Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 19, 2021 2:39 PM
Nov 2018
I always wanted to finish gintama...i started it from scratch last week and literally forced myself to watch 13-14 episodes... didn't laugh a single time..cringed a lot , i just couldn't enjoy it..Is it worth continuing?

Also I dropped konosuba on like ep4 ..shit was cringy asf...maybe comedy is not for me?
Sep 19, 2021 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
Yeah anime is supposed to be fun, no need to force yourself to watch anything.

To be fair J-comedy is weird in its own right, and Gintama tries to break-off with regular comedy to explore quirks, either of J-language, or just of some stuff that stroke the author at the moment. In a way it's super abstract, but there's also a lot of poop humour cause it's also a staple of J-humour.

In my experience I've always more respected how far Sorachi can go imagination wise than just laughing out loud.
Sep 19, 2021 2:48 PM

Nov 2020
sDiatog said:
I always wanted to finish gintama...i started it from scratch last week and literally forced myself to watch 13-14 episodes... didn't laugh a single time..cringed a lot , i just couldn't enjoy it..Is it worth continuing?

Also I dropped konosuba on like ep4 ..shit was cringy asf...maybe comedy is not for me?
hmmmmm...........if u want action then u will see that after season 4 first half from where the main arc's starts.........I am watchin gintama rn and is on silver soul arc that is the last season o gintama and I enjoyed almost every ep of gintama till now.........I watched every ep and do I say it was worth it? yes it is definately worth it.......I liked the comedy in gintama from starting..........after sometimes u can get bored with the comedy and want some action .......there were some fights in between but most of eps were comedy only..........but when the main arc start gintama again is 10/10............I would reccomend u to not drop it cause it is awesome as f for me and some eps maybe cringy asf for u but not all........

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Sep 19, 2021 2:51 PM
Feb 2021
sDiatog said:

ngl I also dropped konosuba will pick it up again but in my opinion you should still continue to watch all my friends who love gintama say it becomes good after 30 episodes and it's true in my opinion its one of the best comedies and action Shounen I have watched but if you still want to drop it you can do it everyone has their likings and if you aren't a fan of comedy I understand
Sep 19, 2021 2:51 PM

Aug 2013
Without the paragraph, the point of Gintama is to stay in it for the long haul.

If you don't see yourself enjoying the journey, don't force yourself, anime is supposed to be enjoyable and that means something different for everyone.
Sep 19, 2021 2:53 PM

Jul 2017
Hmm yeah drop it
seems like the straight man comedy routine is not for you
Besides of you don't enjoy a show don't force yourself to watch
Sep 19, 2021 2:54 PM
Dec 2019
I thought of dropping Gintama a few times but it does get a lot better. The humour also improves as the series goes on. I just finished Gintama today and it really was worth my time
Sep 19, 2021 3:09 PM

Aug 2019
I dropped Gintama after like 50 episodes several years ago.
Which is weird because if you take a look at my list you'll see that I actually love bizarre stuff, but for some reason it just never clicked with me. Maybe it was the length?

I just moved it from dropped to on-hold, maybe later on I'll continue watching it.

I don't even remember if it had arcs or if it was episodic, having to rewatch some of those 50 sounds troublesome too.
Sep 19, 2021 3:19 PM
Jun 2020
AiNoMukidashi said:
I dropped Gintama after like 50 episodes several years ago.
Which is weird because if you take a look at my list you'll see that I actually love bizarre stuff, but for some reason it just never clicked with me. Maybe it was the length?

I just moved it from dropped to on-hold, maybe later on I'll continue watching it.

I don't even remember if it had arcs or if it was episodic, having to rewatch some of those 50 sounds troublesome too.

I believe 50 was where the first serious arc starts, otherwise i think ep 48. Before that it’s pretty episodic or has mini arcs of two eps. It’s mainly character introduction in the beginning
Sep 19, 2021 3:19 PM
Aug 2019
As a last resort before dropping it, try to watch just ep 25. It's one of the early glimpse of the most hilarious comedy gintama has and it's an standalone no spoilers episode, if it doesn't provoke you any kind of laughter you should consider dropping it. At the beginning most of the comedy episodes are kinda tedious to watch, but as long as u keep getting deep into the series the comedy gets progressively better, and episode 25 is a great example of the funniest gintama side.

Still, if enjoy ep 25 it doesn't mean u will enjoy the first 30-40 episodes or so, but just saying to make you understand that most of gintama watchers commit to cross the unfunny line to enjoy one of the best comedy anime of all time
Sep 19, 2021 3:34 PM

Jul 2015
Lots of jokes from earlier episodes are references to trends, which were popular back back then.
They are not anymore, so obviously jokes wouldn't be funny.

On the other hand, I detest Kagura. She is disgusting and generally not funny.
Seeing her antics in episode 65 literally made me nauseous.

Sep 19, 2021 5:33 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
sDiatog said:

It’s not for everyone 🤷🏼‍♂️ I think if you’re cringing, not finding things funny, or you couldn’t enjoy it then it’s not for you. You either love it or just think it’s meh. I doubt your opinion will change much. Gintama is what it is. If your looking for a super serious show look elsewhere.
Sep 19, 2021 5:35 PM
Feb 2021
Might not be your type of show. I'd say give it till episode 25 at your own pace of course. If you don't like it by then... Then it's your choice if you want to drop it or not. Don't force yourself to watch something you don't like.
Sep 19, 2021 5:52 PM
Apr 2021
Watch another 10 episodes, if y
Sep 19, 2021 6:52 PM
Nov 2020
Well, this anime is rather hard to understand if you don’t know much about Japanese stuff. It normally make fun of lots of manga and anime, and also Japanese celebrities. If you don’t feel hilarious and don’t understand the humour, then it could be hard to enjoy the anime.
Sep 19, 2021 8:57 PM
Dec 2014
You have to take into account that it's quite an old shonen show, and they usually tend to take a lot of episodes to get into the real things.
Sep 19, 2021 9:34 PM
Nov 2020
So you're not comedy enjoyer.. Pick some action or romance
Sep 19, 2021 9:36 PM

Jun 2020
u shouldn't watch something u don't enjoy, i dont see a problem w/ dropping stuff u dont like, but ur choice if u wanna continue
Sep 20, 2021 2:07 AM
Nov 2018
i have already picked up 20th century boys...i'll give myself some time before picking Gintama up again.for now im dropping it... I really don't think comedy is for me I used to enjoy comedy when i started watching anime back in 2017 but over the years it feels repetitive and obvious at times

Thank you all

P.S. read 20th century boys
Sep 20, 2021 7:54 AM

Aug 2021
I personally loved gintama from the first 3 episodes itself... I have been totally invested in each episode for the 99% of the time... There are rarely any episodes that don't make me laugh or care about something...

Idk why anyone wouldn't like gintama... It has really deep and heartfelt moments.. , great music , each character has proper backstory and motivation and ideals (other than sa chan)..

If you didn't like the first 10 episodes you should probably drop it... No point in watching something just because someone else like me likes it .. for example everyone likes code grass but I hated it..
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Sep 20, 2021 7:56 AM

Aug 2021
Btw do u mind telling me your age and how many animes u have watched yet.. .. just curious
Stawberry Milk Supremacy
Sep 21, 2021 3:43 PM
Feb 2017
Yeah yeah drop it and go watch some politics late night program....so much fun

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Yesterday, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

almozayaf - Jul 28, 2009

95 by SPG_Anima »»
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Oct 3, 2009

107 by DaveyUwU »»
Apr 20, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

88 by decco6226 »»
Apr 16, 2:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.