lines “one needs to take bold decisions in order to lead a successful investigation..”.
Of course its a no brainer that Near was the discount verson of L and the ending seemed rushed with near coming up with those assumptions out of nowhere. But still, the series for the first half is the best thing i’ve ever watched(10/10) with the second half being 9/10.
Apr 4, 2022 8:47 PM
Apr 2021
Death note was one of my first animes, so it had me hooked instantly. I watched the show in about 3-4 days and didn’t really get bored at all. I loved the ending as well
Apr 4, 2022 11:17 PM
Sep 2021
Near Sucks Kill him, Write his name on the death note plz
Apr 4, 2022 11:45 PM
Feb 2021
My biggest gripe was the fact that Mello was shoved to the wayside and had hardly any screen time. I remember reading somewhere that Mello was supposed to be the "dark horse" who exceeded expectations and surpassed both Near and Light (without necessarily having to die himself). I felt like the whole point of Near was to glorify Mello, who was supposed to be the star of the show. In the end Mello just sort of became used a convenient plot device because the creator couldn't figure out how to use Mello properly. He deserved much, much better.
Apr 4, 2022 11:56 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, I hated it. Their showdown should have been the finale of the series, or when Light kills him there should have been something happening because of L's death that ultimately took him down.

Not those N and M dudes, but just something else. Like imagine if L died and it releases everything he collected about Light that exposed him to the public as Kira, even if L thought it wasn't enough to convict him. Like Light defeated L, but now he has to deal with the entire world knowing, including his family. Just go completely for the moral dilemma.

Most of the final episodes weren't that bad. They weren't as good as the episodes with L, but still enjoyable. Just N and M were so annoying. Light taking over as L was a good idea too, but it just doesn't work.

The whole message of "two lesser geniuses are greater than one greater genius" is so boring. They could have just went all out and made L a Shinigami that comes back to hunt Light, it'd be just as stupid as the rest.
Apr 5, 2022 12:49 AM
Apr 2018
Death Note is a masterpiece, but Mello was a horrible character and did not deserve to exist in this story. Near was okay, but I'd rather the story continued on after L with Kira winning and it showing him changing the world, but the ending they gave us was fine as well. People act like Near didn't deserve to be L's successor, but he was just a kid, so we have to keep that in mind and I feel they created his entire persona quite nicely if you factor in his youth.

I wish they'd give us a sequel already because Platinum End was garbage.
Apr 5, 2022 2:15 AM
Jul 2021
I think Near was handled way better in the manga during the final arc. He felt more like a part of L, with the other part being Mello, instead of feeling like L 2.0.
Apr 5, 2022 4:39 AM

May 2021
Near and Mello just weren't good enough characters. Still, everyone slowly growing suspicious of Light made that arc for me.

Apr 5, 2022 7:44 AM

Apr 2016
Avalongus said:
Daninokuni said:

The second point was a big one for me. I can’t remember which episode it was from, but iirc, there was a scene where Near was trying to figure out who the new Kira is (lawyer boy)—the camera shakes and zooms dramatically, Near points to one of the TVs on his wall full of TVs with the lawyer in it with no reasoning behind it that I can recall, and just magically arrives at the correct conclusion that he is the one. That was the point I realized that this is truly no longer the same show as pre-episode-25.

THAT was the scene for me, too.

With that conclusion, Near opens his way to Kira, so it's a pretty important moment, and there were no explanation at all.
Apr 5, 2022 10:03 AM
Apr 2020
the way light lost with them just being able to swap the death note was an jncredibly infuriating way for light to lose especially to a doorknob boring ass clone character like Near who is just unfun vanilla L. If Light was gonna lose after beating L it should have been he himself being infuriated that his perfect world gives him no satisfaction and is worthless in an epilogue as a poetic twist .
BeowulfTheFoldinApr 5, 2022 10:07 AM
Apr 5, 2022 11:46 AM
Jun 2021
I feel like the show could’ve been so much better at part 2. Maybe light getting cocky that there’s no more L and then the rest of the police crew find hints and stuff leading to light. Bringing in another L type character was not really necessary. But overall still a masterpiece in my eyes.
Apr 5, 2022 2:59 PM
Mar 2022
Yea, the series really got boring after L died.... it seemed like the author had to end it but he didn't had the idea how to😂... so he/she dragged it and ended it that way!!
Apr 5, 2022 3:04 PM
Feb 2022
I really wish they didn't kill of L...like the other ones didn't feel right
Apr 5, 2022 3:09 PM
Jul 2021
It's an absolute trainwreck compared to what had come before it. It left a bad taste in my mouth and is the reason Death Note doesn't get a 10 but only a 7 from me
Apr 5, 2022 5:02 PM
JoJo enthusiast

Dec 2020
As possibly the biggest Near apologist on MAL, I honestly don't find him that bad. Sure, he's a boring version of L, but since L is such a great character, even a boring version of him is still a top tier character IMO.
The Sealing Club is back, baby!
Apr 5, 2022 5:47 PM
Mar 2022
I just feel like Near doesn't compare to L. I remember seeing that scene in the first episode where the "fake" L goes live on TV taunting Kira just to be killed, and then it cuts to the real L with the "gotcha" moment. I never got that same feeling of "holy heck, this guy is good!" with Near. While I still enjoy the series as a whole, it definitely doesn't feel the same once the orphanage is mentioned. It just feels.. idk it's just missing that something that made the first few episodes so special to me. I don't mind Near as a character but he just feels kind of soulless compared to L
Apr 5, 2022 6:06 PM
Sep 2014
I never liked how they handled L near the end. Near could never cut it after L. All in all, I didn't mind how they handled the final 12. It needed to end, they managed to end it in a way that made sense. Still, I think L coulda been made to last longer
Apr 6, 2022 7:56 AM

Dec 2020
The L Arc is definitely the best arc from Death Note. I love it. The Near and Mello Arc isn't as good as the L Arc, but it is still pretty great. Overall, Death Note is still a 10/10 for me.
Apr 6, 2022 8:04 AM
Mar 2022
ana aietaqad law an alanami aintahaa fi 12 halqat makina aistamtaena bih kathiran waqad yakun min alanamiaat aleadiat alati kama naraa daftar waqalam yaeni ma almaghzaa walakina dhaka' alkatib jaeal min alqisat jamilatan jidana sarahatan walakina eaybah alwahid hu alnihayat faqat 👍🔥
Apr 6, 2022 8:05 AM
Mar 2022
ana aietaqad law an alanami aintahaa fi 12 halqat makina aistamtaena bih kathiran waqad yakun min alanamiaat aleadiat alati kama naraa daftar waqalam yaeni ma almaghzaa walakina dhaka' alkatib jaeal min alqisat jamilatan jidana sarahatan walakina eaybah alwahid hu alnihayat faqat 👍🔥
Apr 6, 2022 12:51 PM
May 2019
It's not that I dislike the last third, but that it kind of feels like an entirely different anime by that point. It's a jarring shift to go from this sort of personal cat and mouse dynamic involving rivals to a far larger and more impersonal cops vs Big Bad show.

Had it been its own story, maybe taking place with the next holder of the Death Note, I think it could have been a good change of pace. Having it be part of Light's story was the mistake. Light and L were too intertwined, and it's why I prefer the Japanese live-action ending for both characters.
Apr 6, 2022 8:26 PM

Jul 2013
Other: The series had problems from the start. The middle was good, but the end was mediocre to bad.

It probably should have ended after Spoiler 1 with one more episode as an epilogue.
Omne Solum Forti Patria
Apr 6, 2022 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
I still love Death Note, but most of what happened post ep. 26 didn’t compare to the rest. I also wasn’t a fan of Melo and Near, or how Light lost.
Apr 7, 2022 12:09 AM
Apr 2021
opinion: people shit on it only because they love L
Apr 7, 2022 6:09 AM
Apr 2021
i think it was like 9/10.
Apr 9, 2022 6:30 AM

Apr 2022
Honestly, in 12 final episodes. I only like the final one
Like others said Near basically jumped into conclusion with no explanations which they had never done before with L and Light arc. It’s fucking ridiculous
And the final episode aka the ending really hit hard to me. I really love the ending so i think that’s the only thing i like about Near and Mello arc

Plus: I also love Near’s weirdness, and it’s really awesome
Apr 9, 2022 9:05 AM
Jun 2021
Tbh everything about it was fine until Near showed up, Mello was fine with me, even Mikami was cool but Near was just bad. Ruined the whole third of the anime for me. I mean, I geniunely was suprised when L died but it didn't ruin my hopes for the anime, until Near came out of nowhere. There was no tension anymore and the death note switch thing in the last episode was just stupid, yeah yeah, rewrite everything identically, that is surely possible. I wish Light lost to Near lost differently too, honestly the whole death note switch thing was just stupid, I kinda hated it. At least with L's detective stuff there was suspicion, tension and arguments that suprisingly made sense.
Apr 14, 2022 11:08 AM

Jan 2021
Last 12 episodes of the anime adapted the last 5 and a half volumes of the manga, while first 27 adapted 6 and a half volumes

That's why the last 12 episodes feel so underwhelming, idk why they rushed it soo much
Apr 14, 2022 11:09 AM

Jan 2021
Last 12 episodes of the anime adapted the last 5 and a half volumes of the manga, while first 27 adapted 6 and a half volumes

That's why the last 12 episodes feel so underwhelming, idk why they rushed it so much
Apr 15, 2022 1:36 PM

Dec 2021
BitchyONO said:
Tbh everything about it was fine until Near showed up, Mello was fine with me, even Mikami was cool but Near was just bad. Ruined the whole third of the anime for me. I mean, I geniunely was suprised when L died but it didn't ruin my hopes for the anime, until Near came out of nowhere. There was no tension anymore and the death note switch thing in the last episode was just stupid, yeah yeah, rewrite everything identically, that is surely possible. I wish Light lost to Near lost differently too, honestly the whole death note switch thing was just stupid, I kinda hated it. At least with L's detective stuff there was suspicion, tension and arguments that suprisingly made sense.

MIKAMI is such an idiot lmao. The anime makes him look like an even bigger idiot with those dumb faces he makes.
Apr 15, 2022 5:36 PM

Dec 2021
it was a little rushed but I still really enjoyed it, Mikami and Mello are great characters, Near is fine in the anime though the manga made me like him more. if they added a couple of episodes to this part it would be much better and enjoyable.
Apr 16, 2022 4:58 AM
Feb 2020
its a little rushed but its good,ppl who think otherwise dont understand death note,like the one who think light should win,or near is just lucky when the one who is lucky from the start are light/kira.
Apr 17, 2022 11:20 PM
Nov 2021
Stop the series when Light kills L and consider that the end. L dies and Light creates his utopia.
Apr 17, 2022 11:24 PM
Nov 2021
Dreams404 said:
Near is of course just as clever as L. However the writer never really creates an good dynamic between near and light as near is never really in danger and his personality is not as interesting as L. Even light calls near a cheap knockoff. However other than that I had no problems with the second part.

Near is not as clever as L. Near admits that he could never beat L, that him and Mello had to work together to surpass him.
Apr 17, 2022 11:25 PM

Jul 2021
All of the poll options are true.

Apr 17, 2022 11:27 PM

Dec 2021
final 12 episodes were a slog to get through, the 2nd half wasn't nearly as engaging as before. mainly cuz near is so much worse than L and many of the stuff that happened went all over the place

ending felt rushed and how the entire reveal of near just having the stuff to prove light is kira was poorly executed. that being said light and its themes have a good conclusion and the ending is the best part of this mess of a 2nd half
cosmicoisrealApr 17, 2022 11:31 PM
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Apr 27, 2022 2:11 PM

Aug 2019
Honestly, the studio kinda effed up. Mello got more screen-time in the manga, but a lot of his scenes were cut short or removed altogether because I guess the studio wanted the pacing to go a little faster. I'm still mad that they didn't adapt the first attempted siege on Mello's hideout and simply skipped past that subplot.

Same applies to Sidoh. There were a few small scenes of his that weren't adapted, my favorite being him reading old shinigami scrolls in order to familiarize himself with some of the rules.

And don't get me started on the final episode and how Light's death was changed, or how the studio skipped the last chapter of the manga even though it would've given the task force members and the SPK some closure.
May 4, 2022 4:57 AM
May 2022
I'm re-reading the manga right now, I'm on chapter 74, and well, I really like Mello and Light's plan. For me it has the same plot as the first half of the series.
It is like, we can't compare Near and L because they are different characters, which is more there are three Ls this time (Near, Light and Mello) so we can proof that L's capacities are superior (but well, he needed help because he is a human at the end of the day).

More topics from this board

» Psychoanalyzing Light Yagami but in gen z slangs

egosumjohn - Mar 31

28 by Bunnix21 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Death Note Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kei-clone - Mar 21, 2007

121 by misterskinny »»
Apr 27, 8:46 PM

Poll: » Does Death Note deserve a remake? ( 1 2 )

Kenny_Stryker - Nov 2, 2017

55 by Absurdo_N »»
Apr 26, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 14, 2007

110 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:03 PM

Poll: » Death Note Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

UFO - Feb 7, 2007

132 by misterskinny »»
Apr 25, 9:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.