Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 11, 2021 7:29 AM
Oct 2018
Just what the title says. Is the last episode of manga adds something new to the story of the original visual novel? Does it change something in a significant way? Or is this just an inferior shortened version without music and 90% of the original text?
Jun 11, 2021 4:28 PM

Mar 2019
Twilight of the Golden Witch manga has something that's not in the VN: Confession of the Golden Witch story. Basically the story
-Mention-Jun 11, 2021 4:34 PM

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Jun 26, 2021 9:15 AM
Nov 2009
I finished the manga awhile ago and currently reading the VN as of now just finished episode 2 and comparing it a bit with the manga. What I notice is that the manga adaptation is clearer, you get better context, every setting is drawn and not to mention the added backstory which ties everything in a neat way.

The manga has its ups and downs compared to the VN (the voice acting and music are great and the extra dialogue adds to the characters) but I wouldn't downgrade it as inferior.

Jun 27, 2021 3:17 AM

Jun 2016
mikzflava said:
I finished the manga awhile ago and currently reading the VN as of now just finished episode 2 and comparing it a bit with the manga. What I notice is that the manga adaptation is clearer, you get better context, every setting is drawn and not to mention the added backstory which ties everything in a neat way.

The manga has its ups and downs compared to the VN (the voice acting and music are great and the extra dialogue adds to the characters) but I wouldn't downgrade it as inferior.

The manga spoonfeeds you way too much and goes against the mystery where you are supposed to figure things out by yourself which is the main aspect of the vn. It butchers a lot of metafictional narrative layers from the vn almost entirely and creates some dumb plot holes early on because there is no clear separation of those like there is in the vn (bodies that shouldn't be seen, etc). It also misses out on few key elements of question arc, some examples would be; one important foreshadowing in ep 1 in the George and Shannon scene, certain conversation in first few chapters of ep 2, characterization of Maria and Ange ep 4.
Jun 27, 2021 4:46 AM
Nov 2009
Edocchi said:
mikzflava said:

The manga spoonfeeds you way too much and goes against the mystery where you are supposed to figure things out by yourself which is the main aspect of the vn. It butchers a lot of metafictional narrative layers from the vn almost entirely and creates some dumb plot holes early on because there is no clear separation of those like there is in the vn (bodies that shouldn't be seen, etc). It also misses out on few key elements of question arc, some examples would be; one important foreshadowing in ep 1 in the George and Shannon scene, certain conversation in first few chapters of ep 2, characterization of Maria and Ange ep 4.

I agree the mystery aspect was almost nonexistant in the manga but I'd argue the whole story is more than just a mystery genre. The whole "figuring things out by yourself" stops making sense when it's presented to you in a consice way. Whatever you prefer then becomes a matter of taste. As of episode 2 I did notice some difference that could've had better impact had it also been in the manga but nothing that I see would impact the story as a whole. Then again if you enjoy that kind of thing I understand why the manga would be a turn off.

I also don't see why it butchers the metafictional narrative (it's very convoluted to begin with). Piece Battler, purgatory Battler and Featherine's assistant Battler all boils down to how the reader interprets this all. The plothole you mention, I thought that was explained in ep 7? Whenever piece Battler wasn't in the scene Beato could just show purgatory Battler whatever just to confuse him. And as readers we are mostly shown purgatory Battler's view.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch Chapter 42 Discussion

allenjke - Mar 11, 2016

35 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 29, 2023 8:05 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch Chapter 41 Discussion

Kitsu-nee - Mar 2, 2018

3 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 29, 2023 5:22 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch Chapter 40 Discussion

DefeatingMe - Oct 29, 2023

0 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 29, 2023 4:27 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch Chapter 39 Discussion

Kitsu-nee - Mar 2, 2018

1 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 29, 2023 3:15 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru - Episode 8: Twilight of the Golden Witch Chapter 38 Discussion

Kitsu-nee - Feb 27, 2018

1 by DefeatingMe »»
Oct 29, 2023 2:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.