New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 26, 2021 10:51 AM
Aug 2018
Even being so simple RE:Life was a great enjoyable surprise to me though
Mar 26, 2021 10:52 AM
Jul 2018
Haikyuu too.
I even can say I hate (hated) volleyball, but after giving it try... Well, now I'm watching matches from the japanese volleyball team sometimes. That's all I have to say.
Mar 26, 2021 10:53 AM
Aug 2018
Even being so simple, RE:Life was a great enjoyable surprise to me though
Mar 26, 2021 10:55 AM

Aug 2016
Fate/Zero - I really didn't know anything other than it's like a battle royal which was a pretty overdone premise at the time for me.

Rent-a-girlfriend - I don't watch harems at all, and very little ecchi, and this show became my favorite guilty pleasure.
Nothing's new under the sun and that's OK.
Mar 26, 2021 11:04 AM

Oct 2020
-Grisaia Series: My first intention was to come for the harem and ecchiness of the show. I ended up forgetting that, and then liked almost the entire character's backstory

-Parasyte: Thought it's gonna be my usual jumpscarey kind of anime, but boi oh boi it's more than that.

-Golden Time: When I watched it, I was looking for a wholesome romcom anime. I mean yeah, the first half is wholesome, but damn... what I found on the second half, made me cry like hell. An instant favorite. Didn't expect that (also, the romance here is sweet, so that's a plus)

"ꜱᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ᴏꜰ ʜᴇᴀʀᴛ, ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴜɴɪᴛᴇᴅ, ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʙᴀʀʀᴇᴅ ʙʏ ɴᴏ ᴅᴏᴏʀ..." -Aigis
Mar 26, 2021 11:09 AM

Dec 2018
Steins Gate. If it wasn't for someone on this site who convinced me to pick it up again, I would never have finished it.
Mar 26, 2021 11:11 AM

Mar 2021
Mononoke : I knew it had a unique art style which was why I actually started it but I'm blown away by the storytelling , characters and directing more than the art style itself . Best horror anime I've ever seen .

AOT : Despite its general reputation about it , I thought I wouldn't really like it since I'm not a huge fan of battle shounen but its great , especially the final 2 seasons .

5 centimeters per second : Thought of watching it since Your name was made by the same person but I didn't expect it to hit close to home .
shoelacewaxMar 26, 2021 11:16 AM
Mar 26, 2021 11:12 AM
Jul 2018
Gintama, March Comes in like a Lion and Chainsaw Man are all series I didn't expect to like, but now lie among my favourites of all time.
Mar 26, 2021 11:16 AM

Aug 2020
For me it was Kaguya Sama(A Master Piece) and Madoka Magika for its dark nature(The Ending song from ep 3 fucking slaps
Mar 26, 2021 11:20 AM

Apr 2020
i'd have to go with bakuman and school days. really unexpected but i enjoyed both of them a lot

FateMadMan said:
For me it was Kaguya Sama(A Master Piece) and Madoka Magika for its dark nature(The Ending song from ep 3 fucking slaps

u are a beautiful human being comedy anime typically sucks ass and i was surprised too

ㅤ ᅠㅤ join the
ᅠHayasaka club =>

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Mar 26, 2021 11:47 AM
Jun 2020
Probably Nana, since i don't like romance. But boy, this one struck me, a lot
Nissan 350Z
Mar 26, 2021 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Jujutsu Kaisen, I was expecting another average trash like demon slayer but turns out its actually good
Mar 26, 2021 4:42 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Jujutsu Kaisen,

Honestly from the surface, synopsis and the looks of the cover it looks like another generic boring shounen with kinda mediocre story and animation but oh my it far surpassed my expectation, it's pretty enjoyable show with great animation, decent plots, and nice power system ^.^

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 26, 2021 4:59 PM

Jan 2017
Yuru Camp, I never thought camping can be this fun.
Mar 26, 2021 4:59 PM

Nov 2020
Attack on Titan. Expected it to be really overhyped, and thought it’d just be all about fighting titans 24/7. Ended up being my favourite anime with Eren being my favourite character LOOOL
Mar 26, 2021 5:11 PM

Nov 2015
The first one that came to mind is Re:zero.

Land of the lustrous and Berserk are another example.
Mar 26, 2021 9:29 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Most recently, Shield Hero. Isekai for me is mostly mindless fun, but I really got into Naofumi's character arc, and the main cast chemistry together is jus top notch.
Kemono no Souja Erin did have an interesting premise, but I'm not sure if I was thinking it¡d be a 10/10.
Bubuki Buranki and Book of Bantorra also come to mind.
Mar 26, 2021 9:37 PM

Oct 2018
i didn’t think i would like hyouka and madoka much when i first looked at the trailers. i decided to give both of them a try at one point in time and came to like them a lot, especially hyouka. i loved the art style and effects.

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘫𝘢𝘺
Mar 26, 2021 9:39 PM

Nov 2020
Rent a girlfriend and food wars I never thought i’ll like these anime but damn these were very good
Mar 26, 2021 9:45 PM
Mar 26, 2021 9:58 PM
Apr 2019
definetely hibike! euphonium, thought it was gonna be aight anime turns out to be a 8-9/10 anime for me. The yuri bait is also strong with this one LMAO (which i love)
Mar 26, 2021 10:07 PM
Sep 2019
definitely bunny girl senpai. i thought it would be fan service-y trash, but it ended up being one of my favorite portrayals of adolescence in media.
literal commie
Mar 27, 2021 12:13 AM

Jun 2020
i didnt think id like how to raise a boring girlfriend as much as i did. it was a fun watch, albeit its not a very good show
Apr 1, 2021 3:25 PM

Aug 2017
3 Gatsu No Lion.

First season almost bored me to death. I wasn't a fan of the slow pacing and shoji tournaments.

But I kept watching it. The slice of life moments with the Kawamotos are wholesome and a delight to watch.

Second season blew me way and I liked it a lot.

Apr 5, 2021 10:48 PM
Review Moderator
Life is strange.

Jun 2017
When I first encountered [url=https://myanimelist.net/anime/33012/Island?q=Island&cat=anime]Island,[/i] I merely thought that it was just another CGDCT anime.

Oh how wrong I was. It's now my most favorite anime ever.
Apr 6, 2021 6:53 AM

May 2020
Rent a Girlfriend and Kill la Kill..
Apr 6, 2021 7:07 AM

Oct 2019
ouran: i thought it was a stupid shojo.
your name: i used to think it was overrated.
kaguyasama (season2): i truly didnt like the first season but the 2nd is funny.
Apr 6, 2021 7:15 AM

Jan 2020
Angel Beats, the second half of it really made me enjoy it.
Apr 6, 2021 7:18 AM

Feb 2020
There are lots of them but here's the recent two:

1. Love Live! School Idol Project (I never expected to like an idol anime so much but I was so wrong.)

2. Long Riders! (MC and her character deveploment really made this anime for me.)
Apr 6, 2021 7:21 AM
Dec 2019
cute high earth defense club. i went into it not expecting much but i really enjoyed it and ended up binge watching the first two seasons...
Apr 6, 2021 7:29 AM

Jun 2020
More recently — I totally didn’t expect to like Mushoku Tensei, hearing about its bad rep & all & I’m not big on isekai. But all my friends told me it was really good so I gave it a go. Went into it half-expecting it to be trash but wow, I fucking LOVED it. The overarching themes & nuances were so good, not forgetting the art, the music. Loved it!!!!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Apr 6, 2021 8:28 AM

Dec 2020
ouran host club: thought it was gonna be some cliche shoujo reverse harem shit. enjoyed it way more than i expected, one of my comfort shows now lol

haikyuu: first sports anime that i watched more than 5 episodes of so i was quite surprised on how much i was invested in the show

wotakoi: started this show with 0 expectations lol. the tittle made me want to watch it even less but i saw a clip of the op so i wanted to give it a try. one of my favorite romcoms now
Apr 6, 2021 8:36 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
I always knew I'd like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, but I imagined it wouldn't quite live up to the hype. I was so wrong. It's now my favorite anime series.

Ninja Nonsense sounded like it would be the kind of comedy I find cringeworthy, but it's one of the funniest anime I've seen.

Free! had a lot more depth than I was expecting. I'm not really big on sports series so I was surprised about how invested I was for the characters.

I literally had no idea what A Place Further Than the Universe was about, only that it was really popular when it was airing. The insert songs were really catchy and I cried for hours after one particular episode.

I went into School-Live! blind. If you've seen the show, you probably know why I wasn't expecting much throughout most of the first episode... Ended up being the saddest TV show I've ever seen
My greatest contribution to this website:
Apr 6, 2021 8:43 AM

Jul 2019
The big ones I can think of right now is...
(all interchangeable)
1. Hoshiai no Sora
2. March Comes in Like a Lion
3. Non Non Biyori
4. Clannad Afterstory
5. Evangelion
Apr 6, 2021 8:49 AM

Jul 2019
Elmerper5 said:
Angel Beats, the second half of it really made me enjoy it.

Same. After the singing girl's backstory, it just went downhill afterwards (in a good way)
Jun 5, 2021 6:02 PM
Jan 2019
Hunter x Hunter
My expectations wasn't low but wasn't high either.
And now it is my favourite battle shounen
Jun 5, 2021 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
Girls Last Tour was an anime that I really didn't think would be that good. I figured it would be okay but not become one of the greatest I have watched lol. The manga was really good too.
Jun 6, 2021 4:39 AM

Mar 2021
tensura
i don't watch isekai much so i watch it
yarweJun 6, 2021 4:44 AM
Jun 6, 2021 9:49 AM

Jul 2020
Madoka Magica: Me watching this the first time was an on-the-spot decision. "Do I like sparkly things?" Oh boy you're in for a ride of a lifetime. And thus, this show shaped present me a lot, including my interest in magical girls, similarly sparkly things, and Homura Akemi.

Princess Tutu: Was a mere side gig when I decided to binge Attack on Titan (anime) back September last year. But then I decided to watch it that one time I woke up at 3 AM and found it to be a soothing experience. Plus it has one of my favorite endings (not ED, the ending) of any anime. It also felt like I discovered iyashikei before I discovered iyashikei.

Akudama Drive: Studio Pierrot? Oh no. Oh interesting, the guys from Danganronpa are doing the show. And it's cyberpunk. Fine... I'm in. Oh boy does the show ooze with action and STYLE.

Gochiusa: It's just slice of life. But it satiates me in its own way I can't describe. Maybe the cafe setting? Cute girls? Inori Minase? All in all, the anime became my gateway drug into SoL in general, especially of the cute-girls-doing-cute-things kind.

Honorable mentions: Chihayafuru, parts of Monogatari Series, Pui Pui Molcar, and Tropical-Rouge! Precure.

"Come to Kamihama City. In this town, magical girls are saved."
· Ui Tamaki ·

Jun 6, 2021 10:03 AM

Apr 2019
Kill la Kill: Clothing that gives power? Crap...

Midori no Hibi: Just read the synopsis.
Jun 6, 2021 10:03 AM
Nov 2020
sandmanhd703 said:
So yeah which animes you thought it was just gonna be average , overrated , hyped for everyone else or the premise/idea seemed boring or just straight bad Etc. but they surpassed your expectations

For me they would be: Madoka Magica , Shokugeki no Souma , Kaiji , Isekai quartet and Berserk

My Thoughts:

Madoka magica: Magical girls? LOL, is this brony phenomenon 2.0 but for weebs/otakus? that is what I thought, but it was very good.

Shokugeki no souma: An anime about cooking uh that sounds boring that is what I thought , after watching it was very good.

Kaiji:An anime about gambling? LMAO that thing is for boomers and I dont know how to play poker or whatever they do, also what the fuck is wrong with the way how noses are drawn , the art style is weird . Season 1 is an underrated masterpiece and season 2 is very good

Isekai Quartet: the crossover idea is cool but i didn't like the chibi style seemed like a cheap cashgrab that is gonna fail, but the interactions between characters are funny and hilarious, it was good.

Berserk:I mean I liked dark souls, bloodborne and Claymore but I was expecting just mindless gore without a real plot and why something so good and a successful manga doesn't have a proper remake and continuation to the story seems this is gonna be another classic nostalgia thing that doesn't hold up or didn't age well , golden age arc is very good.

I thought Gintama would be a boring anime with pointless comedy. But I was so wrong. It's one of my favorites now(eventhough I'm yet to complete it)
Jun 6, 2021 10:15 AM
Oct 2020
steins gate *3rd fav anime of all time
darling in the franxx a very big surprise *rated it a 9
demon slayer *i love my kimetsu no yaiba a 9 for both the series and the movie
sakamichi no apollon *fav music anime
and so much more since ive been in the anime community for a decade now lol
𝕿𝖔 𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖗𝖆𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖑𝖉. 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊 𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖊𝖝𝖎𝖘𝖙
Jun 6, 2021 10:17 AM
Oct 2020
ProxyLain said:
Kill la Kill: Clothing that gives power? Crap...

Midori no Hibi: Just read the synopsis.

your pfp is so familiar like seeing it gave me some nostalgic feelings where is it from <3
dazaikunbsdJun 6, 2021 10:34 AM
𝕿𝖔 𝖑𝖎𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖗𝖆𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖙 𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖑𝖉. 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝖕𝖊𝖔𝖕𝖑𝖊 𝖏𝖚𝖘𝖙 𝖊𝖝𝖎𝖘𝖙
Aug 6, 2021 9:51 AM
Jul 2021
Of course fruits basket, I thought it was a repetitive shoujo anime, but I was waiting for a big surprise, the character development is perfect, the ostat is amazing, the drawing sterilizes my eyes, the colors are beautiful, the ending is happy and crying because I said goodbye to one of the best anime I have seen in my life, of course I will not forget it Because it left a deep imprint in my heart and a beautiful memory
Aug 6, 2021 10:06 AM

Aug 2018
At first glance, these three looked like just another generic entry in their respective genres but it turns out I was wrong.

S-cry-ed

Kamichu

Iruma-Kun
Aug 6, 2021 10:43 AM
Jul 2018
-My Neighbor Totoro (I thought it would be boring and too childish. But in the end I really liked it. Such a cute movie- and touching too)
-Toradora! (I didn't like the art style very much and it is not my favorite genre. I also didn't like Taigas aggressive behavior. But in the end it was an enjoyable show, although it it not one of my absolute favorites)
-The Vision of Escaflowne (Probably because the art style is a little bit odd, but I loved it and I can understand why it is a classic)
Aug 6, 2021 10:49 AM

Nov 2020
natsume yuujinchou, didnt expect it to be that good.
kara no kyoukai. watched it without any expectation

Aug 6, 2021 10:58 AM
Jul 2018
Steins;Gate, the first half was boring af, but suddenly picks afterwards...
Aug 6, 2021 11:02 AM

May 2021
I honestly thought that One Piece would only have one good arc and then have some mediocre, but it was actually the opposite and it ended up in my top 2

Aug 6, 2021 11:23 AM

Jul 2017
Shinsekai Yori, Baccano, Madoka Magica, & Ping Pong the Animation. These were surprisingly really good anime imo
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you? ( 1 2 )

new_Ango - May 2

52 by Rinrinka »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What makes you rewatch an anime

nishant0 - Apr 5

32 by Rinrinka »»
15 minutes ago

» Best black haired girl? ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - Jan 25

61 by Hikinekomori »»
16 minutes ago

» Out of most favoured female characters in Myanimelist, which ones are waifubaits?

Sanjay63773 - Apr 5

19 by MogKnight »»
17 minutes ago

» Best purple haired girl?

Spunkert - Jan 29

43 by Hikinekomori »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.