Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 9, 2021 6:06 AM
:P

Aug 2016
I have the visual novel and the anime in my ptw but idk which I should start withh.
May 9, 2021 6:20 AM

May 2016
Read the VN first, it is the superior version of the story, it is much more detailed obviously, also huke's art is phenomenal.

I hope you bought the original Steins;Gate and not Steins;Gate "Elite" (which is really far from being elite).

If you have the steam version, make sure to install the Committee of Zero improvement patch: http://sonome.dareno.me/projects/sghd.html

(btw, most people in this forum are mainly anime oriented people who are not really into VNs, so they will probably say "anime first")
-
May 9, 2021 7:17 AM

Aug 2016
SciADV_Maniac said:
Read the VN first, it is the superior version of the story, it is much more detailed obviously, also huke's art is phenomenal.

I hope you bought the original Steins;Gate and not Steins;Gate "Elite" (which is really far from being elite).

If you have the steam version, make sure to install the Committee of Zero improvement patch: http://sonome.dareno.me/projects/sghd.html

(btw, most people in this forum are mainly anime oriented people who are not really into VNs, so they will probably say "anime first")

Thank you! I did get the "elite' version but thankfully I didn't buy it I downloaded it for free lmao
May 9, 2021 7:31 AM

May 2016
CassieNiquie said:
SciADV_Maniac said:

Thank you! I did get the "elite' version but thankfully I didn't buy it I downloaded it for free lmao

The improvement patch only works with legal Steam versions of the game, though there are pre-patched versions on a certain pirate site which I can't tell here obviously.
-
May 9, 2021 8:12 AM

Aug 2016
SciADV_Maniac said:
CassieNiquie said:

The improvement patch only works with legal Steam versions of the game, though there are pre-patched versions on a certain pirate site which I can't tell here obviously.

Ty for the heads up. I'll do some research to see should buy the game or just find a free version with the patch.
May 9, 2021 12:10 PM
Jan 2020
SciADV_Maniac said:

What did they do wrong in the elite version? Am curious because I was planning on getting it.
May 9, 2021 12:12 PM

Dec 2020
Both are very good, though the anime cuts out some of the fluff of the first half of the vn.
May 9, 2021 12:32 PM

Sep 2018
OnlyaBunny said:
SciADV_Maniac said:

What did they do wrong in the elite version? Am curious because I was planning on getting it.

The selling point of Steins;Gate Elite was animating the parts that were cut from the anime, like the various VN endings.

That purpose is lost since they cut corners (both in terms of animated frames and cut content) on every part they had to animate from scratch, making Elite just a middle ground between the anime and the original VN.

It may still be worth reading in place of a rewatch/reread, but it isn't better than the two other versions of the story.
NirinboMay 9, 2021 12:38 PM
May 9, 2021 12:55 PM

May 2016
OnlyaBunny said:
SciADV_Maniac said:

They cut content from the original. An "Elite" version should offer more/better than the original version. Like what Mages did with Robotics;Notes Elite, where Elite is an actual improvement compared to the original Robotics;Notes (both in visuals and story).

Steins;Gate Elite is not just an inferior version because of the cut content, it is inferior because of the new animated scenes as well, which are having a lower quality and also a bit different artstyle than the original scenes from the anime. (the new animated scenes was made by the crew of Steins;Gate 0 anime, which had also inferior animation compared to Steins;Gate anime)

There is only one thing which makes S;G Elite "worth" it is, that Linear Bounded Phenogram can be only purchased in a bundle with Elite. You cannot buy Phenogram separately unfortunately.
-
May 9, 2021 4:08 PM

Jan 2020
Just watch the anime. It's as perfect as possible

May 9, 2021 4:39 PM

May 2016
ManWild said:
Just watch the anime. It's as perfect as possible

It is certainly not perfect as possible. There is one sin in the anime which I can't forgive

-
May 9, 2021 6:05 PM
Nov 2016
Personally I recommend the anime first, it's a pretty damn good anime and definitely one of the best animes around, not to mention it's also the best adaptation from a VN that you will ever find in an anime.

The VN is also good but you have to read a lot there, I prefer the anime since it's faster to complete and you will still enjoy it... A LOT... there's a reason why this anime is highly rated, it's fucking good.

Afterwards you can play the VN and see the other things that wasn't adapted in the anime.

Another good thing in going for the anime is that you can sit back and relax with some coca-cola and pop corn, with a VN you will be too busy reading and you will be READING A LOT.
May 9, 2021 6:10 PM
Jul 2018
The VN is really awesome. #KurisuBestGirl.
May 9, 2021 8:28 PM
Sep 2020
the VN is the best and you get to see everyone's endings in depth if you choose which i'm pretty sure you need to see all alternate endings before finishing the game and reaching steins gate aka the true ending, as someone who has 100% completion on all achievements for steins gate i 11/10 recommend playing the full VN before the anime
May 9, 2021 9:31 PM

Aug 2016
tibreggin said:
the VN is the best and you get to see everyone's endings in depth if you choose which i'm pretty sure you need to see all alternate endings before finishing the game and reaching steins gate aka the true ending, as someone who has 100% completion on all achievements for steins gate i 11/10 recommend playing the full VN before the anime

How long does it take to complete all of the routes ?
May 9, 2021 9:42 PM
Jan 2020
SciADV_Maniac said:
OnlyaBunny said:

They cut content from the original. An "Elite" version should offer more/better than the original version. Like what Mages did with Robotics;Notes Elite, where Elite is an actual improvement compared to the original Robotics;Notes (both in visuals and story).

Steins;Gate Elite is not just an inferior version because of the cut content, it is inferior because of the new animated scenes as well, which are having a lower quality and also a bit different artstyle than the original scenes from the anime. (the new animated scenes was made by the crew of Steins;Gate 0 anime, which had also inferior animation compared to Steins;Gate anime)

There is only one thing which makes S;G Elite "worth" it is, that Linear Bounded Phenogram can be only purchased in a bundle with Elite. You cannot buy Phenogram separately unfortunately.
Ah, thats really unfortunate. I thought it would have been a great excuse to revisit the game.
May 9, 2021 11:52 PM

May 2016
CassieNiquie said:
tibreggin said:

About 40 hours, with average reading speed
-
May 10, 2021 7:57 AM
Sep 2020
CassieNiquie said:
tibreggin said:

around 47 hours that's the time on my game that is
May 10, 2021 10:02 AM

Dec 2019
haven’t played the vn yet, planning to really soon, but obviously I watched the anime first and loved it to death, I think you’re fine either way tbh. both are great from what I’ve heard.
May 10, 2021 1:16 PM
Apr 2020
I would say anime first. The reason being that the VN is a lot more detailed, and so you'll enjoy and appreciate the extra content in the VN after watching the anime. They're both really great though. I would ignore the order reccomendation of the VN people mainly because the anime adaption is really good and so I think that's a much better way to see if you like something. The 30 plus hour VN is a big commitment in my opinion unless you already know you like it.
May 10, 2021 1:28 PM

Aug 2016
Johnalexanderlit said:
I would say anime first. The reason being that the VN is a lot more detailed, and so you'll enjoy and appreciate the extra content in the VN after watching the anime. They're both really great though. I would ignore the order reccomendation of the VN people mainly because the anime adaption is really good and so I think that's a much better way to see if you like something. The 30 plus hour VN is a big commitment in my opinion unless you already know you like it.

You have a good point. I actually have no clue what steins gate is about all i know is that it’s good
May 10, 2021 4:25 PM
Jan 2021
I haven't read the Visual Novel, but im almost everything, the source material is better.
May 23, 2021 7:28 PM
Dec 2017
go with the visual novel first before you see the anime.

Sep 24, 2021 11:23 AM

Oct 2020
I'm late, but for the others who intend to experience Steins;Gate with the option of a VN and the anime, I recommend watching the anime before reading the visual novel. Why? Because if you intend to experience both, it's better to experience the "worse" before the "better".

This way, you can watch it without comparing the two, which is a turn-off factor, and at the same time be hyped for the small changes through-all the game. The anime does it's best on compressing the VN into 24 episodes, so you can still pretty much enjoy it.

If by any chances you intend to watch the anime and never touch the VN, or play the VN and never touch the anime, go for the VN.

Now a bit off-topic, should you also do it with Steins;Gate 0? As far as I am aware, probably not, because the anime kind of works as a sequel other than an full adaptation of the VN. The structure of them are different. But you can still watch the anime before playing the VN, but less recommended if you do have both the options of playing or watching.

Edit: completing and grammar
lima57Sep 24, 2021 11:36 AM
Sep 29, 2021 6:27 AM

Sep 2021
Don't listen to anyone who is saying anime is superior or same quality as visual novel yeah anime is good adaptation but saying anime is perfect adaptation nah not even close if you have a time source material is always a best choice in most cases so go for visual novel if you like it watch anime for refreshment
The most dangerous irony is, people are angry with others because of their own incompetence

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.