Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 8, 2022 3:51 PM

May 2017

Was going to put some of this in my review for the movie but there's too much

-SPOILERS FOR FGO SOLOMON-

I still believe Solomon would have been considerably more spectacular if it had been animated as a series comparable to Babylonia.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case, so I'll go over some of the bits I felt were worth mentioning.

In the game, Goetia obtained all ten of Solomon's rings to fight you one final time, even if he was going to die soon after. He doesn't have the ten rings in the movie, so all he can do is fistfight Fujimaru until the end. This was justified because the game allows you to summon Servants to battle. This is to even out the combat between Fujimaru and Goetia, as the Servant summoning through his Mystic Code had already gone into overdrive.

Due to time constraints, many of the fights with the Pillars are streamlined, and most of the interaction between the servants and Fujimaru is omitted.

When Mash returns from her valiant sacrifice, it is told that Fou, a beast with centuries of magical energy, uses it to resuscitate Mash and extend her brief life to that of a regular human at the cost of his own intelligence and personality. This answer is not given in the movie, although it is hinted at when Fou's true form appears briefly on screen and in written narration at the end credit roll.

Due to time constraints and many of them only having roles in event chapters that were not adapted, several servants who appeared in the game version do not appear in the film. The only event-only servants in the film are Vlad III Extra, Fuuma Kotaro, and Edmond Dantes.
Similarly, Andromalius, the eighth Pillar, is never mentioned while identifying the Pillars, and out of the 72 Demon Pillars, Flauvios and Bael are the only ones with speaking lines.

As the "Supreme Summoning Spell" conjured by Solomon or, in other words, being the first Servant to ever exist, Goetia has the attribute of Nega-Summon. This skill allows him to completely negate other Servants, barring Mash and Solomon, and erase their existence at a whim by unsummoning them if he so wishes. It renders him impenetrable until Solomon makes a sacrifice to remove the magic that keeps him stable, allowing him to be hindered by the other Servants.

In this film, anime fans will recognize some characters from Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Extra Last Encore.

Ars Nova wasn't really explained much, but it is Solomon's Noble Phantasm; It is the act of returning to Heaven the gifts that God has given him. This literally erases him from the rest of the world, even the Throne of Heroes. Since Goetia was Solomon's invention, this significantly weakens him, allowing Chaldea to vanquish him.

Fujimaru is granted an anime-exclusive Mystic Code that exploits his nervous system as a pseudo-Magic Circuit, allowing him to summon without much of the standard criteria. Consequently, it damages him each time he uses it; as a result, it's only meant to be used seven times. At the final stand, he kicks it into overdrive, developing a jumbled-together Zwei Form that removes the summoning's limitations and boosts his physical skills while wreaking havoc on his internal organs. This was a reasonable choice to compensate for the film's lack of a gacha mechanism. Fujimaru can't just go out and buy Saint Quartz for a buck each and start summoning limited edition Arjuna Alter, Merlin, Gilgamesh, and other overpowered Servants.

I'd also like to point out that he appears in his Shinjuku design when Bael reports to Solomon. I thought this was a nice detail.

The movie gave me the same feels I had when I played this singularity. Particularly when Mash gives Fujimaru a smile as she shields him from Goetia's Noble Phantasm, Ars Almadel Salomonis, for the last time.
Romani also smiled before utilizing his third Noble Phantasm, Ars Nova, sacrificing himself to weaken Goetia and allow Ritsuka a chance to fight him.
Watching these two scenes in animation form really did me a solid.

One particular detail I noticed was when Fujimaru overclocks his Mystic Code to call as many Servants as he needs in his final battle with Goetia. The low-battery red colouring on the suit's spine suddenly flashes gold, and to add to the effect, my golden king himself, Gilgamesh, comes as the first Servant at this time. However, it was unfortunate that Gilgamesh didn't do much throughout the anime, yet he practically soloed the most powerful demon pillar in the game.

I enjoyed how Goetia initially misinterprets Ritsuka's message "To Live" as merely a wish to survive, but once he utilizes the last of his vitality to fight Ritsuka as a mortal, he sees the true meaning. That "Living is more than Surviving".

Fujimaru's fighting Mystic Code (which turns his physical nervous system into Magic Circuits for summoning) is based on Shirou Emiya's botched attempt at employing magic at the start of Fate/stay night. Furthermore, the Mystic Code's prominent circuit just above Fujimaru's spine alludes to how the flawed approach causes suffering similar to "inserting a hot iron rod into the spine." Its overclocked version, on the other hand, is a reference to Prisma Illya's Zwei Form, since it turns his entire body to Magic Circuits, even giving him wings similar to Illya's when she utilizes that form.

The summoning chant Fujimaru uses while using the Servant Summon function is a reworked version of the chant used by the Holy Grail War combatants in Fate/Zero. I believe that this was to better reflect that the magic of Animusphere and Chaldea powers it rather than the Einzbern, Tohsaka, and Makiri.

Goetia's final combat as Man-King Goetia against Ritsuka is eerily similar to Shirou's first fight against Kirei at the end of Heaven's Feel, in that it ends in a draw because the opponent died from their previous wounds.

Another fine detail I noticed was when Goetia uses Ars Almadel Salomonis, the enormous halo in the sky briefly glitches.

Averted because of Fujimaru's seven summons; Lev was pleased when he blew through three of them against the Starter Boss without hesitation. He then bursts through the limit and summons even more at the final conclusion of the conflict. Truly a turn of events, the ultimate limit break indeed.
Mar 8, 2022 8:43 PM

Jan 2021
movie has nero and scathach so its easily 9/10 for me
Read the visual novel nerd
Mar 10, 2022 6:46 AM

Dec 2010
Great post plus the references.

It would be nice if someone made a post about the differences between the game and anime because I'm sure there's a lot since the movie is only about an hour long.

I was happy to see Nero (Umu) and she even got a few lines but my poor girl Eresh only appeared once for a brief second.
Mar 11, 2022 5:37 AM

May 2017
booyah10 said:

It would be nice if someone made a post about the differences between the game and anime because I'm sure there's a lot since the movie is only about an hour long.

I was happy to see Nero (Umu) and she even got a few lines but my poor girl Eresh only appeared once for a brief second.

Thanks

and I believe I've mentioned some differences between the game and the movie in this thread.

The movie actually did the adaptation quite well, aside from leaving out a huge amount of parts that weren't plot crucial, the main difference would be that Fujimaru relied on a mystic code to summon a maximum of 7 servants instead of the game which literally allows Fujimaru to just summon as many as he wanted.

Alot of the fights were cut out and Gilgamesh didnt do anything in the movie except appear and talk about irony whereas in the game he pretty much soloed one of the pillars like it was nothing.

Mar 11, 2022 5:39 AM

May 2017
booyah10 said:

salad_farded said:

Umu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 11, 2022 5:58 AM

Jan 2021
DoomRanger said:
booyah10 said:

salad_farded said:

Umu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

umu indeed!!!!!!!!!!
Read the visual novel nerd

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Shuukyoku Tokuiten - Kani Jikan Shinden Solomon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Stray - Jul 31, 2021

120 by keynutil »»
Apr 20, 5:55 PM

» Some questions about the plot (Spoilers)

Mathi786 - Jan 31

9 by Code-Valhalla »»
Feb 3, 3:35 AM

» Don't watch this if you haven't played the game

KaizukaZekrom - Jan 22, 2022

39 by Sol_Ou »»
Oct 15, 2023 3:35 PM

» Do I need to watch the Camelot movies first?

StuntMastah - Aug 19, 2023

6 by PurpleMoon7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 3:06 PM

» We’re in the End Game!

Reshiram_IX - Mar 22, 2020

31 by LISA302 »»
Jul 25, 2023 10:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.