Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 21, 2021 7:34 AM
Aug 2021
I watched ReZero and absolutely loved it, so much I rewatched it. This was 2 months ago. I heard a lot about another anime, Stiens;Gate, and finally gave it a watch. Gotta say it’s got a really well crafted plot and story and the characters are loveable. But I still feel it lacked a lot. The romance for example felt rushed
also the start was slow. ReZero however had me hooked in from the start. Also it’s got more characters, and their backstories. There is world building too, making ReZero more immersive then Stiens;Gate. Again this is just my opinion, but I heard way too many people saying SG is better, so I wanted to know if anyone’s got the same opinion too. Thoughts?
Oct 21, 2021 7:51 AM
Nov 2020
Both of these anime are two of my favourites and I love them both . I like Steins;Gate a little more because I instantly loved the characters . Unlike most people I had no problem with the slow first couple of episodes it just made me spend more time focusing on the characters which I enjoyed . Re:zero though definitely has taken a lot more opportunities towards world building and it makes it so different from most lazy Isekai worlds . That was my two cents . Your opinion has my respect though .
Oct 21, 2021 7:54 AM
Mar 2019
Re Zero is my favourite anime and Stein's Gate is in my top 10.
As much as i love the first half of the show and how makes it hit the second half harder,There were parts of the First half were i was like okay this is interesting and all but Time travel wher?I do love how they incoparated the time travel changing The enviroment around Okabe and everyone having no idea about it.I do like the characters and stuff but i do feel sometimes the dialoge dragged on at times.
Re Zero however solves this issue easily.
Shows the premise and sells the dark tone on the first few episodes.
Show the many possible routes of Return by Death's Mechanics and how it works.And most importantly(Show every single side of Each character,this is something of which i wish Steins gate did a bit more of.)
Also Re Zero doesn't waste time with its dialogue.Hell some of the stuff is foreshadowed if you play close attention in season 1 that comes into MAJOR play in season 2.
While steins gate imo felt too fast or slow at rare instances,Re Zero feels perfectly paced in my eyes.
Also also Re Zero Has Subaru who is my Favourite Protaganist of any media so far because of how much I personally relate with him.
Oct 21, 2021 7:56 AM
Jul 2021
l1ght__ said:
I watched ReZero and absolutely loved it, so much I rewatched it. This was 2 months ago. I heard a lot about another anime, Stiens;Gate, and finally gave it a watch. Gotta say it’s got a really well crafted plot and story and the characters are loveable. But I still feel it lacked a lot. The romance for example felt rushed
also the start was slow. ReZero however had me hooked in from the start. Also it’s got more characters, and their backstories. There is world building too, making ReZero more immersive then Stiens;Gate. Again this is just my opinion, but I heard way too many people saying SG is better, so I wanted to know if anyone’s got the same opinion too. Thoughts?

I think like you the community of re zero is often divided into the famous teams rem and emilia. But despite being in the rem team in general both teams we love and appreciate these anime. As I see it, it's the most beautiful anime I ever watched. And it will be forever. The characters, the story, The plot, all of this not just for Entertainment, but for create a story in our hearts, to feel all those emotions and believe me, I feel them all.
RAF001Oct 21, 2021 8:05 AM
Oct 21, 2021 7:59 AM
Jul 2021
RAF001 said:
l1ght__ said:

I think like you the community of re zero is often divided into the famous teams rem and emilia. But despite being in the rem team in general both teams we love and appreciate these anime. As I see it, it's the most beautiful anime I ever watched.I believe it is

Echidna and Ram >>>>>
Oct 21, 2021 8:18 AM
Mar 2021
I think Steins;Gate is far better and it’s not even close. Re:Zero had some good bits like the mansion arc but the royal selection stuff is more boring than the start of Steins;Gate, which imo is a great start that is partly building tension and partly making you care about the characters. Re:Zero also had a slow start and only got good in episode 5, but it didn’t have a strong first episode right off the bat like Steins;Gate.

For me Re:Zero is a decent 8/10, but Steins;Gate is 10/10 and one of my favourite anime. I think it does a much better job making you like the characters other than just the main character and main female character like in Re:Zero. Suzuha is my favourite character and she is a side character. It also has nothing immersion-breaking like Betelgeuse ruining some scenes. When it wants to be serious it is extremely serious and the first half is a nice contrast to that with some comedy and a more light atmosphere and then the second half suddenly hits you with heavy hit after heavy hit.
Oct 21, 2021 8:18 AM

Jun 2021
Stein's gate is my 3rd fav anime even though I agree. Okabe's romance had little screentime regardless both handle different aspects and goals. Romance is Re Zero is also a bit slow but it ages like a fine wine with every arc.

You are amazing 『Natsuki Subaru』
Oct 21, 2021 8:22 AM
Feb 2021
l1ght__ said:

I love both of these anime, and there is no problem with having your preferences.
Oct 21, 2021 8:48 AM
Jun 2021
In my opinion both are awsome and I honestly don’t know which one I like more I’ll probably rewatch Re Zero soon but one thing o note is that re zero season 2 is pretty slow for me tbh still like it tho
Oct 21, 2021 8:55 AM

Nov 2020
I would say they are both on an insanely high level. If I had to choose one which I like more, I would say Re:Zero, even if it is only a slightly difference. In the end they are both in my Top 3
Oct 21, 2021 9:12 AM
May 2018
Steins;Gate has one advantage: the story is complete, even if you only watch the 2011 version. All the rest are optional. It's simpler.

Re:Zero promises a fantasy epic by introducing multiple factions and forces. Which will take multiple seasons to unravel and resolve. Hopefully it gets completed in a satisfying way.

Either is fine, both are awesome.
Oct 21, 2021 9:21 AM

Jul 2017
id say s1 rezero and sg are on par
Oct 21, 2021 9:45 AM

Sep 2018
For me, Re:Zero only got good after episode 16. I just couldn’t stand how Subaru acted and how little he got out of his ability. For all the arguments about “realism” regarding his mental problems and trauma, he acted in ways I don’t think anyone would, ever. I’d probably give re/zero up to episode 16 a 3.5/10, and from there to the end a 9 (thanks to the change in his attitude). His ‘attitude change’ didn’t revert after that and we leaned even more about the world, so season 2 part 1 ended up REALLY close to a 10/10 for me. Echidna is one of my favourite characters of all time.

Steins:Gate, however, was a perfect 10 from start to finish for me. I do feel

Of course, this doesn’t mean S;G is better than R/Z; and your opinion doesn’t mean the opposite. Opinions are subjective, after all. What matters is that we have fun watching them :)
Oct 21, 2021 10:29 AM
Dec 2020
l1ght__ said:

You had us in the first half, I’m not gonna lie.
Oct 21, 2021 10:29 AM

Jan 2019
Re:Zero is better than Steins;Gate without doubt. I like Steins;Gate but found it is kinda little overrated because Time Travel aspects and some other things was already done in old movies & books i watched and read.

Well for Re:Zero it is very deep, complex and long series focus almost every genre. There is Action, There is Romance, There is Mystery, There is Horror, almost it has every genre in it. Don't forget World Building, Lore, Character Development, Foreshadowing, Details etc. etc and many other things.

If you don't like Fantasy and doesn't have patience for long series maybe you can find Steins;Gate more enjoyable i don't know.
OkeanixOct 22, 2021 4:52 AM

Looking for better series than Re:Zero
Oct 21, 2021 10:37 AM
Jan 2021
RAF001 said:
l1ght__ said:

I think like you the community of re zero is often divided into the famous teams rem and emilia. But despite being in the rem team in general both teams we love and appreciate these anime. As I see it, it's the most beautiful anime I ever watched. And it will be forever. The characters, the story, The plot, all of this not just for Entertainment, but for create a story in our hearts, to feel all those emotions and believe me, I feel them all.

After having watched only 30 entries on mal…
Oct 21, 2021 10:50 AM
Mar 2021
I love both, Re zero and Steins Gate. i like Re zero because of its amazing written characters, and it’s realistic development. The way Subaru managed to save his friends in the other world multiple times felt realistic, I could feel his pain while failing and I don’t see him as a character, but as a person who’s trying their best to save his loved ones. Emilia’s development from season 1 to season 2 really impressed me, because I didn’t find nothing special in her character. But she really is such an interesting character, her past was crazy, going through all of that really made me cry. And the mysteries of Re zero is another of my favorite things. I wonder who’s really Emilia, is she Satella? Who called Subaru to this world?, I have many doubts and that’s something I love.

On the Other hand, Steins Gate really impresses me because of its plot, how the story gets introduced. I like the way it is slow-paced, I doesn’t feel rushed at all. It slowly starts to introduce its plot, and every episode becomes more interesting than the last one. I Really like it’s characters and their developments too. Okabe being depressed and frustrated because of him not able to save mayuri felt real, I could feel his pain and I wanted him to succeed. Another thing I like is the environment, it is mysterious but comedic at the same time. I had a great laugh when Okabe would act like a mad scientist or when he tried to speak English and said “I am mad scientist. It’s so cool!”. I also was very interested in founding out why was Makise dead on the first episode and what was really happening.

I don’t think Steins Gate lacked a lot and it’s main theme was not romance, so idk what you were expecting. I do like romance and think steins gate had the perfect amount and felt balanced. Of course, I do think the romance development was better on Re Zero, because Subaru crushing to actually loving Emilia was a very good development and how Emilia developed feelings.
Oct 21, 2021 11:21 AM
Aug 2020
And I even heard that the next two arcs of re zero are even better so....there won't be any questions to ask ig,I can't wait to read the novels are appreciate re zero even more
Oct 21, 2021 6:02 PM
Mar 2021
Nah SG is better for sure
Oct 21, 2021 8:55 PM
Mar 2021
I don't understand the comparison between Steins gate and re zero. Is there any similarity between them? They are totally different shows with different plots and different fanbase. Re zero is isekai and steins gate is time travel. Both are best in their own league. Don't compare the uncomparable.

Btw I rated 10 star to both of them. :-)
Oct 21, 2021 10:31 PM
Mar 2021
Hmm. I kinda had mixed feelings about re zero. I didn't much like it but didn't much dislike it either. Until the last season bin that episode where the witch says something like "saving everyone means saving yourself too. Why don't you understand that". After that particular scene i started liking re zero. Steins gate I had mixed feelings for a few episodes but after that the thrill kicked in for me.
Oct 21, 2021 11:08 PM

Aug 2021
Did not trigger me at all xD Re:Zero is one of my all time favourites and I too was hooked from the very beginning. Though I watched Stein's Gate and while I found it interesting, it had moved way too slow for me and the characters seemed kind of bland to me unlike the vibrance of Re:Zero
Oct 21, 2021 11:44 PM
May 2019
After watching S;G, I can tell without a doubt that Rezero is better. The start of S;G was very hard to watch, the characters aren't as relatable, until episode 14 or so when the plot actually started.
Oct 21, 2021 11:46 PM

Apr 2018
I just want to say i can't wait to read a thread that says "Sorry if this triggers anyone but..."
Let's see how this dumpster fire pans out.
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Oct 22, 2021 4:27 AM
Oct 2020
It should be a popular opinion despite me liking both. Re Zero is better than SG in many writing departments.
Oct 22, 2021 3:49 PM
Jul 2021
Nah i just finished watching steins;gate and i have given both re;zero and steins;gate a 9/10 as theyre both really good but i agree re;zero is slightly more engaging but the comedy in steins; gate is much better

Oct 22, 2021 7:17 PM
Jan 2021
Deane said:
For me, Re:Zero only got good after episode 16. I just couldn’t stand how Subaru acted and how little he got out of his ability. For all the arguments about “realism” regarding his mental problems and trauma, he acted in ways I don’t think anyone would, ever. I’d probably give re/zero up to episode 16 a 3.5/10, and from there to the end a 9 (thanks to the change in his attitude). His ‘attitude change’ didn’t revert after that and we leaned even more about the world, so season 2 part 1 ended up REALLY close to a 10/10 for me. Echidna is one of my favourite characters of all time.

Of course, this doesn’t mean S;G is better than R/Z; and your opinion doesn’t mean the opposite. Opinions are subjective, after all. What matters is that we have fun watching them :)

What wasnt realistic about the way he acted? Ive watched and read it and there wasnt anything that was really out of line with how others would act given his situation. The biggest one i think ur talking about is probably his way of acting during the royal selection but that whole time he was basically just protecting his pride rather than admitting he was wrong which is something most people do.
Oct 22, 2021 8:27 PM
Sep 2021
Nitroade24h said:
I think Steins;Gate is far better and it’s not even close. Re:Zero had some good bits like the mansion arc but the royal selection stuff is more boring than the start of Steins;Gate, which imo is a great start that is partly building tension and partly making you care about the characters. Re:Zero also had a slow start and only got good in episode 5, but it didn’t have a strong first episode right off the bat like Steins;Gate.

For me Re:Zero is a decent 8/10, but Steins;Gate is 10/10 and one of my favourite anime. I think it does a much better job making you like the characters other than just the main character and main female character like in Re:Zero. Suzuha is my favourite character and she is a side character. It also has nothing immersion-breaking like Betelgeuse ruining some scenes. When it wants to be serious it is extremely serious and the first half is a nice contrast to that with some comedy and a more light atmosphere and then the second half suddenly hits you with heavy hit after heavy hit.

What? The first half of rezeros s1 is basically the same structure as steins gate first half. Both are there to introduce ideas of time travel or things of that nature and help u build a connection and bond with characters before the bigger tragedy strikes. The only difference really is the ways they do it. Steins gate does it in a humorous sol way while rezero does it in a tragic kind of way.

And rezero season 1 didnt even revolve around and develop that many characters yet to make u like all of them so comparing the two by that standard doesnt even make much sense. The character progression is obviously not gonna be as good in a long running series first season when compared to a short series only season.

And what was immersion breaking about betelgeuse? The scenes with the witch cults tone were supposed to be weird, eerie and creepy not super serious like steins gate. Betelgeuse is supposed to be insane and weird which is made pretty obvious after his first encounter. They literally had weird creepy music playing in the background everytime betelgeuse showed up. What type of tone did u think the witches cult would have? They literally showed up without saying one word and captured and ran off with subaru.
Oct 23, 2021 2:06 AM
Mar 2021
afrojamurai said:
Nitroade24h said:

What? The first half of rezeros s1 is basically the same structure as steins gate first half. Both are there to introduce ideas of time travel or things of that nature and help u build a connection and bond with characters before the bigger tragedy strikes. The only difference really is the ways they do it. Steins gate does it in a humorous sol way while rezero does it in a tragic kind of way.

And rezero season 1 didnt even revolve around and develop that many characters yet to make u like all of them so comparing the two by that standard doesnt even make much sense. The character progression is obviously not gonna be as good in a long running series first season when compared to a short series only season.

And what was immersion breaking about betelgeuse? The scenes with the witch cults tone were supposed to be weird, eerie and creepy not super serious like steins gate. Betelgeuse is supposed to be insane and weird which is made pretty obvious after his first encounter. They literally had weird creepy music playing in the background everytime betelgeuse showed up. What type of tone did u think the witches cult would have? They literally showed up without saying one word and captured and ran off with subaru.
I thought the witch’s cult would be creepy not trying to be funny. It was just way too exaggerated and tone-breaking for me compared to the tone of the rest of the episode so it took me right out of the situation to the point I was just waiting for the next scene.

The difference between Re:Zero and Steins;Gate in the first half is that they’re both great but Steins;Gate gets better and Re:Zero gets worse after a good start. Re:Zero goes from inward struggle and getting to know the rules of the world to a typical fantasy “let’s beat the bad guy” anime, and Steins;Gate goes from inward struggle to know the rules of the world to an even greater inward struggle of having the burden of everything on you and not shying away from being sad, while keeping the same tension all the way through until the end.

Both are around 25 episodes long so I think it’s fair to compare them.
Oct 23, 2021 3:40 AM

Jan 2019
Nitroade24h said:

Except Steins;Gate is 25 Episode series while
Re:Zero is you know just main story is 250 Episode series.

You can't compare short scifi series with one season and very long deep fantasy series.

Oct 23, 2021 4:22 AM
Mar 2021
Okeanix said:
Nitroade24h said:

You can't compare short scifi series with one season and very long deep fantasy series.
No but I can compare the first season of both, which I did. Just because something is longer or gets better later on it doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to compare them for what they are.
Oct 23, 2021 4:37 AM

Jan 2019
Nitroade24h said:
Okeanix said:

No but I can compare the first season of both, which I did. Just because something is longer or gets better later on it doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to compare them for what they are.

No you can't compare them. Again i say this once again

Re:Zero Season 1 is just a prologue.
Steins;Gate Season 1 is also the final of the series. (0 is alternative)

There is tons of foreshadowing, details and build ups in Re:Zero Season 1 which Steins;Gate doesn't need.

Oct 23, 2021 4:57 AM
Mar 2021
Okeanix said:
Nitroade24h said:

No you can't compare them. Again i say this once again

Re:Zero Season 1 is just a prologue.
Steins;Gate Season 1 is also the final of the series. (0 is alternative)

There is tons of foreshadowing, details and build ups in Re:Zero Season 1 which Steins;Gate doesn't need.
But I did compare them, so I can. Being a part of a longer series isn’t an excuse for having uninteresting parts. I am aware it doesn’t have an ending, but I’m not comparing them based on the ending. Steins;Gate was consistently good, and Re:Zero was inconsistently good. That’s all I’m saying.
Oct 23, 2021 5:47 AM

Sep 2018
Dev_007 said:
Deane said:

What wasnt realistic about the way he acted? Ive watched and read it and there wasnt anything that was really out of line with how others would act given his situation. The biggest one i think ur talking about is probably his way of acting during the royal selection but that whole time he was basically just protecting his pride rather than admitting he was wrong which is something most people do.

Well, the royal selection, him just making stupid poses right after literally dying, his trauma only showing up when it’s convenient, many moments like these. I’m sorry I can’t give many concrete examples, it’s been a long time since I watched it.

All I can say is that everything after episode 16 made it 100% worth it. I’ve gotten many friends into Re/Zero already :)
Oct 23, 2021 5:59 AM
Sep 2021
Nitroade24h said:
afrojamurai said:

I thought the witch’s cult would be creepy not trying to be funny. It was just way too exaggerated and tone-breaking for me compared to the tone of the rest of the episode so it took me right out of the situation to the point I was just waiting for the next scene.

The difference between Re:Zero and Steins;Gate in the first half is that they’re both great but Steins;Gate gets better and Re:Zero gets worse after a good start. Re:Zero goes from inward struggle and getting to know the rules of the world to a typical fantasy “let’s beat the bad guy” anime, and Steins;Gate goes from inward struggle to know the rules of the world to an even greater inward struggle of having the burden of everything on you and not shying away from being sad, while keeping the same tension all the way through until the end.

I mean the intro to Betelgeuse shouldve changed ur idea of how the witchs cult shouldve been from just creepy to creepy and insane. If it didnt then ur probably not gonna like any of the other archbishops that appear further in the story.

whats ur idea of “lets beat the bad guy” anime cause something as vague as that can literally be used for just about any anime that involves fighting a bad guy. And wat ur saying is literally the same as rezero. Rezero LITERALLY went from an inward struggle to an even bigger inward struggle with subarus deaths and the obstacles he had to get through alone while literally having the tension of death happening at almost any possible moment.

And thats like comparing the first 25 ep cast of one piece to the first 25 ep of steins gate. Because rezero is a long running series there not gonna try to make u like everyone on the first season. If they did that theyd definitely be doing way to much. Just like any other long running series there developing characters slowly to not rush there development and puttin there focus on like 1- 3 characters at a time in an arc. Comparing any long running series first 25 episodes to an anime that has only 25 episodes doesnt make sense at all. Ur basically comparing a prologue to a whole completed story.
Oct 23, 2021 6:24 AM
Mar 2021
afrojamurai said:
Nitroade24h said:

I mean the intro to Betelgeuse shouldve changed ur idea of how the witchs cult shouldve been from just creepy to creepy and insane. If it didnt then ur probably not gonna like any of the other archbishops that appear further in the story.

whats ur idea of “lets beat the bad guy” anime cause something as vague as that can literally be used for just about any anime that involves fighting a bad guy. And wat ur saying is literally the same as rezero. Rezero LITERALLY went from an inward struggle to an even bigger inward struggle with subarus deaths and the obstacles he had to get through alone while literally having the tension of death happening at almost any possible moment.

And thats like comparing the first 25 ep cast of one piece to the first 25 ep of steins gate. Because rezero is a long running series there not gonna try to make u like everyone on the first season. If they did that theyd definitely be doing way to much. Just like any other long running series there developing characters slowly to not rush there development and puttin there focus on like 1- 3 characters at a time in an arc. Comparing any long running series first 25 episodes to an anime that has only 25 episodes doesnt make sense at all. Ur basically comparing a prologue to a whole completed story.
I mean that Re:Zero went from an inward struggle to save everyone in the mansion to killing the white whale and Betelgeuse and just action and stuff.

I know Re:Zero isn’t a complete story, but if I’m comparing how much I enjoyed it compared to Steins;Gate, then I enjoyed it less, and I think that’s fair. In the end, I’m just comparing 25 episodes of an anime to 24 episodes of a different anime, and I’m not comparing them as completed stories, I’m comparing them as 25 episodes of anime, of which Steins;Gate is much more enjoyable to watch and much more interesting and made me more invested in what was happening. I’m not saying that Steins;Gate is better because it has an ending or because it is complete, I’m saying that I enjoyed it a lot more, which is the reason I watch anime, so I feel like I can compare enjoyment of one series to another, even if it isn’t finished.
Oct 23, 2021 2:46 PM
Sep 2021
Nitroade24h said:
afrojamurai said:

I mean that Re:Zero went from an inward struggle to save everyone in the mansion to killing the white whale and Betelgeuse and just action and stuff.

I know Re:Zero isn’t a complete story, but if I’m comparing how much I enjoyed it compared to Steins;Gate, then I enjoyed it less, and I think that’s fair. In the end, I’m just comparing 25 episodes of an anime to 24 episodes of a different anime, and I’m not comparing them as completed stories, I’m comparing them as 25 episodes of anime, of which Steins;Gate is much more enjoyable to watch and much more interesting and made me more invested in what was happening. I’m not saying that Steins;Gate is better because it has an ending or because it is complete, I’m saying that I enjoyed it a lot more, which is the reason I watch anime, so I feel like I can compare enjoyment of one series to another, even if it isn’t finished.

I mean how were u expecting things to go? There was no way to evacuate the town without getting rid of the witch cult so there was never an option where thered be no action. And even then the first half of the season shouldve made it clear its not going to be ONLY psychological so those fights shouldnt have been suprising especially since the fights were all built up to. Its not like the inner conflict was entirely thrown out the window but there wasnt much else to dive into until after the white whale and witch cult fight

And what im saying is that its just weird to compare a cast thats completed to a cast thats barely even started. I dont mind that u liked steins gate cast more than rezeros but the way you worded it made it seem like its weird or bad for rezeros cast to not be as fleshed out as steins gate in the first season.
Oct 23, 2021 3:42 PM
Jan 2021
Deane said:
Dev_007 said:

Well, the royal selection, him just making stupid poses right after literally dying, his trauma only showing up when it’s convenient, many moments like these. I’m sorry I can’t give many concrete examples, it’s been a long time since I watched it.

All I can say is that everything after episode 16 made it 100% worth it. I’ve gotten many friends into Re/Zero already :)

Im pretty sure the only times he made a dumb pose was when he introduced himself to emilia, after he saved emilia, and maybe at the start of the mansion arc but never right after he died. There was nothing really wrong with the royal selection either. Its been a while since ive seen it too but im pretty certain his trauma never showed up at convenient times at all.

But still nice that u enjoyed it after ep 16. I got a good amount of my friends on it too
Oct 23, 2021 4:30 PM

Sep 2018
Dev_007 said:
Deane said:

Im pretty sure the only times he made a dumb pose was when he introduced himself to emilia, after he saved emilia, and maybe at the start of the mansion arc but never right after he died. There was nothing really wrong with the royal selection either. Its been a while since ive seen it too but im pretty certain his trauma never showed up at convenient times at all.

But still nice that u enjoyed it after ep 16. I got a good amount of my friends on it too

I do remember one time where right after he died and woke up in one of the beds in Roswaal's mansion (with Rem and possibly also Ram waiting for him to wake up), he stands up and strikes his signature pose in bed. Rem cringed, and so did I.

To be honest, watching the royal selection felt like watching rent-a-girlfriend. I just hated Subaru so much I felt like punching my screen. After all he said about Emilia throughout the series, he prioritized his pride over her feelings; even after she explicitly asked him not to do anything stupid. But, well, everyone is different, and if you or anyone else didn't have any problems with it, then that's great and I wish I felt that way aswell
Oct 29, 2021 1:35 PM
Jul 2018
Deane said:
Dev_007 said:

I do remember one time where right after he died and woke up in one of the beds in Roswaal's mansion (with Rem and possibly also Ram waiting for him to wake up), he stands up and strikes his signature pose in bed. Rem cringed, and so did I.

To be honest, watching the royal selection felt like watching rent-a-girlfriend. I just hated Subaru so much I felt like punching my screen. After all he said about Emilia throughout the series, he prioritized his pride over her feelings; even after she explicitly asked him not to do anything stupid. But, well, everyone is different, and if you or anyone else didn't have any problems with it, then that's great and I wish I felt that way aswell
Yes ofc, it is literally meant to be cringe.

Good, you experienced the royal selection sequence like it was intended. It's literally meant to make you cringe and despise Subaru for what he did. The previous 2 arcs already established Subaru's flaws very well and what happened during the royal selection was bound to happen eventually.
Oct 29, 2021 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Deane said:
Dev_007 said:

I'm not sure if you understood this but Subaru had no idea he died when he did that pose. Also, his trauma never showed up when it was convenient either and everything he did made perfect sense from how he was characterized.
removed-userOct 29, 2021 1:49 PM
Oct 29, 2021 1:52 PM

Feb 2017
Well, it's your own opinion and it's what you enjoy. I (do really) hate Re;Zero, but I love Steins;Gate. So there's no problem here...

Teh real problem is when you hit some fanboys' feelings and start roasting you because you just can't say anything against their favorite anime, because it is a "masterpiece" (it can be either Re:Zero or Steins;Gate, they have this kind of cancerous fanboys in either sides...)

Don't be afraid to express your thoughts. Enjoy what you pleases the most. But please... for God's sake... don't say that your favorite anime is a "masterpiece", these kind of people are retarded AF...
We are EVERYWHERE...
Oct 29, 2021 2:02 PM

Sep 2018
MothQAQ said:
Deane said:

I'm not sure if you understood this but Subaru had no idea he died when he did that pose. Also, his trauma never showed up when it was convenient either and everything he did made perfect sense from how he was characterized.

It honestly doesn’t matter if he didn’t know he died. Yeah him making that pose right after waking up makes sense according to his character, but only because they established that his character is goofy and not realistic. That’s what I meant by that.

I guess you could say “oh but it’s an anime and it fits how he was established”, but when they’re trying to paint a realistic portrait of mental trauma, when he does goofy unrealistic things, it just breaks my immersion.

Again, “breaking the immersion” is a subjective thing, so I’m not saying it was objectively bad. Also, this got a lot better in later seasons.
Oct 29, 2021 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
Deane said:
MothQAQ said:

It honestly doesn’t matter if he didn’t know he died. Yeah him making that pose right after waking up makes sense according to his character, but only because they established that his character is goofy and not realistic. That’s what I meant by that.

I guess you could say “oh but it’s an anime and it fits how he was established”, but when they’re trying to paint a realistic portrait of mental trauma, when he does goofy unrealistic things, it just breaks my immersion.

Again, “breaking the immersion” is a subjective thing, so I’m not saying it was objectively bad. Also, this got a lot better in later seasons.
You thinking that how Subaru acts is "unrealistic" is just your lack of understanding of what depression is and how it affects people. Him waking up and making that pose is very realistic. In the LN Subaru describes his first 4 days at the Roswaal manor as days where he finally felt joy. Him acting happy and energetic then is very realistic. The image of depression you have probably contradicts that though but that is just your misunderstanding of what depression really is. Depression is something that can be very different from person to person and being able to be and feel energetic or happy doesn't mean that you don't have depression.

His other behaviors can also be perfectly explained. Is it unrealistic to not have good social skills? Is it unrealistic to be overly energetic and happy after finally feeling happiness after not feeling as such for a very long time? Is it unrealistic to try and act like your dad since that is an expectation you've had to burden yourself your entire life but in the end, you fail miserably to imitate him? Is it unrealistic to act on emotions rather than logic, like he did during the royal selection? Is it unrealistic to idealize a person because of your own insecurities and therefore act selfishly contrary to that person you idealized wishes because the idealized version you have in your head would surely understand you?
The answer to these questions is quite obviously no and I hope your answer is the same. All these questions basically explain Subaru's behavior throughout the beginning of the series. As you can see there is clearly nothing unrealistic about how Subaru acted at all.

https://twitter.com/Gluttony_Bishop/status/1453936042508234755 Here is a great thread about depression in Re:zero and why it is such a great representation. (Minor WN/LN Spoilers)
removed-userOct 29, 2021 4:00 PM
Oct 29, 2021 4:04 PM

Sep 2018
MothQAQ said:
Deane said:

You thinking that how Subaru acts is "unrealistic" is just your lack of understanding of what depression is and how it affects people. Him waking up and making that pose is very realistic. In the LN Subaru describes his first 4 days at the Roswaal manor as days where he finally felt joy. Him acting happy and energetic then is very realistic. The image of depression you have probably contradicts that though but that is just your misunderstanding of what depression really is. Depression is something that can be very different from person to person and being able to be and feel energetic or happy doesn't mean that you don't have depression.

His other behaviors can also be perfectly explained. Is it unrealistic to not have good social skills? Is it unrealistic to be overly energetic and happy after finally feeling happiness after not feeling as such for a very long time? Is it unrealistic to try and act like your dad since that is something that is an expectation you've had to burden yourself your entire life but in the end, you fail miserably to imitate him? Is it unrealistic to act on emotions rather than logic, like he did during the royal selection? Is it unrealistic to idealize a person because of your own insecurities and therefore act selfishly contrary to that person you idealized wishes because the idealized version you have in your head would surely understand you?
The answer to these questions is quite obviously no and I hope your answer is the same. All these questions basically explain Subaru's behavior throughout the beginning of the series. As you can see there is clearly nothing unrealistic about how Subaru acted at all.

https://twitter.com/Gluttony_Bishop/status/1453936042508234755 Here is a great thread about depression in Re:zero and why it is such a great representation. (Minor WN/LN Spoilers)

For the sake of a fair discussion, I'm gonna ignore the fact you just assumed I don't understand what depression is like. That was in very poor taste.

I can understand what you mean, but the things you're saying can only be said in hindsight after knowing context that only comes in season 2, or with content from the light novel. The conversation was about season 1 of the anime, and within that context it was very unrealistic and "anime-like".

Unfortunately, I haven't read the light novel yet, but I plan to one day. For that reason, I'm not gonna read that twitter thread about depression in Re:Zero (though it does seem interesting), since I don't want to be spoiled on anything. I'll save it for after I've read the LN or WN though :)
Oct 29, 2021 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
Deane said:
MothQAQ said:

His other behaviors can also be perfectly explained. Is it unrealistic to not have good social skills? Is it unrealistic to be overly energetic and happy after finally feeling happiness after not feeling as such for a very long time? Is it unrealistic to try and act like your dad since that is something that is an expectation you've had to burden yourself your entire life but in the end, you fail miserably to imitate him? Is it unrealistic to act on emotions rather than logic, like he did during the royal selection? Is it unrealistic to idealize a person because of your own insecurities and therefore act selfishly contrary to that person you idealized wishes because the idealized version you have in your head would surely understand you?

For the sake of a fair discussion, I'm gonna ignore the fact you just assumed I don't understand what depression is like. That was in very poor taste.

I can understand what you mean, but the things you're saying can only be said in hindsight after knowing context that only comes in season 2, or with content from the light novel. The conversation was about season 1 of the anime, and within that context it was very unrealistic and "anime-like".

Unfortunately, I haven't read the light novel yet, but I plan to one day. For that reason, I'm not gonna read that twitter thread about depression in Re:Zero (though it does seem interesting), since I don't want to be spoiled on anything. I'll save it for after I've read the LN or WN though :)
I wouldn't say I just assumed it since you basically stated that it was an unrealistic representation of mental trauma because he does goofy things, which is simply not the case. If you are doing goofy things then that doesn't mean that you don't have mental trauma. I mean, Subaru's behavior is perfectly in line with the impact traumatic events can have on people so I don't see why you would even think that the representation of it was unrealistic. Also, I for some reason thought that you meant depression when you said mental trauma so that was my mistake.

Him having depression, bad social skills, being energetic and happy because he felt joy, acting on emotions rather than logic, and building up an idolized image of Emilia are all things the anime shows either explicitly or implicitly. Understanding all of those things are more than enough to understand that how Subaru acted was indeed realistic so saying that the anime lacked those things are simply not true. They just aren't very well contextualized but they are contextualized to an acceptable degree I'd say. You just have to read between the lines a bit to understand them.
Oct 29, 2021 5:28 PM

Sep 2018
MothQAQ said:
Deane said:

I wouldn't say I just assumed it since you basically stated that it was an unrealistic representation of mental trauma because he does goofy things, which is simply not the case. If you are doing goofy things then that doesn't mean that you don't have mental trauma. I mean, Subaru's behavior is perfectly in line with the impact traumatic events can have on people so I don't see why you would even think that the representation of it was unrealistic. Also, I for some reason thought that you meant depression when you said mental trauma so that was my mistake.

Him having depression, bad social skills, being energetic and happy because he felt joy, acting on emotions rather than logic, and building up an idolized image of Emilia are all things the anime shows either explicitly or implicitly. Understanding all of those things are more than enough to understand that how Subaru acted was indeed realistic so saying that the anime lacked those things are simply not true. They just aren't very well contextualized but they are contextualized to an acceptable degree I'd say. You just have to read between the lines a bit to understand them.

I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oct 29, 2021 5:46 PM
Mar 2021
I think both of them are equally good, Steins;gate is better constructed but Re:Zero has more interesting characters (really aside from Okabe and Kurisu the extended cast of Steins;gate is decent, but not super special). Steins;gate is an easier watch and that's probably why it's so highly rated, but Re:Zero is willing to be a bit difficult, to force us to follow a frustrating, stubborn, immature, mediocre guy beat his head against a wall for ages. Subaru is a lot less charismatic than Okabe, but maybe even a better character as a result. When he does win, he earns it by maturing, paying attention to his surroundings, using the tiny handful of actual skills he has, and not taking people for granted but being able to put his trust in them.

also I'm not in Team Emilia or Team {redacted}, I like Ram and Crusch, lol.
Nov 5, 2021 2:50 PM
Nov 2016
Re:Zero is a solid 8/10 anime for me, however, Steins;Gate is a solid 11/10 anime for me.

Steins;Gate is the best anime I've watched, the 2nd half (episode 13 and up) completely blew my mind and had everything I love about animes. The 2nd half was simply awesome and I don't think I will watch another anime in my lifetime that will surpass Steins;Gate.

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

32 by KuyaC »»
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.