Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 10, 2021 8:37 AM
Jul 2018
I have seen a lot of people saying things like Akito should be punished, needs to be made to pay for her crimes, etc. I feel like some of these people are missing the point. Akito will pay, in her own way, mostly through continued psychological suffering over what she did that we have already seen beginning in the past couple episodes. But this story was never about defeating the antagonist by "making them pay" in some traditional sense. From the beginning Furuba was an episodic series in which Tohru had to face a different 'antagonist' every week or so, and these antagonists were the inner demons of the Sohma family. Every time she is presented with a new Sohma it is her role to help them face their inner demons and accept themselves, and each time she helps one of them, she gets closer to her ultimate goal, which is to free the family from the curse/ the past and to be with Kyo. This story structure comes to a head at the end of S1 when Tohru finally helps Kyo, the most troubled character of that season, face and accept his 'true form'. It comes to a head again in S2 with both Yuki and Rin.

From the beginning Akito was presented as the biggest threat to Tohru's wishes coming true, thus the story was building to the moment when Tohru will finally have to do for Akito what she did for the others, and it is made clear that it will be much harder with Akito because their goals are directly opposed. And it is hard. Tohru gets cut up with a knife and then falls off a cliff. But her struggle succeeds. She wins. There's almost nothing standing in the way of her and Kyo now, besides their own silliness as seen in ep 10. But the threat has been removed.

Just wanted to say this because I feel like it is relevant to all the discussion going on about Akito and whether she deserves redemption. I think it is necessary to look at it through a different lens. Akito is an important character but she is not the protagonist. Tohru is. Ultimately Akito exists to serve Tohru's story and this is a story about Tohru getting what she wants through her kindness and ability to forgive.
Jun 10, 2021 9:09 AM

Aug 2020
dunno what i am supposed to say but you are 100% right
Jun 10, 2021 9:09 AM
Feb 2021
newchaotic said:
I have seen a lot of people saying things like Akito should be punished, needs to be made to pay for her crimes, etc. I feel like some of these people are missing the point. Akito will pay, in her own way, mostly through continued psychological suffering over what she did that we have already seen beginning in the past couple episodes. But this story was never about defeating the antagonist by "making them pay" in some traditional sense. From the beginning Furuba was an episodic series in which Tohru had to face a different 'antagonist' every week or so, and these antagonists were the inner demons of the Sohma family. Every time she is presented with a new Sohma it is her role to help them face their inner demons and accept themselves, and each time she helps one of them, she gets closer to her ultimate goal, which is to free the family from the curse/ the past and to be with Kyo. This story structure comes to a head at the end of S1 when Tohru finally helps Kyo, the most troubled character of that season, face and accept his 'true form'. It comes to a head again in S2 with both Yuki and Rin.

From the beginning Akito was presented as the biggest threat to Tohru's wishes coming true, thus the story was building to the moment when Tohru will finally have to do for Akito what she did for the others, and it is made clear that it will be much harder with Akito because their goals are directly opposed. And it is hard. Tohru gets cut up with a knife and then falls off a cliff. But her struggle succeeds. She wins. There's almost nothing standing in the way of her and Kyo now, besides their own silliness as seen in ep 10. But the threat has been removed.

Just wanted to say this because I feel like it is relevant to all the discussion going on about Akito and whether she deserves redemption. I think it is necessary to look at it through a different lens. Akito is an important character but she is not the protagonist. Tohru is. Ultimately Akito exists to serve Tohru's story and this is a story about Tohru getting what she wants through her kindness and ability to forgive.
yeah I agree with you
Jun 10, 2021 11:26 AM

Jul 2019
To add to this, Akito's only "crime" that could be tried in court was locking Rin up in episodes 3-4 hoping she would starve to death.

Akito was a legal minor for everything else she did and there was no chance in hell she could be legally punished for any of it. The adults of the Sohma Estate kept it all quiet because if the authorities got involved, they would all get sent to prison instead for the constant cases of child abuse (Akito's case included), kidnapping (Ren, the Zodiac cats), as well as continued obstruction of justice.

What Akito ultimately did to Kureno (after Ren tried to murder her btw) was a mental breakdown, even as an adult there was no way she would be charged with jail time for it. The people who think Akito deserved to be punished are missing the point of the story and reducing Akito to some depth-less shounen villain that needed to be defeated.
Jun 10, 2021 12:30 PM
Feb 2021
More like she saved Akito.
Jun 10, 2021 7:24 PM

Oct 2018
Damn man, I got spoiled by looking at this thread...

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jun 10, 2021 8:56 PM
Oct 2019
Well put words OP. I hope more people will read this thread so they'll stop thinking about the series not showing Akito suffering. Given her character, I'm very sure that she'll reflect on her past actions lifelong, I guess that's more than enough.
Jun 10, 2021 9:06 PM

Feb 2021
rather than saying "Defeated" (It's not like this a battle Anime..lol) , you should use the term "Pacified" or "Be-friended" because this is what really happened...
Jun 10, 2021 9:18 PM
Apr 2021
The best thing that could’ve happened to Akito and everyone, is that Akito became good and rational. All the choices are up to her so it’s amazing how she changed. If she was punished or something, I don’t think everyone would get their happy ending. She wouldn’t made some choices to mess up someone’s life. This is the satisfying ending.
Jun 13, 2021 2:01 PM

Jan 2021
Well Tohru didn’t really “defeat“ her more like save her.
And I kinda agree with you?
Jun 14, 2021 11:08 PM

Nov 2019
Akito stabbed Kureno, hurt Tohru and reached the darkest depths of her character status. And Tohru won her by love. That's all I can say. But to speak, the truth, Akito was always meant to be defeated, and she knew it. She admitted in the inside that she was always losing to Tohru on grounds of genuine love and care ever since their violent meeting back in S2. That's why she chose to confront Tohru after she reached the abyss.

So, Akito was always being defeated by Tohru directly or indirectly for a long time, and it was a continuous process not an endgame development.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Sep 14, 2021 9:30 AM
Feb 2018
Finally someone who gets it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2021

317 by ducvub10 »»
Apr 22, 10:50 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2021

163 by FardinRimon »»
Apr 17, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2021

169 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 9:06 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2021

165 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 25, 1:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket: The Final Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 19, 2021

158 by Kris08 »»
Mar 5, 11:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.